The Queen of Aramdeau

By K_B_Fletcher

Daniela becomes engaged to the King of Aramdeau, but will it be enough to preserve the peace between their co... More

Chapter 1: Charles, King of Aramdeau
Chapter 2: Daniela of Brasador
Chapter 3: Kernwith Abbey
Chapter 4: Charles' Decade
Chapter 5: Ternhaligon Castle
Chapter 6: The Dowager Queen
Chapter 7: A Ride in the Forest
Chapter 8: In the Sight and Care
Chapter 9: The Town of Greenholde
Chapter 10: Tournament
Chapter 11: Departures
Chapter 13: Customs and Gifts
Chapter 14: Queen Regent
Chapter 15: Your Impatient Husband
Chapter 16: A Small Deception
Chapter 17: On the Northwestern Coast
Chapter 18: A Letter from Home
Chapter 19: Rest
Chapter 20: The Eastern Border
Chapter 21: A Day in Winter
Author's Note and Thank You

Chapter 12: Write to Me

13 1 1
By K_B_Fletcher

"I'm sure you know that in Brasador, taxes are paid from the individual directly to the crown. Here in Aramdeau, the noble ruler of each region is responsible for the collection of taxes, and may choose to do so however he sees fit," Queen Imelda said.

"In the Northwest Duchy, I remember that landowners paid a fraction of their grain in taxes, and another fraction to the church." Daniela replied, pouring over a collection of great books in Imelda's sitting room. For the last two weeks since Charles rode north, Imelda had been teaching her more detailed statecraft than she'd been able to learn at Kernwith Abbey.

"Yes, most regions have more or less the same system, but those with port cities choose to focus on taxing imports, or choose to collect a wider variety of goods as payment."

"Doesn't this allow nobles to keep taxes for themselves? In Brasador, nobles can only profit from their personal land, not the entire region they rule."

"Yes, some profit greatly by collecting more taxes than they need. But in years when they cannot collect enough from the people to pay the crown, they are required to pay out of their own coffers. Beyond that, Aram nobles use tax funds to maintain and fund their own military forces. In Brasador, regional armies are all directly controlled by King Solanio."

"If they have their own militaries, isn't there a concern that a region will turn against the king?" Daniela asked.

"Well, it has happened before." Imelda shuffled through the books and pulled out a broad history book. She flipped through and placed strips of ribbon between some of the pages. "Why don't you read these sections before we meet again? Each time such a thing has happened, it has failed. But we must understand why they chose to turn against the reigning king to prevent it from happening again." She handed the book over to Daniela and smiled. "That is more than enough for today."

Daniela thanked her and took the book. She knew it must not be easy for Imelda to be helping her right now, but hopefully it gave her some distraction. Imelda carried herself with dignity, but Daniela knew she was worried for her son.

When Daniela returned to her chambers, a letter was waiting for her on her desk. She tore the wax seal off. At last, it was from Charles.

After their argument, Daniela had been overwhelmed with embarrassment and anger. She thought that confronting him was the right thing to do, but it went nothing how she expected, and the whole conversation probably made everything worse. She had been worried about how to face him after that, but he was suddenly called to war, and she never got the chance. He did not even come back to their bed.

They only spoke again once right before he left. Knights, archers, infantry, and squires had gathered in the field outside the castle gates, and were beginning the slow march north. Charles looked like a different person in his breastplate and dark chainmail.

"I have told the council that if I cannot be reached for any urgent matters, you are to be considered regent," Charles said soberly. "In all likelihood nothing will happen; just be prepared." He tightened the leather straps on his wrists. "Thomas and his guard will be staying here."

He looked like he wanted to say something else, then grabbed Daniela's hand.

"You will write to me, won't you?" he said earnestly. "I mean, I'll have to write first so I can tell you how to reach me, but then, will you?"

"Yes, I will," was all Daniela managed to say. Charles said farewell and rode off.

Now, two weeks later, the long awaited letter had finally arrived.

Dear Daniela,

We have finally made camp on the northwestern coast. You will hear all the details later in my letter to the council, but we have fought twice already with additional ships attempting to land. I do not know who these forces are or where they come from. It is like they have unlimited men and weapons no matter how many we take down. At least for now, their forward momentum has stopped.

Duke Pearson's army suffered a great deal of casualties before we arrived. I cannot help but be reminded of the Strife given by God at the beginning of the world, but now I struggle to understand its purpose. I only wish I had left sooner. Perhaps some of this could have been avoided.

How does my mother fare? She can take statecraft very seriously, I hope she is not too demanding in your studies. I am writing to her after this, I will ask her not to treat you like she did me. All those hours of reading...

