Sorrow Shadows || TEIS Fanfic...

By ProximaShiro

Uhh.. let's see... Shadow is misunderstood as constantly in a depressed state. Let's see how this changes som... More

Hermanos Over Azadas
Reaching for Absolute Fuerza
The First Change Of Corazon
The Start Of Divergencia Del Canon
Cid Kagenou, My Dearest Younger Brother
Claire Kagenou, My Dearest Older Sister
The Fencer Ordinaire and The Ordinary Fencer
The Man Clad In Black And The Garden He Planted
A Questionable Break Before The Action Returns
Stand Proud Gamma, You Are Strong
Nice To Meet You, But It's Even Better To Meet Me
The Girl From The Academy Of Science And Her Cookies
For a Brighter Smile on Her Face

The Clock Ticks Slowly As Your Death Approaches

905 25 11
By ProximaShiro

Sherry Barnett, 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘚𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘳𝘺 𝘉𝘢𝘳𝘯𝘦𝘵𝘵, was completely engrossed in deciphering the peculiar pendant-shaped artifact, oblivious to the chaos unfolding around her.

As she picked it up and examined it closely, her light-pink eyes narrowed in curiosity and surprise.

"This... can't be," she muttered, her focus unwavering as her pen swiftly danced across the paper. 𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘥𝘪𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘺 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘳?

The explosive sounds and hurried footsteps in the hallway failed to register in her awareness.

Perplexed by the commotion, Sherry finally tore her gaze away from the artifact and questioned, "What's going on?"

"Someone is attacking the school," came the grave response.

"Be careful, you can't use magic," another voice cautioned.

Even the conversation between two knights went unheard by Sherry. Lost in her own world, she couldn't comprehend the magnitude of the situation. Her mind was consumed by the enigma of the relic, overshadowing everything else.

With each stroke of her quill, Sherry's determination to unravel the truth grew stronger. Her light-pink eyes held a glimmer of hope, as if they were inching closer to discovering something profound.

Suddenly, a man clad in jet-black crashed through the window of the lab, sending shards of glass flying. Sherry's face was grazed by the fragments, causing a momentary shock.

"What the...?!" she exclaimed, startled by the intrusion.

"Who dares to disrupt our sanctuary?!" the knights bellowed, drawing their swords.

The stinging sensation on her cheeks finally snapped Sherry back to reality. "Huh? What's happening?" she gasped, clutching the artifact tightly and seeking refuge under her desk. As she touched her cheek, a small trickle of blood stained her hand.

"I am Rex, the Game of Betrayal, from the infamous Shadow Garden," the intruder declared, his voice dripping with contempt. "This artifact is nothing but a nuisance."

He tossed aside his mask, revealing a man with disheveled red hair and a sinister laugh. Sherry couldn't help but shudder at his presence.

"You're the Shadow Garden I've heard so much about..." one of the knights spoke with a mix of determination and concern.

"I may not know your motives, but attacking the school won't go unnoticed," the other knight warned.

Rex chuckled darkly. "Oh, but that's not my concern. Obtaining the artifact is all that matters. You can struggle and resist all you want."

His piercing gaze fell upon the knights. "Do you know where it is?" he demanded.

"We have no knowledge of what you speak," they replied, their voices firm.

Rex's smile widened. "Your faces tell me otherwise...!" he taunted.

As tension filled the air, Rex's overpowering magic engulfed the room. Sherry stifled a scream, crawling towards the door in sheer terror.

"Who shall be the first to feel my wrath?" Rex's eyes scanned the room hungrily.

"Let's start with the girl," he decided, vanishing into thin air.

In that moment, Sherry realized he was right in front of her. She let out a piercing scream, bracing herself for the worst.

"Farewell," Rex hissed, preparing to strike.

"No!" Sherry cried out, shielding herself with her trembling hands.

But before the blow could land, a stocky knight with a lion-like beard appeared, deflecting the attack with his sword.

Impressed, Rex sneered, "Not bad for someone without magic."

"Magic isn't everything. Against a weakling like you, dodging your attacks is child's play," the knight retorted.

"Weakling?" Rex growled, his anger palpable. "Do you truly believe you're stronger than me?"

