The Queen of Aramdeau

By K_B_Fletcher

Daniela becomes engaged to the King of Aramdeau, but will it be enough to preserve the peace between their co... More

Chapter 1: Charles, King of Aramdeau
Chapter 2: Daniela of Brasador
Chapter 3: Kernwith Abbey
Chapter 4: Charles' Decade
Chapter 5: Ternhaligon Castle
Chapter 6: The Dowager Queen
Chapter 7: A Ride in the Forest
Chapter 8: In the Sight and Care
Chapter 9: The Town of Greenholde
Chapter 10: Tournament
Chapter 11: Departures
Chapter 12: Write to Me
Chapter 13: Customs and Gifts
Chapter 14: Queen Regent
Chapter 16: A Small Deception
Chapter 17: On the Northwestern Coast
Chapter 18: A Letter from Home
Chapter 19: Rest
Chapter 20: The Eastern Border
Chapter 21: A Day in Winter
Author's Note and Thank You

Chapter 15: Your Impatient Husband

13 2 4
By K_B_Fletcher

Daniela's mind felt less cluttered after a night's rest. The events of the day before had been trying, but she was determined now to fulfill the duty she had taken upon herself. She spent the morning continuing the interviews, but in the afternoon, the residents of the castle gathered to send off Lord Sutton's body. A large open wagon bore his casket draped in the Sutton family crest. Behind it followed a wagon of all his belongings. The Archpriest held a service of mourning in the chapel.

Three more days passed with investigations that bore no fruit. No one inside the castle saw anything amiss, and there had not been anyone near enough outside the castle to see anything at all. Daniela grew frustrated, but at least another letter from the north arrived.

Dear Daniela,

I would like you to continue to lead the investigation, if you are willing. I have written to each councilor to ask for their full support. They can be difficult and headstrong, but I would trust each with my life, and they will help you if they can.

I never thought I would be putting you in such a troubling situation by leaving you regent, but I believe it was the right choice. Tom thinks you are doing the best that anyone could do, and it demonstrates to the country that I trust you as queen, which I do.

Regardless of whether the investigation yields results, promise me that you will stay safe. If there is ever a reason to believe that you are in danger, just leave the castle. You can go to the home of my mother's family, or the home of one of your ladies-in-waiting, or even to Brasador if need be. Just promise me that, and I can rest easy.

My situation is mostly unchanged. We inch closer and closer in on the enemy, but progress is slow. I would not be able to pull out my army, but if I am needed at the castle, I could leave Duke Pearson in command and return alone at once. Simply give the word, and I will be there.

You might like to know that a group of nuns from Kernwith Abbey visited our camp the other day bringing blankets and provisions for the men. Many of them knew you and were eager to hear about you. The Reverend Mother in particular wanted to make sure you were happy at the castle. I may never have told you this, but she is my mother's aunt, and very dear to me. She is the reason why we chose for you to stay at Kernwith Abbey.

My mind should be full of tactics, but each day I grow more and more distracted waiting to hear from you. End this despondency and write as fast as you can.

Your impatient husband,

Charles

The letter eased Daniela's mind, and the last lines made her smile. She quickly began to write, but found her inkwell was dry. She got up to call a servant, then froze before opening the door. She could hear two voices in the hallway right outside her room.

"You are avoiding me," a low voice said teasingly. It was Captain Phillips.

"No, I'm not." It was Nicole.

"Indeed, I know that you are! Just yesterday I saw you pretend not to see me."

"Fine. Yes, I am avoiding you," she conceded seriously.

"What? What do you mean?"

"I just think it best not to be seen so much together. People will talk, and—"

"You don't care about any of that!" 

"You're wrong." Nicole spoke firmly. "I do care."

"I don't believe you. Why—"

"Believe what you will. Do not approach me again."

The door handle began to turn, and Daniela moved quickly away to the window. She pretended to look outside as Nicole entered the room.

"Are you ready, my lady?" Nicole asked.

"Yes, just a moment." She straightened out some papers on her desk that didn't need it before turning around.

"I think we'll be having cold roast lamb at luncheon today. Not my favorite, but I'm sure Marie will be pleased." Nicole spoke cheerily, though her expression was strained. Daniela decided not to say anything. Perhaps Nicole did not want her to know.

