The Prince of the Underworld

By kurenohikari

Being on the run from monsters was not something Nico had been expecting to do in his life. For all his love... More

ACT I - PART I
ACT I - PART II
ACT I - PART III
ACT I - PART IV
ACT I - PART V
ACT I - PART VI
ACT I - PART VII
ACT I - PART VIII
ACT I - PART IX
ACT I - PART X
ACT I - PART XI
ACT I - PART XII
ACT II - PART I
ACT II - PART II
ACT II - PART III
ACT II - PART IV
ACT II - PART V
ACT II - PART VI
ACT II - PART VII
ACT II - PART VIII
ACT II - PART IX
ACT II - PART X
ACT II - PART XI

ACT II - PART XII

84 5 4
By kurenohikari

Hi! How is everyone doing?

I hope you've all been enjoying this story as much as I have. Thank you for all the kudos and comments, they always bring a smile to my face whenever I see the notification.

With this chapter, the second act is over. Now, as much as I would love to continue with these bi-weekly updates, I've been feeling burned out with this story lately. As such I will be taking a small break before going back to finish it. Don't worry, it will be a month or two at most.

Thank you all for your support and please comment!

----------------------------

Jason's heart raced as he sprinted through the bustling streets of New Rome, his mind consumed with worry. He finally reached Nico's villa, a stunning structure gifted to him by the King of the Underworld after being bestowed by the title of Ambassador of Pluto.

The villa stood proudly, like a piece of ancient Italy nestled in New Rome. Its rugged stone walls and quaint details gave it a rustic, timeless appeal. The front garden was a riot of color, bursting with flowers that were worthy of the champion of the Goddess of Spring. It was like a slice of paradise in the middle of the city, but Jason barely spared a glance for its beauty as he burst through the door, his concern for Nico outweighing the awe that normally befell him whenever he was in the vicinity of the Italian villa.

Normally Jason was greeted by a warm, inviting atmosphere, as the rooms were spacious and filled with character, adorned with antique furniture and vibrant tapestries that hinted at a rich history. However, this time, as Jason barged in, the air now was thick with tension, and his senses were on high alert. He called out Nico's name, his voice echoing through the spacious rooms, but there was no response. Panic gnawed at his gut as he raced from room to room, searching for any sign of the Ambassador.

Finally, he found Nico in the dimly lit study, hunched over a pile of scrolls with furrowed brows. Relief flooded Jason as he rushed to Nico's side, his worry dissipating in the presence of the other boy.

"Ambassador, are you okay?" Jason asked, his voice filled with genuine concern.

Nico looked up, a tired smile gracing his lips. "Hey, Jason. Yeah, I'm fine. Just buried under a mountain of paperwork."

Jason's worry deepened as he listened to Nico's explanation. "But you should be resting, Ambassador," he insisted, his brow furrowed with concern. "You've been through a lot, and you need to take care of yourself."

"For the love of the Underworld, call me Nico. We are cousins, Jason," Nico chuckled tiredly, shaking his head. "Also, I appreciate the concern, I really do. But I can't just sit around twiddling my thumbs," he replied, his tone laced with frustration. "Being stuck in the Underworld for most of the summer was bad enough. I missed out on so much, and now that I'm back, I want to make sure everything's in order before the new school year starts."

Jason sighed, understanding Nico's determination but still worried about his well-being. "I get it, Nico. But you need to take care of yourself too," he insisted, his voice gentle but firm. "You've been through a lot and pushing yourself too hard won't do you any favors."

Nico's tired smile softened, and he nodded in acknowledgment. "I know," he admitted, his exhaustion evident in every line of his face. "I promise I'll take it easy once I get through this mountain of paperwork."

Jason smiled back, relieved to see Nico at least acknowledging the need for self-care. "That's all I ask," he said, his voice warm.

Nico leaned back in his chair, running a hand through his hair as he shifted gears from idle conversation to business mode. "So, Jason," he began, his tone serious yet tinged with gratitude, "how are the temples coming along? Any hiccups while I've been... indisposed?"