"I do," the knight affirmed proudly. "I am Glen, the Lion's Mane, vice commander of the Crimson Order."

Another knight stood beside him, introducing himself as Marco of the Crimson Order.

But before Marco could say another word, he glanced down at Sherry and whispered, "Run."

And so, the battle commenced. Sherry scrambled into the hallway, her heart pounding with fear and adrenaline. She covered her ears, desperately trying to drown out the agonizing screams echoing behind her. 𝘔𝘺 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘳, 𝘪𝘵'𝘭𝘭 𝘣𝘦 𝘰𝘬𝘢𝘺!

        '/
          |
          \'

What have I been up to? Well, I've been taking down those imposters who dare to use our name, but I've been doing it in the most inconspicuous way possible.

I'm so good at hiding my presence that even 𝗲𝘅𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲 itself isn't sure if I'm there or not.

Pretty cool right? I thought of that just now.

Anyway, here I am, casually strolling down a hallway until I stumble upon more of those guys.

...It's kind of weird walking like this, especially after I "died" and all. Now I have to figure out how to explain my miraculous survival. I mean, the beating I took was pretty brutal. Any normal person would be six feet under by now.

All my cuts and stab wounds are healed too...

I did not think this through, maybe I should have just stitched it together with magic strings temporarily.

But... then I wouldn't have had another opportunity to use the Negative Charge for the first time and gotten a feel for it.

It was a theory I wanted to experiment with for a while, but I always forgot about it because Delta kept pestering me to go hunting with her. Priorities, right?

...You know what? I'll leave that problem to tomorrow's me. I'm sure he'll figure it out!

Oh, look, Sherry just walked past me. And there's a guy over there running at h–...

...wait, 𝙎𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙧𝙮!?

         '/
          |
          \'

"Hmm?" Sherry's senses tingle, detecting a subtle movement behind her. She turns her head, expecting to find someone, but the hallway remains silent and empty, stretching out into the distance.

"Maybe I'm just being overly cautious," Sherry muses to herself, glancing around with caution. Her footsteps lightly tap against the floor as she clings tightly to the artifact in her hands.

Just a moment ago, the knights mentioned their inability to use magic. If that's true, then it must be connected to her somehow. She ponders over the possible causes, clutching the artifact tightly against her chest.

"I need to figure out what's going on!" Sherry exclaims with determination. The image of the brave knights fighting to help her escape flashes through her mind. She can't let their sacrifice go in vain.

Lost in her thoughts, she turns the corner and suddenly gasps in surprise. A mysterious figure dressed in black stands before her. Sherry panics, desperately trying to find a place to hide. She fears that her time is up as their eyes meet.

But then, there's a sudden whoosh.

"It's alright. I'm still safe... I haven't been caught," Sherry whispers, her gaze fixed ahead as she continues on. Relief washes over her as her ebony assailant vanishes into thin air.

With bravery and caution, Sherry carefully surveys her surroundings, her footsteps tapping rhythmically on the floor. Suddenly, she spots something from the corner of her eye.

"Oh!" she exclaims, attempting to hide, but it's too late. The door swings open, revealing another figure dressed in jet-black.

"Eep!" Sherry instinctively covers her head and shuts her eyes tightly.

...

Another whoosh.

"What?" Sherry cautiously opens her eyes, only to find that the man has disappeared.

"Phew. They haven't found me," she whispers to herself, her heart still racing. Sherry continues on, her feet softly padding against the floor.

She meticulously checks every inch of the hallway, the classrooms, and even glances behind her. Her eyes flicker from left to right as she remains vigilant. However, her focus falters, and she trips over herself.

"Oof!" Sherry crashes to the ground, her eyes widening as she watches the artifact soar into the air.

"Ahhh!"

Just before it hits the floor, someone catches it. Sherry looks up to see her newest companion.

"Cid!"

He's... looking not okay, that's for sure.

"Are you okay?! You're injured..." Sherry expresses her concern.

"Don't worry about it. I'm fine, let's worry about you right now." Cid responds, his voice sounding extremely tired and out of breath as he gazes at Sherry through almost empty eyes, clearly he's pushing himself right now to stay alive and breathing.

