Tum Kaafi Ho

Autorstwa _PerfectlySplendid_

where a firefly sparks the light between a separated couple Więcej

L a s t L e t t e r
o n e . Tum Kaafi Ho
t w o. Chalo Delhi
t h r e e . Mowgli aur ShereKhan
f o u r . Ekloti Kamini
f i v e . Archie and Jughead
s i x . Ittefaq
s e v e n . Pavitra Bhagya
e i g h t . DM meets ShereKhan
n i n e . fire and ice
t e n. three deals, one month
e l e v e n. The Khuranas
t w e l v e. fireworks and they
t h i r t e e n. fireflies
f o u r t e e n. plain boring milk
f i f t e e n. Taxi Driver
s i x t e e n. Chocolate Pancakes
s e v e n t e e n. Volleyball and Bruises
e i g h t e e n. Pagal Khana
n i n e t e e n. most precious thing
t w e n t y . charms and riots
t w e n t y o n e . rational decisions
t w e n t y t w o. scary fevers
t w e n t y t h r e e. humane
t w e n t y f o u r. motichoor ke laddoo
t w e n t y f i v e. proximities and relapses
t w e n t y s i x. giant wheels and tiny steps
t w e n t y s e v e n . icecream and walks
t w e n t y e i g h t. mistakes and crimes
t w e n t y n i n e. mothers and daughters and choices
t h i r t y . 2,920 letters
t h i r t y o n e. cold showers and camp nights
t h i r t y t h r e e. girl talk and bear hugs
t h i r t y f o u r. zombies and nightmares
t h i r t y f i v e. home
t h i r t y s i x. choices and chances
t h i r t y s e v e n. merry christmas
t h i r t y e i g h t. worth fighting for
t h i r t y n i n e. exile
f o r t y. a family of her own
f o r t y o n e. boredom and confessions

t h i r t y t w o. vowed to hate

176 27 5
Autorstwa _PerfectlySplendid_

t h i r t y t w o. vowed to hate

One week.

That was all Reyansh had with him until the girls left him for good.

And what was he going to do in that one week?

Nothing.

He was going to do absolutely nothing about it.

There was nothing to do honestly, he would rather give the girls a good farewell than make them uneasy and uncomfortable. It had been a good three weeks and he was going to cherish this month for the rest of his life. And it was only fair to let things remain the way they were.

Reyansh ignored the way his heart would betrayed him whenever Pranati was around, or how warm and giddy he felt whenever Jugnu addressed him as her father and continued to keep his head low and go on with the last week. He was of course planning a last surprise for his daughter, the last gift he could give which she will remember him by.

Not as a father, but atleast as a friend, as a guardian.

"So nothing, you are really not going to do anything?" His grandmother asked him when Reyansh came to oil and massage her head. She looked up at the boy and pouted, "really Rey, you are going to let your girls go?"

His girls.

Reyansh smiled, patting his grandmother's hair and massaging the scalp. "Daadi, they will always be my girls, they don't have to stay with me to prove that. And it's okay," He meant what he said, trying to be cheerful about everything that happened.

"But what about my granddaughter, will I never get to see her again?"

"Pranati is a softie, just put on a sad face and she will easily melt." Reyansh stated, letting the warm oil spread on his grandmother's head, "I am pretty sure she will let all of you meet Jugnu whenever ya'll want."

Baljeet held Reyansh's hand, stopping him from his chore. "What about you? What will you do if you want to meet Jugnu?"

"If I want to meet my Mowgli," Reyansh pressed his lips, unsure about whether or not Pranati will let him meet the kid. "I am not sure, if Pranati permits, then I will."

Reyansh had already readied the legal papers where he and his family were going to withdraw their paternal rights on the kid and had signed it too. All he had to do was give it to Pranati to sign and notarize it, once that was done, she was free to leave.

"And if she doesn't?"

The thought of never seeing his kid saddened Reyansh. He had waited eight long years to see the kid he always imagined about. But then, he had done nothing for the kid either and it was only fair if he got what he deserved.

Reyansh changed the subject as he lied about Baljeet had dandruff in her hair and the old lady immediately got down to business to protect her white hair. That gave him time to not worry about the future and live in the present.

