That time I failed as an Auth...

By elite3532

Elite3532, an individual who can be considered as an icon among the Tensura fandom community failed in accomp... More

Prologue: An pitiful end
Chapter 1: A fresh start
Chapter 2: Unexpected early surprise
Chapter 3: Birthday
Chapter4: Years later
Chapter 5: A year of training
Chapter 6: Partner
Chapter 7: Moving forward
Chapter 8: Departure
Chapter 9: Destined fate
Chapter 10: Academy prelude
Chapter 11: A good first day
Chapter 12: Proving yourself
Chapter 13: Superiority
Chapter 14: String of fate
Chapter 15: Lara Arceid
Chapter 16: Nightmare
Chapter 17: Prelude to disaster
Chapter 18: An early goodbye
Chapter 19: Loss and rebirth
Chapter 20: Arceid's will
Chapter 21: Leap of fate
Chapter 22: New resolution, new era
Chapter 23: 20 Years later
Chapter 24: Cursed by Loneliness
Chapter 25: A request from Elmesia
Chapter 26: Moonlight
Chapter 27: Odd dungeon
Chapter 28: Far away to another continent
Chapter 29: Sorrow and Guilt
Chapter 30: Fated disaster/Moving on
Chapter 31: Conclusion of an Era
Chapter 32: Reaching the Sky
Chapter 33: Ace of God
Chapter 34: Conqueror of Flame, Shizue Izawa
Chapter 35: Prisoner of ourself
Chapter 36: Orc invasion/Trust?
Chapter 37: Lost control
Chapter 38: Author and Character
Chapter 39: Understanding/Hinata vs Rimuru
Chapter 40: Falmuth war
Chapter 42: Walpurgis Prelude
Chapter 43: Demon lords/Walpurgis
Chapter 44: Demon lords's demise
Character Profile [1]
Chapter 45: False God? Chaos through Ruberios
Chapter 46: End of Crisis
Chapter 47: Hero and Schemes
Chapter 48: The demon lord, the saint and the hunter
Chapter 49: A fruitful evening

Chapter 41: Demon lord Rimuru/A tale sourcing from the regrets of the past

1K 50 32
By elite3532

3rd Pov

Overwhelming the surrounding with his presence, Rimuru just finalized his evolution into a true demon lord.

Sitting on the throne placed by his subordinate, his slime body shone brightly taking human form...a slightly more grown version of the previous Rimuru.

VOTW : (Notice : Everyone connected to individual : Rimuru Tempest will now receive « Gift »)

Upon the announcement, all those connected to Rimuru via soul corridors collapsed...feeling their connection to their lord deepening.

The only ones who stayed awake were Benimaru and Noir...who struggled to fall upon their knees.

Noir : (Kufufu, to think I shall receive a gift from my lord despite not being named...what a bliss...)

Noir was a special case, it seems over the 2 years he passed here in Tempest, his fascination with Rimuru allowed them to form a semi-soul corridor, similar to the one Dawn used to share his magicule back then.

Benimaru : (Shit...my consciousness is being swiped away, I need to stay awake to protect Rimuru-sama...)

Trying their best to stay awake, Rimuru's body then stopped to shine...the humanoid formed fully recovered.

Standing up slowly, clothes with the white rag Shuna had given him while he was still in his evolutionary sleep.

Rimuru opened his eyes revealing a pair of crimson pupils...

Benimaru : R-Rimuru-sama ?

Noir : (It doesn't seem like my lord...but something very similar...)

Raphael : Notice : You two did well, now rest.

Like an order coming from heaven, both Noir and Benimaru nodded and let themself fall asleep...the voice was robotic and nothing like how Rimuru would express himself.

A cold yet feminine voice belonging to the ultimate skill : Raphael...

Mjurran : I-is that really Rimuru-sama ?

Grucius : I don't know...but he doesn't act like himself if that is the case...

Watching him every moment, Mjurran felt like she shouldn't try to stop this Rimuru...

Suddenly, two presence appeared behind her, she felt a chill running down her spine before taking guard.

Mjurran : Who are you...

Grucius : Huh ?

Turning around, the beastman felt the danger behind the newcomer, more particularly the white haired demon.

Blanc : What a beautiful sight...to think a slime would be this strong.

Dawn : We came in a bit late, huh...

Looking around, Dawn noticed Raphael raising her arm...the magicule Rimuru's body was releasing was intense, enough to burn people who came too close.

Dawn : (Everything is still good, just in case i'll keep [Eyes of fate] active from now on...i might overload my brain for a few days but it's necessary.)

Raphael : In the name of Raphael, I order you Belzebuth...absorb all the magicule in the area, leave not even a single bit behind.

Her voice was command, the Ultimate skill : Belzeebuth reacted almost instantly...a mass of darkness appeared in front of Raphael.

The elected barrier to protect the city shattered, the souls of the dead were forced toward the center...soon enough, as ordered not a single magicule was left in the area.

Blanc : Fascinating...

That was all Blanc could say, the sight was godly...she understood why Noir would be here, why someone like Dawn who appeared to be so much stronger held a slime in high respect.

Blanc : (Serving him, huh...this is not a bad idea at all.)

Her wide smirk said everything, deep inside her heart she realized how marvelous that slime was.

Grucius : That's absurd...

Mjurran : The power of a demon lord...

After gathering the souls of everyone, Raphael placed them above their respective body...holding her arm up her gaze turned toward the deceased Shion.

Raphael : I will now start the secret art of Resurrection.

