A missing piece... The other...

By 3HaNaNa3

Salvatore Smith meets a woman with whom he shared few nights after loosing his wife. It was 12 years ago, sh... More

Characters
Chapter 1 - Fumiko Tanaka...
Chapter 2 - Make a choice...
Chapter 3 - I am your father...
Chapter 4 - Strangers...
Chapter 5 - Give me a chance...
Chapter 6 - She was murdered...
Chapter 7 - Time to say Goodbye...
Chapter 8 - Make your choice...
Chapter 9 - One day after another...
Chapter 10 - New School...
Chapter 11 - New friend...
Chapter 12 - Where is Suki???
Chapter 13 - Onii-san...
Chapter 14 - School bully...
Chapter 15 - Otรด-san...
Chapter 16 - Normal days...
Chapter 17 - A day with you...
Chapter 18 - Paparazzi...
Chapter 19 - Takeshiro Tanaka...
Chapter 20 - Happy birthday Mom...
Chapter 21 - Unexpected visit...
Chapter 22 - Gianni's training...
Chapter 23 - Weird...
Chapter 24 - Fight at school...
Chapter 26 - Uncle's attack...
Chapter 27 - Feelings...
Chapter 28 - Long night...
Chapter 29 - Mr Rossi...
Chapter 30 - The package...
Chapter 31 - Back to school...

Chapter 25 - Valentina...

1.7K 98 14
By 3HaNaNa3

After that Japanese's guys words, Davide stayed silent few seconds. He couldn't believe that this man had been able to find his number and that he had the guts to call him to propose, with a barely hidden motive, to kill his niece. Davide started to record the call.

Kenshiro Tanaka: Are you so shocked that you lost that sharp tongue of yours?

Davide: Kind of... you don't receive calls everydays from someone proposing to kill a little girl...

Kenshiro Tanaka: I understand... but as you say, she is just a girl, nothing more for you... so, I am sure, that behind that rude behavior that you like to show, you will be glad to have someone taking rid of her for you!

Suki's image came in Davide's mind. He hated her since he found out about her existence. He tried to make her leave his house, threatening her, to reach his goal, but today, was he ready to make her kill?  He had to stop short to the conversation because Gianni came outside with one of his friends.

Davide: I'm not alone right now, why don't we contact each other later...

Kenshiro Tanaka: I was sure that we had a common interest. Just give me the opportunity and your problem will be solved!

Davide: Sure... (He smirked.) I will keep you updated this weekend! (He cut the call.)

Gianni's friend: A girl... I guess... (He handed a cigarette to him.)

Davide: Not really... but still an interesting call...

Gianni: Who was it if not a girl? Your smirk is suspicious. (He took the cigarette from Davide's mouth and crushed it.)

Davide: I will tell you soon enough... I'm going back inside... as Mr Muscle is not letting me enjoying life!

Gianni: Shut up!

Davide joined Vito inside, but he kept the call secret from him.

The night passed quickly. Contrary to her habits, Suki didn't wake up early. The tiredness of the week and the events of the previous day took a lot of her energy. Adding the movie, she watched with her brothers and the pain killers she took for her painful black-eye, she emerged from Dreamland around 10.30am. It was not usual for her, even her Dad stopped by her bedroom around 10.00 am, as he didn't see her coming for breakfast.

Salvatore: Good morning, Suki, did you sleep well?

Suki: Good morning Otô-san..., yes, sorry, it's late...

Salvatore: Why are you apologizing? Does my daughter have an important appointment that she missed? (He smiled when she shook her head.) No, right? You needed to sleep more, you did it, that's all. You put too much pressure on you, you're just a child.

What do you want for breakfast?

Suki: I can prepare it myself, don't worry.

Salvatore: I am sure you can, but I would like to prepare it for you... even if my cooking abilities are not those of Aldo, I'm not that bad.

Suki installed herself at the kitchen counter and Salvatore prepared, as asked by his daughter, a fruits salad. She thought about something simple, not wanting to bother him. He decided to add few pancakes, knowing that even if she didn't eat them, his sons would not let them go to waste.

The little girl thanked him with a bright smile and Salvatore smiled back in return. He tried to not show her that seeing her injured face was still very annoying for him.

Suki: Thank you..., your dinner last night went well with Miss Valentina? She must have been happy to spend time with you.

