COTE: A Mute Guy

By Weebooguy

Kagurazaka Norogumi is a unique student who is slightly different from the others. Is he mentally and physica... More

Vol. 1 Chp. 1: A Different Student
Vol. 1 Chp. 2: Club Fair
Vol. 1 Chp. 3: Life As A Student
Vol. 1 Chp. 4: Called To The Office
Vol. 1 Chp. 5: Study Group Failure
Vol. 1 Chp. 6: Group Of Failures
Vol. 1 Chp. 7: Midterm
Vol. 2 Chp. 1: Bad News
Vol. 2 Chp. 2: Finding A Witness
Vol. 2 Chp. 3: Unexpected Witness
Vol. 2 Chp. 4: Confession
Vol. 2 Chp. 5: A Second Identity
Vol. 2 Chp. 6: Sudou's Trial
Vol. 2 Chp. 7: Trial Of Truth And Lies
Vol. 3 Chp. 1: This Isn't A Vacation
Vol. 3 Chp. 2: Deserted Island Exam
Vol. 3 Chp. 3: Choosing A Leader
Vol. 3 Chp. 4: Class C's Camp
Vol. 3 Chp. 5: Class B's and A's Camps
Vol. 3 Chp. 6: A Walk
Vol. 3 Chp. 7: Trouble Abrews
Vol. 3 Chp. 8: End Of Island Exam
Vol. 3 Chp. 9: A Break
Vol. 4 Chp. 2: Cruise Ship Exam
Vol. 4 Chp. 3: Planning
Vol. 4 Chp. 4: Provoking Others
Vol. 4 Chp. 5: Headstrong
Vol. 4 Chp. 6: End Of Cruise Ship
Characters Class D Girls Vol. 1
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 1: Fortune Teller
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 2: Katsuragi's Girlfriend?
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 3: Katsuragi's Birthday
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 4: Summer Paradise
Vol. 5 Chp. 1: Sports Festival Announcement

Vol. 4 Chp. 1: End Of Peaceful Days

725 38 11
By Weebooguy

'Italic': Notebook

Three days have passed since the test on the uninhabited island. Nothing of note was happening on the luxurious cruise ship our school provided us with, and a peaceful lull had set in. As we watched the girls who were dilly-dallying their time away, we boys collectively began to expect a destined experience with the girls. This is still a luxurious cruise ship where you can lose yourself in a dreamlike world and forget about everything terrible. It wouldn't be strange if people were to fall in love here.

Besides, I've already heard quite a few stories of students hooking up with each other on this cruise and new couples being born every other day.

I had more significant problems to deal with, though. I wanted to know about this man that wanted me to drop out.

I don't think I was going to get any answers.

The students were incredibly relaxed since the island test had just ended. And it's not exactly a bad thing. The fact that students could stay calm during the test is why we got good results.

"Hmm? Have you been in your room this whole time?" Hirata asked.

I shook my head, 'I've been out. I'm relaxing in my room.'

"Oh, well, do you want to hang out?" Hirata asked.

I haven't spent time with any guys for the last three days.

I didn't have a problem with it.

'What about Karuizawa?'

"It's okay; I can eat with Karuizawa-San whenever I want. It has been a while since we hung out."

'Okay, let's go.'

"Okay, I'll cancel the lunch with Karuizawa-san after all," Hirata pulls out his phone and calls Karuizawa.

I listened as Hirata forcibly shut Karuizawa down and canceled the date.

"Where do you want to eat?" He asked, putting his phone into his pocket.

'Anything is fine with me.'

"Let's go to the deck," Hirata opened the door as I walked out.

"I can't thank you and Horikita-san for the help during the island test and finding the culprit that stole the underwear," Hirata said.

'Did you return Karuizawa's underwear to her yourself?'

"Yeah, after all, Ibuki-san was the culprit so she could accept it smoothly."

Since there was also an on-board pool nearby, male and female students were boldly wearing swimsuits and swimming in the pool. Since the tension of the test had come undone, this was inevitable. It might have been that the pent-up rebellious desire of the students that was suppressed during the island test finally came free to result in this situation.

