Altruism | Part Two : Care

By ScarlettSinger

"Let me be your light at the end of the tunnel" - Ana Cabrera Ana Cabrera is a Cuban immigrant. She lives in... More

Cast - Season Two
Episode One
Episode Two
Episode Three
Episode Four
Episode Five
Episode Six
Episode Seven
Episode Eight
Episode Nine
Episode Ten
Episode Eleven
Episode Twelve
Episode Thirteen
Episode Fourteen
Episode Fifteen
Episode Sixteen
Episode Seventeen
Episode Eighteen
Episode Twenty

Episode Nineteen

1.7K 51 3
By ScarlettSinger

"Today is our rookies' one-year mark in the F.T.O. program. Congratulations on not washing out." Grey announces.

"Yet." Harper butts.

"We'll see." Bradford says.

"There's still time." Angela adds.

"That also means today is the start of your Thirty Day Push. Why is that important, Officer Nolan?" Grey asks Nolan.

"Because in one month, we will no longer be probationary employees, but fully fledged patrol officers of the LAPD?" Nolan guesses.

"No." Grey says.

"Damn it." Nolan says under his breath.

"Because, as your T.O.s have pointed out, you are not there yet. The end of the race is always the hardest. The Push is to remind you not to celebrate until you cross the finish line. Understand?" Grey says.

"Yes, sir." All of the rookies say.

"Cabrera, what's going on with your arm?" Grey asks, seeing a bandage wrapped around Ana's upper right arm.

"um... it's not... a family friendly story" Ana stutters out.

Several people wolf whistle. 

"I didn't know you were kinky" Jackson teases.

"definitely not it" Tim interrupts. "what? did you walk in on your grandparents doing something?"

"... yeah" Ana says, softly. "and it was... something that happened"

"Okay... that's all I got. For the first time in history, the night shift did their jobs -- left no open cases that require follow-up. So, go on, find some crime. And be safe out there." Grey dismisses them.

[Timeskip]

"aww, it's a doggy" Ana smiles, looking out the window at a dog.

"you're supposed to be looking for crime" Harper chastises.

"He's criminally cute" Ana giggles.

Harper just sends her a glare.

"um, how are you feeling about court today?" Ana asks, softly, sitting back down in the passenger seat.

"My lawyer says, with all of my positive changes that I've made and my improved relationship with Donovan, there's no reason the judge shouldn't grant me shared custody." Harper answers.

"That's amazing!" Ana squeals.

"Yeah, except the judge is a real hard-ass and has a reputation for being unorthodox in his rulings." Harper sighs.

"Seven Adam 19, warning to all units, Officer Nolan just said the q-word" Tim says over the radio.

"the q-word?" Ana asks, softly.

"really, runt? synonym for silent?" Harper says.

"oh" Ana says, softly, when she realizes what Harper means. "thank you, ma'am, so does that mean that it'll be a bad day?"

Just then the radio starts flooding in with a car chase Hollywood is doing, they're quickly involved, trying to track down the suspect.

"There. Cabrera. Door." Harper says, as they reach a parking structure where the suspect is moving on foot.

"Got a gun." Ana calls.

"You need to secure it while I go after the suspect." Harper says.

"I'll go with you" Ana volunteers, softly.

"No, that gun is a crucial piece of evidence, and TID has their hands full processing the shooting scene, so I am designating you the finder. Photograph everything. Make sure you get that gun exactly how it was found. Glove up, collect it, and store it in our shop's lock box. You got it?" Harper orders.

"I got it, ma'am" Ana promises, softly.

"Control, 7-Adam-15. Suspect vehicle located in a parking structure on 6th and Grand. Gun on scene. My T.O. is in pursuit of suspect through a maintenance door on the northeast corner. Need backup. Code 3." Ana says over the radio.

"Control, 7-Adam-15. Shut down all code 3 units. Suspect is G.O.A. Damn it." Harper says over the radio a minute later.

[Timeskip]

"I might've taken too many pictures, ma'am" Ana says, softly.

"better safe than sorry" Harper shrugs.

"No sign of the suspect?" Armstrong asks, pulling up in his car.

