The Queen of Aramdeau

By K_B_Fletcher

Daniela becomes engaged to the King of Aramdeau, but will it be enough to preserve the peace between their co... More

Chapter 1: Charles, King of Aramdeau
Chapter 2: Daniela of Brasador
Chapter 3: Kernwith Abbey
Chapter 4: Charles' Decade
Chapter 5: Ternhaligon Castle
Chapter 6: The Dowager Queen
Chapter 7: A Ride in the Forest
Chapter 9: The Town of Greenholde
Chapter 10: Tournament
Chapter 11: Departures
Chapter 12: Write to Me
Chapter 13: Customs and Gifts
Chapter 14: Queen Regent
Chapter 15: Your Impatient Husband
Chapter 16: A Small Deception
Chapter 17: On the Northwestern Coast
Chapter 18: A Letter from Home
Chapter 19: Rest
Chapter 20: The Eastern Border
Chapter 21: A Day in Winter
Author's Note and Thank You

Chapter 8: In the Sight and Care

12 2 2
By K_B_Fletcher

Daniela woke long before she meant to and waited as patiently as she could by the window. Carts were already rolling up to the castle with flowers, food, mead and wine. Soon there would be carriages full of guests following the same road. When her patience ran out, she went ahead and bathed herself before the ladies-in-waiting arrived. She was sure they wouldn't mind.

Her ladies were matching in pale blue dresses trimmed with thin braids of silver thread. They carried the white fabric bundle with the wedding dress like it was a newborn. The silver and crystals were just as striking to see the second time. Two ladies lifted the dress over her head, and then closed up a long line of dainty buttons that ran all the way down her back. The neckline of the dress was wide; it rested just on the edge of her shoulder, scooped down across her chest, and up to the other shoulder. It was certainly heavy, but so well-fitted that it was not difficult to wear.

Daniela gasped when she saw herself in the mirror. It looked like magic; like her skin itself was made of glimmering, shattered glass that melted into a puddle on the floor.

Last night, Nicole and Marie had twisted Daniela's hair around little strips of fabric. Now they took the fabric out to reveal soft, bouncing curls. Carefully, Paulina took a section of hair from the crown of Daniela's head, leaving half of her hair down loose and leaving curls framing her face. She twisted this section and pinned it up, then covered it in a circle of silver netting. Lynette brought out another garment from the bundle; a shimmery, transparent veil that must have been at least ten feet long. They placed it carefully over Daniela's head so it covered her face and trailed behind her. The world looked gauzy and pale.

There was a private chapel in the back of the castle where the ceremony would take place. It was decorated from floor to ceiling with irises, violets, and white roses. As Daniela entered with her ladies-in-waiting filed behind her, she was met by the smiles of Queen Imelda and Baron Lansing, the cold judgment of her brother, and an indiscernible smirk from the blonde duke she had met the other day. At the altar beside the Archpriest, King Charles stood as proudly and properly as ever. His formal black doublet complete with silver-trimmed collar and cuffs, blue sash, sword, and heavy crown gave him an especially distinguished and sober air. But as Daniela reached him and they knelt before the priest, he gave her a private smile.

The Archpriest, dressed in long sandy robes, began the service with a resounding voice that filled the chapel. "In the sight and care of the Lord, we meet to join King Charles Ternhaligon of Aramdeau and Princess Daniela Khonadry of Brasador in blessed matrimony. First, we shall hear the record of our sacred creation." He opened a large, leather-bound bible, and began to read.

"The Lord God created the world and so loved the world. He created people to live upon the world. But the people knew only the good things of the world, and were ungrateful. And so the Lord God gave Strife to the world.

"The people cried, 'Oh Lord, why do you treat us so? Take away the Strife you have given us.' He knew that they would again become ungrateful, so he did not take away the Strife. The people cried again, 'Oh Lord, we will not be ungrateful. Take away the Strife you have given us.'

"God pitied the people, so he gave them Love. Then the people loved the good things of the world as God loved the good things, and the people loved one another as God loved the people."

It was a passage Daniela knew by heart, and it gave her some comfort to hear it now. She had seen many weddings at Kernwith Abbey. The creation story was commonly used, and she might have chosen it herself if she'd been the one to plan the service. The priest closed the bible and continued.

"Today we remember the gifts of our Lord God. He gave us the world, full of good things. He gave us inevitable Strife. And he gave us Love. The life that lies before you will be full of good things, as the world is. And it will have inevitable Strife, as the world does. To be grateful for good things and to overcome Strife, the people of the world needed Love. So too does the life that lies before you. I bid thee: love the Lord God when there are good things, and love the Lord God in times of Strife. So too I bid thee: love each other when there are good things, and love each other in times of Strife."

The Archpriest gazed down at the kneeling couple. "Will you both, under the watchful eye of our Lord the Creator, be bound by marriage, and love through all things?"

"I will," Charles said clearly.

"I will," Daniela said in turn.

"Please rise and exchange your final vow."

They both rose to their feet and faced each other. Calmly and resolutely, Charles said, "In the sight and care of the Lord, I thee wed."

