Maybe this is where I belong...

By siobhanm515

In this story, Callie and Jude were never adopted because their mother never died and their father never went... More

Chapter 1.
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 4.
Chapter 5.
Chapter 6
Chapter 7.
Chapter 8.
Chapter 9.
Chapter 10.
Chapter 11.
Chapter 12.
Chapter 13.
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16.
Chapter 17.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 26.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 28.

Chapter 29.

216 6 1
By siobhanm515

Hey Readers! Enjoy :)

AMELIA'S POV:
"So you're telling me no screens for two weeks?!" I asked Mama when the doctor left the room. It was early the next morning and the doctors were finished running the all of these tests on me. I would only have to spend one more day at the hospital and then I could be discharged. I felt so thankful it was in time for the twin's 16th birthday party in a couple weeks.

"I'm sorry baby, but yes. No screens. I'm sure you'll figure out a way to make yourself busy. Jesus and Mariana's party is soon, I'm sure Mariana has a laundry list of things for you to help with." Mama teased as she kissed the top of my head. Mariana had been planning her party for quite some time and needed lots of help anyway. "I need to head to school for a little bit to do some paperwork, are you sure you're going to be okay by yourself, honey?" Mama asked gathering her things.

"Yeah, isn't Mom coming by though? She said last night she was going to before she went to work." I asked.

"Oh, bug." Mama sighed. "Mom got pulled into work early this morning, she's not going to make it. I'm so sorry. But you'll see her tomorrow morning when we bring you home, okay?" She said and walked over to kiss my forehead. I think Mama could sense my disappointment so she lifted my head to meet her eyes. "Amelia you know Mom has a demanding job, and she loves you so much. She would be here if she could, I can promise you that my love."

I nodded my head and gave her a soft smile. I was sad and disappointed. Not being home with my Moms has been extremely difficult and frustrating. Mama grabbed her bag and started for the door, "Try to read some of those books Jesus brought you, or there's a bunch of coloring books that Mariana gave you as well, honey."

I sighed and picked up a flower themed coloring book and started going through the pages. "Okay, okay."

"I will call you soon, lovebug. I love you so much." Mama said before leaving my room.

"I love you too, Mama."

STEF'S POV:
"She wasn't too upset, was she?" I asked Lena as I poured myself a cup of coffee from the office's pot.

"I mean she wasn't thrilled, Stef. I think she's feeling extremely isolated. Being in and out of the hospital, not knowing what's going on at home and not having social interactions like she would at school. She's getting a little stir crazy." Lena responded.

"Well she should have taken her injury more seriously or she wouldn't have a concussion." I responded. I knew I shouldn't have this mindset, but my anger and protectiveness gets the best of me.

"Stef, she's gonna be 14. She's still a little girl. She isn't going to take things as seriously as we would. And you know her reasoning for getting up that morning, she thought we all left her. And that's probably why she was upset about you not seeing her today." Lena's response caught me off guard, mainly because I never thought of it that way. I hadn't been going to the hospital every day like Lena was. Work shouldn't be an excuse, this was my daughter and she is in her most fragile state right now.

"You're right, love. You're right. How about I go to the hospital tonight and stay with her? I don't want Amelia thinking that she only has you. She has two Moms and I never want her to doubt that." I said.

"I think that's a great idea, babe." Lena responded. I was about to reply when my phone vibrated. It was Laura.

"Hey baby, it's Laura. Can I call you later?" I asked Lena. She could definitely tell the panic in my voice, as I never know how these conversations are going to go with her.

"Of course honey. Just call me back and let me know what she says, yes?" Lena responded.

"I will, love. I love you."

"I love you too." And with that, Lena hung up. I hit accept to transfer Laura's call.

I sighed in distress but attempted to compose myself and answered politely. "Hi, Laura. How are you?"

"Hi Stef, I'm good. I hope Amelia is doing well?" Laura responded in a cheery voice. Her voice was never this cheery, so I was really hoping for some good news.

"She's, ah, well. She's not doing too great. She fell her first night home and has a concussion." I took a deep breath to relieve some tension in my chest after saying those words, "But she's coming home tomorrow, thank God. Lena and I will be watching her like a hawk. So what's up?"

"Well as you know we need to try Amelia's birth parents and Patrick separately because of the charges. But the good news is, is that Patrick plead guilty to all of his charges. So Amelia does not have to testify at his trial." Laura said. My heart soared at this moment. I never wanted Amelia to testify at any trial, but this was better than nothing.

"This is great news, Laura. Thank you, thank you so much." I responded happily. "Do you know when Veronica and Dan's trial will be?" I asked hesitantly.

"In the coming weeks they will be setting a date. So unfortunately Ami is not out of the woods completely with that. Of course it is Lena and your decision as to if she testifies, but as you know being a police officer, a witness testimony is extremely valuable to this case." Laura reminded. I took another deep breath and sighed.