"I need to tell you a few things. Like, you really need to stop talking to yourself. And maybe avoid deep thoughts while walking. Oh, and watch your step," he advises, letting out a deep sigh.

"And your tap-tap-tapping down the hall is way too loud. Let's start by taking off those slippers."

Sherry nods, acknowledging Cid's words.

        '/
          |
          \'

I stand guard by Sherry's side as we make our way towards the assistant principal's office on the back end of the first floor.

Oh, and by the way, I secretly take care of eight more of those enemies along the way. We finally reach our destination and open the thick door, stepping inside.

The room reveals a tasteful lounge at its center, with an entire wall stacked with oversized books. Piles of files clutter the desk in the back, while sunlight gently streams in from the northern window.

Clearly, this space is intended for proper adults.

Sherry settles herself at a desk she seems familiar with, rummaging through the drawers. I can't help but caution her, "Try not to make too much noise."

Her light-pink hair sways as she obediently nods in response. I let out a sigh of relief and flop down onto a couch, acting like I'm in some kind of pain and exhausted as hell.

"Whew.." I could feel Sherry glance at me from time to time as she searches around, yes yes, I know I'm looking extremely pitful right now. That's the whole point.

Sherry returns from the desk, carrying a stack of documents that she spreads across the coffee table.

I observe them with curiosity, as they contain some alphabets, landforms, and formulas that I read in some of the reports I get so naturally I understand some of it.

"This artifact is called the Eye of Avarice," Sherry explains, showing me a sketch of a foreboding sphere about the size of a Ping-Pong ball. "I believe it's what's currently blocking our magic."

She continues, "The Eye absorbs and collects magic in its surroundings. When it's activated, it becomes more difficult to harness magic in the area."

I raise an eyebrow. "Hm... the men in black had no trouble using magic, does that mean?..."

"They must have programmed the Eye to recognize their specific magical wavelength," Sherry replies. "I've confirmed that it doesn't consume pre-registered magic. It also struggles to absorb microscopic particles with powerful energy, although neither of us would be able to recognize those in the first place." 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘧𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘭 𝘺𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘪𝘯.

I interject, "Then.. on top of that, it must also utilize the magic stored inside it. I'm guessing their original plan was to use this artifact as a weapon, but it can't hold magic for prolonged periods. It seems to be defective..." 𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘰𝘰!?

"...But it's still effective in the short-term, even if it can't store power for long," I conclude.

"..." Sherry looks at me with slightly widened and sparkling eyes.

"Is there something wrong?" I ask in a sort of quiet-exhausted tone to give off the 𝘐 𝘣𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘺 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘩 kind of feel.

"Ah no, it's just that you're right. Currently, there are hundreds of dark knights being held hostage in the auditorium. If they were to release the magic within the artifact... they might be able to obliterate the entire school," Sherry reveals, her words leaving me in awe.

"I see..." I can't let that happen.

"I was the first one to decode the Eye through my research. When I realized its potential dangers, I kept it away from the academic world and asked the kingdom to store it for safekeeping... Why did this have to happen?" Sherry gazes at me with gentle eyes, filled with both sadness and 𝘥𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯.

"It's either a replica or it was stolen. Is there a way to activate it?" I inquire.

Sherry nods and retrieves a large pendant. "This seems to control it. The Eye cannot function on its own; it can only be used when attached to this device. When they work together, the artifact is no longer defective and can temporarily store magic."

"So it'll be able to hold magic for a longer time?" I ask, seeking confirmation.

"I would have to combine them and conduct experiments to be certain, but I believe it's possible," Sherry explains.

"Really?"

"This device also has the power to temporarily disable the Eye. With it, we should be able to free the people in the auditorium," Sherry suggests.

"That sounds like a plan. And then?" I inquire further.

"Well, I haven't finished examining the artifact, so I'd like to prioritize that," Sherry replies.

"I see."

"After I decipher its secrets, we can bring the activated artifact closer to the Eye," Sherry explains her plan.

"And how do you propose we do that?" I ask, curious.

"Um... since they are vigilantly patrolling the ground level, I believe we may have to get closer underground," Sherry replies, giving me a somewhat nervous smile.

"Underground?" I echo.

