Colliding Hearts

By aniyahcheywrites

Essence Brentwood 19- had always been the quiet and shy girl that stayed to herself. She was goal driven, ind... More

|Description|
|1.|
|2.|
|3.|
|4.|
|5.|
|6.|
|7.|
|8.|
|9.|
|10.|
|11.|
|12.|
|13.|
|14.|
|14.2|
|15.|
|16.|
|17.|
|18.|
|19.|
|20.|
|21.|
|22.|
|23.|
|24.|
|25.|
|25.2|
|26.|
|27.|
|28.|
|29.|
|30.|
|30.2|
|31.|
|32.|
|34.|
|35.|
|36.| - Epilouge
👀

|33.|

348 58 117
By aniyahcheywrites

November 20th,2017
Atlanta, GA
5:57pm

Sitting on the couch of Darnell's home—Rome looked around nervously while he rubbed his hands together. Tonight was their dinner and their talk. Rome had shown up a little earlier than expected because it was a farther drive than what he was use to. Darnell was in the kitchen preparing their plates of food. He'd made cabbage, rice, black eyed peas, and beef ribs. That alone had Rome's stomach growling when he first walked through the door.

"My bad son." Darnell apologized while walking into the living room with the plate. He held Rome's out to him before sitting his down on the table and taking a seat. "You ain't allergic to none of the shit I cooked right?"

Rome chuckled. "Naw man but I am skeptical about eating your cooking. You sure you know how to throw down a meal? I ain't with eating no nasty stuff."

Darnell smacked his lips. "Little nigga I can cook. Stop fucking playing with me." He shook his head making Rome chuckle.

Rome picked his fork up and dug into the cabbage, rice, and peas all together before sticking his fork in his mouth. He started to chew and his different facial expression had Darnell cracking up. "That shit good ain't it." He smirked when he seen Rome going in for another fork full.

"It's alright." Rome smirked while leaning forward and grabbing his strawberry lemonade and sipping it. "Naw, it's good though. Almost as good as my nana food was."

"I'll take that." Darnell smiled. "Speaking of you nana, I'm sorry about your loss son. I ain't never really get to know her like that but when I met her back when me and your moms was young as fuck, she was always so sweet."

"Yeah she was the best to me and my siblings. Not so much to my mama though but I'm sure you already know that." Rome spoke before taking a bite of his rib that instantly fell of the bone. "Damn this good as hell." He tapped his leg against the floor feeling the flavors hit his tongue.

"Oh now you hooked when you was just skeptical." Darnell shook his head as he dug in. "But yeah, your mama explained everything to me when we reconnected. I wish I could've saved her from all that..."

"You could've been her night and shining armor if you ain't leave her high and dry when you found out she sold her coochie." Rome shrugged. "Why you ain't answer my mama calls when she reached out to you? She meant that less to you that you could just drop her like that? Like she ain't mean none to you when she loved the fuck out of you?"

Darnell frowned. "Naw, hold up now. I loved your mother. Loved the fuck out of her just like she loved me. I can admit that leaving her like that was wrong. Calling her out her name I did was wrong and that's something I'll forever regret. Hell, Ima forever regret ignoring her calls like I did but I can't change the past. I was young, dumb, and hurt. Back then, it wasn't cool to have a girl that was community pussy and I let that get to my head. All I heard was that she was giving the pussy up and I didn't stick around to hear why she was doing what she was doing. I just dipped because I was a young ass coward."

"—if I would've known about you, I would've took care of you. I would've been a father and I'm sorry I missed out on damn near twenty two years of your life because of my dumbness. Because I chose to block your mother out my life for good instead of loving her and being there for her." Darnell looked over at Rome. "But I'm here. I'm here to be a father to you even though you old as shit now, I'm here to spend time with you. I'm here to be the dad you've been missing your whole life but only if you'll allow me to be that for you."

Rome took in everything he was saying but still continued to eat his food while he processed his words. It was true that he'd always wanted a father but he had buried that thought years ago back when he was a teenager. He had to become a father figure to his siblings so young that he'd forgot that he was missing a father figure himself.

