The Queen of Aramdeau

By K_B_Fletcher

Daniela becomes engaged to the King of Aramdeau, but will it be enough to preserve the peace between their co... More

Chapter 1: Charles, King of Aramdeau
Chapter 2: Daniela of Brasador
Chapter 3: Kernwith Abbey
Chapter 4: Charles' Decade
Chapter 5: Ternhaligon Castle
Chapter 6: The Dowager Queen
Chapter 7: A Ride in the Forest
Chapter 8: In the Sight and Care
Chapter 9: The Town of Greenholde
Chapter 10: Tournament
Chapter 11: Departures
Chapter 12: Write to Me
Chapter 13: Customs and Gifts
Chapter 14: Queen Regent
Chapter 15: Your Impatient Husband
Chapter 16: A Small Deception
Chapter 17: On the Northwestern Coast
Chapter 18: A Letter from Home
Chapter 19: Rest
Chapter 20: The Eastern Border
Author's Note and Thank You

Chapter 21: A Day in Winter

37 2 10
By K_B_Fletcher

Brasador did not attempt another attack. For a while there was some concern that King Solanio would retaliate and take revenge for the death of his son, but he did not. Some people speculated that he did not care enough for his son to bother. After all, Frederico had gone to war against his wishes. However, there were whispers that the opposite was true; that he fell into so great a despair that he had not the strength for revenge.

There was the question of his succession. For now, Daniela was the heir apparent to the Brasadoran throne. But she was sure that would change soon. Her father could easily name some distant relation as heir, or perhaps he even had an illegitimate child somewhere. It was no concern of Daniela's; she had never coveted her brother's place.

The successor of the Northwest Duchy was also under discussion. Duke Leo Pearson would hang; there was no escape for him under Aram law. His father, Lazarus Pearson, slowly recovered his health. The popular rumor was that Leo had been poisoning his father to take over the dukedom, but Lazarus refused any sort of investigation. His son would already pay for his crimes with his life; there was nothing more that could come of it.

Even though he regained his health, Lazarus Pearson refused to take up the mantle of Duke. Some said that he joined a monastery; others said that he just wandered from town to town. After weeks of deliberation, Charles and the council decided that there was no suitable individual to inherit the title. Instead, the Northwest Duchy would be divided among nobles with any prior claims on the land. As an unintended consequence, a small estate once claimed by Nicole's ancestors was passed to her.

Lynette fared better than Leo. Because she had cooperated in the end, she did not hang, and would likely not be imprisoned for her entire life. But it would be many years before her release was even considered. As a small kindness to her parents, who had also cooperated, she was moved to a prison closer to where they lived, so they could visit her freely.

Six months after the conflict with Brasador, a small wedding was held in a little chapel to the south of Ternhaligon Castle. Daniela walked up the aisle with Charles and sat in the first pew. They turned around and watched Nicole and Thomas walk up the aisle arm in arm and kneel before the priest. Nicole was beaming, and Thomas could not stop turning to look at her, even when they were supposed to keep their heads down.

"In the sight and care of the Lord, we meet to join Nicole Berlwynn and Thomas Phillips in blessed matrimony. Today we remember the gifts of the Lord God." The priest opened his bible and began to read.

"The Lord gave the people thirst, but he also gave us rain. The Lord gave the people hunger, but he also gave us food. The Lord gave us troubles, but he also gave us those who would bear those burdens with us. The Lord gave us Strife, but he also gave us Love."

The passage was short and sweet.

"Remember these words as you venture into life together. For each other, you will bear burdens and overcome troubles. For each other, you will Love and overcome Strife." The priest smiled at the kneeling couple. "Will you both, under the watchful eye of our Lord the Creator, be bound by marriage and love through all things?"

"I will," Thomas and Nicole said eagerly, accidentally speaking in unison. The small party of guests laughed cheerfully.

"Please rise and exchange your final vow."

Thomas gave Nicole a hand up, and continued holding her hands as they made their vows. "In the sight and care of the Lord, I thee wed."

"In the sight and care of the Lord, I thee wed." Nicole did not wait for any sign from the priest, and kissed her new husband as their friends cheered and clapped.

After only a few months as the Lady of a small district in the north, Nicole gave up her title and rank as a noble to marry Thomas. She didn't even bother to visit. There was probably some distant cousin out there who might snatch it up, but she didn't care. Before being sent with Daniela's message to the troops in the north, Thomas had returned Nicole's affections, and Nicole decided at that moment that when he made it back, she would give up anything to be with him.

She would have to give up being Daniela's lady-in-waiting, but Thomas was granted a fine cottage close to the castle for them to live in. Nicole was welcome to visit the castle as she liked, and Daniela and Charles would likewise make many visits to see their dear friends.

Daniela and Charles hurried down the aisle to follow the newlyweds out into the cold air. Daniela reached out her hand and caught fluffy snowflakes. A spring wedding in the country would have been lovely, but Nicole and Thomas were much too excited to wait.

The happy band walked along a short snowy path to the Lansing residence, where the Baron had agreed to lend his home for the festivities. There was no dancing and hired entertainment, just friends and family eating, drinking, and making merry to keep warm in an icy winter.

