The Queen of Aramdeau

By K_B_Fletcher

Daniela becomes engaged to the King of Aramdeau, but will it be enough to preserve the peace between their co... More

Chapter 1: Charles, King of Aramdeau
Chapter 2: Daniela of Brasador
Chapter 3: Kernwith Abbey
Chapter 4: Charles' Decade
Chapter 5: Ternhaligon Castle
Chapter 6: The Dowager Queen
Chapter 7: A Ride in the Forest
Chapter 8: In the Sight and Care
Chapter 9: The Town of Greenholde
Chapter 10: Tournament
Chapter 12: Write to Me
Chapter 13: Customs and Gifts
Chapter 14: Queen Regent
Chapter 15: Your Impatient Husband
Chapter 16: A Small Deception
Chapter 17: On the Northwestern Coast
Chapter 18: A Letter from Home
Chapter 19: Rest
Chapter 20: The Eastern Border
Chapter 21: A Day in Winter
Author's Note and Thank You

Chapter 11: Departures

12 1 1
By K_B_Fletcher

The day arrived when their last guests would be leaving the castle. The Brasadoran party was one of the last to go, and Charles had to see them off. He was not eager to do it, since he knew now that Daniela's family had treated her poorly in her youth, and he suspected that it had been even worse than what she had told him.

Thankfully, Crown Prince Frederico had spent most of his stay out of the way. Whether he was just off drinking and gambling, Charles couldn't say, and frankly, he did not care to know. In passing, Frederico bore a resemblance to Daniela, with their dark hair and bright eyes, but in both looks and temperament, that was where the similarities ended. Daniela's expressions were reserved, though her feelings were sometimes betrayed by the rosiness of her cheeks. Frederico was never afraid to let the world know how displeased he was, and he was frequently displeased. Where Daniela was conscientious, her brother was brash. Charles had no siblings of his own to compare to, but he could not have imagined it possible for two people so closely related to be so different.

"Well, little brother, I'm sure you'll be glad to see the backs of us," Frederico said in front of his carriage.

Charles grimaced at the address. "Not at all, I am pleased you were able to stay with us for so long."

"Come now, a fortnight is nothing when you're among family."

"I pray your travels are safe and comfortable."

"Oh, you pray, do you?" Frederico's words dripped with contempt. "I am glad you are a religious man; that will be pleasing to my pious little sister." His friends laughed with him, and Charles said nothing. Frederico wanted to get a rise out of him. "I hope that little nun will treat you well. I have heard that the most saint-like women become the most-"

He was cut off by the urgent arrival of a messenger on horseback. If he had not been, Charles might have struck him, and let the whole treaty be damned.

"Forgive me, Your Majesty, I was told that this message could not wait."

"Where do you ride from?" Charles asked the horseman, ignoring his brother-in-law who was climbing sulkily into the carriage.

"From the northwest, from Duke Pearson," the messenger said, then corrected himself. "From the former duke, I mean."

"Thank you." Charles said, then turned back to Frederico. "Excuse me, I must see to this at once. Have a pleasant journey." He walked back into the castle without waiting for a response.

Your Majesty,

Ten ships have been spotted off the coast. We suspect them to be coastal raiders. I request my son return home at once.

Lazarus Pearson

Charles reread the note from his uncle as he stood in the castle's entryway, then walked quickly to his study. A few years ago, his uncle's poor health led him to step down as duke in the Northwest Duchy and leave the position to his son, Leo. But Lazarus Pearson was still a trusted advisor to Charles, so he did not take these words lightly. If his uncle thought the ships posed a serious threat, then that was likely the truth.

Charles opened the study door to find his cousin waiting for him.

"Leo, you must have heard."

"Yes, I just received word from my father. I'd like to leave by tonight."

"At least go in the morning. It will take you a few days to get there regardless, and we can prepare more supplies for you to bring."

Leo shook his head. "You know my father, if he'd wanted me to come tomorrow, he'd have said so. It must be quite urgent."

"You're probably right, but I still don't like the sound of it."

"I'll go on horseback with no more supplies than what I need to get there. If we need anything, I'll write to you. I promise."

Charles sighed. "Very well. But I will send the supplies behind you whether you send word or not. Regardless, you must write as soon as you can."

Leo smiled. "Thank you, you know I will."

They shook hands and Leo left quickly to prepare for his journey. Charles called in servants to notify the other councilors of the development, and to ask the kitchens to pack him food for the journey.