"You right, I am old as hell but a father figure is something I've always wanted when I was a teen." Rome looked over at Darnell. "I'm sure my mama told you I've always been a father figure to my girls because all they had was me and my mama. Dasia had her father but he don't live here so I was always like her father. I done ran the streets to make sure food was on the table because a regular job ain't cut it. I was always grown from a young age so I ain't never really experience what it was like to have someone be a parent to me that wasn't my nana." He looked down. "But because you seem like a cool ass man and you owning up to your fuck ups, I'll give you a chance. I ain't saying that ima' start calling you pops right away but I'm willing to get to know you and I'd love to get to know my little sister."

At the sound of that Darnell smiled. "Thank you son. This means a lot to me. More than you know and I know Aaliyah going to be happy to meet you two. Especially when she find out you love photography just like her." He said. "I'm proud of you for stepping up and being there for Dasia and Gabrielle. A lot of young men wouldn't do what you did for them and I'm proud that you still making something good out of your life instead of being in the streets still. The streets don't love nobody. Trust me, I know. I done had my run with being in some shit and that ain't what I want for you. No matter if I just met you and shit, you my son. I want the world for you my boy."

Rome smiled. "I appreciate that. Thank you." He nodded. "I do got a question for you though."

"What's up?" Darnell asked.

"You fucking my mom?" Rome blurted.

At the sound of that, Darnell damn near choked on his rice and cabbage and started coughing uncontrollably from the question. Rome threw his head back in laughter before having to sit his plate down from hard he was dying of laughter at how Darnell was trying his best to gather his breath.

"Fuck you Rome. Real shit." Darnell shook his head once he'd finally caught his breath. He drank down his lemonade before mugging Rome who still laughed. "What me and your mama got going on is our business because if I really start spilling details, you gonna' be ready to fight me and I'd hate to have to beat your ass."

"Nigga you can't beat me." Rome shook his head.

"Nigga you came outta' my sack. I know your little ass ain't touching me when it comes to throwing hands. Shut yo' ass up." Darnell smacked his lips.

"Fuck you." Rome chuckled. "But on some seriousness, you hurt my mama again and you gonna find out why everybody say my anger so bad. Real stuff. Ion' play about her and she been through a lot. She deserves nothing but happiness and a good life after everything she's been through."

Darnell nodded. "I respect that. I'm not looking to hurt her. I'm looking to heal her, marry her, and be the man she always deserved. Hell, I'm tryna' have another kid too."

At he sound of that, Rome face frowned up. "Don't make me throw up. My mama damn near 40 and you like 50. Y'all nasty."

Darnell mugged him. "Your mother only 38 and I'm 40. Shut yo' ass up talking about somebody old. Nigga you just young as fuck. Premature looking ass."

Rome and Darnell both stale faced one another before they both busted out laughing at each other facial expressions.

Later that night Rome found himself at an off campus party with Xavier and Luda. He stood in the corner with his red cup in his hand while he watched the girls throw ass on the floor.

"Nigga single and now all he wanna do is look at ass." Xavier whispered to Luda but Rome heard him and snatched his neck around.

"Boy fuck you." Rome chuckled and shook his head. "Karter giving you the time of day and now you trying to be loyal. Fuck out of here."

"And Essence ain't giving you no play and now you tryna' be a hoe. Fuck out of here." Xavier mocked him.

"Make me shoot you." Rome mugged Xavier who started laughing.

"I'm down to have fun with the bitches with you." Luda sipped his drink.

The two of them did just that. Rome found himself letting some of the females at the party dance on him while Xavier recorded. His blunt and the liquor was mixing and all he wanted to do was have fun. Taking out his phone, he went to Instagram and decided to post the photos he'd taken today.

RomeE Back outside like a nigga never left🤣

As he was about to lock his phone, he saw a message from J rock pop up that read Handled making Rome smirk. He'd had J rock and his body jump his uncle James in order to teach him a lesson. The only reason Rome had told them to keep him alive was because he didn't need a suspicious death in the family. Especially with everyone clearly knowing he had a special hatred for James and everyone knowing he had dealings in the streets.