The souls glowing, an enormous amount of magicule escaped Rimuru's body to use this art.

Normally, he shouldn't have enough even after evolution but since he received more souls and was overall stronger than the original.

Rimuru's power alone was enough to activate the art...

Mjurran : No way...that's really the secret art of resurrection...

Grucius : Not even lord Carrion...would be capable of that..;and that's just a newly born demon lord ?!

Shock could be seen on his face, as the resurrection process kept going...the bodies of the dead regenerated their injuries, their souls slowly entered their body.

Evolution gifts were also transmitted, all happened without problem...the sun slowly rose upon Tempest just after he finished.

Raphael : Operation successful, sleep mode will not be enabled.

The crimson turning back to gold, Rimuru closed his eyes before falling back...returning to his slime form, a ice throne formed before he could touch the ground.

Dawn : You did well, now rest.

Approaching the throne, everything went well...his worry seemed to be just him being paranoid.

Smiling, he looked up at the rising sun...the dead slowly opening their eyes...

A few days then passed, Rimuru finally woke up from magicule exhaustion...the sight of two huge mountains before him.

An imaginary smile crawled on his slime body as he realized everything went well...the one carrying him on her lap being Shion.

She looked down, noticing the slime move...

Shion : Rimuru-sama ! You finally woke up !

Rimuru : Ahh...I missed this, welcome back Shion.

Looking frontward, all his friends, those who died or those who fought...all were here smiling.

Soon this short reunion turned into a big celebration...winning the war, successfully resurrecting everyone, evolving into a True demon lord...this series of victories were worth the celebration.

While drinking and chatting, Rimuru noticed Noir and Blanc approaching...he slowly patted Ranga while staring at them.

They seemed to know each other...

Noir : Rimuru-sama, as expected not only did you successfully become a demon lord but also showed Blanc your greatness.

Rimuru : Eh ? Blanc ?

Turning his eyes toward the white haired lady, the primordial Blanc smiled and bowed her head.

Blanc : It's a pleasure to see you awake, my lord, please allow this demon to serve you too.

Her hand on her chest, Blanc showed a rare interest and sincerity which startled Noir...he didn't expect to see the prideful Blanc to act like that upfront.

Rimuru : I-yeah sure...(Blanc...so she is another primordial demon like Noir...isn't that bad?)

Yet he couldn't help but blush at the sight of the beautiful lady that Blanc is, her long white hair was sublimed by her white dress.

Rimuru : Now that I think...isn't that the perfect time to give you two a name ? (Is it possible? Great sage?)

Raphael : (Notice : Unique skill great sage had evolved into Ultimate skill : Lord of Wisdom Raphael, as for master's first question yes naming the individual Noir and Blanc is possible with master current magicule reserve.)

Rimuru : (Oh...you evolved, huh, also you sound more emotive?)

Raphael : (That is just your imagination.)

Sweet Dropping, Raphael did sound more...lively, anyway returning his attention toward the two demons.

He could see some sparkle in Noir's eyes...he served him for 2 years now but his lack of magicule was a danger...Great sage didn't count the borrowed power from Veldora and advised to wait before naming him.

As for Noir, he took that as a message that he had to work even harder to receive this reward.

Rimuru : Let's see, Noir from now on you are Diablo.

Diablo : Kufufu, it's my honor Rimuru-sama !

Magicule leaving his body, Rimuru felt slightly drained...

Rimuru : (Huh ? How much did he take...)

Raphael : (Answer : around 30 % of master total magicule.)

Rimuru : (30 %?! Didn't you say I had 10 times my previous count...what kind of monster did I just make...)

Looking at Noir who was swallowed in euphoria, a dark cocoon formed around him as his evolution started.

It soon ended with Diablo floating down, his clothes didn't change much from his butler outfit but the presence he was excluding and his form was much more refined...

Diablo : What a wonderful name, I will be forever grateful, Rimuru-sama.

Placing his hand over his chest, it was a moment of total bliss which creeped Rimuru a little, he was already accustomed to his weird behavior but still...

Rimuru : A-anyway, as for you Blanc...what about Testarossa ?

Testarossa : Testarossa, huh...it's beautiful my lord.

Smiling and accepting this name, the same process happened as another 30 % of his magicule left his body...Rimuru watched as a white and pinkish cocoon enveloped Testa's body.

On the side, Diablo was quite not really approving this as he had to wait 2 whole years for this but ultimately his lord's decision was absolute.

After a short while, Testa finished her evolution...she managed to stay awake just like Noir.

Her white dress was switched for a black military like uniform, her beauty seems to have been accentuated.

Rimuru : Oho~(Having a beautiful subordinate is really a bliss.)

Admiring Testarossa, he soon sighed and turned toward Diablo.

Rimuru : Can you show Testarossa around ? I'll give you both your job later.

Diablo : As your wish.

Bowing once again, the celebration night continued...

Rimuru : Now that I think, where is Dawn-kun ? I remember him being with me during the war...

Raphael : (His presence can be felt near the grave of Shizue Izawa.)

Rimuru : I see...I should go see him...

Getting up, he excused himself and left for the small hill where he often went to watch the horizon...

Flying over there, he landed near the location retracting his wings...the fresh air breathed past his hair, the night sky was filled with stars...

Taking a few steps, Rimuru stopped when he heard someone's voice...seemingly talking alone.

Dawn : The moon is particularly clear today...

Rimuru : (Mmh ?)

Approaching, he was really alone...sat on the grass, his eyes fixed on the full moon displayed high in the sky.

