A Dangerous Mystery (An Inher...

By DutesnBoots

Cassiopeia Elle Grambs was not what you'd call, "financially stable." But when a dead man invites her and her... More

The Summoning
The Will
The Inheritance
The Heiresses
The House
NOT REQUIRED TO READ!!! Author's Note
The Feud
NOT REQUIRED TO READ: Hey yall (A/N)
You Look Like Her
The School
A/N: EVERY SATURDAY MORNING WILL POST A NEW UPDATE
The Boys

The Stray

34 1 0
By DutesnBoots

Yes y'all, another EXCRUCIATINGLY long chapter but hey, it's better than nothing ig

————————————————————————

I woke up the next morning from my dreamless sleep tangled in my sheets. I sat up groggily, my mind slurred and muddled. As I sat there for a few minutes trying to gain a sense of self, it all came rushing back. My letter. The clue. Grayson.

I shivered as I thought about the blonde man. I remembered the remarks that had been said, then me tossing his clothes into the pool. I couldn't suppress my smile. I'd felt so in the moment that I hadn't had the time to enjoy myself.

Clouds parted outside, allowing the bright sun to shine through the glass wall and into my room, igniting the dark place. Looking out the glass window, I half expected Grayson to come walking from the main gate. The rational part of myself told me that there was no way he was going to be there. I wasn't surprised, but I was a bit disappointed.

Why am I disappointed? This is the same guy who threatened my sisters. My sisters. How had I forgotten about them? Avery was moving into Hawthorne House today, one day after I had to.

As I swung my legs over my impossibly huge bed, only one thought ran through my head.

The Hawthornes are crazy. Literally crazy.

...........................................................................

After I'd finished brushing my teeth, I dug around in my suitcase trying to find my spare clothes. When I submerged from my mess, I came up with a Disney princess tank top and matching shorts. I groaned. I'd packed only for a night, and these were my spare clothes in case I spilled or something. Sighing, I wriggled into the light blue tank top and shorts, silently cursing my dressing choices.

I quickly shoved the mess back into my suitcase, not bothering to put it back all neat and nice. I was just going to destroy the display when I came back. I found a zip up sweatshirt that I gratefully slipped on. I quickly started to tidy up my room, making my bed and clearing up the couches. I placed my book on my nightstand, grabbed my phone, and left the room.

As I tried to find my way to the kitchen, I had the eerie feeling someone was watching and following me. I turned around and a couple of yards behind me was Parker. Right. I forgot about that.

When I'd finally stumbled into the kitchen, my stomach was rumbling, my head was throbbing, and I was this close to bite someone's fingers if they stopped me from eating breakfast.

I didn't even bother checking who was in the kitchen before I threw open the cabinets, looking for food.

"Calm down, Ms. Starving." I jerked my head around and saw the person who I despised with all my being. Grayson Hawthorne.

"Well then, where's the foo-" My words died in my throat when I noticed the table. It was packed with mouth watering goods like pastries and fruits and so many beverages.

I stumbled toward the table, my eyes focused on the food and the food only. Grayson said something but I didn't hear him. All sounds had been diminished.

I sat down and started shoveling the gorgeous delicacies into my mouth. After a few minutes, I let out a satisfied sigh. I rubbed my forehead as the migraine started to fade away. I heard a slight chuckle from across the table. I glanced up and was almost surprised to see Grayson there. I'd forgotten he was there.

"Happy now, Food Grinch?" He smirked. I narrowed my eyes at him but ignored his remark. I stabbed a blueberry pancake with my fork.

"Yes, actually. I'm very satisfied. The food is delicious." Grayson have me smug little grin.

"Thank you for the compliments. It means a lot that you love the breakfast I made."

I choked on my pancakes. "You made the pancakes?"

Grayson arched an eyebrow. "Are you doubting my culinary abilities, Ms. Grambs?"

"Cassie is fine," I said through gritted teeth. My initial response to his question was to be nice and say No, thank you for the pancakes! But I didn't want to be nice.

"Yes. I seriously doubt you of all people made such intricate delicacies."

"And what makes you say that, Cassie?" I relaxed slightly at the use of my nickname. Now we were on the same page.

I thought for a moment. I hadn't foresaw this. I thought he'd just take the "insult" and shut up.

"Well, for starters,  I could start by asking you what kind of ingredients you used." Libby was always forcing her baking nature down on us, so naturally I'd picked up on some things.

I quizzed him on all sorts of baking things, and I didn't really expect him to answer each questions which such precision.

I huffed. Grayson continued to smugly smirk at me. "Fine. Thanks for the food, I guess," I muttered begrudgingly.

"You are so welcome." Grayson replied, his tone dripping with sarcasm. "Nice outfit by the way. It really brings out your eyes." I tossed him a dirty glare before picking up my plate and dropping it in the sink. As I left the kitchen, I did my best to not stomp out my frustrations on the hard wood floors.

Once I'd made it back to my room, Parker followed me inside, which I found slightly odd. When I entered my room, I saw Avery, Alisa, and Oren standing there.

"Ave!" I cried out. The two of us embraced tightly. It felt amazing to be back in my younger sister's arms.

