The Beauty and The Unicorn |1...

By Malosimore

Lovely Jean is the epitome of everything a lot of young women think they want to be; she is rich, excruciatin... More

WARNING - PLEASE READ ⚠️
|AESTHETICS||00
|PROLOGUE||00
|1|Sweet introduction
|2|Beautiful stranger
|3|The Winners' championship - Part one
|4|The Winners' championship - Part two
|5|Insanity
|6|Maybe they were right
|8|District 4
|9|Forever and never
|10|Preparation

|7|"You can't be serious"

31 4 3
By Malosimore

February 2028 - 4:56 a.m.

"Say what?" I frowned. There was no way I had just heard what I thought I had just heard.

"You and August have to get married." Jai carefully repeated, looking at me with attention.

"You're kidding, right," I stared at Jai blankly.

"Unfortunately, I am not. I'm as serious as Mrs. Mac on inspection days, girl."

"Hell nah. I'm not marrying anyone," I argued, crossing my arms.

August rolled his eyes, shaking his head. Sassy man.

"There's a rule in the enchanted world that says any protector has the right to marry the woman of his dreams, or so he thinks. It doesn't matter, as long as the protector is married. By being his wife, the woman is automatically protected from any harm for six months. Those six months would provide you enough time to figure out your identity, and prove to The Council that you aren't a threat to the enchanted world."

"Don't worry, we'll get the divorce in eight months sharp," August added. "Or earlier, if you figure out your stuff by then."

"I don't want to get married to you," I retorted back.

"And he doesn't want to either," Jai intervened. "Y'all don't have to act like a real couple; at least not behind closed doors. You only have to be seen together outside, because August is the protector the most coveted right now, and him getting married will definitely attract the District's press. They'll want to know everything."

"What's the catch? What's in it for him?" I raised my brow at August.

Why would he want to help me? He seemed to hate my guts. I wasn't expecting him to do this without getting something in return.

"I will try to get Caleb to drop out the complaint he made against his batshit crazy best friend who attacked my baby for no apparent reason. His name is Nicolas."

August clenched his jaw. "It wasn't for no reason. Your man was bragging about his people killing our people."

"Yeah yeah, whatever," she brushed him off. "You have to do this, Love. They will hurt you."

Jai stared at me with genuine concern in her eyes.

"Why do you keep saying that? Who exactly wants to hurt me?" I inquired, sitting back on the couch. I could feel my heartbeat accelerating in fear. How could someone possibly want to hurt me that badly?

"The Council," August intervened. "They are the elders of all enchanted beings. The Council is composed of seven elders who get to make all the big decisions regarding the fate of all enchanted beings as a nation. Each of them represents a type of enchanted being, so everyone can feel included."

"You'll get to study more about them in the library of the District," Jai continued. "But they will see you as a threat because you don't seem to be human, and you've been attacked by a black shuck on the south territory. Black shucks are the only creatures living in the South with humans since they've been banned; this is why we have fairies and protectors living not too far away from the South so humans can be protected from black shucks."

"And you getting attacked by one means you might be one as well," August added.

"In the Council's mind, at least. The Council is currently on a mission to erase all Black shucks from Menopolix."

"The other protectors and me have been heavily requested to eliminate them," August concluded with a dark glint in his eyes. "And we will succeed."

I gulped, taking in all the knowledge they just gave me.

"But I don't understand. If you guys don't think that I'm a black shuck, why would "The Council" believe otherwise?"

August looked up at me. "Because of the uncertainty. They won't be able to say that you're a black shuck, but they also won't be able to say that you aren't one. And it's enough for them; they don't need more reasons to eliminate you. It's all about keeping our existence unrevealed."

"Was it a love story gone wrong? You owed them money, you stole their mate? It doesn't matter to them. If they see two black shucks fighting, they'll want to eliminate them both. You having a black shuck tracking you means that you could be a potential threat for the community, and The Council doesn't like it."

"And technically, as a Protector, I should report these three incidents to The Council. We are obligated to tell them if anything unusual happens in the South." August stared at me, a hard look in his eyes.

I frowned. Third incident. What was he talking about? "What is the third incident?"

"You seeing the fairy. You weren't supposed to see her because she wasn't in hiding mode. This is enough for them to condemn you."

This can't be happening, this just can't be happening.