Please tell me everything you are up to, even if it is nothing at all. The camp is comfortable enough, but I find myself longing to hear anything at all about the castle. I am sorry to have left you alone so soon after your arrival in a new place. Not that I am well-known for making diverting company.

Many of the men in the army are musicians, and some nights they play around the fire. They play many songs that I had never heard before. When I get back, I will ask the court musicians to play them for you to hear.

Sincerely,

Charles

On the back of the parchment were instructions on where to direct her reply, and a short postscript.

When I started to write this letter, I thought it best to act like nothing had happened between us. Now I find I cannot send this without saying something about our last discussion. I am sorry for the way I spoke to you on that day. I invited you to speak freely and then reacted out of pride. I hope my words have not discouraged you from speaking openly in the future.

Daniela found Charles more forthcoming in writing than he was in speech. She was relieved to read his apology, although part of her wished he would say more on the matter. But there was nothing that could be done now that he was away, and hearing about the war being fought made their disagreement feel petty and unimportant.

Whenever they had spoken, Duke Pearson made Daniela feel uncomfortable, and truthfully she had been glad to see him go. She reproached herself now for feeling that way, and wished the whole thing had never happened. How wretched it must be there. Who could these raiders be? Were they pirates, easily scared off, or a more serious invasion?

She pulled out some paper and ink and started to write, but heard a clatter in the shared bedroom. She jumped up and pushed open the door.

"Pardon me, Your Majesty, I didn't know you were here." It was a servant girl. She had knocked the heavy fire poker onto the hearth.

"It's alright, you don't have to stop what you're doing," Daniela said, but the girl was already curtsying and hurrying for the door.

'Please, wait! Stop!" Daniela called.

The maid did as she was asked. "Do you need anything, Your Majesty?"

"No, just... tell me your name."

"My name?"

Daniela nodded.

"My name is Anne, milady, Anne Porthos."

"It is nice to meet you Anne. I did not have any servants when I lived at the Abbey, so it is a little hard to get used to. There are so many here, but I do not know any of them."

Anne just looked at her with a mildly uninterested expression.

"Never mind that. Do not let me keep you from what you're doing. Good day." Daniela left and closed the shared door completely so that Anne might not feel the need to leave.

She sat back down at the writing desk and penned her letter.

Dear Sir,

I am grateful to hear that you have completed your journey, and pray for your continued safety. Everyone here remains safe and well, and hopes for your swift return.

She never lets on, but I know that Queen Imelda is worried for you. I have never met someone with more grace in such a situation. Her attitude and strength guides the mood of the whole castle. I do not mind telling you that I admire her very much.

She must have been much stricter in your studies than she is with mine! We focus mostly on the topics that interest me, and there are not too many hours of reading. Besides, I have always enjoyed studying history. The tax policies of each region can be a little dull, but that would be true no matter who was instructing me.

I have also read some of the books from the shelves in my room. Mostly light reads. You might laugh at me, but right now I am reading 'Faery Stories for Children.' I rarely got to read this sort of thing when I was young. How I wish I had! They are delightful. I do not know how anyone could come up with such ideas.

I am also practicing my riding. I intend to be exceptionally proficient by the time you return. At first I thought I would keep it a secret and shock you with my improvement, but you asked me to tell you everything I am up to, and if I leave that out my days might seem dull. Lynette, one of my ladies-in-waiting, is a skilled rider, and has been my principal teacher. You might remember that she attended many of the hunts after the wedding. She teaches well, but I suspect she grows impatient with my slow progress. Riding comes much more naturally for Nicole than for me. Seeing her now, you would not believe that she and I began learning on the same day.

I was reminded just now of my maid when I was growing up in Brasador, Gianna. She cared for me very much. I missed her often at the Abbey, but I did not think I could write to her. Now I wonder if I could, or if it has been too long. I am not even sure if I would know how to reach her. Is it strange for the Aram queen to write to a maid in Brasador?

There has been no music in the castle since the army left. When you come home, we will have to ask the musicians to play for three days straight to make up for it.

So, has this letter done its job, and reminded you a little of the castle? You asked for the mundane, and I have delivered my finest ramblings. All I ask is that you stay safe and write quickly.

Sincerely,

Daniela

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 68.4K 63
*Book 2 in the Soulmates Series* After Malekh's startling revelation about the deal he'd made with Ashton, Elizabeth's blossoming relationship seems...
7.1K 455 20
What would you do if you spent the perfect day with someone in a deserted park? What if for you it was love at first sight? What if that special pers...
471K 25.7K 31
[COMPLETED] It all seemed to be a fairy tale ending to Princess Elizabeth. She had found a wonderful family, she lived in a beautiful castle, and she...
595K 20.5K 31
Princess Eva is a hopeless romantic and has always dreamed of falling in love. The problem is, in the royal family marriages are always arranged for...