Sherry proceeds to remove a few books from the bookshelf, revealing a hidden staircase leading to a lower level.

That's kinda cool.

       '/
          |
          \'

"There are still a few secret escape tunnels lurking within some of the buildings on campus, but it seems that no one has ventured through these passages in quite some time." Sherry says. "The staircases are covered in layers of dust... and there isn't a single footprint to be found. I wish that my foster father had escaped through this hidden route..."

"Don't worry, Sherry. I'm sure it'll be fine. Also, he took you in right?" Cid assures her before asking a question.

"He used to assist my mother with her research, and he has cared for me ever since I can remember. Even after my mother passed away and I had nowhere else to go, he embraced me as his own."

"He sounds like quite the individual." Cid says, though a bit quieter than when he previously spoke.

"Yes, he truly is. He has always been the one to come to my rescue... and this time, I want to be the one to save him." Sherry's face lights up, determined.

"...Once we reach the underground area, what should our next move be?" Cid asks, in a much quieter tone than before.

"Well, uh... we will navigate through the tunnels and toss the active artifact into the auditorium."

"What if it...?"

"Even if it does shatter, it will only temporarily disable the Eye. All we will need is the assistance of the dark knights..."

"Well... alright then, let's get to it."

"Great! I will hasten and complete the deciphering."

"I'm sorry but I won't be able to contribute much. Nevertheless, I wish you the best of luck. I'll go get the things you told me to get." 𝘖𝘧𝘧 𝘤𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘳𝘢.

"...Cid." Sherry stops Cid before he leaves.

"Yeah..?"

"...don't push yourself too hard."

"What do you mean? I'm doing fin–"

"Please." Sherry can clearly see Cid is absolutely not doing fine. He had just miraculously escaped death. His eyes are clearly loosing their light and he might bleed to death. He's extremely exhausted. His body must be extremely durable to be able to hold on like that.

She did remember him telling her that day she gave him those cookies that his Sister was very harsh in her training back then. If that was the reason he's alive right now then she'll have to thank his sister later.

"..." Cid opts to stay silent.

"Right now, I will do everything in my power to help everyone. I have never been able to aid others before, but now it is my turn to rescue my foster father and everyone else... so..."

"...I trust you, Sherry. Trust in me too." Cid says with his back turned as he finally makes his departure.

         '/
          |
          \'

With the wild eyes of a starving dog, Rex flings open the auditorium doors and confidently struts into the room. A group of men obediently trail behind him.

The students, trapped in their chairs, bow their heads as the group approaches. The enormous, drafty auditorium spans three floors, and every exit is guarded by men clad in jet-black attire. The students are under strict surveillance, forbidden to utter a single word. Rex wears an insincere smile as he slips out of the auditorium and makes his way towards a waiting room.

"How did it go?" asks a man in black as soon as Rex closes the door. His voice carries a deep and dignified tone. Despite his masked face and uniform, his air of superiority is unmistakable.

"You waste no time, Sir Gaunt. We've nearly taken control of the entire school. The Knight Order may be causing a commotion outside, but they are hardly worth our attention," Rex confidently replies.

"Irrelevant. I want to know if you have obtained the artifact," Sir Gaunt demands.

"Oh, the artifact. Well..." Rex shrugs, glancing at Sir Gaunt. "I believe it is in the possession of that young girl with the peach-colored hair."

"You mean to say you failed to retrieve it?" Sir Gaunt's magic intensifies, causing the surrounding air to ripple under its pressure.

Rex's cheeks stiffen as he senses the knight's bloodlust. "Calm down. I have secured its general location and will retrieve it soon."

"Your foolishness is disrupting my plans. The next time you make a mistake, I will take your head. Understand?" Sir Gaunt warns.

"Alright, alright. I get it," Rex hastily agrees.

Sir Gaunt's piercing gaze follows Rex as he heads towards the door, hands raised above his head.

"Oh, I almost forgot," Rex pauses before making his exit. "We might encounter some trouble."

He looks back at Sir Gaunt, awaiting his reaction, and receives a signal to continue.