"No, he got away clean. But we did recover his weapon." Harper answers.

"Nine-mil. Recently fired." Ana offers, softly.

"Good work. Anything else?" Armstrong nods.

"The car, it's registered to a dealership, International Luxury Auto." Ana replies, softly.

"Stolen?" Armstrong asks.

"Not reported." Ana answers, softly.

"We need to run background checks on the dealership employees." Armstrong decides.

"Already happening. But we would get a much faster ID from the mobile fingerprint unit inside your car. We pulled a clean print from the driver's side window." Harper mentions.

"Uh, yeah. Great." Armstrong says, leaving and returning with the fingerprint unit.

"How is it out there?" Harper asks.

"Controlled chaos. We're spread thin through two divisions." Armstrong replies and the fingerprint unit beeps.

"Serj Derian" Ana reads out the name.

[Timeskip]

"Hey, you gotta go." Nolan says, running over to them.

"Nolan?" Ana asks, softly.

"Bradford sent me, said he wanted Ana" Nolan replies.

Ana turns to Harper. "go for it" Harper agrees.

Ana jogs back to the shop that Nolan drove here and drives to Serj's house.

"finally, a good rookie" Tim sighs when Ana enters.

"hey, y'all need help looking?" Ana asks, softly.

"please" Lucy pleads.

"What the hell?" Tim questions, picking up a file.

"You got something?" Lucy asks while Ana walks over as well.

He lowers the report a little so Ana can look at it.

"Yeah, a police report." Tim says.

Ana looks down and sees more reports.

"There's more. "Suspect -- Serj Derian."" Lucy reads aloud.

"his name is everywhere in these reports" Ana says, softly, looking through the reports.

"Someone inside the department has been feeding intel to the Armenian mob." Tim realizes.

"And by someone, you mean..." Lucy trails off.

"A dirty cop." Tim answers, grimly.

[Timeskip]

"Bradford, I'm stealing Cabrera" Angela says.

"why?" Tim asks.

Angela doesn't reply, just dragging Ana away.

"what are we doing, ma'am?" Ana asks, softly.

"going through body cam footage" Angela replies, leading Ana into a small office with two computers.

"isn't that a detective thing?" Ana questions, softly.

"it is, but I need help" Angela answers.

"how do you know I'm not the dirty cop?" Ana asks, softly.

"shortcake, the second you're the dirty cop is when pigs fly" Angela says.

"okay, I won't let you down, ma'am" Ana promises, softly, sitting down at one of the computers and starting to review body cam footage.

[Timeskip]

"ma'am? Cole's body cam doesn't have any footage on it" Ana observes, softly.

[Timeskip]

"Officer Erin Cole never switched her camera on during the raid. She's a rookie, so it could just be a mental error." Angela tells Grey.

"Or she did it on purpose to cover up taking the gun. Either way, we need to talk to her." Grey says.

"I can reach out to her T.O., call her back to the station." Lopez volunteers.

"No need. Cole's ID badge shows she's still here -- in the locker room." Grey answers.

They go down to the locker room only to find a pile of clothing, a phone, and the ID badge.

"She dumped everything that we could use to trace her." Lopez realizes.

"She's running." Ana says, softly.

"How was Officer Cole at the Academy?" Harper asks.

"Solid." Nolan responds.

"Yeah, she was a go-getter. I mean, she wasn't the strongest or the fastest, but she made up for it with passion." Lucy answers.

"I certainly wouldn't have flagged her as someone who'd betray the badge. And as a rookie?" Nolan shakes his head.

"Maybe she didn't turn. Maybe she was rotten from the onset." Harper suggests.

"Meaning what? She was put into the department by the Derian family as a mole?" Lucy asks.

"Anything?" Tim asks when Grey enters the roll call room.

"No. No sign of Cole yet. An S.I.S. team conducted a raid on her home and searched the home of two family members. Nothing." Grey shakes his head.

"Forensic Accounting says there's been no financial activity on any of her accounts." Angela announces.

"her last thirty days of purchases all seem normal too" Ana says, softly, sitting next to Angela and going through her finances.

"Well, she's a cop. Smart enough to know how we're gonna try and catch her." Nolan says.