I started pacing in the room, crossing my hands behind my back. "So... What you guys are saying is that if I don't marry August in the next few hours, a random group of elders from another magic universe will send people tracking my ass to kill me because they think I'm some evil giant dog who wants to stir trouble in your magic little world?"

They both nodded. "That's pretty much it."

My mind started racing with contradicting thoughts, as I was completely lost and confused.

"This can't be my life right now."

Jai stood up off the couch and faced me. "I know this is a lot for you to bear, Love. So many things have been happening these past few days, and I honestly feel bad that you have to go through all of this."

I raised my eyes on her, as they filled themselves with water. "Why did you never tell me? I'm your best friend, Jai. You hid this from me all of those years."

"I know. I'm so sorry." Her eyes started watering as well.

"Ehmm," August cleared his throat. "I'll be waiting for you ladies outside of the Isolator. Jai, let me know when you girls are ready to go."

Jai nodded and August left us. I felt a little pinch in my stomach as I saw him leaving, but Jai and I needed to talk.

She took me in her arms and gave me a warm hug. "I'm sorry for hiding this from you all this time. Girl, I was in deep shit, I didn't know what to do. The Council forbids every enchanted being from revealing our identity to humans. And I didn't want to put you in danger."

I broke away from her embrace. "So, when you were telling me you couldn't do more activities and stuff after school, did it have something to do with this?"

"Yes. I was at the District. My mom is a Dryad by nature as well, but my dad isn't. He's human; this is why we're all currently living in Menopolix. My mom had to give up her powers so she could live with the love of her life without having The Council on her butt. This is the only way an enchanted being can be with a human."

"She gave up her powers to be with your dad? That is such a strong gesture," I stated, flabbergasted.

"I know. And that's why you see my parents in love every time. They're obsessed with each other. My mom doesn't regret her choice."

"Wow."

"And she knew she could still have enchanted children anyway. Two years and a half later, bang! Ya girl was there."

I frowned in incomprehension. "But since your dad is human, wouldn't that make you an... How do we call this? In Vampire Diaries, Klaus is-"

Jai laughed, interrupting me. "A hybrid, you mean? No, unfortunately, our magic world isn't exactly the same as TVD. The essence of a Dryad is way too strong for a human. It automatically empowers it. In the District, there's no such thing as hybrids who are partially human. It might exist somewhere else, though. There are a lot of other districts with other types of enchanted beings that I don't exactly know of. For all of what we know, you could be from another district far from here. Although it would be weird because you were born in Menopolix, so I don't understand why you would be from another District."

"Mmm, okay. I think I get it... I mean, I'm trying to."

"Don't worry, it will set in with time. Give yourself some grace."

She sat on the couch and I did the same.

"Now I respect my mom's decision and her choices, but girl, I love me some magic," Jai continued. "This is why I'm always at the District. It's the only place where we can practice magic in all safety and without breaking the rules."

"But if you guys are safer in the District, why do y'all always hang out in the South, in Menopolix with humans? I don't get it."

"Well, I'm not proud of it, but a lot of enchanted beings are perverted dicks. They love to have sex and take magical drugs from the District, have "fun" and manipulate humans to have what they want. It's more stimulating for some of them. They're not all like that, though. But some of them are."

"And wouldn't that be black shucks? You guys told me they're the ones banned from the District currently living in the south."

"It's mostly them, but not just them. A lot of other enchanted creatures love to hang out in the south, such as Protectors, even if they're the ones supposed to protect humans."

I immediately thought of August. This is probably why he and his friends were all at this ball. To hang out with humans, and maybe manipulate them. Was August really that kind of person?

"Other enchanted beings, just like myself, have one human parent so they have to alternate between the human world and the district. Then we have enchanted beings who are living in District 4 at all times."

"And do Protectors have to live here? In Menopolix?"

"No, they don't have to, but they can if they want to. Once they reach 18, they're the only enchanted beings who are allowed to make this decision."

"So only enchanted beings with a human parent can live here, in Menopolix?"

"Exactly. The ones with both enchanted beings as parents have to live in the District, and Protectors can choose whenever they want to live in the South or the District since they have to protect humans. And they're expected to keep silent about our identity at all times, they've made a vow about it and all."

Oh. So August could be living here or in the District. I wonder what he decided.

"And now, I have to get married to a Protector."

"Yep girl. You do!"

