COTE: A Mute Guy

By Weebooguy

Kagurazaka Norogumi is a unique student who is slightly different from the others. Is he mentally and physica... More

Vol. 1 Chp. 1: A Different Student
Vol. 1 Chp. 2: Club Fair
Vol. 1 Chp. 3: Life As A Student
Vol. 1 Chp. 4: Called To The Office
Vol. 1 Chp. 5: Study Group Failure
Vol. 1 Chp. 6: Group Of Failures
Vol. 1 Chp. 7: Midterm
Vol. 2 Chp. 1: Bad News
Vol. 2 Chp. 2: Finding A Witness
Vol. 2 Chp. 3: Unexpected Witness
Vol. 2 Chp. 4: Confession
Vol. 2 Chp. 5: A Second Identity
Vol. 2 Chp. 6: Sudou's Trial
Vol. 2 Chp. 7: Trial Of Truth And Lies
Vol. 3 Chp. 1: This Isn't A Vacation
Vol. 3 Chp. 2: Deserted Island Exam
Vol. 3 Chp. 3: Choosing A Leader
Vol. 3 Chp. 4: Class C's Camp
Vol. 3 Chp. 5: Class B's and A's Camps
Vol. 3 Chp. 6: A Walk
Vol. 3 Chp. 7: Trouble Abrews
Vol. 3 Chp. 9: A Break
Vol. 4 Chp. 1: End Of Peaceful Days
Vol. 4 Chp. 2: Cruise Ship Exam
Vol. 4 Chp. 3: Planning
Vol. 4 Chp. 4: Provoking Others
Vol. 4 Chp. 5: Headstrong
Vol. 4 Chp. 6: End Of Cruise Ship
Characters Class D Girls Vol. 1
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 1: Fortune Teller
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 2: Katsuragi's Girlfriend?
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 3: Katsuragi's Birthday
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 4: Summer Paradise
Vol. 5 Chp. 1: Sports Festival Announcement
Vol. 5 Chp. 2: Preparation
Vol. 5 Chp. 3: A New Beginning

Vol. 3 Chp. 8: End Of Island Exam

1K 58 13
By Weebooguy

'Bold': Sign language

As I looked at Horikita, who had completely lost consciousness, I took a deep breath. It had been a while since I had such a formidable opponent. If her physical condition had been good, the situation wouldn't have been so ridiculous, regardless of the winner. 

She was that strong. After a short while, I continued what I was doing and dug up the flashlight and transceiver wrapped in vinyl. However, I would have gotten by without using those if I could.

"What...?"

Right after I took out the two items buried in the ground, I was caught by a mysterious sensation. I didn't know the cause of it. It's just that, for some reason, I felt they were different compared to the last time I had buried them.

"Could it be... due to rain?"

Thinking that I was overthinking, I picked up the transceiver and reported my current location to someone waiting to be contacted from somewhere. I then sat down to rest. About 30 minutes later, suddenly, a flashlight started flashing in front of me. It flashed two times, then three times, with a well-regulated pattern like Morse code. 

I responded by doing the same with my flashlight near my feet. We communicated with each other, and his guiding light became more robust. Eventually, Ryuuen appeared before me with his irritating face, which I didn't want to see.

"Oi. Thank you for your hard work, Ibuki; it was a good performance."

"That was justified, right?"

"Justified? You knew you had to do it without making a mess, or you wouldn't have taken a risk coming here."

"There was no other way, right? I didn't think the digital camera would break."

That's right. If only the digital camera hadn't wrecked, I would have taken a photo of the key card, and everything would have ended there. I'd have a sure proof in my hands. I wouldn't even have called Ryuuen using the transceiver. However, as a result, I took a significant risk by carrying the card, which led Horikita to discover my true colors.

"So, where's the card?"

"It's here," I took the card from my pocket and handed it to Ryuuen. 

Ryuuen illuminated the card with the flashlight, confirming that the name carved on it was Horikita Suzune.

"You, come here to confirm it as well. You demanded it from the start. Be at ease. No one is supposed to be here in this weather and darkness. It's good to take precautions, but don't waste your time."

