The Queen of Aramdeau

By K_B_Fletcher

Daniela becomes engaged to the King of Aramdeau, but will it be enough to preserve the peace between their co... More

Chapter 1: Charles, King of Aramdeau
Chapter 2: Daniela of Brasador
Chapter 3: Kernwith Abbey
Chapter 4: Charles' Decade
Chapter 6: The Dowager Queen
Chapter 7: A Ride in the Forest
Chapter 8: In the Sight and Care
Chapter 9: The Town of Greenholde
Chapter 10: Tournament
Chapter 11: Departures
Chapter 12: Write to Me
Chapter 13: Customs and Gifts
Chapter 14: Queen Regent
Chapter 15: Your Impatient Husband
Chapter 16: A Small Deception
Chapter 17: On the Northwestern Coast
Chapter 18: A Letter from Home
Chapter 19: Rest
Chapter 20: The Eastern Border
Chapter 21: A Day in Winter
Author's Note and Thank You

Chapter 5: Ternhaligon Castle

10 1 0
By K_B_Fletcher

"Your Highness, it is an honor to welcome you to Ternhaligon Castle." Baron Lansing greeted Daniela and Nicole kindly when they arrived. Daniela had corresponded briefly with the Baron to discuss details concerning her travel and arrival.

With him were the three ladies who would form the rest of Daniela's retinue. Lady Lynette was the youngest of the three and about Daniela's age, and appeared to be quite fashionable. Her bright blue gown would have been gaudy on most people, but it offset Lynette's golden hair beautifully, and on her it looked perfectly appropriate. Knowing nothing of courtly fashions, Daniela hoped Lynette could be of some help.

Lady Marie was shorter and fuller than the other two, and she kept her curly brown hair pulled back loosely. "I am so delighted to meet you both," Marie said, curtsying to Daniela, and shaking Nicole's hand genially.

"It is an honor to meet the Princess of Brasador." Lady Paulina was the eldest, and wore a disapproving scowl at all times. Daniela had been told to expect that one of her ladies was to be sent from the Brasadoran court, and she knew at once that it was Lady Paulina. Her eastern accent was thicker than Daniela's had ever been, even when she still lived there. Apparently she was chosen to help Daniela adjust to life at court as a Brasadoran in Aramdeau. Having lived in the country for a decade, however, Daniela thought she may have to do more to help poor Paulina than the other way around.

"We will take you to your room, Your Highness," Paulina announced. She was definitely used to having her own way, and being in a new country was not going to give her pause. They went up the stairs and into the west wing, which was only used by the royal family and their companions.

"I will take Lady Nicole to her room, and Lynette and Marie will help you to dress." Paulina announced again. She's certainly efficient, Daniela thought. Lynette and Marie took Daniela to one of the big ornate doors that lined the hall.

Pushing it open, they revealed the most splendid bedroom she had ever seen. Two enormous windows stretched down to the floor on the wall opposite the door. To the left stood a huge four-poster bed with a delicate white canopy draping over the top. The wall behind the bed was entirely covered by bookshelves full of more books than Daniela had ever seen in her life. She could tell at a glance that they were not dusty tomes that no one cared for; many of them were new and the rest were well-loved. There were story books, plays, and novels that she had never been allowed at home, and only rarely got a chance to read at the Abbey. She could not wait to show Nicole.

On the right was a comfortable sitting area, and separately a desk full of fine stationery, ink and delicate quill pens of every variety. She would write to the Reverend Mother and all of her friends in the north as soon as she had a chance. The best part of the room was the artwork. Every piece of bare wall was filled by a beautiful painting. In Brasador, she could only remember seeing portraits around the castle of people she had never met. At the Abbey, a simple and humble life was valued, so no artwork was displayed except for a few religious works. These paintings were not the humorless portraits she was used to; there were landscapes and flowers and animals and scenes of people living and enjoying themselves. Daniela was no artist, but she loved beautiful things, and could not have thought of a better way to decorate a room.

"It's lovely," she breathed.