Oren cleared his throat and signaled to Parker. "As I'm sure you two have realized, it is our job to keep the two of you safe from potential threats." As he said this, Parker nodded but didn't say anything.

The two of them continued to drone on and on about safety protocols, and all about our security team. When they'd finished, it was time for Alisa to lecture us on the Hawthorne Foundation, with was why she'd wanted a meeting with us last night.

I tried to listen, but it was really hard to when the people lecturing you were at least twice your age. And not prone to smiling or cracking corny jokes. Or sarcasm.

When the meeting finally finished, I was more than happy to have my room all to myself. But before I could enjoy the pleasure of peace, a question popped to mind.

"Where's Libby?"

"She's gone back to Connecticut to collect your things, along with her own," Alisa replied. I let out a breath of relief.

"Thank you."
...........................................................................

It had been an hour since everyone left, and I spent that time getting better accustomed to my absolutely gorgeous room. I didn't have anything else to read, so I picked up my laptop and walked outside. It was late afternoon and the sun was shining brightly. I found a beautiful garden and sat down on a bench in the middle of a bunch of chicories.

I pulled my laptop lid open and started a new tab. I clicked open my doc as familiar words filled the page. I quickly scrolled down and read the sentence I'd left off on. 'Does it matter?' Emile asked. "Of course, Emmy. You'll always matter to me.' Damion said. 'I love-

The cursor lay unblinking at me, as if it were teasing me. I sighed. Immediately, my fingers flew across the keyboard, finishing Damion's words. 'I love you, Emile Celight. I can't live the rest of my life without you. Without seeing your angelic face when I wake up every morning. You make me bright. You're the only reason I haven't run away, or killed myself. It's all because of you. I love you, Emilie, and I will be there for you beyond the end of our days.'

I frowned. I absolutely loved how Damion had poured his heart out to the love of his life, yet his words were a bit cheesy. Sighing, I was about to backspace his love for Emilie when I thought against it. I highlighted his words and copied it. I then opened a new doc and pasted the words there. I labeled the doc: Beautiful Declarations of Love.

I exited out of the doc and continued to write my chapter. I was hoping to publish my book, but I wanted to get a good chunk ready. First impressions were important.

I distinctly became aware of a slow whining sound. I turned around and was met with an adorable sight. A small puppy, probably no older than a few months was a few feet away. I couldn't tell what color its' fur was because of how much mud it was caked in.

"Awww," I whispered. I stretched my hand out for the puppy to smell. Slowly, the puppy inched foreword until it met with my palm. He slowly started to lick my fingers, and I giggled as he tickled me. "C'mere, boy." I gently scooped him in my arms, and I was thankful that the puppy didn't squirm out of my grasp.

I shut my laptop and carried it under my arm and the puppy in the other. I didn't care that I was getting mud all over my brand new rich people clothes. I carried the tiny thing back to my room.

I placed my laptop on my desk and took the puppy to my bathroom. I filled the bathtub with warm water and soap bubbles. I carefully submerged the puppy in the bath. I slowly rubbed the mud and dirt off the puppy, and I was delighted to find it had light golden fur.

After I'd finished washing the puppy, I bundled it in an extra towel and carried him to my bed. I dried the Golden Retriever with my hair blower, that's how much fur this puppy had. I gasped slightly as I felt his fur. It was softer than my Egyptian sheets. Softer than anything I'd ever felt.

I looked deep into the puppy's bark brown eyes. They glistened with curiosity and love. I smiled gently. "You need a name, don't you?" The puppy just stared at me, his tongue falling out of his mouth slightly.

I pondered the question. That's when the idea came to me. "How about Pico?" The fuzzy ball of fluff barked happily. "Alright then. Your name is officially Pico." Pico seemed to smile at me through his eyes.

I smiled a grand smile. For the first time, I wasn't constantly dreading every moment I spent here. I wouldn't have to go through each day longing to just crawl up and read or write all day. Now I would get to do that with a friend.

I had a friend.

————————————————————————

a/n: guys I promised this update early Monday but my STEWPID (pronounced like how Hermione Granger says stupid) WiFi broke or smth so UGGHHH!!! But now I finally have it so yay!

This is one of my favorite chapters bc I've always wanted a dog named Pico 🥹🥹

Btw I'm at the salon I'm FINALLY getting a haircut my curtain bangs are so overgrown and my hair is too long I'm going shoulder length so YAEY

anyways 79 reads!!! I'm so happy TYSM guys, I love youuuuuuu have an amazing day or an amazing sleep if it's night. Byeeeee

(87 words away from 2000 including a/n)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.5K 453 38
"Money is the reason we exist, everybody knows it, it's a fact". When Kayla Diana Grambs, sister to Avery Kylie Grambs inherits 40 billion something...
152K 3K 43
"𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐮𝐧𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐯𝐞�...
98.3K 1.6K 25
"With you I'd dance in a storm, in my best dress. Fearless" I told him. Grayson Davenport Hawthorne only stared at me with his piercing, grey eyes. "...
12.8K 693 24
"𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐘, 𝐓𝐖𝐎 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐖. 𝐈 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐘 𝐒𝐎 𝐈 𝐖𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐆𝐎." - Lizzie Laughlin l...