This was compounded by the fact that you do not need to pay any points for using the facilities provided by the cruise, including food and drinks. Regardless of your points, the above things are all free. Of course, you'd still need to pay to loan swimsuits and other swimming equipment, but aside from that, everything else is free.

By the time we reached the restaurant, over half the seats were filled. The two of us quickly secured the vacant seats in the crowded restaurant.

"To be honest...I have something I'd like to talk to you about," Hirata said.

I tilted my head.

"I would like you to be the bridge between Horikita-san and me; I think Horikita-san will be an indispensable person to Class D in the future, and I would very much like to work with her," Hirata explains.

'You shouldn't worry about me being a bridge between you and Horikita. It would be best if you gave her some time. It was already difficult to have her admit that we were allies and friends.'

Hirata laughed, "I understand. The morale of the class is soaring. I think the number of students who like Horikita-san has also increased, which is a huge change from before."

"Right now, I feel like together with me, Horikita-san, you, and everyone else working together, we can climb up to Class A," Hirata says optimistically.

'Hirata... I'm no leader, but I will help the class.'

"I'm sorry, I invited you out here only to listen to my selfish request; let's eat, shall we?" Hirata said.

Perhaps he noticed, too, but after a while, Hirata also became aware that someone was approaching us and looked at me with an embarrassed face.

"Ah... so you were here, after all, Hirata-kun. Let's eat lunch together!" A happy voice called out to us.

It was Karuizawa who was approaching us.

"Umm... Karuizawa-san, I called you a while ago to tell you about canceling the lunch, but..." Hirata was stumbling over his words.

Karuizawa and her friends pulled another table and joined it with our table, but Karuizawa quickly pushed me out of the group.

The lunch suddenly became rather noisy.

I picked up my food and quietly left.

I returned to my room with no one to hang out with or talk to. I used the stairs instead of the elevator to return to the ship to the third floor, where my room was.

I noticed wet stains in the corridor. It wasn't just my room, but the stains stretched through the corridor. I walked along the stains, following them, and noticed a man walking gracefully through the corridor wearing nothing but swim pants. His entire upper body was naked.

Kouenji...

"S-sir! If you walk through the corridor while wet, this is a problem for us!" One of the staff, noticing the emergency, rushes down to talk to the man. The staff member was already carrying a towel as if he'd always been carrying it in situations like this.

"Ha. Ha. Ha. It looks like you've found me," Kouenji declared.

"Yes, sir. It's the fourth time I've found you like this. I've told you countless times before, but please wipe your body off before returning to the ship. D-doing something like this will greatly inconvenience the other guests," the staff said.

"Ah, if it isn't Silent-kun? What a coincidence," Kouenji grinned.

"I will excuse myself," the staff boy said as he shuffled away.

"It looks like my fan has left," Kouenji stated.

'He was attempting to give you a towel since you're wet.'

"I see. So he was attempting to take care of me?" Kouenji noted. "

I nodded.

I opted to turn right instead of left and chose to return to my room some other time. Hirata, Yukimura, and Kouenji, who also share my room, should be returning shortly. Instead, I went to the nearby guideboard on which the ship's map was illustrated clearly, describing the various escape routes in case of an emergency. As I listlessly walked through the corridors on the second-floor area, it seemed there were not many students at this time. Then the mobile phone in my pocket vibrated. I took it out to see that I had mail. A certain girl had called me out. Since I had nothing better to do, I accepted and headed out to meet her.

When I approached the girl who sent me the message, Sakura, I could hear anxious sighs from her mouth.

I tapped her shoulder.

"Aaaah... K-Kagurazaka-kun?" Sakura turned around, quickly panicked, and said my name in shock.

I nodded.

S-sorry, I-I was just slightly nervous".

"Kagurazaka-kun, your roommates are Hirata-kun, Yukimura-kun, and Kouenji-kun...right?"

I nodded.

'Is something wrong?'

she asked me. "Yeah, is something the matter?". I was surprised to hear her ask such a thing. "Umm... about that... I was slightly worried about the people I'm sharing my room with..." she trailed off.