"I know. We haven't told Ami any of this yet. With her health, it's just too much for her to handle. And on top of all of this, since it's so late in the school year we think she will have to repeat eighth grade. This is all just a lot on our daughter and we're trying to protect her from as much as we possibly can." I said.

"I completely understand." Laura replied. "Let me know what you and Lena have decided and I will reach out to you when they have a date for their trial."

"Thank you, Laura. Take care." I said.

"You too." Laura said before the call disconnected. I laid back in my chair and rubbed my forehead with my fingers, trying to make my headache disappear.

"Rough phone call?" Mike asked as he sat on the edge of my desk.

"Just another lawyer phone call, another tough decision, another stressful day." I laughed dryly.

"For what it's worth Stef, you and Lena are doing a great job with Ami. B tells me how much she has gone through. She's really lucky to have you guys." Mike said.

"Thanks, Mike," I smiled, "We're, uh actually adopting her soon. Just have to get through all this messy medical stuff and lawyer drama." I laughed.

"B is going to be over the moon. I know he has Mariana but, I just see the way he talks about his sister relationship with Ami," Mike started, "It's really special."

I sat back and thought about what Mike said as he walked back to his desk and memories of Brandon and Ami came into my head and made my smile wide. A phone call from Lena stopped my day dreaming.

"Hey, baby. I was just about to call you. It was good news" I said to Lena answering the phone. I told Lena everything that Laura said to me on the phone and we agreed to talk more about it tomorrow and really think about whether we want Ami to be testifying against her birth parents.

******************

I got off the elevator of the hospital floor Amelia was staying on with an overnight bag hung over my shoulder. It was late, but I was hopeful Ami was still awake so she would know that I was here for her and she was and always is my priority. I walked into her room to find her asleep with a Harry Potter book draped over her chest. It was the sweetest thing I've seen in a while. I made my way over to her and slowly sat on the edge of the bed and took the book off her chest and set it on the bedside table. I stared at her for what felt like an eternity, just admiring how beautiful my daughter is. Long brunette hair, beautiful pale skin. She was mine, and I've never felt more whole. Her eyes started to flutter and she opened them slowly.

"Mom?" She said in her groggy voice.

"Hi baby. Surprised to see me?" I said smiling at her from ear to ear.

"I thought you were working." She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and sat up. I handed her a bottle of water as I put a strand of hair behind her ear and kissed her forehead.

"Well. Mama and I would never let you stay a night here by yourself now would we, huh?" I grabbed her hands and kissed them.

"Mama told me that you weren't coming." She said, looking down and not making eye contact. I knew that one was coming. The more time Ami has spent in our family, the more she speaks her mind. It's remarkable, how open she has been with us through this journey. I needed to welcome it and not shut it down.

"You're right, love. I told you I was going to come and I didn't. And I'm really sorry. But I'm here now, okay? You are so incredibly important to me, baby. I don't want you to ever feel like I am going to leave you, you hear me?" I said, attempting to look into her eyes. She nodded her head in a quick manner, pulling at a loose string on her hospital blanket. Fidgeting with things was one of her coping mechanisms. I knew she was thinking of something, wanting to say something. I grabbed her hands yet again and bowed my head to meet her eyes.

"My love, look at me please. Please baby." I pleaded. She quickly wiped a falling tear with her pajama shirt and shook her head.

"It-It's nothing, Mom." She tried to convince me, "Honestly. Isn't it late? Shouldn't we go to bed?" She asked.

"If you think we're going to bed not solving this then you have another thing coming my love." I informed her with a smirk.

She took some time to come around, but she finally rose her head to meet my gaze, her eyes glossy and red.

"I was really scared. And I know it was stupid... so stupid because I've never felt more safe than being home with you guys. But," she stopped and struggled to stop the falling tears, "When I woke up and didn't see you next to me ... I th-thought you left me. I-I'm so used to people leaving, and you are the last person on Earth that I would ever want to leave me ... I just love you so much and ... I-I don't know what I'd do without you M-Mom." Amelia was struggling to get her words out over her sobs. I wrapped my arms around my baby girl tight and shushed her until her breathing slowed. My heart tore into pieces with her words. I never ever wanted her to feel this way, especially about me. My whole world is this girl in my arms. She is the one who made our family complete and I would stop at nothing to make sure she feels safe and secure in this family.

I continued to shush her and whisper sweet words into her ears until her tears stopped and her breathing finally went back to normal.