"Isn't it?" Marie replied excitedly. "I heard that the king chose everything for this room himself."

"Is that so?" Lynette laughed. "I've never heard of a man going to such lengths."

"It's true! I heard it from one of the servants. His Majesty has been collecting books and paintings for over a year now."

"Well, we cannot all be so lucky," Lynette sighed. "The bath is over here to the right." She pointed towards the door in the middle of the far right wall.

"What is the other door?" Daniela asked. On the opposite wall, a door was set into the bookshelf.

"Oh, that door will stay locked for now." Marie giggled.

"It connects to the bedchamber you will share with His Majesty," Lynette said matter-of-factly.

Daniela tried to put the anxiety-inducing thought out of her mind. The floor of the bathroom was an intricate mosaic depicting the sun and radiating geometric patterns. Daniela bathed in a large tub with sturdy claw feet. She was perfectly used to bathing with other girls at the convent, but it was new for her to be the only one who was bathing. Marie and Lynette handed her beautiful soaps that looked like flowers and cakes. The scents were new to Daniela, but they were not unpleasant.

They helped her to dry off and then pulled over her head an exquisite silk chemise that fell nearly to her feet. It felt like wearing nothing. Then they helped her into a richly adorned kirtle in a red brocade. The front was stiff and the neckline made a sharp square. Daniela raised her arms so the ladies could tighten the laces running down each side. From the waist down, the skirt was full and brushed the floor as she walked. Overtop the red dress, she wore a gold overdress with long fitted sleeves that had to be laced on. The lustrous gold fabric came to a close just at her waist, before opening again and becoming a long train, leaving the front of the red dress exposed. Yards and yards of fabric must have been used to make this. It reminded her a little of something her mother might have worn, but the styles had changed since then, and this was finer than even her mother's best dress.

"You have such beautiful hair, my lady," Marie mused as she brushed it. "You don't see this color very often."

"No, I don't think dark hair is as common in Aramdeau."

Nicole and Paulina returned with a small black box, and Nicole looked excited. She bounced over and set the box gingerly on Daniela's lap.

"What is this?"

"A gift from His Majesty." Paulina answered.

"Open it, my lady!" Nicole insisted.

Daniela did, and gasped involuntarily when she saw what was inside. A necklace of ten large, deep red jewels set in gold and linked together with gold and pearls.

"Paulina told me they're rubies!" Nicole said. Paulina coughed.

"I mean, Lady Paulina," Nicole corrected herself. "Have you ever seen anything like it?"

"It is beautiful." Daniela agreed. Nicole was right, she really had never seen anything like it. It must have been enormously expensive.

Marie then braided and twisted Daniela's hair up behind her head, and Nicole put the jewels around her neck. They were heavy and cool on her chest, and Daniela couldn't help admiring the result in the mirror. There were some mirrors at the Abbey, but the girls were not allowed to have them in their rooms. Daniela wasn't used to looking at her reflection so much, and she barely recognized herself in such finery.

Marie admired her handiwork in the mirror. "Ah, we had better go to the throne room, it is almost time for the formal introductions."

They walked back down the hallway, but this time with Daniela in front and the others following, as was appropriate of their position. Of course, she didn't know her way around the castle, but Lynette stood close behind and directed her quietly.

Outside the throne room, Daniela waited for the double doors to be pushed open and for her to be announced. Paulina whispered tersely in her ear, "Curtsy first, then wait for him to rise and approach before greeting him."

Daniela walked as gracefully as she could through the doors. It felt so much like that day in the fields of the Eastern Territories. Eyes fell on her from all directions. Nobles, advisors, and courtiers were gathered to see her and they stood in clumps on both sides of the room. Directly across from her, a great throne sat at the top of stone stairs.

King Charles sat up straight on the throne in a gold and black tunic. A cape of deep red velvet with gold trim was tossed back intentionally over one shoulder. Daniela curtsied deeply and Charles coolly stood and approached her.