Not wanting to suddenly interrupt him, Rimuru crossed his arm and laid his back against a tree.

Dawn : Luna...honestly I feel so stupid now, understanding my own feeling after everything was gone...we humans are truly foolish on that point, only realizing after losing it.

His voice was filled with sadness and regret...

Dawn : If only...if only I had accepted your feelings back then, the present would be different...really, when you have regrets you live with those two words 'If only'...

he felt like 2000 years of regrets suddenly hit him...

Dawn : Well...it might be a little too late but I am now sure...

Smiling, he brought out a bottle of sake he had borrowed from Tempest, taking out a glass he poured himself some.

Rising the glass in front of his eyes, the reflection of the moon through the glass was nonetheless beautiful.

Dawn : 2000 years ago, we were classmates, acquaintances, friends and at the end enemies...I rejected your feeling under lame excuse but at the end, feelings coming from the heart can't lie.

Closing his eyes, he brought the glass to his lips and drank the sake...it was bitter, nothing he liked but still he felt like he had to do it.

Dawn : But my biggest regret is that even now I can't think of you as my biggest regret...

Pouring another glass up, Dawn smiled bitterly before drinking it again...

Dawn : Even when you were at my side, I refused to face reality...ahh, those are really painful memories you left me, Sola...

Pouring yet another glass as he mindlessly spoke, the bottle was half way empty now...and despite his resistance to abnormal status, he could feel the alcohol taking effect.

Maybe it's because he subconsciously disabled his resistance ? Or is it his skill that acted automatically so he could feel the effect ? He couldn't be sure.

But at the moment, he just wanted this peaceful time alone...

Dawn : Seriously...I had two bright stars and let both go miserably...

Biting his lips in frustration, his expression wavered...he then sighed laying down on the fresh grass...

The sky was particularly shining today...but what truly caught his attention was two shooting stars, no there was a third one close behind.

Slowly but surely, the star at the very front changed trajectory, falling apart from the other two before disappearing...

The second did the same going in the exact opposite direction, only the remaining star continued on its original path.

Dawn : Mmh...seriously, it's as if fate wanted me to suffer tonight.

Closing his eyes, the bottle of sake was still in his right hand...he didn't feel like finishing it anymore.

But wasting it wasn't an option too, a small smile crackled on his face as he brought his arm upward.

The bottle midair, he wanted to drink it all since it was a famous tradition in the ancient kingdom of Falmuth.

Sharing a glass of wine or any alcohol you had over a full moon to address your love.

But in the end, drinking alone was meaningless...in fact it might just be a sign of weakness and pity.

Dawn : Truly a shame.

Rotating his handle while closing his eyes, he awaited the sake to flow over his face...but nothing, he waited a few more seconds but still nothing.

Finally, deciding to open his eyes he noticed a hand stopping the bottle a few inches from overturn.

Rimuru : You know, it's not good to waste good sake like that, why don't we drink it together ?

Dawn : Rimuru...I see, sure why not.

Rimuru Pov

I know it's bad to eyedrop but I couldn't help...listening to him talking about his regrets so sincerely made me sympathize.

I realized a lot of things those last few weeks...i had regrets too and barely managed to get a hold over myself.
So I can't imagine how someone that had lived for so long would deal with such regrets...

Rimuru : You know, it's not good to waste good sake like that, why don't we drink it together ?

Dawn : Rimuru...I see, sure why not.

And before I knew it, I had left my hiding spot to stop what he was going to do...maybe it was out of compassion or pity but I just felt like I had to stop him.

Taking the bottle of sake, I noticed how it was one of our finest products in Tempest, it wasn't even released for sale yet...how did he get that ? Don't tell me he stole...

Dawn : Don't worry, I just asked Shuna-san and paid a high price...I just couldn't bring myself to come here with a cheap bottle.

Rimuru : I see...

Smiling, I grabbed the glass he used to drink earlier and poured it full...this sake is rather strong but we have resistance for that so it should be fine, normally.

Rimuru : Here.

Dawn : Thanks...

After handing him his glass, I took another one out from my stomach and finished the bottle...all the while a strange silence formed around me.

It wasn't awkward, no in fact it felt just right...

Dawn : You became quite strong...I didn't manage to detect you while drinking earlier...

Rimuru : Ah...well you probably were just too focused to notice me...

I am not naive enough to let this new power of mine get to my head, I remember the way he killed that harpy when I was dealing with Falmuth's main army.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to take that attack even now that I have Holy resistance...

Anyway, I sat down beside Dawn-kun and brought my glass closer...following my lead, he did the same.

A stirring sound followed as our glass collided...the calm and fresh night was really comfortable at the moment.

Rimuru : Now...should we talk a little ?

I asked while drinking, the taste was bitter and sweet just how I liked but it didn't seem to be Dawn-kun's case as he grimaced from time to time.

I guess he isn't a good drinker...well that's good too.

Dawn : Sure, i guess you have some question for m-

Rimuru : No...let's just talk about the past, regrets are the worst enemy before death...you seem to have a lot on your heart.

Dawn : ...

Rimuru : So let's talk, Dawn-kun. I'll listen to your story and pain...as your friend.

Smiling, I did my best to not sound pushy...his eyes widened for an instant, I didn't really understand his reaction but instantly after he looked down with a deep sight.

His hair overshadowing his eyes, his mouth moved slowly.

Dawn : Seriously...on that note you are really the protagonist...

Rimuru : Eh ?

Looking up at me, his reddened cheek due to the sake and his behavior changed a little..;falling back he let out a frustrated groan.