"There we go my love. That's it nice and slow." I encouraged her, "Alright Ami girl time to listen, yes?" I lifted her chin to meet my gaze. She sniffled and nodded her head. "My sweet, sweet love. I could go on and on about what you mean to me, your Mama, and your siblings. Your quick wit, your perseverance, your love, your selflessness. All of the amazing characteristics you possess are why we love you more than words can describe. Baby, there is nothing, and I mean nothing that could make me leave you. You are my daughter, my baby. My little girl. I am never ever going to leave you. I can promise you that with everything I have in me. You are stuck with me, you got that?" I connected my nose to hers and smiled against it. "Ami, you should never ever be worried or scared to share how you feel with me or Mama or any of your siblings. We are here for you no matter what. We've got you sweets." I kissed the side of her face a couple times so she would smile, and mission accomplished she did.

I continued to rub the side of her arms as mine were wrapped around her. She let out a sigh and I knew her well enough to know there was more going on in that mind.

"Okay, spill." I broke the silence.

"What do you mean spill?" She questioned.

"I might be old to you and your siblings but I wasn't born yesterday, and I know you baby. What's on your mind, huh?" I asked as I kissed her temple yet again.

"I ... I know there's going to be a trial. I wasn't born yesterday either you know."

"There's my sassy daughter I know and love oh so much." I interrupted and laughed. This girl is going to keep Lena and I on our toes forever.

"But seriously though Mom, can we just talk about it? Please? It's only fair I know what's going on. I'm going to testify. I want ... I need this chapter of my life to be closed. Forever. And the only way to do that is to make sure that those people go away forever." She said.

In that moment, I truly have never been more proud of my daughter. Amelia has been through more than most people in their entire lifetime. She was determined not to let it get the best of her.

"Oh my love," I started, "You are something special. Tell you what, when you come home tomorrow, me, you and Mama can sit down and talk this through, yes?"

"Okay, but I want you guys to hear me out. I want a say, this is really important to me, Mom." She said adamantly.

"I hear you, love. I hear you." I reassured my eager daughter. I took her face in my hands. "We will talk when we get home, I promise." I kissed both sides of her cheek a couple times each. "Now please get some sleep baby, you need your rest." I got up and made sure she had everything she needed on her bedside table. I bent down and kissed her once more, "I will be sleeping right here if you need me. Goodnight my baby, I love you so much."

"Goodnight, Mom. I love you too." She responded and smiled.

AMELIA'S POV:
I was beyond ready to go home. As boring as the next couple weeks are going to be without screens to keep me busy, I can't wait to be in my own bed and to see my siblings. Moms were filling out the rest of the paperwork as I was getting dressed, with the help of Mariana. My hip injury was still painful and the walker was unfortunately still in the picture, but my family was right, the only way to get better was to start taking it seriously.

"Okay, Ami please go slow ... okay take your left leg, lift it up." Mariana said as she slid my pants up my legs and slowly lifted me to a standing position to get them on. Once they were on, she slowly lowered me back down on the bed. I've never felt sibling love before, but the bond Mariana and I had was something special.

"Thank you, Mariana. I'm sure it's not fun to help your little sister get dressed." I responded in an embarrassed tone.

"Ami, don't." She reassured, "You need to start accepting the help. And besides, the quicker the recovery, the quicker you'll be ready for dance team next year!" She exclaimed. Her comment reminded me that it was the last couple weeks of school. I've missed so much, it was giving me a lot of anxiety and stress. Maybe Moms will let me take summer school to catch up. Just another thing to figure out. My thoughts were causing my chest to feel tight and I couldn't see things clearly. I could hear my name echo in the distance and Mama's hands on each  side of my face brought me back to reality.

"Bug? Are you alright? We've been calling your name. It's time to go home, my love." Mama said, concern growing in her face. The episodes that my anxiety was causing me had been happening more frequently, but that's another stress on my Moms' plates and that is the last thing I want for them.

"Oh, yeah! I'm sorry. I'm good, all good. Ready to go home." I tried to convince them with the excited tone in my voice. Mariana believed it, beaming from ear to ear. But my Moms still eyed me suspiciously.

Mama wheeled me out of the hospital room as Mom carried my bags and Mariana followed quickly behind. A sense of Deja vu followed me through these hallways. I hope this is the last time I am in these hallways for a long, long time

              *****************

Thanks for reading! Kind of a buffer chapter, but I have a lot planned. Keep on voting/commenting! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.7K 1.2K 21
Brandon is faced with Callie disappearing, finding her, and then figuring out how to keep her with him forever. It might not work, and it's risky, bu...
76.2K 3.3K 78
The final book in the Affair Series, where we follow Stef Foster on a path of self discovery and healing from her past wounds. Will she finally be a...
127K 4.2K 66
Stef Foster and Lena Adams are two women who are serving 10-15 years in prison for manslaughter. As Lena initially fears the blonde they soon fall d...
131K 3.6K 60
Lena Adams is in an abusive marriage to a man as she tries to raise young Callie (6) and Mariana (5). She is terrified to leave until a cop comes al...