She suddenly looked around us, all around the room and whispered. "I think he left, I don't smell him anymore. Be honest, you like him don't you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Stop pretending. I know you thought he was fine when you first met him, but I get the impression that you actually like him now. He's a jerk, don't get me wrong, but I noticed all the damn stares you guys keep giving each other."

"We didn't."

"Y'all did, and you like him."

She's so annoying.

"Okay, so what if I like him? He doesn't seem to like me, do you see the way he's acting? Completely cold and unbothered. I was honestly wondering what I did for him to act that way. His energy is different from when we first met him."

"He has a problem with me, but he doesn't necessarily have a problem with you." Jai sighed. "There's a reason for his sudden change of attitude. But I don't think I should be the one telling you why. I think he's the one who has to tell you."

Great. I'll probably never know why.

"Whatever. I don't like him."

"Whatever makes you sleep at night, boo."

I shoved her on the shoulder and she pushed me back, laughing.

"I know I've been acting like a little brat since you told me all of this," I finally told her after we were done playing off. "And I'm not saying all of this isn't hard for me to grasp, because it is. But I just wanted to thank you for saving Dante and me when the situation happened. I don't know what I would've done otherwise."

Jai put her manicured hand on mine.

"Don't worry about it. You're my best friend, Lovely. Enchanted being or not, this is not changing anytime soon."

I smiled gratefully.

"Now, back to serious matters. Like August and I told you, there isn't a lot of time. We're tight, really tight. For you to get married and find out your true nature, I believe you'll need at least three months... At least, we can start with that. So, you have to prepare yourself and come up with an excuse to say to your dad and Paul."

"Why would I need an excuse?"

"Because you'll be staying in the District during those three months. I'll also be there with you."

I stood up off the couch, facing Jai from the front. "Jai! We can't miss three months of school. How are we going to pass our exams? We're almost graduating from our respective programs."

"We'll find a way, don't worry girl. I'm sure we can find some fairies or witches who can put a spell on Mrs. Mac so we can catch up on everything we missed when we come back. As for the graduation, we can still go and do the ceremony. They will still give us the paper even if we didn't pass the year yet. No problem with that."

"And what about the cheer team? They're counting on me and you know that."

Jai squinted her eyes pensively.

"Mmm... I guess I didn't think about that. You could still do the work from the District and, I don't know... Wait, I actually don't know how we can handle this."

"See? That's because I can't leave. I love this team way too much. And I'll miss my dad and Paul. What I am going to say to them? You think my dad is just gonna let me leave like that?"

"I don't know, but we have to leave, Love. I know you don't want to and it can seriously fuck everything up, but it's either that or risk losing you. And I refuse for that to happen. I don't want you to be hurt or... worse. And even if he doesn't show it, August doesn't want any harm happening to you either. This is why we took the time to tell you all of this. Because we have to leave."

"Oh man!" I whined, pacing back and forth in the room. I didn't know what to do.

"If you find out your true nature by then, you'll be able to get a divorce with August, and then you can come back here after. I'm not sure how, but there's probably a way we can convince The Council to let you come back here afterwards. Going to the District doesn't mean you'll have to live there forever. You know, some people who have one human parent choose to never explore their magic side and stay in Menopolix instead. Some of them don't even know they're magical beings, because their powers never reveal themselves. You don't have to live this kind of life if you don't want to."

She was right. After all, my whole life was here. What was the percentage of people living on earth, in Menopolix, finding out that they possibly weren't humans? Pretty sure it didn't happen often. I would go over there for a few months, look out for my "true nature" or whatever, get the divorce with August and then come back here, like nothing happened. This was easy. This was a piece of cake. I could do this.

Deep down within me, I knew damn well things wouldn't be that easy. But I knew that I didn't have any choice. Even if The Council decided not to hurt me, I didn't know if they knew my family, which was putting them in danger. I couldn't take that risk.

"Can they know about my family or my life in general?"

Jai slowly nodded, as if to say "Girl, you're doomed. That's what I've been trying to tell you."

I took a deep breath, thinking about this big decision I had to make.

"Okay. Okay, we'll do it. I'll do it. I'll just say to my dad that I have an internship on the other side of the country for cheerleading. The Regionals are in six months, which is exactly when the deadline for my protection as a Protector wife will be over. By then, I should have gotten the divorce and found my magic identity. And hopefully, my dad won't suspect anything. He knows I love cheerleading almost more than myself."