Salvatore: It was just a working dinner. I came back home just after you went to sleep.

Suki: With Gabriel and Dante... we watched a Disney movie.

Salvatore: My daughter can make her two oldest brothers watch that type of movie on Friday night... you already gained your places on their heart... even that iceberg of Dante.

Dante entered the kitchen, looking for his father.

Dante: Me, an iceberg? Can I know why you are talking so badly about me like that in my back? (Suki looked at him.) Is it you?

Suki: No...

Salvatore: It's my point of view... you are not the warmest guy in this house!

Dante: I prefer to be seen as an iceberg than a marshmallow! You are soft enough with that kid, no?

Salvatore: That kid is my daughter, isn't it normal?

Dante: I don't remember you being so soft with us... (He stared at Suki with an intense gaze.) Are you a witch, hypnotizing people with those eyes??? (He smirked at her silence, and she blushed.)

Salvatore: Stop teasing your little sister, she is believing every word coming from you.

Dante: Just as I said... way too naïve... (He sat next to her and took a piece of fruit from her plate.) In addition to be a cold heart person, I steal kids' food... such a bad guy... please, someone, call the police!

Suki was astonished by Dante's attitude this morning. She didn't understand him, and his way of thinking. Did he find funny to tease her? She thought that he hated her deeply, so why acting like that?

Salvatore: Dante, seriously? You're 27...

Suki: If you want to eat more, we... can share... (She tried to talk with assurance.)... I mean... If you want...

Dante: I am not hungry... but thanks... and frankly speaking, you need to eat more than... to feed that small body... it's time for you to grow up a little, no?

Suki: I'm growing...

Dante: From where? Your hair?! (He chuckled.)

Salvatore: (He shook his head.) Dante... you didn't come here for eating, so, what do you want? Except making fun of an 11 years old girl, of course.

Dante: (In Italian.) It's about the old man who wants to take away your dear daughter... you remember?

Salvatore: Suki, finish your breakfast, I need to check somethings with your brother.

Suki smiled at her father and the two men left, Dante grabbing another piece of fruits before leaving the room.

The little girl finished her breakfast alone then she went to the garden for a walk. She saw two bodyguards going to the little house, she thought, probably at her father's request.

Feeling the rays of sun on her face made her feel energized for the day. Her homework were done, and she was thinking about what to do today. She sat on the garden bench, and she started to think to her mother. On day like this, she was missing her a lot.

She thought about what her mother would have feel in that beautiful garden. They could have prepared a picnic and watched all the different species of flowers together, picking some of them to create a nice bouquet.

Enzo: Hey... what are you doing here alone?

Suki: (She looked up and saw Enzo who just came back.) Just taking a bath sun...

Enzo: You're bored? It's the weekend, don't you have friends to meet?

Suki: My only friend at school is Haru...

Enzo: And you are not confident to ask him to hang out with you, I guess? You can invite him here if you prefer, after asking Dad the permission, of course.

Suki: With everyone?

Enzo: (He sat nonchalantly near her.) Yeah, why not? Is it a problem if your brothers are at home whit your friend coming?

Suki: You are all too impressive...

Enzo: (He chuckled.) If your friend behaves correctly with you, he has nothing to fear about...

Suki: Haru is a very kind friend.

Enzo: (He patted her head and stood up.) I don't think that we have the same thing in mind but that's good... I'm going to sleep!

Suki: At this hour?

Enzo: I stayed up all night... See you!

The young man went inside and after a quick stop by the fridge, he went to sleep for the rest of the afternoon.

After the exchange with her brother, Suki hadn't decided on what to do. She will not stay in the garden the entire day and there was nowhere she could go by feet near the house. She was going back inside when her father and Dante came out of the garden house. They had finished their improvised meeting.

Salvatore: Suki, were you looking for me?

Suki: Ah no, I was just enjoying the nice weather.

Salvatore: Do you want to do something special? I have some free time today; I can take you wherever you want. You always stay at home quietly. Don't you want to do shopping, just like girls of your age? (They walked to the living room.)

Suki: I have everything necessary already, it's fine, but thank you.

Salvatore: I am not so sure about that... thinking about it, we didn't buy you new clothes since you joined us, yours must be small now.

Suki: No, Gabriel bought a lot ... it hasn't been that long...

Dante: And it's not like she grew up an inch...