"A bunch of Thirds has been eliminated. Two of the Seconds are dead. One man's heart was crushed, and the other had a small incision in his pressure points. I suspect the latter was stabbed with a rapier. All of them were struck only once. The enemy seems quite agile," Rex comments, sniggering like a ravenous wolf.

"Well, well... perhaps it's the Shadow Garden. The bait has finally worked," Sir Gaunt muses.

"Seems that way. You should watch your back," Rex advises.

"Heh... Do you think I, a man like myself, need to be cautious?" Sir Gaunt scoffs. 𝘉𝘳𝘰 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘩𝘪𝘮.

"Oh, I'm sure you'll be just fine, Mr. Ex-Rounds," Rex remarks.

"Hmph. Make sure to bring me the heads of the Shadow Garden along with the artifact," Sir Gaunt commands. 𝘈𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘱𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨?

"Of course, it goes without saying." Rex leaves the room with a faint grin on his lips.

Sir Gaunt smirks to himself. "Finally, everything will fall into place..." He retrieves the ominous artifact from his breast pocket and studies it suspiciously. 𝘉𝘳𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘴 𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘰𝘭.

"This will mark my triumphant return to the Rounds." 𝘔𝘢𝘯, 𝘴𝘩𝘶𝘵 𝘶𝘱.

       '/
          | 𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐚 𝐟𝐞𝐰 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐬 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫...
          \'

Rex's body convulses, blood spewing from his mouth as he is violently hurled backwards. He crashes through the sturdy wall, his momentum carrying him into a once peaceful classroom. Desks and chairs scatter in his wake, a chaotic symphony of destruction.

Finally, he comes to a rest on the cold, unforgiving ground.

A strangled sound escapes his lips, a mixture of pain and desperation. His grip tightens around his tortured abdomen, as if trying to hold himself together.

But it's a futile effort.

His ribs, sharp as daggers, pierce through his fragile organs, a cruel reminder of the battle that rages within.

Yet, against all odds, Rex clings to life. Every ounce of his being dedicated to the act of survival.

A twisted smile forms on his bloodied lips, a momentary triumph amidst the chaos. He lifts his head, his eyes scanning the room.

And there they lie, a haunting sight that sends shivers down his spine. Corpses, lifeless and still, strewn across the classroom like discarded dolls. Men in black, each one taken down with a single, decisive blow. The absence of visible wounds only deepens the mystery.

𝘊𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘪𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘱𝘰𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘦?𝘊𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘥 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘭𝘦-𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘥𝘭𝘺 𝘷𝘢𝘯𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘴𝘩𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘕𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘥 𝘊𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘯? The thought lingers, a heavy weight in the air, as Rex's mind races to comprehend the unfathomable.

A rhythmic tapping interrupts his thoughts, growing louder with each passing second. Footsteps, approaching with purpose, echo through the hallway.

𝙏𝙖𝙥, 𝙩𝙖𝙥, 𝙩𝙖𝙥.

The sound halts abruptly at the doorway, swallowed by an eerie silence.

Unease settles over Rex, his grip on the sword in his palm betraying his anxiety. Sweat drips down his hand in unnatural abundance, a testament to the fear that courses through his veins.

𝘾𝙡𝙞𝙘𝙠.

The doorknob turns, shattering the fragile stillness that envelops the room.

And then, the entrance swings open, revealing nothingness. No figure stands before him, no enemy to face.

But in an instant, Rex's world is torn asunder.

His right arm, torn to shreds with a sickening whir.

His left arm, ripped away without mercy.

The assault continues, a relentless barrage of destruction.

𝙒𝙝𝙤𝙤𝙨𝙝.

𝙒𝙝𝙞𝙨𝙝.

𝙒𝙝𝙞𝙯.

Each sound heralds the loss of another piece of flesh, a painful reminder of his impending demise. Agony consumes him, his cries of anguish echoing through the desolate classroom. And in that final moment, as his head spins through the air, Rex realizes the truth.

The boy possesses an infinite wellspring of power, a force beyond comprehension. A bittersweet realization, tinged with sorrow and regret, as Rex's consciousness fades into oblivion. And amidst the darkness, a voice whispers softly.

"𝗔𝗹𝗹𝗼𝘄 𝗺𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗲 𝗮 𝗺𝗲𝗲𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗯𝗲𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗴𝗼𝗱."