"I do feel like I want to be friends with them. But a part of me wants to be alone, too. I'm hopeless, aren't I?" Sakura's voice trailed off weakly.

'Who are your roommates?'

"It's Shinohara-san, Ichihashi-san, and Maezono-san..." Sakura sadly replied while giving me the names of her roommates.

Unlike Sakura, it's a gathering of girls with powerful and distinct personalities. Speaking of Shinohara, she's a girl who's close friends with Karuizawa. She's a headstrong girl who frequently quarrels with the boys and doesn't hold back against people she doesn't like.

I don't think she'd hold anything against Sakura, but I doubt they'll be raring to make friends, either.

Ichihashi is usually more mature, but her personality might overwhelm Sakura.

I don't know much about Maezono, but she seems to be the friendly type. So, she has the highest chance to be friends with Sakura.

For Sakura, this must be like being thrown into a den of lions.

'Why do you want my help?'

"I thought if it's Kagurazaka-kun... I might be able to get some good advice..." she said.

She seemed pretty dependent on me but quickly apologized, "I-I'm sorry, Kagurazaka-kun must also be busy; sorry for depending on you like this."

The door to the room opened, "Oh, it's Kagurazaka-kun and Sakura-san; what are you two doing here?"

It was another one of my classmates, Kushida Kikyou, who came into the guest lounge to greet us. Sakura's previously bright expression quickly darkened, and the atmosphere turned awkward.

Although Kushida was unaware of it, the usually antisocial Sakura rejected her presence and withdrew herself. Of course, Kushida kept talking without caring about the world.

"It's okay; I'm not going to disturb you two. I was on my way to meet some friends anyways," Kushida said.

"I-I'll be going back then..." Sakura weakly told me.

Although Kushida tried to excuse herself, Sakura got back up and ran back towards her room.

"I'm sorry. Perhaps I came at a bad time? Should I not have called out to you?" Kushida tried to apologize to me.

'It's okay, but I should be going.'

"Kagurazaka-kun, you're around me, aren't you? I can sense that sort of thing."

I shook my head, 'Kushida, if I were wary of you, I would avoid you at all costs.'

"Sorry, I feel lonely when I'm left all alone. I thought maybe you..."

'You want someone you can be around and rely on, right?'

Kushida's eyes widened before her expression turned dark, "You don't know me."

At the same time, an announcement started over the ship's speakers, "This is an announcement to all students. You will have received mail on your phones earlier. Check the contents of the mail and follow those instructions closely. If you have not received the mail, please get in touch with your nearest available faculty member. This is a significant announcement, so please do not miss it. I repeat..." the voice repeated the message.

The message from the school arrived on both our phones simultaneously after all. The following was written in the mail on my phone:

The examination will be starting soon. Gather at the designated time in the designated rooms. Students who are more than 10 minutes late for the meeting will receive a penalty. Go to room 204 on the second floor by 18:00 today. Since there are only 20 minutes left until then, please wash your hands and keep your phone in silent mode or turn it off entirely.

It seems like we have a test coming up. It won't be anything like the usual paper or physical fitness exams we've had before. Similar to the island test, this is something unique to our school. Unfortunately, no further details have been provided in the mail. We can only speculate at this point. We must gather in room 204 at 6:00 p.m., with only twenty minutes to spare. We will have to wait and see what this test entails.

"Can I see your mail?" Kushida asked.

I show it to her. She showed me her message, too, but despite the basic structure being the same, the gathering point for her was two rooms down from mine, and the gathering time was 20:40 instead of 18:00.

"I wonder why they'd give us such strange instructions?" She wondered.

I was already having a bad feeling.

I shouldn't be surprised that our cruise ship would have an exam set up.

I quickly sent a message via mail to Horikita, and she replied to me almost instantly.

Kagurazaka: Did you receive an email from the school just now?

Horikita: I did

Kagurazaka: I was appointed to meet at 18:00. What about you?

Horikita: Mine's at 20:40. Our gathering times are assigned differently

Kagurazaka: I see. At 20:40 huh?

