COTE: A Mute Guy

By Weebooguy

Kagurazaka Norogumi is a unique student who is slightly different from the others. Is he mentally and physica... More

Vol. 1 Chp. 1: A Different Student
Vol. 1 Chp. 2: Club Fair
Vol. 1 Chp. 3: Life As A Student
Vol. 1 Chp. 4: Called To The Office
Vol. 1 Chp. 5: Study Group Failure
Vol. 1 Chp. 6: Group Of Failures
Vol. 1 Chp. 7: Midterm
Vol. 2 Chp. 1: Bad News
Vol. 2 Chp. 2: Finding A Witness
Vol. 2 Chp. 3: Unexpected Witness
Vol. 2 Chp. 4: Confession
Vol. 2 Chp. 5: A Second Identity
Vol. 2 Chp. 6: Sudou's Trial
Vol. 2 Chp. 7: Trial Of Truth And Lies
Vol. 3 Chp. 1: This Isn't A Vacation
Vol. 3 Chp. 2: Deserted Island Exam
Vol. 3 Chp. 3: Choosing A Leader
Vol. 3 Chp. 4: Class C's Camp
Vol. 3 Chp. 6: A Walk
Vol. 3 Chp. 7: Trouble Abrews
Vol. 3 Chp. 8: End Of Island Exam
Vol. 3 Chp. 9: A Break
Vol. 4 Chp. 1: End Of Peaceful Days
Vol. 4 Chp. 2: Cruise Ship Exam
Vol. 4 Chp. 3: Planning
Vol. 4 Chp. 4: Provoking Others
Vol. 4 Chp. 5: Headstrong
Vol. 4 Chp. 6: End Of Cruise Ship
Characters Class D Girls Vol. 1
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 1: Fortune Teller
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 2: Katsuragi's Girlfriend?
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 3: Katsuragi's Birthday
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 4: Summer Paradise
Vol. 5 Chp. 1: Sports Festival Announcement
Vol. 5 Chp. 2: Preparation

Vol. 3 Chp. 5: Class B's and A's Camps

595 39 3
By Weebooguy

'Bold': Sign language

Having decided to check Class A and B situations to use our spare time effectively, we went into the forest from the root of a broken big tree, as Kanzaki told us.

The moment we walked into the deep forest, we noticed some change. It was easy to walk through since there were traces of many students beating the path. By simply following the trail, we reached the Class B campsite.

Soon after, we reached the Class B campsite.

"I wonder if it will look like one would expect of Class B..."

Upon arriving at the campsite, I was struck by how different it was from what I was used to in Class D. The location was not ideal, lacking space to pitch 3 or 4 tents for our group of 8. However, they found a solution, which was to use hammocks instead. 

Seeing how we started the same way was interesting, but our gear and equipment vastly differed. One device, in particular, near the well caught my attention, but the unique atmosphere of the Class B camp truly surprised me.

"Huh? Horikita-san? And Kagurazaka-kun?"

As if sensing the presence of sudden visitors, a girl tying a string to attach a hammock to a tree turned her head toward us and called out. A figure in jersey resembled a lot of Ichinose. A little far away was Kanzaki.

"The class is functioning surprisingly well. Although you are facing many hardships with your base."

"Ahaha. It was hard at first. But I tried figuring out various ways, and I've made it work. Although there's still plenty of work to be done," Ichinose said, smiling while finishing tying the rope tightly.

"Then I assume it's wrong to be in your way."

"I'm sorry. I guess that has become a way of leave-taking. It's okay to take a break. I wonder if you came to visit to ask me something."

Without detest, Ichinose encouraged us to sit on the hammock, but Horikita refused her offer.

I didn't decline the offer as I sat down. Ichinose sat down beside me.

"I wonder if it's okay to think we're more or less in a cooperative relationship since the last time."

"At least I think that way."

"Well, how many points did you use so far? On what did you use points? And if you could tell us the rating of your tools, we'd be saved. We'd tell some information as well, of course."

 Ichinose smiled and took out the manual from her bag. While showing that they had a list of what they bought on a blank paper, she read it aloud: "Hammock, cookware, small tent, lantern, and provisional toilet. Fishing rod and water shower... If we combine it with food, it's a total of 70 points."

'Water shower?'

"Well then, let's explain the situation gradually, shall we? Since various places contain fruits and vegetables in the woods, we substitute shortage with points while searching for supplies. Then we went to the sea and caught some fish too. That's what we eat. We're not worried about water since we have a well."

Did Class B obtain this place because Kushida and others found several fruits? Even judging by the word "vegetable," should we consider it their fruit of labor compared to Class D?

Ichinose took us to the front of the well, moved a pulley, and scooped up the water with a wooden bucket.

"At first, there was a danger of water being polluted, so I was worried if we should drink it, but looking at the cultivated food and surrounding environment, I concluded the well was well-managed. For caution's sake, I only tried drinking it yesterday. I waited some time, but I didn't get diarrhea. From this morning, everyone's sharing and using well's water."