Jason straightened up, his expression shifting to one of focused determination. "No hiccups," he replied confidently, his gaze meeting Nico's. "Everything's been running smoothly. We've been following your plans to the letter."

A flicker of relief crossed Nico's features as he nodded in approval. "Good, good," he murmured, a faint smile playing at the corners of his lips. "I appreciate you taking charge of that while I've been stuck in the Underworld."

Jason waved off Nico's thanks with a grin. "Hey, no problem. It was the least I could do," he replied, his own exhaustion momentarily forgotten as he focused on helping his friend. "The temples turned out great, by the way. All the deities seemed pleased with the designs."

Nico nodded approvingly, a hint of pride flickering in his eyes. "Good to hear. The last thing we need is angry gods because their temples aren't up to snuff," he remarked wryly, a small smirk tugging at the corner of his lips.

Jason chuckled in agreement. "Yeah, that's the last thing we need," he agreed, his smile mirroring Nico's. "Anyway, once the praetors finish up the paperwork, I'll bring it straight to you. You shouldn't have to worry about going back to the Underworld until everything's ready."

Nico nodded in agreement, his expression grateful. "Thanks, Jason. I appreciate it," he said sincerely, his fatigue momentarily overshadowed by his relief. "And seriously, thanks for everything you've done. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Jason turned around, a teasing grin playing on his lips. "So, where's Hylla? I half-expected her to be here, refusing to let you out of her sight."

Nico groaned, rolling his eyes in exasperation. "Oh gods, don't even mention her," he complained, his voice tinged with mock irritation. "Hylla, Reyna, and Bianca practically smothered me in the Underworld. I've only just managed to escape, and now you're here to ruin my peace and quiet." He crossed his arms, pouting slightly. "Can't a guy enjoy a little solitude without his sisters breathing down his neck?"

Jason's laughter echoed through the room, mingling with the soft hum of conversation and the occasional rustle of paperwork. He leaned back in his chair, grinning mischievously at Nico as he teased, "I'm surprised you managed to shake them off for even a minute. I am still waiting for Hylla to show up here, and drag you back to the Underworld kicking and screaming."

Nico rolled his eyes, but there was a hint of fondness in his exasperated expression. "Oh gods, don't even joke about that," he groaned, his voice laced with mock despair. "I barely escaped with my sanity intact."

He leaned forward, resting his elbows on the desk as he lowered his voice conspiratorially. "Now that I'm finally free, I intend to enjoy my peace and quiet. So, no more talk of Underworld visits, okay?"

Jason chuckled, shaking his head in amusement. "Got it, no more Underworld talk," he agreed, his tone light. "But hey, if you ever need a break from the solitude, you know where to find me."

Nico's lips quirked into a small smile, a rare moment of vulnerability flickering in his dark eyes. "Thanks, Jason," he said softly, the gratitude evident in his voice. "I appreciate it more than you know."

As Jason watched Nico immersed in his paperwork, a genuine smile graced his lips. There was something about being around Nico that made him feel at ease, like he could truly be himself. In Nico's presence, Jason didn't have to live up to anyone's expectations or pretend to be someone he wasn't.

Camp Jupiter saw him as their golden boy, the one destined to be their next praetor. But deep down, Jason wasn't sure if that's what he wanted. He had spent his whole life having decisions made for him, from his arrival at Camp Jupiter to his leadership in the Fifth Cohort. The only choice he ever made for himself was to join the Fifth Cohort, a decision he made to prove himself.

But with Nico, it was different. Nico didn't expect him to be perfect or all-powerful like the other campers did. He accepted Jason for who he was, flaws and all, and that meant more to Jason than he could express. Which is why Jason had gotten so worried when rumors started swirling around New Rome about Mars going rogue, betraying Olympus, and attempting to kill Pluto's son. The thought sent a chill down Jason's spine.