Dawn : Fine...i'll tell you about my biggest regret...

Rimuru : Wait..;what do you mean by protagon-

Dawn : Let's put everything on alcohol's fault...you see those last few days I started remembering things from the past...this is a story from 2000 years ago...

Did he just switch subjects ? Ah, well it doesn't it was probably not important anyway i should just focus on his story.

Flashback

3 years after his fight against Luna, Dawn was still traveling trying to find the answer to his question.

Right now, he was in a city called Lavion...located within a small nation near the north-west coast of the continent near the ocean that led directly to the domain of Guy Crimson.

There, he looked down reading a small piece of paper he had mysteriously received 2 days ago.

'The sun shines brighter near the coldest place.'

It was a riddle that didn't make any sense, but since he was on a journey without true aim...he decided to follow the message.

The coldest place in this world is the Northern continent, but the paper precisely says « Near » and so the city which is the closest to that point is Lavion.

Looking up, Dawn could see how the sun was barely shining through the numerous clouds...this port city was not very lively.

Since not many ships passed by...

Dawn : Now that I think...Tensura didn't really develop the countless islands around the main continent...maybe I should visit them sometime...

Watching the horizon filled with water, the short and large waves hitting the coast...it was really peaceful.

Well, if you looked closely you could see how some parts of this beautiful picture were still affected by his [Frozen world] from 3 years ago.

The magicule at some place spiked and the temperature fluctuated irregularly.

Dawn : 3 years already, huh...

Dozing off mindlessly, he suddenly turned around and brought out his sword countering 3 flying knives directed at him.

Narrowing his eyes, he quickly noticed the attacker...a caped man on a rooftop of one of the houses.

He wasn't alone, tracing the other's magicule...there was 7 of them in total.

Dawn : Assassin, huh...they already found me ?

His appearance was altered, and the last attack happened 2 months ago...still it was a bit too fast considering only very few could see through his disguise.

Dawn : Well at least it's in this small city...

Sighing, he immediately started to run forward...those 7 assassins were rather coordinated separated on different roofs.

As soon as they saw him coming, multiple traps were enabled...an explosion occurred directly below Dawn's feet.

Dawn : (They are experimenting...this isn't just some mercenary who heard about my bounty.)

He could also see another set of knives coming his way, they were infused in mana making them much sharper.

Dawn : (They predicted this far, huh...I can see a few more traps around...)

Still it wasn't enough to stop him, freezing the explosion from below everything was rather slow...as perk of being an ultimate skill holder is Thought acceleration.

This ability is really useful in time like this...catching the tempo, the distance, the magicule supply of the knives.

Dawn did the same as before blocking them with his sword, though the impact seemed a bit off.

Dawn : (This mana is weird...it doesn't feel alive...)

What more is that those knives weren't aimed toward his vitals...from professional assassins, such mistakes are impossible.

Dawn : What a bad joke.

Jumping off, he used the wall as a support and quickly neutralized the first assassin...his body collapsed despite Dawn using his fist to knock him out.

Dawn : As I thought...you guys weren't human.

Ripping off the cape, it was a battle doll...the others were most likely the same.

Turning toward the rest, instead of fighting they dispersed while fleeing.

Dawn : [Ice lance].

Not running after them, his eyes glowed 6 long spikes made of freezing ice forming above him.

Dawn : [True Rewrite].

Following by rewriting the space between him and his target, the Ice lances instantly pierced and destroyed the 6 dolls.

Shattering mid air, the city fell quiet...actually way too quiet.

Dawn : Now that I think...where are the citizens ?

It was still midday and even if the city didn't have millions of citizens...it should still be somewhat animated.

Something was really off about this city...

Dawn : At least I think I'm at the right place.

Thinking back at the message encrypted on the paper, Dawn was brought out of his trance as this city's largest tower released a loud gong.

The bell inside reasoned 7 times before stopping...Dawn just stared at the tower blankly before directing himself toward it.

He felt like it was an invitation...shortly after, he found himself in front of the tower, it seemed this large building was just a side part of the church within the city.

Dawn : I wonder which god they worship...

This was an honest question, Luminous was yet to become the worshiped god that she is and Veldanava was gone.

The large door leading to the praying hall was engraved in multiple gold crests...it was clear that a large amount of the city budget went here just to make this door.

Dawn : Is that ancient language ? I heard Lavion actually had a very deep history from 5000 years ago, though its name was different.

The former capital of an ancient civilization...this city was much more lively back in the day when the land ravaged by Guy Crimson was still active.

The civilization that lived on the Ice continent before it was taken over, a nation ruled by High humans...Lavion was actually the main relay point for both continent's link.

Under the name of Avalion...this city was the capital of that ancient kingdom.

And this church must have been the castle before the fall of the nation.

Somehow while staring at the door, Dawn felt nostalgic...shaking off that feeling he opened and entered the large hall.

It was big enough to welcome thousands of people, near the end of this artificial alley...an empty space where two thrones fitted perfectly with the internal furniture.

Dawn : You can come out, I already felt your presence before even entering.

Before adventuring further into the room, Dawn called out for the sole other presence inside this castle.

At his words, a woman came out of a side door near the two thrones...cladded in a white cloak from head to toe, she appeared to be similar to those fanatics from some sect back on earth.

A simple mask made of pure white with no opening, the only information he could gather from her appearance alone was that she is a female.

???: Welcome Arceid...I am glad you accepted my invitation.