Katsuragi of Class A emerged from his hiding place. He was the calm and steady type, the complete opposite of our leader. Though I tried to remain calm, my mind couldn't help but dwell on Ryuuen's awfulness. Right from the start of the trial, Ryuuen had claimed that he would turn Class A against me, and he had indeed carried out his threat. But how was it even possible?

Katsuragi took Horikita's card from Ryuuen and examined it closely. It seemed impossible that it could have been forged on this uninhabited island.

"Looks like the real thing."

"Do you agree with this?"

Although it proved proof, Katsuragi didn't change his stern expression. I've heard he's a cautious guy, but being this careful is kind of a disease.

"You managed to infiltrate into Class D. Weren't you suspected?"

"Under normal circumstances, I would have been. But, how I managed to do it – that's a secret to be traded."

I unconsciously rubbed my cheek. When the espionage operation was launched on Class D, Ryuuen hit me to make my leave less fake. But the pain and the hatred behind it were all real. Naturally, I misunderstood that students in class D were also beaten and kicked out. Maybe I wouldn't have gotten in so smoothly if I hadn't been injured.

"Don't ponder about it forever. It's a black-and-white situation. Besides, you've already done half a thing for us. Don't be stupid and withdraw here."

"That's right."

Although he replied to this, it looked like they didn't reach consent. Perceiving this, Ryuuen smiled as if ready to attack his prey. 

Rather than getting annoyed, he whispered, "What would you do if this is not a worthy deed? Did you know that Sakayanagi's faction has overtaken yours and has the majority ever since the rumors spread about you failing to enter the student council after presenting yourself as a candidate? Here's your chance, right?"

"Son of a bitch... Why are you telling me this?"

"Class A holds its firm place by forming alliances. Even those who have betrayed you will come under your umbrella if that's the case. Or will I turn to an enemy? What will happen if that's true..."

It's not like Katsuragi signed a contract with the devil. He was negotiating. But that thought was naive. Once you discuss with the devil, it will lead to a mandatory blood contract.

"Sakayanagi is now absent. No one who can't make decisions here may rule Class A."

"We've concluded the negotiation as promised. I'll accept your proposal."

Having said this, Katsuragi stretched his arm to Ryuuen. Without an answer, Ryuuen boldly smiled.

"That's good. You've made a right judgment."

"But what's the negotiation about? Would you explain to me in detail?"

I didn't care what they did, but I had the right to know the details. After aiming for Class A, I had to decide if being connected with Ryuuen had been the right thing to do.

"To unite with Class A."

"Let me return. I don't want to arouse suspicion staying here longer than normal."

Katsuragi returned the card to me. Then he disappeared into the darkness.

"So, what about negotiation? What are the details? What's the compensation?"

Thunder roared from the sea right after thunderstorms filled the sky with shining white light. Without even being surprised, Ryuuen, with an eerie smile, told me the contract details. Those details weren't simple, but complicated. However, even with ordinary methods piling up troubles and achievements that were indeed difficult, there was the prime of a big reward.

Before the beginning of the trial, when most students were about to retire and thoroughly enjoy a holiday on a boat, a situation no one imagined had happened, and just about everything moved according to Ryuuen's aim. I wouldn't say I liked this guy's guts to the point I wanted him dead, but he was extremely close to Class A, after all. I confirmed this again.

"But... Is there a guarantee that Katsuragi will continue keeping the promise? Even on a wastepaper."

"Naturally, there's a cover for it. He has no choice but to keep it."

After wiping off my fingertips, I approached Horikita and grasped the keycard with her hand. There was nothing this girl could have done. She could have only stayed silent and endured, knowing Class C had found out about her leadership until the end of the trial.

I was sure about it after observing Class D for a week. This girl didn't trust anyone. Even after learning the key card had been stolen, she didn't inform her classmates. It looked like she had opened her heart to Kagurazaka only to isolate herself from that guy again.

In addition, if we added up her incompetence, she would be harmless.

Besides, if she had the keycard, the fact her leadership was found out due to her mistake might not have been leaked to Class D. I understood this girl's nature to a certain extent. Patient and stubborn. The type of person that doesn't listen to others' opinions. In other words, no matter how painful it is, she will endure it for the rest of her life.

"Use your smart head and protect yourself."

In the darkness, we quietly disappeared into the woods.