_

Anisha was overlooking the kitchen work since Baljeet was back and needed a strict diet to be followed. She was instructing the cook the required meals for the day when Pranati intervened in the kitchen with a soft smile.

"Bhabhi, is it okay if I cook something for today?"

Pranati had grown a soft corner for all the Khuranas, especially Anisha because she was the eldest and the nicest one of the lot. Anisha Khurana was both beautiful and elegant, in her speech and in her actions. Also, Anisha had loved and dotted on Jugnu like she was her own kid.

Anisha smiled at Pranati and touched her chin, "you were sick yesterday, you need time to recover."

"Bhabhi please, bohot bore ho raha hai." Pranati stated her despair, and put on her best puppy expressions. "I am done with all my work and have nothing much to look at."

"Jugnu?"

"She is playing with Rey in the game room."

"And your health?"

"I feel fine!"

Anisha chuckled, she loved how Pranati wasn't the closed off girl she was when they first met. Instead, Pranati was being more of herself than she realised.

"Alright, but if Reyansh comes in and screams at me..."

"I'll handle him, I swear."

That was settled when Pranati decided to cook dinner for the remainder of the Khuranas'. She had been resting the entire day and that was the longest amount of time she had taken a break. Back in Mussoorie, she could not have even a second to herself, being busy with a kid and two jobs and helping out in the house, she was not used to resting.

Also, the Khuranas' had been way too kind to her and her daughter. A little gratitude goes a long way, and if not by money, Pranati could at least treat them with something to eat. She asked the staff to guide her to where the ingredients were and once they did, she asked them to leave. It was too overwhelming to cook when there were people gawking at you.

"Alright, we have everything here."

"What are you doing out of your bed?"

Pranati was chopping vegetables when Reyansh barged in the kitchen, not amused by the scenario. He leaned against the refrigerator, a grim expression on his face.

"You need to rest."

Pranati ignored him and continued dicing the onions in a swift motion. She cut them so fast that Reyansh was surprised at the girl who could not even boil water. The last time she cooked for him, he had to eat very salty and burnt noodles and pretend it was good.

"Are you ignoring me?" Reyansh walked over to the counter and watched Pranati finish chopping the vegetables without wasting any breath over him. "Pranati..."

"Reyansh," Pranati turned to face him, the knife pointed at him and he stepped back. "Don't piss me, my tolerance level is way too low today. Back off." She pushed the knife at him and he raised his arms, in surrender.

"What are you making?"

"Paneer Tikka Masala and kulche..." She readied the ingredients, marinating the paneer while Reyansh watched her by standing besides her. "If you are not here to help, you should leave."

"I'll help."

Pranati did not expect him to actually help her, given how much Reyansh would rather spend his time playing video games. She was stunned for a second, observing the man closely and was brought out of her trance when Reyansh snapped at her.

She made him fry the paneer over the pan, while she continued cutting the rest of the vegetables. It was comical to see him throw the paneer cubes in the pan because of the oil that splattered and how he used a lid to cover his face.

"Are you helping, or do you need help?" Pranati scoffed, taking the spatula from his hands and flipped the paneer, not minding the sizzling of oil.

"How are you so efficient?" Reyansh asked, still holding the lid over his face. "Where is the girl who couldn't cook to save herself? The one who cried once because the steam from the kitchen ruined her eyes..."

Pranati sighed, "that girl grew up."

The undertone of sadness in that phrase made Reyansh uncomfortable, so he took back the spatula and kept the lid down. He had almost flipped the paneer perfectly when Pranati hissed at the cut on her finger. She was lost in her thoughts and accidentally cut her finger, holding it away from the counter so the blood would not ruin the rest of the food.

Her little wince got Reyansh's attention immediately and held her hand, a little fearful about the blood since it reminded him of the accident. But more upset at Pranati.

"I told you to rest, I told you to not do this." He wasn't just upset, he was practically yelling at her. "Why are you so fucking stubborn?"

Pranati was a bit intimidated with the way his screamed at her, but mostly overwhelmed with how he held her hand afraid to let go. He did not pay attention to her pleas and washed the wound over the sink, and rushed to get the first aid kit.

"Reyansh..."

"If you say another word, I swear I will kill you."