"Isn't this such a coincidence." Rome heard behind him making him turn around quickly with a mug on his face. When he noticed that it was Payton, he placed a small smile on his face.

"Ain't it." He chuckled. "I ain't think I would see you until it was time for your shoot. I ain't know you attended Clark."

Payton smiled. "I'm pretty low key and I'm barely on campus and I'm a sophomore so I don't really be outside like that." She stared up at him.

"So you a baby is what you saying?" Rome smirked.

"Or maybe you just old." Payton smirked making them both let out a chuckle at the same time. "I saw you out there letting them girlies twerk on you and stuff. I didn't know you got down like that and I thought you were in a relationship. Do I need to tell one of my fellow girlies her man out her showing his ass at a party?"

Rome smacked his lips and chuckled. "I ain't never a cheater mama. I'm a single man now so I was just having a little fun. Ain't nothing wrong with that right?" He eyed her.

"Not at all." Payton chuckled. "I didn't come over here to bother you too long, I just saw you from a distance and I had to come speak. Just so we can get familiar with one another before my shoot you know?"

"Yup I got you mama." Rome nodded his head. "I'll see you on the 12th right? 4:30?"

"You sure will." Payton smiled. "Until then, is it okay if we communicate as friends? I kind of want to show you my ideas so you'll know what I have in mind if that's okay with you? I mean you did say you're a single man now so I don't think I'd be overstepping."

Rome chuckled. "You clever but I ain't got a problem with it." He licked over his lips and held his phone out to her. Payton only smiled and entered her number before texting herself.

"Enjoy the rest of your night Rome." Payton handed him her phone back.

"You too mama." Rome told her before she walked away.

"Not you on them young girls bad as fuck." Xavier smirked coming up to Rome.

Rome smacked his lips. "Ain't nobody on her. I was just being a nice nigga."

"More like a friendly ass nigga. Don't me tell Essence now. Just because y'all broke up, don't mean I ain't still rooting for y'all. I ain't never seen you as happy as you were with her." Xavier shrugged earning himself a mug. "I'm just saying."

Rome shook his head and walked off. He headed outside to his car to smoke himself another blunt feeling like his high was going away. As he sat in his car nodding his head to the music, he frowned when his phone flashed with a message but his frown quickly turned into a look of nervousness when he picked it up and seen My heart❤️ on the screen. Rome still hadn't changed Essence name even thought they were broken up because she indeed was still his heart.

My heart❤️

Hey, I know you probably don't want to hear from me but I was wondering if you could maybe stop by or I come by your place. I just want to talk...
Received at 11:23pm

Rome quickly text Xavier letting him know he had to go before pulling off in the direction of Essence's home. He'd turned a 30 minute drive into a 15 while he still smoked his blunt as he drove. When he pulled up, he nervously stepped out of his car and walked up to the door. As soon as he'd knocked, the door was pulled open and there stood Essence in her baggy clothes. Her hair was thrown up into a bun on top of her head and her eyes were red like she'd been crying.

"Hey." She weakly smiled before stepping aside and allowing him to come in.

"What's up Babygirl." Rome said making Essence's heart warm.

After shutting the door, she walked over to the couch and he sat down next to her while she sat criss crossed.

"First I want to start of by saying thank you for coming." Essence looked up at him making their eyes connect. "I've seen that you've been reaching out to me and I'm sorry for being a bitch and ignoring you and taking our photos down. I've just been battling a lot in my mind about my actions and I want to sincerely say I'm so sorry for what I did. Im sorry for going through your phone, I'm sorry for throwing your phone at you and busting your lip, especially because that's a form of abuse and I'm most importantly sorry for what I called you."

"—Rome you're a wonderful man. I have never seen you as anything less than amazing so for me to call you a murderer and a drug dealer with me already knowing about your lifestyle and how you fell into it was extremely wrong of me and I'm sorry." She wiped under her eyes. "With all this being said, I not only wanted to apologize but I wanted to expressed that I feel like it's better if we don't try to reconcile our relationship right now. Although I'm sure that isn't what you want, it's what I wanted because I love you so much and I love being with you. You make me happy but without you I just feel empty and that should't be. I rely on you to be my happiness and I need to learn to be happy without a man." Tears rolled down her cheeks.