They went to eat, and that afternoon Daniela finished the interviews with Captain Phillips. It was starting to look like the killer would never be caught. Daniela watched the captain, but he showed no obvious signs of being hurt by his conversation with Nicole. He was less lively, perhaps, but that could be because of the failure of their efforts.

In the evening, Daniela asked only Nicole to help her undress, sending her other ladies away.

"You haven't heard anything, have you?" Daniela asked. "Rumors, I mean, about Lord Sutton. What have the noblewomen been saying?"

"Hmm, nothing in particular." Nicole thought carefully. "Marie didn't like the man much, and Paulina always thought he behaved uncivilly. He was a bachelor, you know, and some of the women at court had spurned his advances, although none of them truly hated him. Everyone seems genuinely grieved at his death."

"You will let me know anything you hear, won't you? I'm afraid I am out of options."

"You know I will, Dani." Nicole smiled. "Don't worry, I'm sure the truth will become clear soon. Thomas—I mean—" She looked down. "Captain Phillips said that someone will come forward soon, and that—" Her voice cracked and she couldn't get her words out.

Daniela held Nicole's hands and took her to sit on the edge of the bed. She ventured gently, "Do you like him very much?"

Nicole kept her head down as tears pooled and rolled down her cheeks. She nodded. Daniela pulled her in and hugged her close.

"Daniela, I love him." Nicole broke into a sob.

Daniela held her and stroked her fair hair. "Does he feel the same way about you?"

"No. Maybe, I don't know." She wiped her eyes uselessly. "It doesn't matter, because I've rejected him and insulted him and now he must hate me!"

"No, no, my love, I am sure he does not hate you." Daniela rubbed Nicole's tears with her thumbs to help her efforts. "But why did you do it? Because he is a commoner?"

Nicole nodded. "Even if he did love me, I cannot marry him. I thought I should turn him away now before it was too late. Before it really hurt him. But now that I have..." She pressed her forehead into Daniela's shoulder.

"There is no law against marriage between a noblewoman and a commoner," Daniela said. "It would not be easy, and you would lose your title, but it has been done before."

"But my family... You know I have no money and no land to inherit. My title is all that I have. Daniela, I am afraid."

"I know, I understand. Actually, I commend you for your caution. If I were in your position, I might do exactly as you have done." Daniela leaned back and looked into Nicole's puffy eyes. "But you and I are very different creatures, and I would not have you live as me for the world. You have always been much braver than me, you know."

Nicole smiled. "That's not true."

"It is! Do you remember the beehive we found in the cloisters?"

"Of course I do. If I had listened to you and stayed away I would not have gotten stung."

"If the world were filled only with people who were afraid to get stung, there would be no honey."

"Do you think I was wrong, then? To reject him?" Nicole asked.

"Well, I'm not really sure. I think that if he is a man worthy enough to take such a risk with, he will come to understand you and forgive you." Daniela smoothed the mussed hair around Nicole's face. "It is not the end. Take some time to see how you feel."

"You know, if I were to marry him, I could not be your lady-in-waiting anymore."

Daniela grinned. "Yes, I know. But you would still be my friend. Besides, you should not worry about me. I am well settled here. The dowager queen is so kind to me, and I have Lynette and Marie, and even Paulina takes good care of me."

Nicole laughed. Paulina was not the most pleasant to be around, but no one could deny she did her duty well.

"And I have Charles, now." Daniela blushed to use his first name.

"Yes, you certainly do!" Nicole grabbed a cushion and hit Daniela playfully.

"Treason! I am your queen!" Daniela reached for a pillow of her own and bopped Nicole on the head. Soon the two were laughing cheerfully.

"Stay here tonight, won't you? We can pretend it's our old room in the convent," Daniela said.

"With the drafty window and that squeaky door? Ah yes, I remember it fondly." Nicole threw herself back on the bed.

Daniela smiled impishly. "I can open up the window for you if it makes you more comfortable."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

931 112 11
In a world where running the kingdom is the most important thing, Nicollette Terilow could care less. She didn't care about the fancy dresses or the...
97.7K 3.2K 40
The young princess Isabelle, oldest of the royal family, discovers that her life is about to overturn. Being crowned Queen, following the death of he...
596K 20.6K 31
Princess Eva is a hopeless romantic and has always dreamed of falling in love. The problem is, in the royal family marriages are always arranged for...
44.3K 1.8K 60
"You need to understand this." He stepped closer, "I'm going to protect you Seraphina. Now and forever. Even if you choose to leave. You're someone I...