CH 19: Chrystal Osmanthus Cake

As Shen Moyun left Zhaoming Palace, she subtly glanced at Jiang Liyi, who stood respectfully, waiting for their departure. The longing gaze and the love-struck expression that she had occasionally seen before had now vanished entirely. Jiang Liyi's demeanor seemed no different from other women in the harem.

Once settled in her sedan chair, Hong Xi instructed the eunuchs to lift it, heading back to Changle Palace.

As the various consorts and concubines left, the spacious warm pavilion fell into a sudden silence. Empress Xiao was about to call people from Shanggong Bureau to handle palace affairs when Yu Tao entered and reported, "Your Majesty, Jiang Liyi requests an audience."

"Oh?" Empress Xiao's calm expression revealed a hint of surprise. Nonetheless, she nodded, saying, "Let her in."

"Understood." Yu Tao withdrew to bring Jiang Liyi in to pay her respects.

In no time, Jiang Liyi, dressed in sky blue palace dress walked in. As soon as she saw the empress, she knelt down to pay her respects, "Concubine pays respect to Your Majesty. May the Empress live a thousand years."

"Rise. Take a seat!" Empress Xiao, noticing the increased deference in Jiang Liyi's expression, presumed there was an important matter to discuss. So she signaled to Yu Tao, who promptly retreated outside the curtain.

  "Thank you, Your Majesty." Jiang Liyi gracefully bowed again before slowly taking a seat below the empress. In her eyes, there was a firm resolve and a subtle ambition and calculation that was almost imperceptible.

Empress Xiao was momentarily surprised when she saw the look in Jiang Liyi's eyes, and then, a smile appeared on her face. This Jiang Liyi was quite interesting. If used wisely, she could be a valuable chess piece. Her gaze briefly swept across Jiang Liyi's beautiful appearance, and she smiled, "Today, you stayed behind to find bengong. Does Liyi have something to say?"

At these words, Jiang Liyi also revealed a smile, looking exceptionally radiant.

Outsiders were unaware of the content of the conversation between Empress Xiao and Jiang Liyi. However, many had noticed that in the past half month, Jiang Liyi's name card had been turned over by the emperor many times, and two days ago, she was even promoted to a fifth rank Meiren. As long as one is not too stupid, it was not difficult to guess that this was the result of the empress's support.

Virtuous Consort Gao sneered, "Following the empress? She'll suffer sooner or later."

Palace maid Xiu Xiang also voiced her discontent, "Master, this Jiang Meiren is too excessive. You are the master of Jingfu Palace, yet she doesn't pay her respects to you. Instead, she constantly curry favor with the empress. It's really disrespectful. It's because of your good temperament that you can endure it." As a dowry maid of Virtuous Consort Gao, she could speak more casually.

Virtuous Consort Gao said, "Who cares about that seductive fox coming to bengong? Bengong will not be bothered."

  "It's this servant's fault. Master, please calm down," Xiu Xiang cleverly brought a cup of hot tea to Virtuous Consort Gao.

"Let's see how long she can jump around," Virtuous Consort Gao disdainfully remarked. Suddenly, she remembered the gift she wanted to send to Jiang Chongyi and hurriedly asked, "Have you prepared the gift for Jiang Chongyi?"

"It's already prepared. Would you like to take a look, master?" Xiu Xiang asked. Seeing Virtuous Consort Gao nod, she quickly brought a list. "Here it is. Is there anything you'd like to change master?"

Virtuous Consort Gao hurriedly scanned the list, not too extravagant nor too plain, maintaining her status without overshadowing the Empress Dowager. Satisfied, she said, "Very well, leave it as it is."