And with those words, Rex's story comes to a close.

       '/
          |
          \'

In the chaotic lab, Nu gazes down at a lifeless body.

With deep, chocolate-brown eyes and matching locks, Nu conceals her true identity behind a pair of unremarkable glasses and the Academy of Science uniform. Yet, amidst the wreckage, her captivating allure remains undeniable.

"You're Glen, the Lion's Mane, from the Crimson Order," Nu whispers softly, her voice filled with a hint of melancholy.

The corpse stares into emptiness, its face etched with anguish. A once formidable figure, renowned throughout the Knight Order, now rendered feeble without the aid of magic.

Nu's attention shifts to another knight in the room, still clinging to life.

"Marco Granger. You pledged your allegiance to the Crimson Order," she murmurs, recognition flickering in her eyes.

Marco, blessed with handsome features and lustrous blue locks, stands as one of the mightiest dark knights. Rumors swirl of his eventual ascension to commander of the Order, fueled by his unwavering commitment to justice.

Marco was destined to be Nu's husband in an arranged marriage. They exchanged countless letters, shared dances at grand balls, but beneath it all, he was merely a man chosen by her parents. She never truly knew his feelings on the matter, and love never blossomed within her heart.

Yet, Nu does not harbor hatred towards him. Though she may not have loved him, she found solace in his kindness. A future bound by societal expectations, with a respectable man by her side, held the promise of a bright tomorrow.

A path predetermined, a partner chosen, a future arranged.

Nu once held no strong opinions, conforming to the expectations of those around her, living a life dictated by others. At the time, she found contentment in this conformity, but now, looking back, she finds it suffocating.

As she gazes upon Marco's face, memories flood her mind, particularly the grand ball. Nu can't help but smile wryly, remembering how she paraded Marco's handsome visage as an accessory, flaunting it to the world.

Somehow, memories cling to us, refusing to be forgotten.

"What's on your mind, Nu?" a voice interrupts her thoughts. She turns, unsurprised by the presence of the average-looking boy with black hair. She recognizes him by his voice alone.

"Master Shadow..." Nu murmurs, acknowledging his arrival. For some reason he's covered in blood but that's probably not much to be concerned about since he seems to be moving just fine.

Unbeknownst to her, the boy begins rummaging through the lab's cabinets, searching for something of importance.

"This was supposed to be my arranged fiancé," Nu informs him, her tone tinged with resignation.

"Oh? And what will you do?" he inquires, his focus never wavering from his task.

"I have no personal motive to either kill him or spare him," Nu replies, her voice devoid of emotion.

"That's fine, it's best to focus on right now anyway." he responds, continuing his search through the cabinets.

"..."

Nu leaves Marco's side, joining the boy beside the cabinet. "Master Shadow, it may be late, but I have something to report," she offers.

"Go ahead," he encourages.

"The Shadow Garden has infiltrated the campus. We await your command to mobilize," Nu informs him.

"I see."

"However, our magic is hindered in combat. Only the Seven Shadows can operate at full capacity, and Lady Gamma is the sole representative in the capital. Unfortunately, combat is not her forte," Nu continues, her voice laced with concern.

"She lacks the necessary skills, huh?" he remarks.

"Yes, exactly. As for me, my power is diminished, operating at around half its usual strength," Nu confesses.

"I see."

"Currently, Lady Gamma leads the organization. She believes our magic will soon be free from control and advises waiting until then," Nu concludes.

"True that."

"The figures clad in jet-black remain holed up in the auditorium, unmoving and without demands. The Knight Order has surrounded the campus, but only Iris Midgar and the other commanders possess the strength to engage them. Given their disdain for us even in peaceful times, I doubt they will offer assistance," Nu explains.

"How are the hostages...?"

"...They aren't doing so fine."

"Hm... I see."

"...Lord Shadow, we shall remain on standby until further instructions," Nu states.

"..."

"Is that acceptable?" she asks.

"It is... Oh, wait a moment," he interjects.

"Of course."

"I am in need of a few items. Mithril tweezers, bone powder from earth dragons, and an enchanted stone of ash," he lists.

Nu retrieves each item from the cabinet, presenting them to him.