Without waiting, Dawn activated the Lord of Stories and tried to look into this woman's information but it was instantly blocked.

This actually startled her as he tensed up.

Dawn : Who are you ?

???: Before I answer that, mind if you listen to a short story ?

Dawn : I don't...

???: Good then.

Turning around, ??? placed her hand over the right throne...slowly caressing the left arm handle.

???: You see, this land was once ruled by a great duke...his name was Origin Avalion, or later renamed as Origin Arceid.

Dawn : !!!

The woman turned around to face Dawn, she brought her arm up and slowly uncovered her face.

Strands of gray hair fell down, green eyes shone through the dark room...despite her different appearance Dawn immediately recognized her.

Dawn : So it was you...Sola.

Her facial features were much older, she wasn't an immortal being, her body aged normally as a human.

So compared to Dawn who kept most of his youthful features, she didn't...but the most important was there.

Dawn : Your appearance changed a lot...

Sola : Yes...I can't say the same for you though.

Staring at each other, Dawn felt a sense of unease...the gaze of Sola was nothing but empty, only someone who had gone through numerous hardships could have.

Dawn : No...you aren't exactly Sola...who are you ?

Sola : As expected you noticed, I couldn't expect anything less from my best friend.

An empty compliment was followed by her emotionless face, this was truly unfit of Sola's character Dawn remembered.

Sola : You are half right half wrong though.

Dawn : I repeat, who are you ?

Sola : ...

Her eyes remained cold, she turned around again facing the throne...patting the king's handle, soon the room was enveloped into an odd barrier.

The space around switched as the cold and sterile room turned warmer, the light turned on illuminating showcasing the beauty of this royal castle.

Dawn didn't move to stop this, he didn't feel anything wrong and a part of him wanted to know what was going to happen.

Dawn : This...

Sola : This is a projection from the past...from my memories.

Joining side with her friend, both stood there facing the two throne...a single man was sat there on the king's throne.

Dawn looked around for a while before gazing off at his own hand...they were transparent, it seemed this was really a projection from faraway memories.

Sola : The man sat there is the great duke Arceid, the founder of your family...

Dawn : How come you know this much ?

Deciding to stay silent, Sola waited...soon a figurine emerged from behind and walked through her transparent body.
It was a woman with short gray hair and green.

Sola : This girl's name is Shyria...a commoner blood who somehow met with the great duke and became his friend.

Dawn : She looks like you...a younger version actually.

Sola : Because she is...

Smiling for the first time since their reunion, Sola worked forward placing herself beside Shyria.

Sola : Dawn...this life as Sola is my 3rd one, this girl beside me is my second life.

Dawn : This is...shocking.

He already connected the dots when he saw Shyria walking past them...but hearing it directly had a greater effect.

Sola : 11 years ago...when you disappeared, I had recovered my memories of this second life...so you could say I did live as the Sola you knew for quite a while.

Looking down, Shyria and Origin were having a muted discussion behind...it seems Sola's memories forcibly blocked the noise.

Sola : But this is a curse...the memories of Shyria i mean...

Dawn : Why ?

Sola : The memories of this second life were sealed for a reason...and the fact that I remember them brings me back to the starting point...

The scenery around changed, it was now a battlefield with thousands of bloodied corpses around...in the middle of it, Dawn noticed the same man.

Origin Avalion, he was holding a broken sword before collapsing on the ground...

Several feet behind, Shyria could be seen laying on her stomach...covered in mud and injuries, she desperately stretched her hand forward seemingly trying to get Origin...

Sola : This is the battle of cardinals...a fight against some remnant of cryptids.

A stampede of cryptids, descendants of Ivarage the evil god who was sealed a long time ago...

They suddenly appeared near Avalion's territory...the city was already on fire and destroyed.

Origin somehow managed to repel most of them using his skill: Heroism...in fact for a short moment, Dawn could have felt a power rivaling the True hero in him.

But at the end, he collapsed in front of a dark beast taking the form of a lion...

Shyria : S-stop !!!

The corrupted beast showing his fang, Shyria could only watch the scene unfold...her noble friend who had accepted her despite their difference in status.

The sole human she could trust was going to die right in front of her...she is a reincarnated person from Japan.

Someone who has a soul strong enough to withhold a world crossing...the knowledge, the power she had accumulated.

All were useless at this moment, when she needed them...

Dawn : That's a rather pitiful sight...

Sola : I know...

But before the great duke could lose his life, a miracle happened...Shyria's hair glowed silver as her cries reached the heavens.

A mysterious power hidden within her manifested releasing a strong wave of aura...the corrupted beast was pushed away and sent crashing into a wall behind.

At the same time, Origin's body was healed...his internal and external injuries were all gone as his body was enveloped in a comforting green light.

Origin : This...Shyria !

Turning around, his eyes widened when he saw his friend breathing heavily...holding the sword he had gifted her.

Her eyes revealed a powerful magic and the aura she was releasing was almost equal to his.

Origin : You...

He was stunned...he couldn't speak or move, this was like Shyria awakened a power beyond comprehension.

This was a mistake...as he didn't realize the corrupted beast approaching from behind before jumping past him.

His body flying above him, he ran at full speed toward Shyria with creeping bloodlust.

Realizing the situation too late, Origin tried to get him but when he did...his fang already pierced the tired Shyria...

Taking more than half of her body with him...despair filled the duke's eyes as he faced the desperate truth.

Catching his friend's body before it could reach the ground, the remains were too less for a healing magic to work.

Shyria : H-hehe...really, i'm glad you're safe...