That evening, Charles found himself once again seeing someone off in front of the castle gates. Leo and two knights were mounted on horseback and wore warm cloaks. Charles handed a rolled letter up to Leo.

"For your father," he said. Leo tucked the letter into his cloak and spurred his horse into a gallop.

Charles turned back to the castle, and saw that Daniela was watching from a distance with her ladies Nicole and Lynette. He was surprised to see her there; she had not come out that morning to see her brother. Although, she and Leo had seemed friendly with one another.

"My lady," Charles said, walking up to them. "I should have informed you of what was going on. Duke Pearson has been summoned home to deal with some coastal raiders."

"Yes, there has been a lot of commotion, and news travels quickly." Daniela replied. "Kernwith Abbey is in the Northwest Duchy. That is where Duke Pearson is from, is it not?"

"Ah, there is no danger in that part of the region. The ships have not landed yet, and when they do it will likely be further to the north," Charles said, trying to reassure her.

"I am relieved to hear that." Daniela drew her shawl around herself and went back inside. Charles admired her concern for her old home and friends, but a stubborn thought nagged at him. Leo was... popular, to say the least. Charles trusted Daniela and Leo not to act on such an interest if they felt it, but he was agitated by the mere idea that she might feel it.

Days passed without news from the coast. There was little that could be done, but Charles prepared what he could in case the situation worsened. Leo Pearson was a capable commander, and in all likelihood could manage the situation alone.

Nights became increasingly awkward between Charles and Daniela. He knew what she expected of him, but he could not bring himself to do it, not without knowing that she truly wanted to. Did Daniela even like him? She treated him with respect, certainly, and politeness that could be called friendliness. To Charles, that said more about her character than how she actually felt about him.

One afternoon, Daniela came to see Charles in his study. She was visibly nervous, and struggled to begin what she came to say.

"Your Majesty, forgive me for bringing this up in this manner."

"Whatever it may be, you can speak freely," Charles said with a smile.

"Do you not... do you not mean to lie with me?" She managed to meet his eyes, and held his gaze with resolve.

Charles froze for a moment. He should not have been surprised that she had brought up the matter, but that did not mean he was prepared to respond.

Finally Charles said, "Well...yes, but there is no hurry to do so. Especially when you are not... when we are... I mean, you are still quite young."

"We are the same age."

"Fine, then we are both quite young. There is no rush to-"

"The treaty depends not just on our marriage, but on us having children," Daniela said, more assuredly than before. "If something were to happen to one of us, peace is only guaranteed if we have a child."

"You mean, if one of us were to be killed." Charles raised his voice more than he intended. "I understand the danger I have put you in with this marriage. I understand that there are those who would stop at nothing for it to fail. But if I did not think that I could protect you, I never would have done it. And if you were really in such great danger, then our child would be in the same danger."

She was clearly getting frustrated with him. "It is our duty, both for the sake of the treaty and as the King and Queen of Aramdeau. I cannot understand why-"

"Yes, thank you for reminding me of my duty." He was nearly yelling. "I am glad to know it is such a trivial matter for you, and I'll be sure to bed you at your earliest convenience."

Daniela stormed out of the room.

Charles dropped his head in his hands. How could he have spoken to her in that way? He was used to staying level-headed, whether he was speaking with thieves or rebels or nobles. It could not have been easy for her to bring it up with him, and what made it worse was that she was right. Why couldn't he explain himself properly?

A firm knock on the door shook Charles from his thoughts. A servant handed him a letter; it was news from the Northwest Duchy.

Your Majesty,

The raiders made landfall in the north and established a foothold. Our troops are not enough to keep them at bay. Coastal farms and villages have been razed. There were at least twice as many ships as we first thought.

We request aid in any form you can provide. I fear the forces will progress if you do not send additional troops and weapons.

I regret that I failed to lead our forces to victory.

Your Cousin, Duke Leo Pearson

Charles bade the servant summon the council at once, then took out a quill to write a reply. He would lead the army to the north himself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71 6 25
Thérèse lived a fairly normal life in the kingdom of Argence. She had friends, family, and a secret place she would sneak out to at night. One night...
7.1K 455 20
What would you do if you spent the perfect day with someone in a deserted park? What if for you it was love at first sight? What if that special pers...
167 20 19
Aurora, Princess of Alderidge, is a peaceful girl. She loves life and enjoys her life as a royal. She is the epitome of princess. Her routine was alm...
8.2K 1.2K 31
The king's magnificent palace was built in a matter of weeks. No one saw the builders, no villagers are allowed beyond the gilded gate, and only one...