Pranati bit back on her words and Reyansh made her sit on the counter, holding her finger and applying turmeric to stop the bleeding. He brought out all of the medications, the wire, the gauge, the disinfectants and the band-aids. He blew air on the cut on her finger while flinching at the tiny drop of blood.

Despite having a phobia of blood, Reyansh treated her wound and looked more in pain than she was. Pranati was having a hard time to understand the man, the whys and the whats were getting blurred as she kept her gaze on him.

Another episode of 'what if' pained her heart as she watched Reyansh care for a very negligible bruise. If a tiny cut was making Reyansh to lose his mind, then why did he leave her to fend for herself all these years?

The smoke from the burnt paneer on the gas stove got them to break their little moment as Reyansh switched the gas off, fanning the smoke away. Before Pranati could step down and help, Reyansh towered over her.

"You are not stepping down." Reyansh pointed his finger at her, glaring at her for the added effect. "Today's khana khazana episode is done."

"But I want to cook!"

"Too bad, you cannot."

Pranati sighed, "it is just a tiny cut."

"Tiny? That looks tiny to you?" He exclaimed, leaning against the counter with his hands on either side of her.

"Reyansh!"

"Pranati..."

They were once again, way too close to each other with the distance between their hearts decreasing as well. Reyansh's gaze stayed fixated on her lips ever so slightly and Pranati could feel her heartbeats rising. It was stupid how they were once again walking the same path they did eight years back, knowing very well what lay ahead.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, the clattering of the utensil besides her broke their trance. Reyansh stepped back, clearing his throat while Pranati tucked her hair and let out the breath she was holding.

"I just wanted to cook food for the Khuranas because I wanted to thank them..."

Reyansh narrowed his gaze, "okay, then give me this." He leaned forward and undid her apron from behind and got it over her neck. "This belongs to the chef, that is me."

That made Pranati to roll her eyes but smile nonetheless, while he washed his hands and threw all of the burnt food in the bin. She watched him arrange everything and ready himself for cooking a meal.

"Alright, tell me what is to be done and I will cook it for you."

"You will cook it?" Pranati stifled a chuckle, tilting her head whilst watching Reyansh frown at him. "Reyansh, let it be. I don't want to see you get in an even bloodier accident. Let me-"

"Ey Pranati Mishra," Reyansh pointed the knife at her and Pranati backed away. "Your work is only to give instructions and not demotivate me. You tell me what to do, and I will do it."

She sighed, shaking her head and letting him do what he wanted.

"Fine, chop the vegetables, but before that add in those spices and marinate the paneer cubes." She pointed at the spices she had removed, "and then let it sit for ten minutes, meanwhile cut these...."

Reyansh diligently followed all the instructions to the T. He chopped and fried and burnt his finger a bit when the oil splashed on him. Even then Reyansh did not wince, but shook it off only for Pranati to raise her arms towards him and ask him to come closer.

"Mr. Khurana," She examined the burn mark, a lot bigger than she anticipated, "I told you to not do this."

"It is not much at all." Reyansh smiled, placing the chef's hat on her. He waived it off and continued chopping, while Pranati instructed him the next set of details.

While the paneer cooked in the gravy, Reyansh proceeded to add water to the flour only to make a paste of the entire thing. Pranati watched him struggled to do anything but knead.

"Rey..."

"Shush, I can do this."

To drain the excess water, Reyansh added more flour and that led the flour packet to burst open and blow up in a smoke of flour dust. While Reyansh gasped, Pranati could not help but laugh. She tried to compose herself, but watching Reyansh's face splattered with flour only made her to laugh all the more.

"Haso, bas yahi reh gaya hai life mein."

Pranati placed her finger on her lips, and shook her head, "I am sorry, this is too funny."

"Oh alright then," Reyansh approached her and rubbed his flour filled palms on her face like he was playing Holi. "How is that?"

It took two full minutes for Pranati to comprehend what happened, as her mouth remained ajar. Reyansh leaned closer to meet her eyes. A smile on his face as opposed to the horror on hers.

"Now we can both laugh together..." He brushed his finger on her nose, rubbing the last dot of flour on her white powdered face.

"Reyansh..."

"Yes jaaneman..."

"You are so dead."

Reyansh shrugged, tilting his head and meeting her eyes. It was the smile that etched on her face that got him feeling all sort of emotions and reminded him that some things were eternal.