Origin : W-what are you saying !

Shyria : D-duke...it was an honor for me to have served you...to have befriended you.

Her words turned weaker than the previous one...her broken body turned pale...that day Shyria, a simple reincarnated girl died.

Dawn : So that's how you died ?

Sola : You could say that...

But surprisingly, the scene continued...it shouldn't be possible since it was extracted from Sola/Shyria's memories.

She couldn't have them if she was dead at that moment...yet it did.

Tears assaulted Origin's face, he regretted so much at this instant...to the point where he released his guard.

The surviving beasts crawled around circling him...this was a desperate situation.

Yet another miracle happened...a divine light captured the area, a single existence different from the other walked down a path of light.

Dawn who watched the scene as a third party could be seen clenching his fist, pure shock displayed on his face.

Dawn : H-how...

Sola : ...so that's what happened after I died...

The one looking at the great duke, Origin Averion...was a flawless being whose beauty transcended the realm of mortal.

The one called Star king dragon, Veldanava...

Dawn : W-why is he here...did Veldanava have something to do with the Arceid family ? What is the meaning of this...

Question swirled in his mind as the scene turned black...returning to the present in the cold and sterile throne room.

Sola : As you saw, this is my second life's story.

Dawn : Wait ! How come we saw something after your death when this is the projection of your memories !

Sola : So you didn't notice, huh...

Sighing, instead of answering she marched forward...positioning herself in front of both throne she looked down at Dawn with sympathy.

Sola : In reality, my life as Shyria didn't end there...I was rebuilded as Shyria Arceid afterward.

Dawn : W-what ?

Sola : My memories from there are blurry, maybe because I wasn't really myself but after my death, Origin-sama refused that outcome.

He somehow managed to conserve her soul, his land destroyed and he left the name Averion behind as a simple fallen hero joining the kingdom of Muth.

With his glorious reputation, he easily got a position in the nobility and started an experiment..to revive a living being.

Passing the remainder of his life trying to achieve the impossible...

Sola : I believe Veldanava saved my soul and gave it to him...because of that, he lived for the sake of my resurrection...

And one day, after decades of research...he succeeded, Shyria's soul was already damaged from all those years but still...it managed to inhabit an artificially made body.

It was rebuilt around her original body which was almost devoured and his own blood...that day Shyria Arceid, the little sister of Origin Arceid was born.

Dawn : He couldn't let go of his past regrets, huh...

Sola : Yes, truly a fool, but now that I look back...I am happy...it's selfish right, I'm happy he suffered for my sake...I'm happy my sole friend did all this for me !

Guilty of her own joy, Sola spoke sincerely...

Sola : But things were never the same after my resurrection...Origin-sama awakened some memories of his « past » life, the despair he had at that time awakened in him a Ultimate skill...known as the Lord of Stories...

Dawn : Huh ?

Sola : Dawn-kun...you had them too right, those corrupted memories brought by greed and envy...and that cursed skill...

Dawn's eyes widened, sweat dropped from his forehead as he tried to understand the situation.

Sola : You are the reincarnation of Origin Averion...my foolish friend.

Without letting him collect his thoughts, she continued...

Sola : Though our reunion at that time was very short as the same year...Origin died deciding to take his own life before his mind would be totally lost.

Dawn : Wait...what do you mean by corrupted memories ?

Sola : Origin Averion is a man born in this world...he lived and didn't have a past life, i know it because he was my friend.

Stretching her hand, her fist was clenched to the point where blood spurted out...what she was showing was rage.

Sola : Origin himself knew that...that's why before he could lose his mind and get controlled by those unknown memories, he decided to end his own life.

The background scenery suddenly turned black...a single parcel of light displaying Shyria crying over her friend's body.

Sola : As you can see, our life was full of goodbye...

Her out reaching to Shyria's head, Sola sighed sadly when her hand passed through the illusion...

Sola : But before leaving, Origin gave me something...he had implemented in me the memories that were overwhelming his mind...since i wasn't the target i managed to learn a lot from it.

Her calm face turning grim, a psychotic smile apparent...Sola turned toward Dawn with such an expression.

Sola : With those memories, i understood the true enemy...i saw the name of this story Tensura, i could make myself pass for an actual traveler who saw this world has nothing but a story !

Dawn : You...

Sola : Don't get me wrong, Dawn...listen to the end of my story before you make a conclusion.

Dawn fell silent, maybe it was because of the authoritative tone Sola used or just because he knew that he should stay quiet in the meantime...or maybe because he was too confused to get a hold of his own thoughts.

Sola : After his death, I understood who the true enemy was...I wanted to save you, to avenge you...it still makes me shake how enraged I was after learning the truth...

Looking down at her shaking hand, you could easily tell that she wasn't stable mentally.

Sola : This is the message I understood from Origin... « I'll leave it to you...Shyria. '' I was all alone against that curse, against those damn memories !

The suffering she went through, the loneliness she had to harvest all those years...all could be felt through her voice.

Sola : Haha...you know, the true identity of my skin is Lord of Imagination : Titania...i didn't even realize that power dwelling inside me until his death...

Unique skill : Desir maker, a skill that was hidden deep within her soul...she had no idea of its existence until the battle of Cardinal where she used it to heal Origin...

That same skill evolved upon her resurrection...as her soul made contact with Origin's magicule that could rival the awakened.

Sola : This skill came very handy...it gave the necessary weapon to fight against the impossible.

Spreading her arm, the landscape changed once again...