Kagurazaka's POV

I ran after Ibuki, kicking the wet ground behind me. The weather was a concern, as it could cause us to get stuck or get into an accident. It also worried that the sun would set soon, making it difficult to move forward without a flashlight. 

As the passing shower grew more robust, the wind blew violently. The visibility was poor due to the pouring rain, and it was hard to see more than a few meters ahead. However, the footprints of two people remained on the muddy ground, making it easy to follow them. 

Suddenly, the footprints vanished, but not because they were interrupted. Instead, they continued deeper into the forest. This suggested the path sharply changed, and the people intentionally headed into the forest. Using a flashlight, I followed the footprints and went into the forest. 

The visibility soon worsened, and it felt like it was already night. Despite the ominous atmosphere, I continued to push forward, relying solely on the footprints. 

About 30 meters in, I saw a bright light entering my field of vision.

Near a big tree, there was Horikita's figure, covered in mud, who lost consciousness and looked like she was dying.

A key card with no force left was dropped near her hand. On her injured body, traces of excavated soil.

I made my way over to Horikita and held her in my arms. She slowly opened her eyes, "Ka... gura... zaka-kun..."

"My head... hurts..." She muttered.

I rolled my eyes.

I was still concerned about Horikita since her fever was still rising.

"Do you think it will work?" She asked.

I nodded.

She closed her eyes, lamenting the situation. She was too injured.

"Thank you for letting me rely on you."

"Y-y-you're... w-w-welcome..." I struggled to form the words out.

She looked miserable, and she was coughing a little.

"You spoke..." She whispered.

Yeah, but it's too long since I talked.

"When I was losing consciousness, I felt like I heard Ryuuen's voice..."

That means Ryuuen was still on the island.

"Thank you for being my ally..." She trembled in my arms.

I don't know why she was apologizing to me.

"I've been a stubborn mess..."

Horikita had no strength to keep her eyes open. So her eyes, in the end, shut. Horikita had a faint grasp on my sleeve.

"I have a dream that my brother will recognize my dream to be in Class A."

Horikita wants recognition from her brother.

Caw caw

I looked into the trees and saw a crow.

Lead the way for me, Dusk.

Horikita used up all of her strength and lost consciousness again.

I followed Dusk as the rain came without mercy, hitting my body and robbing away my physical strength. The heat that came from Horikita on my back is not usual. It could be dangerous if she's exposed to the rain any longer.

But, deep in the forest, there were no caves or other man-made shelters that people could use, so there was no choice but to rely on the power of nature.

Fortunately, the trees here were overgrown; depending on the place, our bodies may stay relatively dry.

I looked around for big trees, then moved us right under them. Of course, it was better than being directly under the rain, for the rich foliage prevented a lot of rain.

I held Horikita against my body, giving her warmth. She was still trembling.

Horikita woke up, "You're too good to me..."

Horikita was going insane.

"Can you continue holding me? Your body is warm..." Horikita muttered.

I nodded.

"You're a good friend," Horikita muttered.

Horikita lost consciousness.

You're a good friend, too, Horikita.

The run slowed, so I lifted Horikita and returned to Class D's camp.

"You returned," Matsushita greeted me.

'Can you take her?'

Matsushita nodded.

We will be losing ten more points for missing the roll call.

S-points=194-10=184

~Timeskip~

It was around 4 a.m., and I was awake.

"Silent-kun," I glanced back to see Kouenji grinning.

He tossed something to me, and I caught it, "Don't forget to pay me."

~Timeskip~

August 7th. At last, our never-ending short life on the uninhabited island was reaching its end. Was our minimal salvation in the fact that we spent our time having modest fun in this cruel survival?

There was still no sight of Mashima-sensei and others when noon arrived. It was time to end.

"I'll announce a tally of the trial's result. Please wait for a moment. Due to the trial being over, we kindly ask people wanting to use toilets or drink to use the rest spot."

With this announcement, the students gathered in the rest spot in unison. Among others, there were tables and chairs prepared under the temporary tent, and it seemed as if you could take plenty of rest. There was no sign that the retired students were waiting on the cruise ship.

Horikita leaned against my shoulder, looking weak and failed. Nobody attempted to bother her.