Suki stared at Dante for long seconds. He was, once again, mocking on her appearance with no reason. Salvatore found his son's reaction interesting and his daughter's reaction cute.

Salvatore: Let's do that... your father wants to buy you something and invite you to a nice restaurant.

Suki: Really?

Salvatore: Yes, Gabriel is not the only one allowed to go out with you, right?

Suki: No... of course no... (He smiled.)... if you want to go out... (She followed her father and noticed Dante following them.)... You are coming too?

Dante: Yes, why? I can not?

Suki: No, no... I don't mean that... it's just... it's...

Dante: Stop stressing for nothing... I'm not going out with you... (He smirked.)... I'm going with Dad... so, move! (He lightly pushed her on her back.)... Don't mind me... go ahead!

Suki, who was not completely sure about her father's idea to go shopping at first, was now totally sure that it was not a good idea. She felt awkward, sitting near Dante in the car; she was so small next to him. Her father was in front of her in that big expensive van, looking at something on his phone. Fortunately for the little girl, the drive was not too long, the silence being a bit stressful.

Salvatore: We arrived? Sorry, a last-minute thing to deal with.

Suki: Are you sure that you don't have to work?

Salvatore: Sure, don't worry... and I was the one proposing to come here. Dante, where should we start? You know that mall more than me.

Dante: I don't know what she needs... the girls that I take here don't wear the same type of clothes than a kid like her!

Suki: I... really don't need any more clothes...

Salvatore: What about shoes? I'm sure that Gabriel didn't think about buy that for you! Dante, take us to the best shoes shop!

Dante: I guess they will have a kid's corner.

The Smith walked through the luxurious mall, followed by the two men in charge of their security, few steps behind.

Dante took them to a well-known brand, and they were taking in charge by the manager of the shop. The female vendor was very kind with Suki, making her comfortable. She helped her to choose a pair of cute boots, a simple flat pair of shoes and advised her where to find sneakers that can suit her.

One of the bodyguards took the bag and they went to the second shop. A male vendor welcomed them and showed the little girl different models. Suki asked her father for his opinion, and they found a pretty one.

Dantehadn't planned to buy something but, when in the shop, he let himself tempt andbought 3 pairs of Jordan.

Suki: Thank you so much Otô-san... but please, don't buy anything else!

Salvatore: Alright, I guess that's enough for today. (He looked at his expensive Rolex.) It's already 2.00pm, let's have lunch, I think there is a nice French restaurant here. Dante?

Dante: Sir, yes Sir... please follow your humble guide today!

Salvatore shook his head while Suki chuckled at her brother's dramatic answer. She noticed that he liked to be sarcastic, not only with her but their father or older brother too.

They arrived at the restaurants' floor and, unexpectedly, they met with Valentina and her secretary. The young woman didn't hide her smile at the view of her boyfriend.

Valentina Rossi: Salvatore, what a nice surprise to see you here?! Are you looking for a place to have lunch? Me too! What a good coincidence... it's destiny! We can have lunch together.

Dante: (He mumbled.)... It's misfortune yeah... (Suki stared at him and he blinked, making her smile.)

Salvatore: Hum..., yes, we thought about having a French lunch. Suki, are you okay to share a table with Valentina?

Suki: Yes, of course...

Salvatore: Well, let's go inside.

Valentina would have preferred to have lunch only with Salvatore but for the sake of her couple, she put a fake smile on her face.

Valentina's secretary stayed outside with the two bodyguards while Salvatore smiled to Suki, with his hand in his daughter's back to guide her to their table. Valentina sat next to him, Dante taking the seat opposite to his father, near his little sister.

Valentina Rossi: It's rare that you are not busy with your work on Saturday... I am lucky to see you today, even by hazard...

Salvatore: We had dinner together last night.

Valentina Rossi: It was for work. If you have free time, you know that I can easily make myself available for you! (She had a seductive voice and put her hand on his forearm.)

Salvatore: Probably, but my children come first.

Valentina Rossi: You mean your daughter... I don't see your boys, except you Dante, of course.

Salvatore: Young adults have their own busy life...

Dante was not interested by the discussion between his father and Valentina, so he called the waitress and passed the order for him and Suki, knowing that she wouldn't know what to choose.