"And to know that every available uniform will be looking for her." Harper adds.

"She'll probably flee to somewhere that's familiar to her. The question is, how will she get there?" Grey responds.

"We put a BOLO out county-wide. The Sheriff's Department, Metro Transit, Port Police all been notified. Eyes are open." Tim says.

[Timeskip]

"What are you looking at?" Lucy asks, looking over Ana's shoulder.

"Angela has me looking over her social media accounts for any clues" Ana answers, softly.

"she has a bunch of stuff about RV's" Ana notes, softly.

"The other night at the bar, Erin said she wanted to go on a road trip in an RV just as soon as the Thirty Day Push was over." Nolan recalls.

"You think that's her escape plan?" Lucy asks.

"It would give her mobility. It would give her a place to hide off the grid." Nolan realizes.

[Timeskip]

"so, you didn't know Cole?" Harper asks.

"no, I didn't really have friends at the Academy" Ana answers, softly, as they wait outside of a house where an RV is parked.

"why not?" Harper questions. "you are a very likable person."

"I was always busy" Ana replies, softly. "I was working at night to pay for the apartment and everything, I didn't have time for a social life"

"hmm" Harper nods.

Cole suddenly appears, getting into the RV and speeding pas them.

"Control, 7-Adam-15. We just got 245'd by suspect Cole in an RV. Beige RV, Arizona plates. Alpha-Bravo-7-9, heading north on Mission Road towards 1st." Ana says over the radio.

The RV drives recklessly through traffic and some cares are sideswiped.

"Look out." Ana calls when half of the camper falls off the RV.

Harper swerves to avoid the debris and the rest of the camper breaks off as well, while the truck cab speeds away.

"Attention, all units. Air-16 tracking suspect vehicle heading east on Colorado towards Pasadena." Dispatch says over the radio.

[Timeskip]

"I know you're all exhausted. The past twenty-four hours have brought a...lot of heartache. You did great work out there. Remember that. I was notified that Rios' memorial service is Saturday afternoon. Go home, get some rest. Nolan. I'm gonna need you to stay behind. IA is requesting your statement while it's still fresh in your mind." Grey says, dismissing them.

"Yes, sir." Nolan agrees.

[Timeskip]

"Ana!" Nolan calls, catching up to her.

"hey, what's up?" Ana asks, softly.

"I need you to look at something" Nolan says.

[Timeskip]

She watches his body cam footage.

"w-well, hold on" Ana says, softly.

They drive to the scene where Armstrong shot Cole.

"If she was right here" Ana mutters to herself. "and Armstrong was over there.."

"she must've said his name before he appeared" Ana decides, softly, after a few minutes of thinking.

"which means..." Nolan trails off.

"Armstrong is the dirty cop and he shot Cole so she couldn't testify and reveal him" Ana says, softly.

"Damn" Nolan sighs.

[Timeskip]

Ana sighs as she gets home around 1 am. She trudges to her room before she realizes how quiet it is. Her eyebrows furrow and she checks her grandparents' rooms. All of them are empty. But sitting there on her Abuela Carmen's bed is a note.

"Drop it. Or you'll be the last Cabrera."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.7K 890 25
***COMPLETED*** Lucy Brown is a bit nerdy, she has a big heart and a mysterious past. One day she meets Angus MacGyver and he shows her his dangerou...
14.4K 183 23
This is a story is about Tim and Lucy, they have a kid that is 1 years old and her name is Ava angel Bradford, Lucy live in her apartment with the ba...
31.4K 1.1K 22
"Let me be your light at the end of the tunnel" - Ana Cabrera Ana Cabrera is a Cuban immigrant. She lives in a three bedroom apartment with her grand...
9.3K 329 8
เฉˆโœฉโ€งโ‚Šหš ๐’Š๐’ ๐’˜๐’‰๐’Š๐’„๐’‰ real and fake becomes hard to tell apart แกฃ๐ญฉ โ€ข๏ฝกโช fem!oc ๐’™ tim bradford โซ ๊ช†เงŽ หšโช started. 11.02.24 โซ 5th on #cops 6th on #lapd ...