"It is a pleasure to see you again, Princess Daniela." He took her hand and kissed it politely. His light brown hair was cut short and styled neatly. His jaw was square, his brow straight and untroubled. Every movement was disciplined and exact. It was only in his light eyes that Daniela recognized the boy she had met.

"I hope you have settled in well, and your room is comfortable," he said. Daniela felt a keen sense of déjà vu. It was like he was reading off the same script as all those years ago.

"Yes, thank you, Your Majesty."

"Permit me to make some introductions." He guided her toward one side of the room, and a stout woman stepped forward. Though her dress was very fine, it was more comfortable than fashionable. The two women curtsied to each other.

"My mother, Queen Imelda." Daniela thought Charles cracked a small smile when he said it, but she might have been mistaken.

"Bless you, child." Imelda kissed Daniela's cheek and beamed at her. "Will you join me for tea tomorrow in my chambers?"

"Yes, of course, Your Highness, thank you."

"And I believe you have met Baron Lansing," Charles said, redirecting her attention to the kind old man, who gave a knowing nod.

"This is my Minister of Internal Security, Lord Sutton." He pointed out a graying man who bowed with a flourish.

"My, how you've grown since the engagement, and what a beauty you are now." Lord Sutton said with a smirk. "You'll make us all envy our young king."

King Charles addressed Daniela again and led her away before she had a chance to respond.

"I will have you meet the Captain of the Guard, soon, though he is on duty tonight. There is another party en route from Brasador, and my cousin is around somewhere, he will show up soon enough."

Daniela felt her stomach clench at the mention of her home country. She didn't realize until this moment how much she dreaded seeing anyone she knew from home. It was hard to pay attention through the next round of greetings.

"Ah, here he is at last, Leo-I mean, Duke Pearson." Charles brought forward a handsome man around their age. His blonde hair was perfectly loose, with the exact number of strands falling into his face to be maximally charming.

"Well, aren't you the luckiest man in Aramdeau," the duke said to Charles amiably, bowing by instinct. He smiled brilliantly at Daniela. "It is a great honor to make your acquaintance, my lady. I could not be more excited for a wedding even if it were my own."

Daniela smiled and thanked him. King Charles was preparing for another flurry of greetings, but the double doors were swung open again, and "Crown Prince Frederico Khonadry of Brasador" was announced.

Daniela whipped around to face the entrance. Her brother breezed in, trailed by a group of young Brasadoran nobles. The genial chatter in the room died down and all attention turned to him. He basked in it, and made his way nonchalantly to where Charles and Daniela stood.

"Welcome, Prince, I hope your journey was pleasant." Charles said, sounding as rehearsed as ever.

Frederico shrugged. "Nothing could keep me from my dear sister's wedding. How are you, little Daniela?"

"I-I am well, thank you." Daniela could not believe her brother was the head of the Brasadoran envoy. She had not heard from him once in ten years, why should he show himself now? His eyes bored into her. Had they always been so sunken and sharp?

"How long has it been? It feels like yesterday you were scampering around the halls." He turned his gaze towards Charles. "How fast children grow up."

Charles looked unfazed, and announced to the hall that it was time for the banquet.

Daniela sat next to Charles through dinner and the evening's entertainment, though they hardly spoke a word to each other. She was glad to be back in her room late that night when it was all over. Having Nicole with her at the castle was a comfort, but with each new face she met and name she learned, she felt that much more alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 5.6K 23
Ranked #12 in girlxgirl |03/23/20| Ranked #6 in Updates |08/20/20| Ranked #2 in kingsandqueens |3/20/22| Trapped inside castle walls, heiress Aless...
991K 50.9K 73
‟Tonight shall be the first and last night that we spend together, Gianita, for I do not intend to produce heirs by this marriage. The Prince would s...
4.4K 286 30
An ambitious royal, and the insurrectionist who wants to destroy everything she stands for. They meet, unwittingly, and their stories intertwine so...
595K 20.5K 31
Princess Eva is a hopeless romantic and has always dreamed of falling in love. The problem is, in the royal family marriages are always arranged for...