It was now a theater scene where two projectors lit Dawn and Sola's position.

Sola : For 60 years, I continuously formed this plan...having kept Origin's soul, I intended to give him and myself the life we deserved...and that was through reincarnation.

Dawn : You...

Sola : Somehow I managed to directly interfere with the cycle of reincarnation...everything was set for both of us to be reborn and live together again...

Her smile turned peaceful,..this scenario even now would be a utopic for her.

Sola : But I was conscious of that entity...he viewed our world as a story, he tried to achieve something by interfering with Origin's thought...I knew there was a chance that even after his reincarnation, this entity would strike again.

Her smile turned into a frown...

Sola : That's why, I made sure everything was ready just in case...I developed the Arceid family using the remains of Origin's blood...the unique skill : Heroism was used as the core of this operation...this is how the Arceid family developed.

A third projector turned on, lighting a child with black hair...he was standing between Dawn and Sola looking down lifelessly.

Sola : This Kreios Arceid...you could say he is your son who inherited your skill from your past life.

Dawn : My son, huh...

Sola : After that, i had to think how to stop that entity...unfortunately, I couldn't protect and send the information through your reincarnation...thus you have no concrete memories of your past life, only instinct.

The reason they saw memories from after Shyria's first death was because it is too sourced from Dawn's previous life...even if he couldn't remember them personally, they were engraved deep inside his very soul.

Sola : I seriously hoped that we could live a new life together, that I wouldn't need to remember everything.

But because of the possible threat, Shyria had given herself some fake memories...she had to pay a price for interfering with the cycle of reincarnation being the removal of her memories..

Still she had to be aware of this lurking entity while hiding from it...the only solution she had found was to fake being one of them.

She would become Sola, a reincarnated based on the corrupted memories of Origin...with her backstory being changed to the one of her very first life in japan.

Daughter of a prostitute, she lived her whole childhood watching her mother drown in alcohol and desire...before being the victim of an accident during middle school.

Her ultimate skill taking the form of her fantasy...it was materialized into the unique skill : Gamer...or at least its function.

Sola never had this skill to start with...it was Lord of Imagination : Titania all along...

Sola : Everything was set just in case...though it seems I was right on taking precaution...

Shyria's memories were gone when the reincarnation happened but those same memories were kept registered in the Lord of Imagination...and until it takes its true form, Sola will have to live with those fake memories.

Sola : The trigger is simple, if the Lord of Stories ever reawakened in you...i will remember everything, and enable my plan...

A plan that transcended reincarnation...

Dawn was speechless, he wanted to speak but words stuck in his throat and didn't come out...suddenly a nauseous feeling filled his mind.

As a dark smoke escaped his soul...taking the form of a faceless humanoid being...it had no clothes, no colors...it was just a being tainted in black.

???: To think you would fool me this far...

Sola : So we finally met...

???: I stopped watching you as you slowly became a side character but in reality you were the most dangerous one...

On the side, Dawn collapsed holding his head...he felt like his very existence was breaking...

???: Dawn...don't listen to her, she is deceiving you.

Sola : Shut up ! You have no right to talk after everything you did !

Grabbing Dawn's arms, the Author stared directly into his panicked eyes...

???: Who are you ?

Dawn : S-stop...

This entity was later called Author...he couldn't express himself but Sola could feel the amusement he had at the moment.

She looked down, seizing Dawn's condition...and as she expected, he wasn't in the right state of mind.

He had lived all his life as Dawn Arceid following the memories given to him...with nothing from his true past life.

Sola : You think you already won ? Sorry for you but this is a plan that transcends reincarnation.

Author : What ?

Sola : Hahaha ! I won this time...I already know you aren't any sort of omnipotent or all knowing being ! If you were, then I would have lost before even starting !

Her crazy laugh made the Author step back...an obvious tension forming in him.

Author : What do you mean ?

Sola : Right now Dawn believes he is whatever you want him to be...but that's only because Origin's memories are gone...once he gets them back, he will be himself again !

Author : Are you serious ? This isn't possible...Origin Averion is a character that wasn't written...he had no story anymore ! And his memories were gone along with his life !

Sola : Unique skill : Heroism...i had trapped every once of my and Origin's memories in it...

Author : ...

Sola : That's not all you fucking dumbass ! Using my Titania, I managed to artificially create the perfect counter to your plan.

Pointing her finger toward the collapsed Dawn, she smirked...a bright light appeared near his soul.

Sola : Ultimate skill : Lord of Fate...at the time i created it, it was incomplete and nameless so integrating it to his soul would be easy...it's just an empty sulk...

Author : Don't tell me you...

Sola : Yes...it took his complete form after finding its match...unique skill : Heroism, Ultimate skill : Lord of fate and an awakening strong enough...

It needed that much because it was the creation of a mortal...not the Voice of the world or the Will of god...

A skill that wasn't born from the system...

Sola : With this skill, the final act of my plan can now start.

Chain appearing out of Dawn's soul, the Author groaned as he got trapped by them...

Sola : I know I can't defeat you...but at least I won't let you do as you wish with my friend !

Author : You are seriously going to seal a part of his memories ?! This is useless !

Sola : It's not...now that the Lord of Fate is active, I will seal off everything that happened here and the Lord of stories...

The lord of stories being the direct factor that allows the Author to manipulate his mind...it was the biggest problem.
But as long as Dawn didn't use it, it was fine...

Sola : In a few thousand years, I believe he will have found an answer to your question.

Author : As if you have the power to seal me off ! Pathetic !