"And after the first three months, we will both come back here to see our families and make sure the cheer team is holding up well. If you need more time, we'll just find another excuse to give your dad to leave another three months. I frankly don't want to have him and Paul compelled."

I shivered, the idea of my dad being compelled creepy to me. "So do I. My dad doesn't deserve this and I feel so bad about it already. Can't I just tell him about everything going on? About the three incidents and the enchanted world?"

"Unfortunately, you can't. We don't know yet if both of your parents are enchanted beings or if only one of them is. Since your mom isn't with your dad anymore, the right to know about the enchanted world remains to the parent, between the two of them, who's an enchanted being. The other one is forbidden to know in cases of separation or divorce because we don't know if the human parent between the two could use that knowledge for his gain or against the enchanted parent and expose us. It's another rule given by The Council. This rule was made to be applied to exceptional cases like yours, whenever the child's true identity hasn't been established by birth."

"So, I can't even ask my dad if he knows something about me being an enchanted being or if he is one himself?"

"Not before you know your true nature for sure. But for you to be an enchanted being, it would be impossible for both of them to be human. So, I'm sorry to tell you this Love, but one of your parent hid their true nature from you and has been lying for years."

▫️

"How did my life get insane like this?" I kept asking myself as I was preparing my luggage. It was now 8 a.m. and my dad would soon wake up to go work. I had to tell him I was leaving before that.

My life had taken such a crazy turn in just a few weeks. It had become almost too much for me to handle.

August. It was since I met August that my life became such a frenzy. And I knew it was unfair for me to put this on the tall wavy-haired man, but just thinking about him made my blood boil.

He had come into my life, swept me off my feet with his dimples, his intense stare and his musky scent, and then iced me out all in the same time frame. And now, I had to get married to him to not get killed by some freaks from an enchanted world.

This is his fault.

Once I got done with my luggage, I sat on my well-done bed, observing my clean room, thinking about what my dad and Paul would say. I hoped they would believe me because I had to leave, but at the same time, I almost wished they didn't because then, it would give me an excuse not to go.

Was it possible that my dad was an enchanted being and he never told me about it? Because I couldn't possibly imagine my mother being one. It just didn't make sense.

I knew my dad loved me very much, and I couldn't possibly comprehend that he could lie to me about something as important as this. But Jai made herself clear; one of my parents wasn't human. And not being able to ask my dad about it was torture.

I finally found myself on the road and half an hour later, I was at my dad's. I entered the house, screaming like I always did when I visited him. "Dad, it's me!"

"I'm in the room, pumpkin!"

I went over to his room. He was currently getting dressed, wearing his classic black pants and putting on a white blouse. "How is my princess," he said as I gave him a tight and warm hug. I would miss him so much.

"I'm alright. Sad because I won't get to see you for weeks, but happy because I'll get to do cheer."

My dad stopped in his tracks, slowly raising his dark-skinned bald head to look at me with his deep brown eyes. "What did you say?"

Oh, man. Girl, it's now or never.

"Well, I-have-to-go-to-a-cheerleading-internship-during-three-months-with-the-girls-so-we-can-prepare-for-the-regionals-coming-in-six-months," I blurted out quickly, blinking innocently.

His brows furrowed furiously. "Lovely, you know I hate when you do that. What is going on?"

I sighed. "I have to leave, Dad. For three months. There's this cheerleading internship that all girls who want to be qualified for the regionals have to go to. We have to go if we want to get qualified."

My dad finished attaching his shirt and then raised his head. "But I thought you girls were already qualified since you won your last championship?"

Crap. I forgot I told him this.

"Yes, and so did I, but I was just told about this new internship. It's unavoidable."

"We're currently in February. If you leave for three months, you'll be back by the end of April. Your final exams will already be started."

"I know, which is why I will work really hard with all of the girls so we can make sure we don't miss anything. It will be okay, I promise."

"Lovely, I'm sorry to tell you this sunshine, but no. You can't go. You're about to graduate from your law program, leaving now would only jeopardize your future. We agreed that cheerleading was only a hobby, nothing more than that. You know it is never supposed to take the lead on your law career."

"But Dad-"

"I said no!" He suddenly shouted, making me startled.

I knew this wouldn't go well.