"Good job, both of you. Thank you for everything this week. You saved us."

I had Hirata explain to the class last night that Ibuki was a spy and Horikita would confront her.

Having said words of gratitude, Hirata appeared. He handed me one of the two paper cups he had. A cold sensation crossed my palm when I grabbed it with my hand. He handed Horikita the other one.

Due to most of Class C's students retiring during the roll call of the second day, no one was left in this spot. I couldn't find Ibuki anywhere on the sandy beach, as if she had also retired. Only the bizarre sight of Ryuuen was ahead of us.

"Why is he... Why only Ryuuen hasn't retired?"

When Hirata and I peeped from a distance, he turned his head in our direction as if being aware of our gazes. He then slowly moved closer as if thinking something. Tension arose in the air.

"Oh, Suzune, you don't look so hot," Ryuuen mocked.

Ignoring Hirata's presence, Ryuuen came closer with a paper cup.

Horikita gave him a weak glare.

Having drained its content, Ryuuen lightly crushed the paper cup and threw it at my feet.

"Throw that thing for me."

I raised an eyebrow as I didn't move from my spot.

"I'll throw the garbage away," Hirata said, picking up the garbage.

He had dirt all over his upper body, and his pants and jersey were also dirt-filled. I didn't think he had given up on his efforts.

The squeaky sound of the speaker's switch-on enveloped the beach, and Mashima-sensei appears. The first years hurried to form a line, but Mr Mashima stopped them with a sign of his hands.

"You may relax now. The exam has already finished. Now, this part is our summer vacation. It is alright to act more freely."

Even so, the students were still naturally tense, and their chatter disappeared instantly.

"This past week, We, the teachers, were able to keep an eye on your efforts in the special examination. Some students took this exam directly up front, and those used their scheming abilities for this exam. Various things happened, but I think the test results were splendid overall. We appreciate your hard work."

The students felt relieved hearing the praise from Mr Mashima. Finally, we started feeling like we had finished this one-week exam.

"Well, without further ado, I would like to announce the final result of the special exam."

Perhaps no one, including our homeroom teacher, had seen through the results of this test.

"We will not accept any questions or inquiries about the test results. You should accept the outcome of the exam, and then we would like you to analyze them and use them to help you with the next exam."

"Well, now we will announce the ranking of the special exam. Class C... was disqualified for using violence and theft."

Ryuuen didn't seem to understand the situation; he was instead in shock. Mashima-sensei stiffened, but he continued with the announcement.

"Subsequently, Class A has been disqualified for theft. Second place is Class B with 240 points."

A commotion broke out. They were rankings and points that no one had expected.

I wondered if it was because they couldn't hide their embarrassment about their mistake on the numbers they calculated.

"And Class D..."

"They got first place with 284 points. This concludes the announcement of the test results."

The students of Class D were the most excited about getting first.

"What is the meaning of this, Katsuragi?"

From the other side of the rest area, voices echoed as the students of Class A encircled Katsuragi.

"Something is wrong... What do they mean with these results?"

"Yahoo! We did it! This serves you right!"

Along with Sudou's screams, all students of Class D gathered together at once.

The exam was over, and the first-year students scattered around. Two hours later, when the ship seemed ready to depart, we played in the sea. We took our time to get on board feeling relaxed. I also began to walk, boarding the ship.

Class A - 1034 (0)

Class B - 1062 (+240)

Class C - 611 (0)

Class D - 504 (+284)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.5K 672 56
READ VOLUME 1 TO VOLUME 4.5! SORRY, THAT IT'S SEPERATED INTO DIFFERENT BOOKS! Welcome to the School Full of Elite Students! Ryuen has begun starting...
8.8K 384 3
After a sudden confession from someone throws a wrench in his plans, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka suddenly finds himself caught in the middle of a crossfire b...
90K 4K 46
[ 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐈𝐈 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 '𝐀𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐋𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐌𝐞' ] ‼ 𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝 '𝐀𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐋𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐌𝐞 (𝐂𝐨𝐓𝐄 𝐱 𝐎𝐂)...
2.2K 60 4
A Classroom of the Elite story which follows Kiyotaka Ayanokouji as he navigates through his not peaceful life, along side his love(?) Arisu Sakayana...