Daniela repeated it after him without hesitating, hoping to sound as sure as he did. "In the sight and care of the Lord, I thee wed." She was a Brasadoran princess no more. Now and forever, she would be Daniela Ternhaligon, Queen of Aramdeau.

In the weddings of commoners that Daniela had been to, it was common to kiss at the end of the service. For nobility it was seen as uncouth and rarely done. She was glad of it. Of course she'd have to kiss him soon enough, but to do so publicly embarrassed her just to think of it. Even holding his hand as they walked back down the aisle made her cheeks redden.

They were met with cheers when they reached the great hall. Most of the guests had not been able to fit inside the chapel and were eagerly awaiting the newlyweds. Although Daniela knew almost none of them, the cheer was infectious. She smiled and waved, and saw Charles doing the same.

Daniela and Charles were to dance the first dance alone, and the music struck up right away. Charles slid his right hand out of hers and gingerly laid it on the middle of her back. Daniela rested her left arm on his right, and her free hand in his.

They could not dance quickly because of her dress. Even if they could, Daniela's experience dancing was limited, and they would have made a poor showing. The party-goers didn't care. There was too much excitement and fervor in the air to pay attention. The song ended quickly so that everyone could join in on the festivities. The couple were swarmed by strangers offering congratulations, and were soon separated.

"My Queen, will you spare me a dance?"

Daniela turned around to find Duke Pearson looking down at her with a half smile.

The first dance of Daniela's life had been just a moment ago. Was it was more appropriate to accept or to decline? She looked around for Marie or even Paulina, but they were nowhere to be seen. "Yes, of course, Duke, though I am not an accomplished dancer," seemed to be the right thing to say.

Luckily the song was a traditional air that even children knew the steps to, and it was not too fast. Still, Daniela spent the beginning just focused on her feet. She had not been much interested in dancing at the Abbey, although some girls would practice together. Dancing was a skill needed by those looking to attract a suitor; for her it was unnecessary.

"It's such a shame, don't you think?" Duke Pearson broke the silence as they moved around the floor.

"What is?"

"Your beauty. It is such a waste." He gave an overacted look of grief.

"What do you mean, sir? I do not understand you," Daniela said, taken aback.

"Now, now, don't mind my humor, Your Majesty. Do not take me seriously."

"Explain yourself, or speak no more of this."

"All I mean to say is that your fine looks could move the heart of any man you desire, but you were not given the chance to court. You could have anyone in the kingdom."

"Do you mean to say that I should set my sights higher than the king of this country? Does such a man exist? What nonsense."

"I speak not of rank and wealth. I speak of desire," he said, leaning as close as he dared. "You do not love Charles, I can see that plainly enough. And he does not love you."

Daniela could say nothing.

The duke continued, keeping his voice low. "My cousin is a good man. But he is not a romantic. He will never love you." To make his point, he nodded toward the side of the room, where the king was now standing alone. He seemed to be watching Daniela, and looked displeased. "Not the way you deserve to be loved."

Daniela's face burned hot. "I will not hear more of this impertinence. Thank you for the dance." She stepped back, a few bars before the dance was meant to end.

The duke smiled and bowed. "If I don't get to speak with you again tonight, sleep well, fair queen."

Daniela walked away with no particular destination in mind. She found herself surrounded by people she did not know. She thought to look around for Nicole, but instead saw Frederico across the room, coming her way.

She turned away, but there was nowhere to go, and no way to feign ignorance at seeing him. She turned back to face him, but was surprised to be met instead by Charles.

"Daniela, shall we get something to eat?" Behind him, Frederico saw that his path had been blocked, and thankfully walked away.

"Yes, I would like that."

They moved to the banquet hall, where the tables were laden with food, although few people had come in. Guests could come and go as they pleased, but it was early in the festivities; most had not had their fill of dancing.

They sat opposite one another at one end of a long table. It was the first time they had ever dined together, other than their picnic. They drank from mugs of mild spiced wine sweetened with fruits and honey, and from cool goblets of sage water and barley tea. There was an assortment of roasted meats, soft breads, and fine cheeses. The display of sweets was expansive, with moist puddings full of dried fruit, honey cakes, tarts filled with custard, and shaped cakes of sweetened ground almonds. They took their time eating, as the festivities would go on for many hours, and they would have to preside over it until late at night.

"I have seen many weddings, but they have never been like this. Although generally we only got to see the service, and not the banquet afterwards," Daniela ventured.

"It has been tradition for royal weddings to involve a large celebration like this, although my father and mother were married privately, in a country church."

"That sounds lovely. Have you seen it?" Daniela asked.

"Seen it?"

"I mean, have you ever visited the church that they were married in. I think I should like to, I mean, if it were my parents."

"I guess I never thought to. Perhaps we should travel there someday, I don't think it's far."

Daniela nodded.

"What are Brasadoran weddings like? Do they differ greatly?" Charles asked.

"I only remember one wedding from back then, and I am sure I wasn't allowed to stay long. The service is mostly the same, but there are some hymns that we sing instead of reading a passage of scripture."