I stared at my dad's angry frown for a few seconds. I knew he probably hated himself for raising his voice at me, since he hated to argue. His heavy breathing and confused expression on his face were enough for me to notice. But I also knew he wouldn't bulge. I understood it. Everyone knew that leaving now, as I was about to graduate from a law program in a prestigious college, at the height of my college fame, was like shooting myself in the foot.

But, unfortunately, even if I hated admitting it, that decision wasn't his or anyone else's to make. It was mine.

I have to protect you and Paul, Dad. I'm sorry you can't understand. I wish I could tell you.

"Dad, I'm sorry to tell you this as well, but I will go. Once you've cooled off a bit, we will talk on the phone. Alright?"

I gave him a quick hug, which he didn't return, and turned around.

"Lovely, I forbid you-"

But I was already on my way to go. August and Jai were waiting for me at my house, and I had to go now before I could change my mind. This was now or never.

I wish Paul was here. I'm sure I could've convinced him to let me go.

The way back to my apartment was filled with guilt and confusion. My dad and I didn't fight often. To know that I was leaving like this, without being on good terms with him, was nerve-wracking.

I entered my apartment and was startled to find both August and Jai standing in my living room. "So?" Jai immediately inquired.

"He believed it, but he said no. He thinks I'm putting my law future at risk. I told him I was still going, though. And you guys can't enter my living room like this when I'm not there!"

"Right! I forgot about your dad wanting you to become a soft version of Annalise Keating. See, this wouldn't have happened if you just told him you don't want to do law school, like Paul and I told you to do a hundred times already," Jai replied, purposely ignoring my comment about them trespassing on my property.

I stayed silent, my eyes quickly going between August and Jai. "Oh!" Jai finally exclaimed. Yeah. Don't tell my business in front of that man.

"I'm good," August said calmly, still texting on his phone.

"Well, I'm sorry you had to fight with your dad," Jai continued. "You guys will be fine in a day or two, you know he can never stay mad at you for too long. Now, we have to go."

"Wait, I just have a last question," I interrupted. "Who will pay all of my bills and expenses, since my dad isn't talking to me at the moment?"

"I'll try to request a fairy to do it for you," Jai brushed off quickly, way too quickly. "Now we gotta get our asses out of here. Hold yourself well, because August will teleport us right to the Isolator, and then we will take the portal. Hold your luggage tightly."

August can teleport peo-

I felt myself getting sort of pushed, as if wind was dragging me forward and a split second later, we were all in the Isolator. I blinked rapidly, shocked. "Woah. I'm surprised, I thought it would be more..."

"Dizzying?" August completed for me, raising a brow. "Just wait for the portal. You'll be served well."

I frowned, and Jai shrugged.

We all stared at the door at the back of the white room, contemplating what we were about to do.

"So, are you ready?"

I took a deep breath, observing the white door which was a whole portal, and was about to change my life.

"Yes, yes. I am. Let's do this."

Jai opened the door, giving me a reassuring look, and then entered inside of it. My heart dropped as I saw Jai disappearing right in front of me, being encompassed in some sort of pitch-black nothingness, which was the only thing we could see inside of the door.

It was like the darkness gripped her whole.

Chile, am I really about to step into this shit? This looks like death itself.

"You got this," August's calm voice murmured in my neck. I felt him close, real close. His voice was so satisfying to hear. And he smelled so good.

Dang it.

"C'mon, barbie. You can do it," he added, and I could hear the laughter in his voice. It was subtle, but still there.

My heart fluttered once again. "I can't, August. I just can't-"

I got interrupted by a heart-wrenching scream, and it took me a few seconds to realize that the scream was coming from me. I then felt my body being pushed inside of the door, right through the nothingness and inside death's best friend.

Hi loves ❤️ how is y'all? So happy to finally get this chapter out, I'm already writing the next one lmao. So, what do we think of the little plot twist? 👀

Do we think August will finally tell Lovely the reason for his sudden change of attitude?

See y'all soon! Thank you so much for reading, voting and commenting 🫶🏾

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101 0 8
When Lucy Maddick finds out that she isn't human...her entire life is flipped upside down. She was ready to finish her last few weeks of college, pr...
779 31 14
Michelle Diamond is just your average nerd. Book loving and loves hanging out with her other nerd friends, but one day that all changes. Suddenly Mic...
145K 5.8K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
76K 1.1K 8
Naomi is a pre-medical student at the University of Chicago. For most of her life, she's held the burden of being a strange girl with unique gifts an...