Pranati's laughter and Jugnu's eyes.

Reyansh proceeded to knead the dough, this time Pranati helped him by asking him to do exactly how she motioned. Together the duo prepared a meal they were very proud off and Reyansh let out a sigh as he finished the last kulcha, joining his hands in surrender.

"Never again, this was so hard."

"But you fared well," Pranati replied, still seated on the counter besides him. "A for efforts."

Reyansh squinted his gaze, "not efforts, you have to taste and then rate it." He dipped the spoon in the gravy and brought it closer for her to taste it.

The hot steam from the morsel was cooled by the man who blew air on it, Pranati watching him closely. He then very carefully made her taste it and waited in anticipation for the review.

"It is bad, isn't it?" He shook his head, disappointed in himself. "I am sorry... I..."

"It is good," She broke the silence and watched his facial expressions change from sadness to confusion. "No really, it is good."

"You are pulling my leg aren't you?"

"Sacchi," Pranati raised her hand and touched his head, "tumhari kasam."

"maar do mujhe," Reyansh rolled his eyes as he tried a bite for himself. "Wait a minute," He was marveled at his own cooking, "this is so good. I am a genius."

"Mr. Genius..." Pranati snapped him out of his happy trance, "cooking ho gayi, ye jo kitchen ki halat banayi hai aapne, holi kheli hai, usse bhi saaf karna hota hai."

Reyansh sighed, shaking his head in disapproval. "Gazab beizatti hai," He remarked, ignoring how she was smiling again at him and left to get a broom and a mop.

Together the duo cleaned the kitchen, bringing it back to what it was before. Pranati cleaned the counter while Reyansh swept the floor.

"Everything is clean." Pranati beamed at the tidied kitchen.

"Not everything,"

Reyansh turned towards her, and brushed his finger over her face and showed her the flour on it. He took the tissues from the side and helped wipe the dust away, and did the same for his face too. Pranati looked at the man and smiled, it was a long time since she had enjoyed her time in cooking food.

This was a memory she would forever cherish.

"You still got some on your nose," Reyansh wiped it with his thumb and Pranati shook her head, "what?"

"You just applied some more, didn't you?"

"How are you so smart..."

"Reyansh!"

And while their banter continued, Jugnu who was watching them from outside the kitchen smiled at the duo. She was worried about her mother when she cut her finger, but when she saw Reyansh taking care of her more than she ever did, she stepped back and watched them.

They were undeniably cute and Jugnu loved how carefree and happy her mother was with him. She always longed to see her father live with them, join them in domestic chores and love them. She hated to admit how much she wanted this and now that Reyansh was here, Jugnu couldn't help but feel overwhelmed.

"Hi baby," Anisha interrupted the girl who looked at the tall woman. "What are you doing?"

"Watching my mother and my father act like they are 10."

Anisha raised her gaze at the duo who were still bickering, acting like kids. And then at Jugnu who was watching them with a smile.

"I wish they remain like this."

_

The dinner at the Khuranas' that night was a little too sweet. The moment they heard from Anisha that Pranati was cooking for them, they all skipped the evening snacks and jumped right at the dining table. All of them rubbing their hands in excitement, Jugnu beaming at her parents who looked too comfortable with each other lately.

Back at home she had Jaana and Jugnu as her only family, and she loved them dearly. But it made her bittersweet to see Jugnu be deprived of the family love she deserved just like any other kid. Here at the Khuranas', Jugnu was not just loved, she was worshipped.

Each member of the Khurana clan loved her and they showed it in their little gesutres. Anisha feeding an extra morsel, Baljeet adding more side dishes on her plate, Armaan and Maan including her in their conversations, Vardhan asking her about her day and Reyansh...

Reyansh could not stop looking at her.

It was weird how protective Pranati was about Jugnu at the start of the month and how relaxed she could be with them. They loved her daughter, like their own.

"Jugnu, do you want to play board games with us?" Maan asked the ecstatic girl, "we can introduce you to all the vintage games we played."

"Can I play, DM?"

"Well, did you finish your school work?"

"I did."

"Then for sure."

Jugnu raised her hands in the air and the clan cheered with her. Reyansh propelling the little girl to eat while filling her glass with water. He was way too helpful lately, and observant and acting weird.

