The Black Winter

By nothing347

Joan Isakov has been with the Avengers for a little less than a year now. They had saved her from a Hydra bas... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chater 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45

Chapter 19

204 5 2
By nothing347

Bucky's pov
Once more, Joan is secluding herself in the computer room. I understand where she is coming from, I just wish that she would trust me and let me help her. I could tell that something was off with her though, but it was none of my business.

We're all just hangout on the common room. Natasha, Wanda, and Rose were all baking different things. Rose was on cookies, Nat on brownies, and Wanda is working on a cake. Steve, Tony, Thor, and I were all playing a card game. Sam, Clint, and Peter are all watching tv, then the smoke alarm starts going off.

We all turn out attention to the three girls baking in the kitchen. Tony gets up from the game and starts to swat at the smoke with a towel. Steve and I are dying of laughter.

"Oh my gosh!" Tony says, starting to cough.

"Aren't women good at baking?" Thor asks.

"Not Nat," Clint laughs.

Natasha throws a spatula at Clint, hitting him in the forehead, and Wanda throws brownie batter in his face. This only makes Steve and I double in laughter.

"Remember when you tried to bake that bread Stevie?" I howl with laughter.

"It only came out that way because you forgot to set the timer!" Steve laughs.

Then out of no where, Joan bursts through the doors. In her hands is a gun. Her eyes scan the room. I hate that she always wears that mask.

"What are you doing Joan?" Tony asks still swatting the cloud of smoke.

"Joan, put the gun down," I tell her, standing up. Something was wrong, I could see it in her eyes.

"There were alarms going off," she says.

"Smoke alarm dumb ass. Your being paranoid," Tony says.

"They were flashing red," she says through the mask.

"Yeah, we have deaf people in the building, the lights let them know that something is on fire. Besides, if something was wrong then the lights would be flashing blue," Steve explains.

"Something's not right," she says to herself.

"Take off the mask Joan," I try telling her. I could also tell that it made Rose feel uneasy.

Then, Joan quickly points her gun down the hallway.

"Joan, come on," I try reasoning with her.

"Shut up," she commands.

"Oh for the love of-" Tony starts, but is quickly shut up by Joan.

"Shut. Up," she commands once more, this time more coldly.

She starts making her way to Tony's room. We all follow her, now thinking that something was wrong. She opens the door and checks the bathroom, the closet, every nick and corner of his room. Her grip on her gun, becoming tighter and tighter.
She opens the balcony door and checks out there. Looking over the balcony and above it.

"Ok, can you get out of my room now ya psychopath?" Tony says rudely.

Then, the gun falls from Joan's hand. I can see her knees give out as she catches herself on the wall, the other arm on her head.

Something's not right. Her eyes are closed shut. We all just stand there, unsure of what to do.

"Shut up,"she says through her teeth.

"Joan, no one said anything," I say, trying to get through to her.

She turns around and faces me. Her pupils growing and shrinking by the milliseconds. She goes to reach for me but quickly pulls back, dropping to her knees. This isn't good, something wrong.

"Joan, please, talk to us,"I say in a calm soft voice. I place my hand on her shoulder but she swipes it away. She goes to stand back up. She's hunched over with her hands resting against her thighs.

"I can help," Rose says, walking up to her.

Rose walks up to Joan and places her hands on her head. Then something inside of her changed. She stands back up, straight as a pencil and shoves Rose into me.

"Get off me!" Joan yells.

"I can help," she says.

"I'm fine!" Joan shouts. She bends down and grabs her gun. And rushes out of the room. We all just stand there for a moment.

"Something not right," I state. Then I get the feeling that someone else is here and I can tell that Natasha gets the same feeling.

"I'll go get Joan, Natasha, Clint, and Steve, scan the area," I command as I rush out of the room.