Horikita: I'm curious about this difference in starting times; this could give rise to a feeling of unfairness between the students of different groups

Kagurazaka: I can't say for sure at this point.

Hroikita: There are things I'd like to discuss further, but there's no time. Since your gathering time is earlier, please tell me what happened.

"Kagurazaka-kun?"

While I was focused on chatting with Horikita, Kushida stared at me as if to ask me what was wrong.

'Sorry, I should get going to the designated meeting point.'

I arrived at my destination, Room 204, on the second floor, five minutes before the designated time. Students were shuffling into their assigned rooms in the corridor. Although I couldn't identify every student, I saw students from other classes passing by me. At first, I thought of waiting outside the room, but I was afraid the meeting might have already started without me. Therefore, I decided to hurry towards the room. After giving a knock, I received a quick reply, "Enter."

I entered the room and saw the homeroom teacher for Class A, Mashima-sensei, sitting on a chair. There were two male students from Class D, whom I recognized, sitting before Mashima-sensei.

"Ahh. So, one of the remaining two from our group is Kagurazaka-dono. Kopo!" The student who let out this declaration ending with this strange onomatopoeia was none other than Sotomura. A geek-type boy from our class who is as otaku as he looks like.

He's familiar with machinery, history, and other bits and pieces of trivia, although he unexpectedly is terrible at communication.

"Isn't this strange, Kagurazaka?" the one who asked me that question was Yukimura, sitting next to Sotomaru.

I sat silently beside Yukimura, who was beside Sotomura. The strange thing that slightly worried me was that there was another chair right beside me that was still empty. It seems to be that we were being put into groups of four students from the same class with one teacher supervising us.

"There's one more person who will be joining us; we will quietly wait for them to arrive first," Mashima-sensei told us.

Based on how he conveyed the message to us, it appears that the delayed arrival of this person is not a significant issue, even if it causes us to wait. However, to maintain fairness among all students, it is reasonable to explain the exam once everyone in the group is present.

The principles remain the same whether it is a written exam or surviving on an uninhabited island. However, this exam will take place in this small room. I wonder what it means. Perhaps I'm worrying too much. Either way, I'll get my answers once the last member of our group arrives.

I sit in the chair, thinking there's no need for further conversation until then. A heavy silence falls upon us as we wait for our last member. The scheduled time has passed, so I hope the person will arrive soon.

The ticking of the clock is the only sound filling the room. Soon, the clock strikes 6:00 p.m., and Mashima-sensei looks at the clock before a knock is heard on the door. In my case, the teacher tells the person to enter.

"Excuse me," a voice was heard as the last member of our group joined us. It was Karuizawa who came into the room and sat down in the chair next to me.

"Eh, why are Yukimura-kun and the others here?" Karuizawa asked.

"I thought the mail told the students to all be punctual; you're late," Mashima-sensei reprimanded Karuizawa.

"Sorry," Karuizawa quickly replied. Karuizawa seemed dissatisfied with Mashima-sensei's words and our existence in general. My eyes met Karuizawa's for a moment, and she quickly looked away, lifted her chair, and placed some distance between us.

Was she embarrassed about what I witnessed at the cafe? Does she hate the idea of being close to me?

"Sotomura, Yukimura, Kagurazaka and Karuizawa. I will now explain the contents of the exam," Mashima-sensei said.

"Okay, wait a minute. I don't understand this; what do you mean by explaining the exam? The exam's already over, right? And what are these people doing here? Isn't this strange?" Karuizawa immediately shot off a barrage of questions towards Mashima-sensei.

"I'm not going to be answering any more questions at this stage, so listen quietly," Mashima-sensei instantly responded to Karuizawa, glaring at her sternly.

"In this special exam, all the 1st year students will be divided into groups based on their zodiac signs, and the entirety of the examination will be conducted in groups of students sharing the same zodiac sign as the four of you here. The purpose of the test is to assess your 'thinking ability.'" Mashima-sensei explained.

"What do you mean by 'thinking ability'?" Karuizawa, who had just been asked to stay quiet, started asking questions again. It must have been on reflex, but she won't listen to Mashima-sensei's words.