Then, Salvatore ordered for his girlfriend and himself. The couple continued to talk about random things. Suki listened without interrupting them while Dante showed his annoyance by playing on his phone. When the waitress brought their drinks, he put his phone on the table and engaged the conversation with Suki, surprising her.

Dante: Does your eye still hurt a lot?

Suki: No..., it's better... but still black and swollen..., so I prefer to put the eye patch... It's less embarrassing for everyone...

Dante: Why do you care about what people think?!

Suki: I don't like their gazes on me...

Valentina Rossi: That's right... Why is she wearing this?

Salvatore: An... accident with Gianni...

ValentinaRossi: Anaccident as in he beat her?

Valentina was not showing emotions and it annoyed Salvatore and Dante. Suki didn't want her brother to be misunderstood.

Suki: No, no..., it really was an accident... we were... training...

Salvatore: Valentina, we don't hit women or kids!

Dante: (He put down his drink slowly.) Unless... they touch to our family...

Dante kept his piercing gaze on Valentina's one while stating that. The young woman stared at Suki few seconds before crossing her arm with Salvatore's one, changing her attitude for a girly one.

Valentina Rossi: I know that you don't do that... I was just joking... Gianni is not the most tender... more a tough one, always exercising or fighting just for sports! And what kind of training? (She looked at Suki.) You too, you want to become a fighter... (She laughed, with a mocking tone.)

Suki: No... (She blushed, embarrassed.)

Dante: (He mumbled.) Such a bit**...

Salvatore: Gianni was only teaching his little sister some self defense movements... and please, Valentina, be careful of your attitude. A child could not understand that you are joking... (His tone was cold to warn the young woman.) You understand?

Valentina Rossi: Salvatore, I am sure that your dear daughter is a smart girl... I always heard that Asian people are smarter...

Once again, Valentina had a judgmental and racist comment about Suki and her origins. Salvatore was really close to send her away, but the waiters arrived with the plates.

Salvatore: Let's eat...

Suki: Euh Dante... isn't it too much food... (She asked at the view of all the things he ordered for them.)

Dante: That's only delicious dishes, so eat a bit of everything!

Salvatore: You can try different dishes and find out which ones you prefer... as it is your first time in a French restaurant, it's an excellent idea from your brother.

Suki: (She smiled at Dante.) Okay... thank you...

Dante: Hum... eat now... It's way past lunch time and I'm starving!

Valentina Rossi: Salvatore, you don't want wine?

Salvatore: Not today, I'm good with my soft drink, thank you.

The rest of the lunch went well. Valentina talked only with Salvatore. Suki was a child; she didn't dare to interfer with the adults' conversation while Dante didn't care at all. The young man was mostly busy putting food in Suki's plate, forcing her to eat more and more. Once again, a strange behavior that the little girl didn't know how to interpret. 

Valentina Rossi: What do you plan to do after lunch? There is a nice coffee shop at the top of the building...

Salvatore: I don't know. Suki, what do you want to do next?

Suki: I don't know...

Dante: You don't plan on following us everywhere?!

Valentina Rossi: Why not? You can see that as a family outing!

Dante: I don't remember you being part of our family!

Valentina Rossi: (She smiled.) I will soon become your step-mother, don't you think that it is normal to spend time together? When I will live with you, I hope more respect from all of you!

At Valentina's statement, Suki looked at her for long seconds. Dante, him, frowned. That woman was delusional. There was no way they would accept her presence in the house... even that stupid marriage story was about to collapse. Salvatore was silent, watching his daughter's reaction, already knowing what his sons thought about that relationship.  

Dante: You will have to wait for a very long time... (He smirked while taking Suki's juice to drink a sip of it.)... because what you are imagining will never happen... right, Dad?

Valentina Rossi : What does it mean? (Her tone was showing her annoyance.) Salvatore?!

Salvatore: It's not the right moment to talk about that.

Valentina Rossi : No, I think that it is the perfect moment!

Dante: I think so too! (He stood up.) Dad, it's time to put that useless bit** at her place! (He grabbed Suki's arm and made her stand up.) I'm taking the kid home... have fun!

Suki didn't understand what was going on. She felt herself being lifted up and dragged outside under her father's concerned gaze. But the head of the family didn't object and let her leave with Dante. Valentina was fuming and she tried to kept a composed face. Salvatore had a cold expression as soon as his children left. The discussion that would put a final point to his relationship with Valentina Rossi was about to start.