"These past couple of months with you have been amazing. I have loved every moment I've spent with you and it's breaking my heart to let you go but I know that I need to heal. I need to work through my trauma and my triggers before I can fully dedicate myself to you because if I don't, I'll just keep self sabotaging and sabotaging us and that isn't something you deserve. You deserve the best, you deserve love, you deserve someone who's not as broken as I am and I can't be that for you right now and I am sorry." Essence said before starting to break down in her hands. "I'm so sorry."

Rome found himself tearing up as he stared at her. He could tell that she was breaking right in front of him and it was hurting him but he knew everything she was saying was the truth.

Right now they were just better apart and as much as he wanted to tell her she was wrong as fuck, he couldn't be selfish like that.

Scooting over to her, he pulled her into him and kiss her forehead. "I accept your apology and I thank you for apologizing. What I said to you was way worse and I'm sorry for that mama. We both hurt each other in that moment and it shouldn't have been that way. I love you so fucking much that it hurts and as bad as I want to disagree with you, I know it's for the best that we have time apart." He let a tear slip out of his eye. "You've been my light in the darkness these past couple of months and I love you for that. You've been my happiness, my best friend, my everything and although we ending this, Ima still be here for you regardless. Whenever you need me because this ain't goodbye for our relationship. It's a break until we both grow because I'm not letting you go that easily mama. Believe that." He expressed before grabbing her chin and making him look up at her.

"And I've heard about your trial and I'm sorry you never got to a chance to express that to me. If it's okay, I'd like to be there for you no matter if we together or not. I'm forever rocking by your side Essence because like I said, this ain't goodbye." He searched her eyes. "Will you let me be there for you mama?"

Essence stared into his eyes. "W-what you hear in that courtroom might make you look at me differently. You maybe be disgusted by me."

Rome clenched his jaw. "Hey, stop that right fucking now." He said sternly. "Nothing can ever make me disgusted by you, you hear me? You ain't did nothing wrong when it comes to that sick ass nigga. I will love you through the good and the bad, you know this. Don't do that."

"Okay." Essence mumbled. "I want you there. I really do." She said as they searched each other eyes. "I'm so sorry I can't be the woman you deserve right now. I'm sorry for hurting you."

"Shh mama." Rome leaned down and pecked her lips. "This is just a period of us being apart. Our hearts will collide again and when they do, we'll both be ready. Understand me?"

Essence nodded her head and closed her eyes to lay on him again. The two of them stayed like that for what felt like forever before Essence stood up and so did Rome. She locked her arms around him and stared up into his watery eyes. "Please don't cry." She frowned as they both reached up to wipe each other tears.

"I'm sorry mama. You got a nigga being soft." He said making them both softly chuckle. "I love you cupcake. Forever and always and remember, you mine, like I said, this is just a break.

Essence smiled. "I love you more bear, so much. And when we find our way back, I'll be healed, I'll be okay, I'll be the woman I want to be for you okay?"

Rome smiled. "Ima' hold you to it Babygirl."

They both smiled before leaning in for a passionate and lingering kiss. When they both pulled back, Rome gave her one last kiss to her forehead before pulling away from her and leaving.

Both of their hearts were hurting but at peace with their decision.

Thoughts?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Lost In You By Kat

Teen Fiction

1.3K 94 31
✗ "I'm sorry," I choked, the tears spilling down my cheeks. He shook his head and pulled me closer again. "Don't be sorry, just work on getting bette...
298K 5.9K 48
COMPLETED MADDY HAYES has never been the type of girl who listens to what other people have to say. She's mean, confident, and very, very intimidatin...
482K 11.3K 12
What some people don't realise is the person you love the most can also be the person to hurt you the most. Charlotte Evans had been in love with her...
7.4M 215K 78
To start over. That's what Alex Rose needed, after that night. That's what drove her out of her home in London, to New York, halfway across the wor...