"Thanks, Nu." he acknowledges, his arms filled with the various items.

"My pleasure." With a gentle smile, she inquires, "May I ask about their purpose?"

His arms are filled with an assortment of items, which he clings to tightly. "Oh, these things? They hold the key to altering the artifact," he reveals softly.

"Alter the artifact?" Nu echoes in astonishment, her voice mirroring her surprise. She never could have fathomed that he possessed such profound knowledge of artifacts, but somehow, it doesn't feel out of place. In this dire situation, the question remains: why would he seek to modify it?

"There is an artifact the Cult is currently using and it's called the Eye of Avarice, and it hinders our magic," he explains, his voice tinged with a hint of melancholy. "Currently, we're making the final adjustments to another artifact, intending to temporarily disable its power."

"Incredible... You never cease to amaze us," Nu utters, her words filled with a mix of admiration and sorrow.

She stands there, utterly dumbfounded. Not only has he pinpointed the very source impeding their magic, but he also possesses the knowledge and skill to neutralize it.

Disabling such a potent artifact requires extraordinary wisdom, the kind only possessed by the greatest minds of our nation. In his presence, she can't help but shudder, overwhelmed by the boundless depths of his intellect.

"I should finish by sunset," he mentions, clearly telling her to be ready by then.

"Understood. We'll be prepared to move forward once it's complete," she replies, her words carrying a touch of resignation.

"Alright, get ready to gather by the building where they are." he murmurs softly, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Understood," Nu responds.

As he exits the room, clutching his belongings, Nu's attention turns to her former fiancé, lying unconscious.

With her ebony blade in hand, she gently glides it down the back of his neck. His breathing and pulse remain steady, indicating that he's alive but unaware of his surroundings.

"I'll spare your life," she whispers, her voice laced with a bittersweet 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝗼𝘄.

Leaving behind a shallow cut on his neck, Nu vanishes into the shadows, carrying her emotions hidden deep within her heart.

       '/
          |
          \'

Upon seeing Cid return with the ingredients, Sherry sighs in relief that he's fine and smiles, retrieving them from him and lining them up on her desk.

"Thank you so much. I should be able to finish it now."

"Oh, it's nothing, just try to focus. Good luck."

Sherry quickly sets to work on the artifact. Cid is lying on the sofa, nursing his injuries, while keeping a vigilant eye on their surroundings.

It’s silent for a while.

The light that flows in through the window slowly turns vermilion.

Cid occasionally gets up to check around, ensuring there are no intruders. Sherry doesn't like that he's overexerting himself when he should be resting all to make sure she's safe.

So obviously, she speaks up about it. While working on the artifact of course, she's a professional like that.

"Cid..." She looks up from the artifact for a while to face him.

"Mm? Is.. something the matter, Sherry?" He tilts his head slightly, looking at her with a small smile.

"A-ah... well... can you just..." Sherry was caught off guard by such a devastating and adorable move from Cid. She almost wanted to pat his head, aggressively.

"..?"

'𝘈𝘩... 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘧𝘶𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘦𝘹𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘯 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘧𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵... 𝘸𝘢𝘪𝘵 𝘯𝘰 𝘯𝘰 𝘯𝘰 𝘯𝘰 𝘯𝘰! 𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘮 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨? 𝘍𝘰𝘤𝘶𝘴 𝘚𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘳𝘺! 𝘍𝘰𝘤𝘶𝘴!' Sherry thought as she shakes her head.

"Please... just rest." There... she said it.

"...Sherry," He looks at me with a complicated sort of expression.

"Cid..."

The silence in the room is deafening. She looks back at the artifact and gets to work.

"I know you're trying to keep me safe but... please take care of yourself too."

"..." The silence is extreme, she could hear his breathing as he exhales.

"...Sherry, have you ever noticed something off about yo-... nevermind."

"...?" Now it was her turn to don a confused expression.

"It's nothing... I'll rest for now, I guess..." He reluctantly accepts her concern with an even more complicated expression. Sherry smiles at that.

"Thank you... "

"..." He simply nods.

Time passes, and the sun begins to set. The red hue intensifies, and the shadows grow darker. When Sherry turns on the lantern, everything becomes a shade darker outside the room. She finally approaches the end of her task around sunset.