Daniela and Charles sat together to the side of the room, watching Nicole and Thomas laugh and talk with guests.

Daniela leaned over. "They will be very happy together, don't you think?"

"Yes, indeed." Charles smiled gladly. "And I can think of no better friends to deserve such happiness."

"Of that I am certain."

"It will be a loud marriage, though," Charles said cheekily. "I think we shall be able to hear their laughter at all hours of the day and night, all the way up at the castle."

Daniela laughed. "Yes, I suppose you're right."

"I hope Lady Marie and Lady Paulina have already started coming up with more things to talk about, since they will have to make up for Nicole's absence."

"Oh, come now, she is not so talkative that we will have nothing to say to one another without her." Daniela looped her arm into Charles'. "Besides, you and I have been so often together that I hardly get a chance to speak with any of them."

"Is that so? If that's really how you feel, we can certainly go back to how things were and speak only at official events."

"Don't even tease that! I would not turn things back for the world."

"Nor I." Charles kissed the top of her head.

Nicole flew over and sat beside Daniela.

"Nicole, I congratulate you!" Charles said.

Daniela squeezed Nicole's hand. "Yes, we are so happy for you."

"Thank you, Your Majesties. Thank you, Dani. Haven't I made an excellent match?"

"Yes, I'm afraid Tom is your problem now!" Charles said with a smile.

Nicole laughed, then got a curious grin on her face and raised her eyebrows at Daniela. She said to Charles, "Say, Your Majesty, does not my lady's face seem more full as of late?"

"Hmm? What do you mean? I think my queen looks quite well. I see no change."

Daniela gave Nicole a look, but she would not stop.

"And Her Majesty has been fatigued lately." Nicole pressed her lips together to contain a laugh.

Charles looked at Daniela in concern. "That is true, and you were unwell the other day."

"Nicole, please, do not tease him." Daniela appealed with her eyes.

"Tease the king?" Thomas walked over to join them, resting a hand on Nicole's shoulder. "My lovely wife? Why, she wouldn't dare!"

"Indeed I would not!" Nicole agreed. "I am merely describing to our king... a pattern of... attributes. Such that one might notice... in the queen." With each pause, she looked meaningfully at Charles, who just looked confused.

Charles looked at Daniela, and she could see him slowly piece the clues together.

"Are you... Does she mean... Are you..."

Daniela nodded and smiled, and said quietly, "Yes, I am expecting a child."

Charles gaped in surprise and suddenly hugged Daniela, then pulled away to say something. Finding he had no words, he just hugged her tightly again.

Thomas laughed loudly. "Congratulations, sir!"

Charles stood up and shook Thomas' hand firmly, then turned back to Daniela and held her hands. She stood and kissed him.

"This is wonderful news!" Thomas faced away toward the rest of the room.

"No, wait!" Daniela stopped him. "Keep your voice down, please, I do not want everyone to know."

"Whyever not, my lady?" Thomas asked. All the people of Aramdeau will be delighted at the news! That council of yours will be especially thrilled."

"It is not the people's baby, and it is certainly not the council's baby." Daniela leaned into Charles' side.

"Very well, my lady. Your secret is safe with us. My wife and I will not tell a soul."

It wasn't worth pointing out that Nicole just had revealed the secret to two people against her express wishes. Daniela was far too blissful to mind. The newlyweds bowed and left Daniela and Charles to be alone.

They sat back down and Daniela rested her head on Charles' shoulder. Charles held Daniela's hand and fiddled with the ring she wore, spinning it slowly around and around her finger.

"I was going to tell you soon, I was just waiting until after their wedding," she said.

Charles kissed the ring on her hand.

"Are you happy?" Daniela asked.

"Yes, very." Charles leaned his head on hers. "I did not know it was possible to be any happier than I already was."

Daniela raised her head to kiss Charles. He drew his hand along her chin and kissed her back, deeply.

They had been bound together by duty, but now loved one another as freely and as well as any couple that had married for love. Their child would not be an heir produced out of necessity, or a clause in a treaty, but a happy addition to a young family. Charles hoped to be half of what his father had been for him. Daniela's parents may not have shown her the love a child deserves, but she looked to those in her life who had—the Reverend Mother, Queen Imelda, Nicole, all her friends, and Charles—to be her guides.

On their wedding day, they had vowed to love through all things; through good and through Strife. It had felt dishonest at the time, but now Daniela knew that it was a vow she would always keep. There would surely be more obstacles ahead, but King Charles and Queen Daniela of Aramdeau would face them together.

The End.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18K 469 18
EDITING THE NOVEL, MAY 2023 - Everything will be back up soon! ------------- He stops touching me and quietly watches my stern face before speaking...
3.4K 504 57
{Warning: Do not copy this work in any condition, no matter how much it tempts you. Plagiarism is a heinous crime, and your account will suffer badly...
99K 3.2K 40
The young princess Isabelle, oldest of the royal family, discovers that her life is about to overturn. Being crowned Queen, following the death of he...
42.3K 2.9K 34
2023 December Book of the Month @CupidOnTour @WattpadSeries General Fiction Feature JUNE 2023 @HistoricalFiction 'Rise of Civilization' Reading List...