Smirking, the chain gradually started to break...Sola couldn't hold her amusement as she tilted her head.

Sola : I already told you...everything was planned before my reincarnation.

In her words, the chains glowed back even brighter...their constitution seemed even stronger...but in exchange cracks appeared all over Sola's body.

Author : You are sacrificing your existence as offering to the Lord of Fate....to seal me ?

Gritting his teeth at the realization, Sola couldn't be more proud...she had won, her revenge was successful.

Sola : This sub skill is called [End of all Fate], it allows the skill to sacrifice other's fate to boost its own power...

Author : Without fate you are going to disappear you fool !

Yelling, the Author glared with venom in his eyes...but to this, Sola just smirked.

Sola : Dawn will now use the Lord of Fate unconsciously...slowly his instinct will go back to the man known as Origin Averion and...your plan in taking over him would end as a failure.

Author : You bastard...

Sola : Sleep well, loser.

The chains closing...they brought the silent Author back into Dawn's soul...a large seal formed in his mind.

The overflow of information and the situation overall made Dawn lose his consciousness...before hitting the ground.

Sola caught him and sighed...she was exhausted and the cracks on her body kept getting larger...

Sola : You won't remember anything of this when you wake up...there would just be an empty and painful void in your memories...

The memories of this day are sealed for a good reason...if he ever happens to remember them now.

Then the chance for him to never accept his past life as Origin Averion would be high...so he had to live slowly and rediscover himself.

Sola : But if you ever happen to remember this...

Placing his head over her lap...a large crack broke right in the middle of her face...

Sola : Don't forget me, my friend...I don't know if what I felt was love, friendship or just a strong sense of comradery...

Her skin started to break...

Sola : Right now...I feel relieved and hopeful that one day, you remember me as your friend.

Finally, she held her last breath closing her eyes...starting from her head, her body crumbled into dust...

Instantly after, Dawn opened his eyes feeling dizzy...

Dawn : What happened ?

Getting up, he noticed himself laying down in the middle of the church...he didn't remember why he was here or how he got here...

Dawn : Huh ?

Looking down, his hand trailed in a pile of dust...he grabbed a handle of it for a moment before feeling a sense of unease.

Dawn : What is-

Flashback End

D-

Daw-

Dawn-

Rimuru : Dawn-kun !

Dawn : Huh ?

Opening his eyes, Dawn found himself beside Rimuru...

Rimuru : You suddenly space out...

Dawn : Oh...

Looking around, they were sharing some sake when he was about to tell him his story...

Rimuru : You said, it was a story from 2000 years ago then suddenly stopped talking..;i thought you fell asleep...

Dawn : I see...I'm sorry, I just remembered something...

Rimuru : I don't really mind but I think you should rest...you don't seem well...

Nodding, Dawn looked down on his hand...just now, he remembered these memories...

It wasn't just his but also Sola's...it seems even now he was recovering slowly.

Dawn : (I see...so i already knew who Sola was really...my friend...)

Smiling, he clenched his fist and laid down...

Dawn : Sorry Rimuru but I'll tell you my story another time...

Rimuru : Eh ? But you got me curious now !

Dawn : Haha, let's just say this was a teaser...you can painfully wait for the main show now.

Rimuru : You evil !

Both stared at each other before bursting in laughter...it was truly a peaceful moment...

Rimuru : Haha, anyway if you ever need someone to listen, know that i'm here.

Dawn : Yeah...I appreciate it.

Smiling, Rimuru nodded and got up...stretching his boneless body, he took a deep breath of fresh air and decided to leave there.

Alone again, Dawn looked back toward the moon...it was really beautiful even more than earlier.

Dawn : My memories are still recovering, huh...this is a bit annoying...

Smiling softly, it might help him understand and learn from his past mistakes but along those memories are also their pain.

Dawn : It's not the time to be down like that...I should get back to Ruberios for now, after all things are just getting started.

All forms of light leaving his eyes, not even the clear moon could go past the sudden darkness he was showing.

Earlier, he had received news that had for effect similar to a water droplet falling down interrupting a perfectly calm sea...

Dawn : I admit it...I lost this one.

A single message popped in his mind...Horizon White has lost against demon lord Dagruel and was captured by the giants...

Dawn : I thought the Author was going to focus on me...but he decided to take away one of my cards, huh...if it was to piss me off, he succeeded.

Before enacting his plan and sending Horizon against Dagruel, he had perfectly checked his fate...and in every way he was going to draw or at least push Dagruel to retreat...

But that fate was cut down...Dagruel could have done that ? No, because the current Dagruel wouldn't be able to counter the Lord of Fate...Dawn knew it because of the information he has on Tensura.

Dawn : My current enemy is Guy Crimson, huh...he seems adamant in not letting Ruberios alone...

His aura silently flaring around the forest...all routes lead to the Walpurgis now...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.9K 339 9
⚠️PLEASE READ THE FINAL CHAPTER [ANNOUNCEMENT]⚠️ Rimuru and Veldora adopt a newborn slime and named it Adani Tempest. What kind of life will Adani Te...
4.3K 229 20
Raj a average guy struggling with poverty and his life dies by the hands of some not important bastard. While bleeding to his death he wishes to be r...
44.1K 2.3K 37
What if Tempest was never founded? Rimuru missed his opportunity to save the lives of those who would've become some of his first and closest friends...
40.2K 1.8K 24
Feldway finally had enough. He brought out his true body, crafted by Veldanava's hands, while Rimuru was distracted, fighting an enraged Milim under...