"I’m done." Sherry holds up the pendant and shows it to Cid.

"It’s amazing."

"Thank you. It’s the best I could do."

"Yeah, and it’s nice that it’s just after sunset. The future of the school depends on you." Cid stands up and pats Sherry on the back. "I can’t help you anymore. You must save the world with your own hands."

"I-I’ll do my best," she says nervously, picking up the lantern and facing the stairs. "My sincerest gratitude. Thanks to you, I’ll be able to rescue my foster father." Sherry glances back at him once more, then lowers her head.

"It was nothing. I hope he’s okay."

"Thanks." Sherry grins and descends. After a long trip down the damp staircase, she arrives at the bottom. The air is completely different down here. The dark tunnels are illuminated by the light from her lantern, and the paths start forking off: One wrong move, and she’ll never reach her destination.

"Erm…" Sherry takes out her map to confirm the path to the auditorium. "Go straight and then take a left at the third turn…"

At first, she timidly scampers down the path.

But then she remembers having walked these tunnels with her foster father. Even though she pestered him while he was working, he came down to play with her anyway. This is an incredibly precious memory to Sherry.

The young woman doesn’t remember her biological father. He died soon after she was born. And the memory of her mother has almost entirely faded from her mind. Her mother was murdered during a robbery one night when Sherry was only nine years old.

Sherry remembers the black shadow she saw through the crack between the closet door. Her dreams were occasionally plagued by her mother’s screams and the sound of ghastly laughter.

For many years after the incident, Sherry couldn’t speak. She rejected those around her, instead choosing to work on the artifact her mother left behind. As if following in her footsteps, Sherry devoted herself to research.

Her foster father was her savior. He took her in, supported her research, and gave her a loving family. Through that, Sherry finally regained her voice. Almost all her memories of family are of him.

Her entire life, she’s been supported by her foster father. And now it’s time to repay him.

"I’ve got to keep going."

Sherry walks the dark path alone. Her steps are no longer frightened or timid.

It isn’t long before she arrives.

"I think I’m under the auditorium…"

The single path split into many: the path to the first floor, then the middle, then up to the second floor…

She follows her map.

"Oh…!"

And she's found it.

In a hidden passage between the second and third floors, there is a small air vent. While it cannot fit a person, there is enough space for someone to toss a pendant inside.

Sherry cautiously looks through the vent, remembering Cid's advice to stay calm and breathe slowly when hiding.

In the auditorium below, there are many students and a few instructors, as well as a few mysterious men in black. She notices however that her father... isn't there.

She knocks that thought out so she can focus. She believes that once the hostages' magic is set free, they can all escape and then she can go and find her father.

She prepares herself and steps away from the vent, taking out the artifact. When she connects it to the enchanted stone, a bright light and shining letters float in the air.

Without hesitation, Sherry tosses the glowing artifact into the air vent.

______________________

𝐖𝐡𝐨'𝐬 𝐞𝐱𝐜𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐧 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐭 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧? 𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐈 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐦!𝟏!𝟏!𝟏!𝟏!𝟏!𝟏!𝟏!𝟏!𝟏!𝟏!𝟏!𝟏!

𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐢𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐭, 𝐨𝐡𝐡 𝐈𝐭'𝐥𝐥 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐬𝐨 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐞, 𝐈 𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐮𝐩 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐝.

𝐀𝐥𝐬𝐨, 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐈 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐚𝐧 𝐞𝐲𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐣𝐮𝐫𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐥, 𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐰𝐚𝐲, 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐚 𝐮𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞, 𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐞𝐧𝐣𝐨𝐲𝐞𝐝 :))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.8K 146 28
this story won't make sense I was board and this is the result enjoy
59.2K 2.2K 44
Kazuto Kirigaya had finally found the tranquillity he'd longed for. With his beloved circle of dear friends, they relished a peaceful life in the rea...
21.6K 521 19
Holy crap it's another one. Twin au because it's easier. ~~~ "Where does this go?" Y/n asked. "Wherever your heart desires." They answered. That was...
14.6K 647 16
Cid tries to become a different type of eminence in shadow after being reborn in COTE(He never saw the anime nor has he read the novel). Characters...