"I've already told you I won't be answering questions," Mashima-sensei sternly told her again. Even Karuizawa seemed to understand the gravity of the situation now as she fell quiet.

"There are three required attributes that people who function well in society must master: Action, Thinking, and Teamwork. These skills are necessary for you all to become successful adults. The last test on the island emphasized teamwork quite heavily. However, this one will emphasize your thinking. The ability to think critically, analyze the situation at hand, and resolve the problem given will be tested in this exam. The ability to work creatively with imagination and work determinedly towards resolving the problem, such traits will become vital for this task." Mashima-sensei explained the exam's overall gist to us.

"Therefore, this exam will be conducted with 12 groups split up according to their zodiac signs, and the exam will occur under those conditions," Mashima-sensei continued.

Rules

The exam starts at 8:00 a.m. on the first day.

All groups will be emailed stating that the VIP students have already been chosen.

The exam itself will primarily take place between 1:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. Students are free to act as they wish during the day.

For about an hour each day, twice, groups will need to gather together and discuss. The talk's content will be left up to the discretion of each group.

At the end of the exam, the VIP students of other groups must be identified. This will be done between 9:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.

Only one answer can be submitted by each group. The answers must be sent to faculty members through a specific address that will be provided to mobile phones.

The VIP student cannot be the one to send the answers.

The identity of the VIP student of the group you are assigned must only be sent. Any other answer will be marked as invalid.

Details of the exam results will be mailed to students by 11:00 p.m. on the final day.

Possible results

1. Share the identity of the VIP and clear the exam together as one.

If the answers of the VIP student and the other group members are correct, they will receive private points (including members other than the VIP student themselves).

2. Answer incorrectly, and the group loses, but the VIP still receives points.

If there are incorrect answers or unanswered questions by people other than the VIP student, only the VIP student will receive 500,000 private points.

3. A traitor uncovers the identity of the VIP.

If someone other than the VIP answers the question before waiting for the allocated time and answers correctly, the class the answerer belongs to will receive 50 class points each, and the answerer will receive 500,000 private points.

On the other hand, classes whose VIPs have been identified will receive a penalty of -50 class points for their whole class. Once this has been achieved, the test will be over for the group.

However, if a member of the VIP class answers correctly, the previous result will be invalid, and the examination for that group will continue.

4. The traitor disregards the judgment of the VIP.

Suppose someone other than the VIP answers the question before waiting for the misallocated time and answers. In that case, the class the answerer belongs to will receive a penalty of -50 class points each, but the VIP will still receive 500,000 private points. The class to which the VIP belongs obtains 50 class points.

If the answer is given incorrectly, the group's exam will end.

However, if a member of the VIP class answers incorrectly, the answer will be considered invalid and not accepted.

Forbidden actions that will result in expulsion

Stealing the mobiles of other students.

Any actions such as copying, deleting, transferring, or altering mail to the faculty are strictly forbidden.

You're not allowed to use intimidation to coerce the reveal of information, such as the identity of the "target" students.

Without permission, you cannot mail the answers to the faculty using another student's mobile.

Furthermore, if any suspicious activity is uncovered, the school will launch a thorough investigation to ensure no rule violations occur.

Mashima-sensei gave us paper to see who would be in our group.

Rabbit Group

Class A (B): Takemoto Shigeru, Machida Kouji, Morishige Takuro

Class B (A): Ichinose Honami, Hamaguchi Tetsuya, Beppu Ryouta

Class C: Ibuki Mio, Manabe Shiho, Yabu Nanami, Yamashita Saki

Class D: Kagurazaka Norogumi, Karuizawa Kei, Sotomura Hideo, Yukimura Teruhiko

Rabbit?

It isn't the typical zodiac signs like Taurus, Sagittarius, Cancer...

"Oi, Kagurazaka, do you understand it properly?" Yukimura asked.

I nodded.

"Thank goodness... I thought I was left with airheads."

Once that was done, our group was told to leave, and we stood up to leave the room simultaneously.

