Consort Shu

By lazy_walnut

Author: 晓桥琉水 Concise Version: Wearing the identity of the legitimate eldest daughter of the Shen family, she... More

CH 1. Draft
Chap 2: Conffering the Title of Consort
Chap 3: Entering the Palace
Chap 4: First Meeting with the Emperor
Chap 5: Paying Respects
Chapter 6: Sleeping Together
Chapter 7: Stirring up trouble
Chapter 8: Old grudges, new hatred
Chapter 9: Warning
Chapter 10: Admiring the Lotuses (Part 1)
Chapter 11: Admiring the Lotuses (Part 2)
Chapter 12: Xiao Jieyu
Chapter 13: Reaction of all parties
CH 14: Empress Dowager
CH 15: Chess
CH 16: Jiang Liyi
CH 17: Punished to Kneel
CH 19: Chrystal Osmanthus Cake
CH 20: Mid Autumn Festival Family Banquet (1)
CH 21: Mid Autumn Festival Family Banquet (Part 2)
CH 22: Flirt~Tease
CH 23: Encounter
CH 24: Second Prince
CH 25: Counterattack (Part 1)

CH 18: Emperor this plaything

340 6 0
By lazy_walnut

  Coming out of the osmanthus forest, after walking for a while, Shen Moyun heard Hong Xi say, "Master, a little further ahead is the Zhaoming Palace."

Shen Moyun slightly frowned and said, "In that case, let's head back first." She had no interest in going to the Zhaoming Palace to have a heart to heart talk with the empress or pry into anything; it was too tiresome.

"Yes... Master, it's His Majesty," As soon as Hong Xi turned around, she saw a bright yellow figure walking ahead and quickly pulled on Shen Moyun's sleeve to remind her in a low voice.

Shen Moyun also noticed and walked a few steps forward. She knelt down and greeted, "This concubine pays respects to His Majesty."

Yuwen Xī walked over with a gloomy expression in his eyes, seemingly in a bad mood. However, he still helped Shen Moyun up with a gentle tone, "Beloved Consort, rise. Why are you here?"

Shen Moyun lowered her head respectfully and said, "Seeing that there was nothing to do today, I came to the Imperial Garden to relax. Unexpectedly, I was momentarily lost in thought and walked outside Her Majesty's Zhaoming Palace. I ask for Your Majesty's forgiveness." Given the Emperor's current mood, it was better to be cautious, first ask for forgiveness, and then explain.

Yuwen Xi said indifferently, "Oh, Consort Shu has always been thoughtful and knowledgeable. Unexpectedly, she can also be absent minded. What is it? Let Zhen also hear about it."

  Be sure not to take the Emperor's casual words as sincere ones; if you really said it, you'll be in trouble. Shen Moyun revealed a slightly embarrassed smile and whispered, "Actually, it's nothing. It's just that I passed by the osmanthus forest and remembered the crystal osmanthus cake I used to have at this time of year, so I was a bit absent-minded."

Hearing this, Yuwen Xī looked at the few golden flowers fallen in her hair, and his expression improved a bit. He spoke in the same gentle tone as before, "Jiang Xi, Zhen remember, the crystal osmanthus cake was also served at this time of year in previous years."

"Replying to Your Majesty, the osmanthus forest only bloomed a few days ago. It is expected that the Imperial Kitchen will present the crystal osmanthus cakes to the palace masters in the coming days," Jiang Xi replied cautiously.

"Good." Yuwen Xī nodded and continued, "Since beloved consort likes it, in the future, whenever the Imperial Kitchen makes this dessert, send a portion to ChangLe Palace."

"This servant obeys the order," Jiang Xi bowed respectfully.

"Thank you, Your Majesty." Blushing, Shen Moyun curtsied to the Emperor, seemingly surprised by his words.

"Zhen still has documents to review and will return to Liangyi Hall for now. We'll go flower viewing together another day," Yuwen Xī said, patting Shen Moyun's smooth, jade-like hand and leaving this promise that should not be taken as a promise before leaving with his attendants.

  "Farewell Your Majesty!" Shen Moyun knelt down according to the etiquette until the Emperor was completely out of sight. Only then did she breathe a sigh of relief, feeling somewhat fatigued. She said to Hong Xi, "Help me up." Fortunately, everything went smoothly. If there had been anything in her words that displeased the Emperor just now, she might be under house arrest by now.

"Be careful, Master!" Hong xi carefully helped Shen Moyun up and helped her smooth out the wrinkles caused by the courtesy, Hong Xi whispered, "Yu Tao, by the Empress's side, is watching us."

Shen Moyun was taken aback for a moment, then said, "Ignore her, pretend you didn't notice. Let's go."

Hong Xi immediately stopped talking and only helped Shen Moyun leave this place.

That evening, as Hong Xi was helping Shen Moyun remove a jade bracelet from her hand, she mentioned, "I heard that this morning at court, someone accused the Xiao family, claiming they disregarded the law and were deceiving their superiors and deluding with subordinates. It seems they stirred up a legal case with human life involved. His Majesty severely reprimanded Lord Xiao for it during the morning court."

Lord Xiao here naturally referred to Empress Xiao's father. Shen Moyun nodded calmly and said, "Knowing what happened is enough. You don't need to continue inquiring about the details. Anyway, it will be known sooner or later." As for what the Emperor said and did in the Zhaoming Palace, it's not something she should know. She was happy to play the fool about it.