In the alley of the mall, Dante let go of Suki's arm but kept his hand in her back to make her walk toward the parking lot. They were followed by one of the bodyguard, the other one staying with Salvatore.

Suki: Dante... Father, he...

Dante: Dad needs to clean his shit with that... woman. We are going home first, don't mind him!

Suki: No but!

Dante: Do you want to have that bit** living in our house? Are you not done to be treated like shit by someone like her? She disrespects you and you look down! Are you stupid?!

Dante's words were abrupt and tough. Suki stopped and she had her shining eyes locked on her brother's dark eyes. 

Dante: Stop staring at me like that! Move forward!

Suki: Why... why do you care about how she talks to me... you don't like me either... 

Suki was surprised by her own courage, to speak up, and Dante was a bit taken aback too. That little girl, that was barely tall enough to reach under his chest, was staring at him with an intense gaze.

Dante: Because... because my father cares! You want to make him sad by letting others mistreating you?! (She shook her head.) The fact that I like you or not will not change the fact that you are his daughter. Your name now is Smith, bear with it and wear it proudly!

Suki: Sorry...

Dante: You're such a pain in the ass sometimes! Since when kids have enough guts to talk back to an elder?!

Dante lightly pushed Suki's back to make her move. His attention was on the little girl during their exchange, and he was not paying that much attention at the visitors staring at them.

They reached the parking lot and waited few minutes that the car he asked to one of his men was brought. He had texted the bodyguard earlier at the restaurant. They sat in the back of the white car and his man drove. The siblings didn't exchange a word during the ride back.

*************************************************

Earlier in the morning, at home, there was one person who changed his sleeping habits, Davide. He woke up after a short night and went to see Gabriel in his bedroom. He needed to talk to him.

The previous day, when Davide came back from Gianni's club, his mind was preoccupied by the call from Tanaka Junior.

While his brothers directly went to sleep, he stayed a little in the kitchen with a beer. What will he decide? Was he merciless enough to become a monster, capable to offer his half sister to death?

Davide finished his beer and went upstairs, stopping by Suki's bedroom. He entered and found her sound asleep, hugging one of her plushies. She was defenseless but also harmless. She was just an 11 years old girl after all. He quietly observed her a moment before leaving silently.

Gabriel: What were you doing in Suki's bedroom?! (He was in the corridor, going to take water.) Davide?

Davide: I didn't do anything to her...

Gabriel: She is sleeping since a long ago and it's not like you two are close, you barely talk with her, so why are you here?

Davide: I guess I drunk too much... I was just checking if all of this was real or my imagination... goodnight...

Gabriel was not convinced by his little brother's explanation. When Davide left the corridor to join the one with his bedroom, Gabriel checked if Suki was sleeping well, then he went to take water in the kitchen before heading back to sleep.

After a short night of thinking, Davide went to talk with his eldest brother, Gabriel. The young man welcomed Davide in his bedroom, both sat on the armchairs. After few seconds of silence, Davide explained his call with the son of Tanaka, making him listening to the recording. Gabriel felt disgusted, with a deep murder will.

Gabriel: I will kill him without mercy! (He sighed.) So, last night...

Davide: Honestly... last night, I questioned myself a lot... and... even if I will never recognize her as my sister... I am not a monster. So, how do you want to deal with him?

Gabriel: You want to be in? (Davide nodded and Gabriel smiled, proud.) Great, let's go!

Gabriel and Dante left for their HQ. The eldest had requested a special team to prepare a trap. When they were ready, Davide called Tanaka.

Davide: Tanaka... as promised, I'm calling back.

Kenshiro Tanaka: Thanks... but I will not need your help... a good occasion to get rid of that bastard came up... you will thank me later!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 23.1K 39
How can one event alter the course of your entire life? Going from living with her single beloved mother to flying across the country to live with he...
28.2K 768 19
Isabella Rose Ivy Valencia-Moretti, the only girl born in Italian Mafia family after so many generations. Not only she is the princess of Italian Maf...
Macrina By Maya F

General Fiction

73.3K 2.7K 62
"Honestly, I think you're really gonna like New York." "New York? Like New York City, New York?" "The one and only," my cousin grinned, taking a swig...
1.2M 29.2K 61
Evelyn Smith is a 15 year old girl who lives with her parents. She has been abused all her life by her parents, but still tries to find the good in b...