Ichinose continued, "I also figured the amount of water is abundant. It'd be enough even to use it for the shower. This is a water shower."

It was the prominent machine placed next to the well.

"I can make hot water when I put water in this tank in a few seconds. It's convenient. I'm using it now since the heat source from the gas can be removed. If it runs out, I ask for supplementation."

Horikita asked Ichinose, who somewhat mockingly explained using the unexpected tool as something ordinary, "Did you know about this water shower?"

"No. I've just heard about it and used it for the first time. The school rules are pretty scary, aren't they? There aren't any details in the manual. You can't ask teachers detailed questions either. We were saved because a kid in our class is familiar with outdoor activities."

A single-button-press tent was set with a simple toilet near the water shower. There was nothing inside.

"We're using this instead of a shower room so that kids who hate being seen by others while taking a shower can use it. The fabric is also waterproof."

So that's why it's empty. It makes sense since the ground inside the tent is wet.

"You don't have trouble with the hard ground when you go to sleep?"

"Ah-yes. I thought of what to do first, but I took appropriate measures. Want to see?"

After receiving objections from the babbling girls inside, Ichinose lifted a little under the tent.

Under the tent is spread a thick vinyl, which thickness is about 2 cm.

"When we paid with our points for a simple toilet, it was a rule that the usage of vinyl was unlimited. Maybe I used too much, but we had it already in large quantities. Of course, I do not want to waste our resources, so I plan to use a lot of our unused vinyl at once. I intend to return it all in the end."

'Can we have the extra vinyl?'

"Sure, there are boxes over there filled with them," Ichinose beamed, pointing in a direction.

I made my way over to the direction that Ichinose pointed. I saw Shiranami sitting on a hammock and staring into the distance.

A waved a hand in her face.

She was startled, "Oh, Kagurazaka-kun! Sorry, I wasn't paying attention..." She mutters before she goes back to staring.

I followed her eyes as I noticed that she was looking at Ichinose.

I spotted the boxes and reached for them when my vision was covered.

"Can you see?" A feminine voice asked.

I shook my head.

I removed the hands that were covering my eyes and turned around. A girl with purple hair tied in a ponytail had a sly smirk, "Well, do you come here often?"

"Oh, hey Kagurazaka-kun. I didn't know you were coming here today!" Andou and Minamikata walked up to us.

"Eh? Sayo-san, do you know him?" The purple-haired girl asked.

"Yeah," Andou said.

The girl turned to me, "Well, I'm Amikura Mako, and it's nice to meet you!"

"Are you enjoying holding a cute girl's hands?" Amikura smirked.

I let go of Amikura's wrists as I looked at Andou and Minamikata with a deadpan expression.

I want to grab the boxes of vinyl, but I'm being stopped.

"You're a quiet guy."

"He's mute, Mako-san," Minamikata said.

"Oh, I see!" Amikura said.

"Kagaruazaka-kun, can you help us out with carrying our supplies?" Andou asked.

I shook my head.

"Hey, we need help from a strong man. Oh, it looks like a found one," Andou shamelessly said.

I didn't think I would get out of this, so I decided to help the girls carry their supplies. After finishing up, I was able to get the boxes of vinyl.

I made my way back over to Horikita and Ichinose, and there was a male student who seemed to walk away from them.

Horikita looked curious, "It seems he is quite formal when talking to his classmates."

"Ah, he..."

"Is he a Class C student?" Horikita asked.

Ichinose nodded.

"Did you notice? He seems to be faithful to C class. He said we'd better leave him alone, but I did not want to let him go. I have not heard what caused his situation because I do not want to discuss it."

"We also picked up a student who escaped Class C yesterday."

Horikita speaks as she met Ryuuen a little while ago and has heard the details. This student seems to be one of the two who rebelled against Ryuuen. Ibuki is the other one, and it appears that she was also beaten.

After hearing all this, Ichinose's glare hardened as a determination to protect her team further.

I set the boxes down.

'Ichinose, listen to me carefully. Do not trust him.'

"But we can't let someone go out alone."

'I understand you're a sweet girl, but you're being naive.'

I picked up the boxes and left Class B's campsite with Horikita. I couldn't use sign language since my hands were full.

"We will return to our camp before heading to Class A's camp."

~Timeskip~

After dropping the boxes off, Horikita and I went to Class A's camp.

When we came out from the deep forest, a cave showed its appearance of what looked like a demon opening its mouth. There were two provisional toilets and one shower room near the cave.

"I can't see what's inside from here..."

While maintaining a safe distance from them, Horikita and I found gathering information about the students in Class A nearly impossible. I knew Sakayanagi and Kamuro, but Sakayanagi wasn't here as Kamuro wouldn't give away information.

'Come on, let's go check it out. We aren't going to get much if we stay hidden.'