"Yes, Master is wise."

The next day, when Shen Moyun went to the Zhaoming Palace to pay respects, Empress Xiao still maintained a dignified and graceful demeanor, as if nothing had happened the day before. Shen Moyun scanned the crowd and saw the usual smiling faces, wondering how many were secretly reveling in schadenfreude.

   Jiang Liyi, sat in a slightly lower position according to her rank, with her makeup and dress carefully arranged. She balanced between being eye-catching and not overly ostentatious, perfectly expressing her appropriate status. Her expression and gaze were extremely humble. Shen Moyun only gave her a fleeting glance before shifting her gaze away – another complicated woman.

For the matter of sending the crystal osmanthus cake from the Imperial kitchen to ChangLe Palace, mentioned by the Emperor, there were naturally some sarcastic remarks directed at Shen Moyun. However, she skillfully deflected them. The crowd chatted and laughed for a while, and the atmosphere appeared extremely harmonious, like sisters reuniting intimately. Who knew that the Empress would suddenly drop a bomb.

"Yesterday, when the imperial physician was checking Jiang Chongyi's pulse as usual, he found that she's over two months pregnant. Calculating the time, it seems to have happened when she was accompanying His Majesty during his southern tour. Bengong has already shared this good news with His Majesty, and he is very pleased."

In an instant, the faces of the women in the room displayed a variety of expressions, making Shen Moyun watch a transformed version of the *traditional Sichuan Opera face-changing again. Feeling unconventional, Shen Moyun also showed a shocked expression. Her eyes fell on Jiang Liyi at the last seat, whose face revealed an unbelievable despair and profound sadness.
(Refer to tl note at the end of the chapter)

Similar expressions had been seen by Shen Moyun before, notably from Jiang Cairen. She withdrew her gaze, unsure if she should find it amusing or sad. Perhaps, it wasn't Jiang Liyi who actively pursued the Emperor initially, but rather the Emperor who sought her out. However, having slept with one favored concubine, he then turned around and found other women to express his affections. In modern times, even a playboy chasing after a pure, innocent girl would pretend to be sincere for a few days. The Emperor, on the other hand, didn't seem to consider this.

  "Congratulations to Younger Sister Chongyi. This palace is becoming livelier." Noble Consort Liu smiled, but her eyes were filled with well hidden jealousy and unwillingness.

"Yes, Younger Sister Xiao Jieyu and Chongyi need to be more careful with their bodies and add two or more little princes for His Majesty, also allowing the Crown Prince and Second Prince to have two more little playmates." Moral Consort Zhang shook her feathered fan, and said with an amiable smile.

"That's right. You all are truly precious now." Zhu Xiuyi said without concealing her jealousy.

"Look at you all, making Jiang Chongyi embarrassed." Empress Xiao teased.

With everyone exchanging banter, it seemed as if the out of control dissatisfaction just now were just momentary illusions. They continued to showcase deep sisterly affections, and Jiang Chongyi, one of the main protagonists, continued to smile, graciously accepting whatever was said.

Jiang Liyi watched this scene with a pale face. Suddenly, she felt that everything she had done was ridiculous. Why did she enter the palace in the first place? Didn't that man say he loved her gentleness, and fell for her at first sight? Why can he turn around and continue his tender moments with his favored concubine so easily? Two months of pregnancy, two months ah! He had professed his sincere feelings for her and she believed him. Even after learning he was the Emperor, she still followed him. Although her situation at that time didn't gave her any other choice, she still held a glimmer of hope, and believed that the emperor was sincere towards her. After all, he said this to her personally – a monarch doesn't joke! But she forgot to ask him, how long would this sincerity last?

Thinking about the humiliations she had endured these days, sharp nails dug into her palms. With all her strength, Jiang Liyi prevented herself from losing control on the spot.

She couldn't go on like this. If the Emperor's sincerity was as elusive as clouds, she had to plan for herself. She needed to live well in the palace, at least to prevent her parents from worrying. At this moment, the last words Consort Shu said to her yesterday echoed in her mind. Jiang Liyi raised her head and quickly glanced at the Empress sitting at the top seat, her mind filled with contemplation.

Several concubines noticed Jiang Liyi losing her composure. They curled their lips and sneered inwardly. Shen Moyun also observed as she went from being heartbroken at the beginning to being calm now. She could not help but sighed. A disappointed in love women, is indeed not to be trifled with.

TL Note:
Bian Lian (lit. 'Face-Changing') is an ancient Chinese dramatic art that is part of the more general Sichuan opera. Performers wear brightly colored costumes and move to quick, dramatic music. They also wear vividly colored masks, typically depicting well known characters from the opera, which they change from one face to another almost instantaneously with the swipe of a fan, a movement of the head, or wave of the hand. The actor can pull down a mask which has previously been hidden on top of their head, changing their face to red, green, blue or black to express happiness, hate, anger or sadness, respectively.
From Wikipedia____

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 62 9
Collection of reader insert stories featuring original characters and typologies.
31.4K 531 135
👤: Mountain Spring Tag: Romance Status: OnGoing - Gu Man, who transmigrated from ancient times, woke up in the body of the Gu family's second daught...
25.7K 413 74
[COMPLETED] [Not MY Story] Guan Zhiyi, a third-tier actress, who has been struggling to gain popularity, finally gave in to her family's wishes and...
27K 401 15
"i love him but he never loved me"