"Reluctantly as it may be, we are already united as a group, so we must deepen our unity as a team. The "target" will be announced tomorrow, but why don't we stay and have a chat, just the four of us?" Yukimura suggested.

However, Karuizawa completely ignored his words as she took out her mobile and started walking away from us.

"Oi, Karuizawa. Are you listening to me?" Yukimura asks the departing Karuizawa.

Karuizawa ignored Yukimura's existence and disregarded him, "Ah... Hirata-kun? There's something I'd like to ask you."

She walked away from us and soon disappeared.

"Damn, why do I have to be in a group with her?" Yukimura grumbles.

"This is a very troublesome thing indeed, to be teamed up with such a bitch," Sotomura starts spewing venom at Karuizawa once she leaves.

"I have to agree with you, though. It seems like she'll be pulling our legs the whole way," Yukimura says.

"She truly is the bitch among bitches," Sotomura says, agreeing.

I'm glad that they are bonding over talking trash about Karuizawa.

"If one of us is announced as the "target" tomorrow morning, let's not tell each other immediately. There's no telling who's listening where. The walls have ears. Let's report to each other in a secure location."

I nodded as I agreed with the plan. We had no idea who would be listening to us.

"Although Karuizawa is gone, I'd still like to discuss the plans for tomorrow with just the three of us. Please stay with me a little longer," Yukimura pleaded.

"I must decline since I cannot respond to your expectations. You see, from now on, I have to go back to my room to watch the new Love Love Alive anime," Sotomura says as he instantly disappears from here, almost like a ninja.

'Yukimura, let's discuss the plan.'

"We need to find a secure location to talk," Yukimura said.

~Timeskip~

Once I had returned to my room, I then struggled to sleep. I heard a noise and looked to see who it was.

"Sorry, did I wake you up?" Hirata said as he organized his luggage neatly while looking at me apologetically.

I shook my head.

It looked like he was preparing to leave the room since he wore his uniform. I wanted to see who would be in Horikita's group.

'Is it alright if I accompany you to wherever you're going?'

"I don't mind. It seems a rather unusual exam is about to begin; at least, that's how I feel," Hirata says.

"Yukimura-kun told me in the cafeteria earlier about your Rabbit group and how everyone was receiving explanations one after the other," Hirata admits.

"If there's anything you've figured out, Kagurazaka-kun, please share it with me," Hirata says.

'I will if I get more information.'

"I was wondering why they would go to all the trouble of separating us into groups to explain the same thing to us separately," Hirata says.

As Hirata points out, explaining concepts to a group of students gathered together rather than separately would be more efficient and less time-consuming. The school's current method seems inefficient, but there is likely a specific reason behind it. It's possible that the exam's assessment of "thinking ability" is part of that reason.

"I'm planning to ask sensei about it later, though," Hirata admits.

The location where Hirata's meeting was scheduled was relatively less crowded than when my meeting was held there. However, there were still a handful of students present. Some sat on the stairs close to the elevator, while others were busy using their phones. Some students were still speculating about the explanation they were about to receive.

"I... doubt these all going to be part of my group," Hirata mutters.

"If I'm not wrong, you're also from the 20:40 group, are you not?". The one who asked that with a low voice was Katsuragi of Class A.

Or should I say Class B?

This person has a calm demeanor and displays a level of maturity that is surprising for a first-year high school student. They also have an excellent physical appearance, which may make some mistakes for a college student. Many classmates still see them as a strong candidate for the leader of Class A (B).

"If so, does this have something to do with you?" Horikita asked.

"No. But I just wanted to talk to you all since starting tomorrow, we'll cooperate as part of the same group," Katsuragi stated.

"You want to talk now? That's funny. The other day, you brushed us aside when we came to talk," Horikita spat.

There were three other students from Class A with Katsuragi, and listening from a distance without approaching were two girls who seemed to either be from Class B (A) or Class C.

"Honestly, I've never paid any attention to Class D before. But after the previous exam results, it's hard to stay inconspicuous, right?" If one day you rise from Class D to Class C, remember that our class will show no mercy before crushing you into pieces," Katsuragi warned Horikita.