He could have lost Nico and that... that would have broken him in ways Jason could not explain.

Jason, after a moment of hesitation, finally speaks up. "Hey, Nico... I've been hearing some pretty wild stuff lately. Like, the kind of stuff you hope for is just campfire gossip, you know? Rumor has it that Lord Mars stole both the Helm of Darkness and the Lightning Bolt. And, uh, there's talk that he came after you, too. Is any of that true?"

Nico paused mid-signature, his expression growing somber as he met Jason's gaze. "Yes, unfortunately, it's all true. He targeted both our fathers' symbols of power, and yeah, he paid me a not-so-friendly visit, just to add insult to injury." Nico explained as much as he could without revealing Camp Half-Blood and Percy's quest, finding a balance between two worlds was quite hard- especially, in situations like this one.

"That's... messed up. So, that's why you've been recovering for so long in the Underworld." Jason frowned with concern, a hint of anger simmering beneath the surface. "What about the items? Did they make it back to where they belong?"

"The Helm and the Bolt are both back in the hands of the Gods where they belong." Nico let out a heavy sigh, nodding slowly, before smirking viciously. "Lord Mars got what was coming to him, that's for sure."

Jason followed Nico's gesture, his eyes widening in surprise as he took in the golden carpet. "Woah, hold up. This carpet is... gold?"

As Jason stood upon the carpet, he could feel the plush fibers yield beneath his weight, cushioning his feet with their softness. Each step sent ripples of movement cascading through the golden threads, like waves lapping gently against the shore. It was as if the carpet itself was alive, pulsing with a vibrant energy that seemed to infuse the entire room with warmth and vitality. The fluffy golden carpet sprawled out beneath Nico was a sight to behold. It exuded an aura of luxury and extravagance, contrasting starkly with the rustic charm of Nico's Italian villa. Each thread seemed to shimmer with a golden hue, catching the light and casting a warm, inviting glow across the room.

Nico nodded, a faint smirk playing on his lips. "Yeah, that's the result of Lord Mars deciding to give it a... shall we say, unique makeover?"

Jason's eyes widened, as he realized what Nico was trying to say. "Wait... you mean to say that... this carpet has been dyed with his ichor!"

Jason's eyes widened in disbelief as Nico revealed the true origin of the golden carpet. A laugh bubbled up from deep within him, catching him off guard with its sheer absurdity. It was the kind of laughter that started as a mere chuckle but quickly escalated into full-blown hysterics, leaving Jason gasping for breath as tears of mirth streamed down his cheeks. Nico couldn't help but grin at Jason's reaction, his own amusement evident in the mischievous sparkle of his dark eyes.

As the laughter gradually subsided and a sense of calm descended upon them once more, Jason wiped away the tears from his eyes and regarded Nico with a newfound appreciation. "Remind me never to piss off your father," he said, his voice still tinged with residual amusement.

Nico raised an eyebrow in response, a smirk playing at the corners of his lips. "Actually, it was a gift from the Queen of the Underworld, not Pluto," he corrected, his tone laced with amusement.

"Well, in that case, remind me never to piss off your mother either." Jason chuckled, shaking his head in disbelief. "Thanks for the laugh, Nico," he said, his voice still tinged with residual amusement. "I needed that."

Nico nodded in understanding, a small smile playing at the corners of his lips. "Anytime, Jason. Anytime."

--- END OF ACT II ---

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.3K 301 17
Please be advised that this story may contain content which could be upsetting to some readers. --- Anna...
9.9K 282 41
I said I wouldn't post this, but here we are. (Updated summary) Percy Jackson has gone missing. Olympus has closed. Great, time for a new quest. Rach...
1.1K 21 27
You're emerging from your dark past. One day, after you've ran away, you find out that greek mythology is infact real, and you're surrounded by peopl...
9.9K 249 20
Percy Jackson is tired. Tired of the frivolous battles. Tired of all the quests. Tired from the countless deaths. But when something devastating hits...