Horikita nodded.

We both came out of the hiding spot.

"Isn't it too quiet? What do you think?"

'It bothers me.'

Naturally, we were seen by Class A students who were nearby when we arrived at the cave entrance. Although I expected I could check the situation to a certain extent if I could see the cave's interior directly...

A huge blindfold connecting the vinyl was spread out, so I couldn't see anything inside.

"Who are you? From which class are you coming?" 

This guy was, for sure... Yahiko was one of the two people who found the cave promptly on the first day. The other bright one – Katsuragi – seemed to be absent.

"We came to snoop around. Do you have problems with that?" Horikita's response was imposing.

She continued, "Now that you revealed yourself as A class, no doubt you're leading a tough life..."

She sighed when she saw the entrance of the vinyl-covered cage.

"Rather than being tough, it's a makeshift. A coward method, right."

"What?" Yahiko clapped back with an irritated tone as if she got on his nerves, although it was an easy-to-understand provocation.

"I'm Horikita from Class D."

"Huh, I'd say myself, you're Class D. You're a bunch of weak-headed."

"Weak-headed... Right. Therefore, there won't be any particular impact even if you show us what's inside, right? Or does it put you in an uncomfortable position by us just being able to see inside?"

"It could be the case!"

"So it's not a problem if you show us inside? Sorry for bothering you."

"Wa-wait! Hey! Wait! Don't do things as you please!"

Yahiko cut in so he could stand in Horikita's way, but then Horikita's words jumped in like a knife, "I'll just look inside. That won't be a rule violation itself, right?"

"Stop playing around; this is occupied by Class A! Class D has no permission to use it!"

"Really? Did you occupy this place? I didn't know that. Is the device inside?"

"Y-yes. Therefore, step back!"

"No rules say you can't go inside the cave without problems. You can't use the cave while occupied, but it's different from monopolization. We should also have the right to check out the inside of the device, right? Otherwise, we'd be able to monopolize all stops forcibly. That's not what the trial is about."

"Huh...!?" A sharp argument like this had stabbed Yahiko without problems.

Horikita tried to tear off the veil of the cave hidden in vinyl.

"What are you doing? I don't remember approving to call guests."

A large-statured boy passed me from behind and continued walking toward Horikita. Indeed, his name was...

"Katsuragi-san! Those guys came to snoop around our crib! They are a filthy bunch."

"You're exaggerating stuff; it's just vinyl. Show me just a little bit inside."

Viewing back, Horikita wasn't even a bit frightened of confronting those guys.

"Then it should be okay to take a look inside. But be prepared. If you touch things even once, I'll notify the school of your actions as an obstructive act toward another class. I can't be sure what will happen to Class D then."

Katsuragi's words were probably a bluff. It was unlikely to be disqualified from touching vinyl. And yet, him saying he'll sue us invoked the slightest danger.

"I've also explained to him but this is an overbearing monopoly act. It isn't a right protected by rules."

"No doubt that's right. That point is certain. But I think this is like an implicit rule. You guys from Class D have a spot near the river. Class B  has a well. I'm occupying the land, so that is monopolized partly. Have you used force on someone trespassing on your land?"

Katsuragi's calm and hefty words stopped Horikita's legs without prevention.

"One class holds one occupied spot. And they keep protecting it while obtaining points until the end of the test. If you break this implicit rule, havoc will happen. Of course, A class will step into the D class' base camp as a retribution. Troubles should be avoided."

It was possible to ignore these words, but we couldn't. As Katsuragi was saying, the other classes unconsciously seized a spot forcefully as well. Troubles could arise with breaking that rule. Horikita turned around and passed by Katsuragi while going away from the entrance of the cave.

"Well then. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of Class A's ability."

"It's mighty. We as well anticipate Class D's useless resistance."

"Yahiko, don't jump on cheap provocations. It is her goal to steal a glance of the inside forcefully. The other side goes down if you thrust your dominance and righteousness in their face."

"S-sorry."

So, they managed to put Horikita, who instantly settled for retreat, out of the way.

"It seems there is no other option besides leaving Class A alone. It's impossible to investigate."

They built up impregnable defenses once the exclusive spot of the cave was seized. However, no matter how much they tried to hide the interior, we could figure out it was something profitable.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6K 446 40
READ VOLUME 1 TO VOLUME 4.5! SORRY, THAT IT's SEPERATED INTO DIFFERENT BOOKS! Ryuen has begun starting his attacks against Class C- slowly but surely...
26K 888 6
I'll try and make ayanokouji act like he does in LN and will change a bit of the story such as the manabu confrontation and sudo case and all because...
210 7 1
A Classroom of the Elite story which follows Kiyotaka Ayanokouji as he navigates through his not peaceful life, along side his one true love: Arisu S...
8K 416 7
During the Entrance Ceremony in the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing Highschool gymnasium, a massive spell of light appeared throughout the gymn...