"That's a petty thing to say; after all, I don't want to hear it from a class that dropped from A to B," Horikita counters.

Almost as if in sync, the students around Katsuragi gathered together to glare at Horikita in an intimidating manner.

Horikita barely reacted to this intimidation.

Kanzaki seems aware of Horikita's intellect and moves towards Katsuragi to protect Horikita from him.

"You don't need to talk with Katsuragi; after all, the situation is what it is," Kanzaki said to Horikita.

"Don't worry, I'm used to people looking down on Class D," Horikita counters his offer to help.

"I see. Someone from a class like D must be used to getting this treatment; I must admit I also shared the same view towards your class. But the incident on the island made me revise my view towards your class," Katsuragi said while swiping some dust off his clothes.

"But just because you got lucky and won once, I'd like you not to get arrogant and think we're equals now," Katsuragi follows up.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Horikita asks him in response.

"I'm trying to say that there is a time in everyone's lives when they get lucky once and close the gap a bit. But don't get in over your head just because of this one lucky incident. The difference between our class points is still tremendous," Katsuragi tells her.

"We've just started our high school life; the difference may be large, but do not forget that it is the school that arbitrarily decided who went to which class, and we have distributed to those classes accordingly," Kanzaki interjected in a dignified manner.

'What a troublesome group.'

Hirata nodded, "It was inevitable the moment we were grouped with Katsuragi-kun and Kanzaki-kun, I think."

I turned to see someone, and I thought things would become problematic.

"Kukuku. It looks like many weaklings are gathered here; let me have some fun here," Ryuuen said. It was Ryuuen who said that.

"Ryuuen, huh?". Katsuragi lost his previously calm expression, and Kanzaki's expression changed to alertness.

"Have you also been allocated to this room? Or did you happen to be walking by?"

"Unfortunately, I'm with you," Ryuuen instantly replies to that question while three other students obediently walk behind him.

Ryuuen's eyes landed on me, and he had a feral grin, "Kagurazaka, are you in my group?"

I shook my head.

"Kukuku. That's a shame. I wanted to see the scheming bastard plan with my eyes."

Katsuragi returns to his usual, calm self, "I originally thought our group would have students with high academic ability, but after seeing you and your lackeys, I can see this isn't going to be the case."

"Academic ability? What nonsense, having academic ability won't mean anything," Ryuuen retorts.

"Hearing that from you is a shame; academic ability is the most important factor determining your future success and ability to impact the future. It is even said that Japan is built on a society of academics," Katsuragi chides Ryuuen for his earlier remark, but it doesn't seem to have fazed Ryuuen.

"I won't forget this insult," Katsuragi said.

"Huh? Insult? I don't recall having done anything like that. Would you care to refresh my memory?" Ryuuen mocks Katsuragi.

"It doesn't matter; since we're in the same group, we should have the opportunity to talk at length later," Katsuragi ends the conversation, seeing how the explanation for their group was almost about to begin.

"Hmm? Hirata-kun? And even Kagurazaka-kun? What are you guys doing here?" Kushida said, approaching us with a strange expression.

"Could it be that Kushida-san is also in the 20:40 group?" Hirata asks.

"Yeah. I don't understand what's going on, but I was told to come here at this hour in the mail...and wow...it seems like an amazing group of people have gathered here," Kushida says as she walks around, greeting the gathered students individually.

I think I should be on my way.

I walked over to Horikita, tapping her shoulder.

"Yes?"

'Good luck.'

Horikita nodded, "Thanks."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 239 29
Kodo Ikusei High School - is a prestigious school with unrivaled statistics. 100% of graduates from this school go to university or find work. Studen...
24.4K 880 12
A story that focuses on the romantic development between Ayanokouji Kiyotaka and Sakayanagi Arisu. This takes place during Volume 11.5 of Year 1, and...
10.6K 312 4
This is a what if scenario that I took interest in and this is a whole lot different reaction with an AU of course....... Ayanokoji Kiyotaka had enr...
11K 470 13
Ayanokoji enters ANHS as a student to experience what life would be like as an ordinary high school student. But will he be able to live such a life?