Why?

Why was Reyansh acting so homey and sweet?

What was he planning?

The Khuranas thanked the duo for the tasty food, Jugnu taking a double serving of the paneer only because her parents made it. Then the youngsters shifted their party to the game room where old board games were dusted and carrom boards were set.

Pranati watched how happy Jugnu was with the boys and let her be, while excusing herself to take a stroll in the garden. It was chillier every night, and Delhi was still strange to her. She missed Jaana, and her warm hugs and the little cot of a house they had.

But, she could see the vast difference the two lifestyles made on her daughter.

Jugnu had to always keep a straight face in Mussoorie, she had to act like an adult, she had to defend her mother and be called a fatherless kid. But at the Khuranas, she could be a kid and have fun and be whatever she wanted to be without worrying about anything.

Was she making a hasty decision, Pranati wondered, sitting on the swing and holding the steel chains. Maybe the Khuranas could keep meeting Jugnu, maybe they could visit her in Mussoorie, maybe she'd let her kid vacation here.

That was not why she came here. She made it clear that she was going to stick to her decision and take her daughter away.

Then why did she feel so guilty about it?

What had changed?

"DM, shouldn't you have called me if you wanted to swing?"

Pranati sat back up with a smile when Jugnu sat on the swing next to hers. The girls dangled their feet while looking at each other.

"I thought you're playing board games, what happened?"

"Maan chachu caught Armaan chachu cheating in Ludo and then Armaan chachu threw the entire game in anger." Jugnu had a goofy smile on her face when she narrated the incident.

"Well, that's one way to end Ludo." Pranati added, caressing her girl's hair.

"How's your finger, does it hurt?" Jugnu held her mother's hand, examining the wound.

Pranati shook her head, "not at all. Maa ko dard nahi hota." She said it only to make Jugnu cringe but Jugnu smiled in response.

"Tell me bacchu, do you like it here?"

Jugnu nodded, "I love it here." She swayed her feet and smiled cheekily. "This family is crazy, but they they are so nice DM. Pagal Khuranas dil ke bohot aache hai. I love Anisha chachi, and Vardhan chachu and Maan and Armaan chachu and Riya chachi and Kesar Dai and Badi Daadi and..."

"And?"

Jugnu looked at her mother, "Reyansh Khurana, mere papa."

Pranati was in a fix at how that one sentence held so many emotions. Jugnu hadn't just softened around Reyansh, she had accepted him as her father.

So was she doing the right thing by separating the duo?

"If you don't like it, I won't call him that."

"You really like him?"

Jugnu nodded, lowering her gaze. Like it was a bad thing to like her father.

"He always carries me whenever I'm tired and plays games with me, and makes me laugh by doing stupid things and most importantly," Jugnu met her mother's soft gaze, "he makes you smile, in a way I can never do."

Pranati sharply turned at her daughter who smiled at her reaction.

"That's not true, you're my happiness, Jugnu. You're my entire world." She touched her cheek, but Jugnu held her hand in her tiny ones.

"But he makes you smile, and he takes care of you, and he defends you, he cries for you and misses you." Jugnu revealed all of Reyansh's secrets like it was nothing, "he looks at you in a way I look at you."

"And what way is that?"

"Like you're the most beautiful woman in the whole world."

Pranati was tongue tied. She didn't know what or how to respond to her kid's observation of her father.

"And most importantly, he misses his mother and that makes me sad."

"How did you..."

"I heard him talk to his mother one day, he said he misses her. He didn't have his DM, like I have you."

Jugnu looked at her mother, teary eyed and sad, while Pranati's heart was breaking at each revelation.

"Would you be disappointed in me if I say that I missed him even when he wasn't around? Would you be mad at me if I say I want him with me?"

Pranati held back her tears, and watched Jugnu lower her gaze.

"Would you hate me if I say that I really like my father, the man I vowed to hate."

_

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

29.8K 784 10
Another MaAn Fanfic
3.1K 354 10
Let's see..
743 70 4
A simple story about a couple who gets separated.. A obedient son who stuck between his mother and mother..,,
946K 38.7K 54
| Complete | ✅ They stared into each others eyes and everything seemed completely oblivious to them. Raw emotions of love and care were floating in...