As I get out of Tony's room I make my way down the hall, then I spot Joan laying on the floor unconscious. I rush over to her and pick her up. I don't like this, somethings not right. I look down to the floor and see the tiniest bit of mud. I push it off and pick up Joans unconscious body.

She felt hot, like feverish hot. Which is weird considering that she, just like Steve and I, is a super soldier. Then, I can here her mumbling under her breath. I rush her to the labs where I find Bruce. I burst through the doors where Cho and Banner are talking.

"Bruce, I need your help. Something's wrong with Joan," I tell him.

The three of us head to the hospital wing and take her to one of the rooms. I lay her down on the bed and Bruce starts running test, taking her temperature and what not. The entire time she's rumbling and talking in different languages. Bruce, Cho, and I leave the room to discuss the matter.

"She seems to be sick," Cho says.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"She has a fever of 129, almost 130. Her normal body temperature should 112-115 degrees. Not only that but her body seems to be fighting off some sort of virus," Bruce explains.

"But she's a super soldier, she doesn't just get sick," I explain.

The two of them shrug. Things weren't adding up.

"We'll know more once she wakes up but for now we all we know is that her body is fighting off some sort of virus," Bruce adds.

Bruce and I end up waiting for her to wake up. The entire time she keeps on talking to her self. I tried to keep track but she keeps on switching and going to languages that I don't know. After about another two hours she wakes up with a jolt. She's covered in sweat.

I go up to her and gently try to get her to lay back down. Doing my best not to startle her.

"Lay back down Joan," I say softly.

She looks at me and her face softens. Instead of aggression, she gently takes my hands and place them at my sides. She swings her legs across the bed and starts to rub the side of her head. I could see goosebumps all along her arms. Cho had switched out her uniform for a pair of leggings and a black t-shirt.

"Joan, you need to lay back down," Bruce says.

"No, I need to find him," Joan says.

"Tony and Natasha are finding him, you need to rest and get some fluids into you,"Bruce says, walking over to us.

I can see Joans eyes go to the syringe. She quickly stands up from the bed. I can tell that her legs want to give out but she won't let them.

"I'm fine. I need to find him, this is my job," she stammers.

"Joan, your sick. Your body temperature is high and you were experiencing hallucinations," I tell her.

"I don't get sick," she fights back.

"Well then how do you explain a temperature of 128? Joan, our normal body temperature is 112, you shouldn't be any higher then 115," I add.

"I'm fine, thank you for your concern, but I'm fine."

"Joan, your shaking and you can barely stand," I say softly.

"Look, let me just give you some-''

"No! I-I mean no. I don't need any medicine," she says, cutting Bruce off.

"Look, I'll make a deal with you Joan. If you lay down for a little bit and let Bruce give you some medicine then I will make you the best ramen that you have ever had," I say.

"No, look I'm fine," she says once more. Then she drops to her knees and let's out a yelp.

"Joan!" I shout, dropping to her side. I bend down and place one hand on her back and the other on the floor next to her hand. I can see her face scrunch up in discomfort. I watch as her hands turn into fists and her body becomes tight.

"Bruce, grab the sedatives," I command. I can tell that she's in pain, but not only that but it looks like she's fighting something, and I could tell that it wouldn't end well.

So Bruce quickly goes into one of the drawers and pulls out a syringe. He quickly sticks the needle in the side of her neck and her body goes limp and she becomes silent.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 74 14
You were one of the best detectives until one day you happened to meet a Hydra member. Ever since that day, nothing has been the same. You have been...
646K 17.6K 21
Ever wonder what drove Howard stark against HYDRA? His daughter y/n Stark, owes her life to it. At the age of twenty one y/n disappeared and HYDRA wa...
57.8K 1.3K 61
Valerie was one of the original Avengers but was taken hostage by HYDRA after being saved by Tony Stark only a few years prior. Upon her return the g...
445K 13.9K 45
Bucky Barnes had found refuge on a small farm in Montana two years ago. It was there that the Winter Soldier seemed to disappear from his mind and B...