"Did you like today's passage? I am sure you are more versed in religious studies than I am-"

Charles was cut off by the arrival of raucous merrymakers in the banquet hall, so they decided to move back and preside over the dancing. Luckily, neither of them had to dance again for the rest of the day, and could just enjoy watching the merriment and talking to a few friends. Daniela had never seen so many musicians gathered; they played pipes, lutes, drums, and a very tall stringed instrument she did not recognize. As the light dimmed outside, torches and candles were lit all around the hall. It was nearly as bright as midday.

Nicole didn't take a single break from dancing, other than the few times she came to greet Daniela.

"You have a kind-hearted friend," Charles said, leaning over to Daniela and pointing out Nicole dancing with Captain Phillips.

"What do you mean?" Daniela asked.

"Many noble ladies would refuse to dance with him. Tom is a commoner."

Daniela smiled and leaned closer so Charles could hear her over the noise. "She certainly is kind-hearted, but I do not think that is her motivation here. She dearly loves to dance, and wouldn't let something like rank stand in her way."

"Is that so?" Charles stroked his chin. "But she seems to favor him over other partners. After all, the close friend of the queen is a highly sought dance partner tonight. She could have her pick."

"Perhaps. But I do not think she would choose her partner out of charity. She must enjoy his company."

"In a sea of the most eligible nobles in the country, she makes her choice based on enjoyment?"

"Does that surprise you?" Daniela asked with a laugh. "The women you meet must be very shrewd indeed."

"Oh, not just the women." Charles smiled and gestured over his head to the castle around him. "The whole lot of them!"

"You make me think I had the better end of the deal in our engagement, growing up away from all this."

"I'm starting to think that myself."

The musicians began a tune that Daniela recognized. It was an Aram folk song, low and melancholy. Many guests began to sing along, and Daniela could hear Charles humming the words softly to himself.

Before you leave to wander wide,

Remember those who left before.

O'er field and hill and mountainside,

Remember what you're leaving for.

When you return from far-off lands,

Think of what you could not find.

O'er grass and rocks and endless sands,

Think of who you left behind.

If someone travels far away,

Remember you are not alone.

O'er seas and oceans and river ways,

They will remember and come back home.

"Your Majesty, would you like to retire?" Marie whispered in Daniela's ear, leaning over her shoulder on the side opposite the king.

"Yes, it is getting late." Daniela glanced quickly at Charles before getting up from her seat. She had nearly forgotten what lay ahead of her that night. Her pulse quickened and her hands felt clammy. Without making a scene, Daniela and her four ladies left the party that was still lively and bustling. Knowing that Charles would be joining her shortly, she could not bring herself to bid him goodnight, or even look at him again.

In her room, her ladies helped to extract her from her dress. It had felt increasingly heavy through the night, and now left a red line on each shoulder. Carefully the ladies pulled the pins from her hair that held on the silver netting, and brushed her now loose curls into soft waves. Nicole kissed Daniela's cheek, and taking her cold hand, walked her through the door in the bookcase.

Inside was a simple bedchamber not unlike her own, though smaller, with only the bed and two chairs by a window covered by a dark curtain. At least, Daniela assumed it was dark; the fireplace was burning low, and there were only a few candles to see by.

Marie, Lynette, and Nicole waited with Daniela for the king. Marie futzed with the drawstring on the neckline of Daniela's chemise. When the door on the opposite wall opened, Marie quickly loosened the string, and tugged Daniela's chemise down a few inches until her shoulders were fully exposed.

"What are you doing?" Daniela whispered.

Marie just shushed her and turned her around to face Charles. Daniela could feel the ladies behind her moving away toward the door.

Charles approached Daniela and stood close enough that the loose silk of her chemise brushed against his long night shirt. She was a good head shorter than him, and had to tilt her head up to meet his gaze. His eyes flicked up to the women who were still in the room, then back down to Daniela. Without a word, he reached out and traced his finger along the red mark on her shoulder. Daniela tried to breathe calmly and steadily after the sudden touch. She did not want him to hear her.

Charles slowly slid his finger down the curve of her arm until it grazed the edge of her chemise. He tugged at it gently. Behind her, Daniela heard the click of the door as the ladies left the two of them alone.

Her heart fluttered nervously, but in an instant, Charles' hand was gone. He stepped away.

"It is late, we should get some sleep." He walked around the bed and climbed under the covers.

Daniela stood still for a moment, then followed him. He lay on his side, facing away, so she did the same.

What was that? she thought. She knew what to expect on a wedding night, and this was certainly not it. She was confused, but in truth it had been a tiring day. Perhaps he would behave differently tomorrow... or perhaps the duke had been right.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

439K 31.9K 85
Marguerite, the former Duchess of Torrinni, receives two letters that will change the course of her life forever; and that will impact young CĂ©leste...
931 112 11
In a world where running the kingdom is the most important thing, Nicollette Terilow could care less. She didn't care about the fancy dresses or the...
7.1K 455 20
What would you do if you spent the perfect day with someone in a deserted park? What if for you it was love at first sight? What if that special pers...
4.5K 286 30
An ambitious royal, and the insurrectionist who wants to destroy everything she stands for. They meet, unwittingly, and their stories intertwine so...