THE TRUTH UNTOLD | Harry Pott...

By softjinri

Haunted by her second year and now with a murderer on the loose, Gwenevere Everill finds herself facing more... More

𝗴𝘄𝗲𝗻𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗹𝗹
𝗖𝗔𝗦𝗧
𝗣𝗔𝗥𝗧 𝟭
𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗰𝘂𝗿𝘀𝗲
𝗶𝗶 | 𝗱𝗿𝗮𝘄𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗺 𝗴𝗼𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗽
𝗶𝗶𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗸𝘆 𝗰𝗮𝘂𝗹𝗱𝗿𝗼𝗻
𝗶𝘃 | 𝗰𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗸𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸𝘀
𝘃 | 𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗟𝗲𝗮𝗸𝘆 𝗖𝗮𝘂𝗹𝗱𝗿𝗼𝗻
𝘃𝗶 | 𝗱𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘀
𝘃𝗶𝗶 | 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝗼𝗴𝘄𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘀
𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶 | 𝗱𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻
𝗶𝘅 | 𝗯𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗯𝗲𝗮𝗸
𝘅 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗼𝗴𝗴𝗮𝗿𝘁
𝘅𝗶 | 𝗰𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗸𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸𝘀 𝘃𝘀 𝘀𝗰𝗮𝗯𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁... 𝘄𝗵𝗼 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄𝘀
𝘅𝗶𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘂𝗻𝘀𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝘅𝗶𝗶𝗶 | 𝗵𝗼𝗴𝘀𝗺𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗲
𝘅𝗶𝘃 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗵𝘂𝗻𝘁 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝗶𝗿𝗶𝘂𝘀 𝗯𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗸
𝘅𝘃 | 𝘀𝗻𝗮𝗽𝗲'𝘀 𝘁𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴
𝘅𝘃𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗵𝘂𝗳𝗳𝗹𝗲𝗽𝘂𝗳𝗳 𝗴𝗮𝗺𝗲
𝘅𝘃𝗶𝗶 | 𝗹𝘂𝗽𝗶𝗻'𝘀 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗺𝗶𝘀𝗲
𝘅𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗿𝘂𝘁𝗵 𝗿𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗲𝗱
𝘅𝗶𝘅 | 𝗵𝗮𝗴𝗿𝗶𝗱'𝘀 𝗱𝗲𝘀𝗽𝗮𝗶𝗿
𝘅𝘅 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲𝗯𝗼𝗹𝘁
𝗣𝗔𝗥𝗧 𝟮
𝘅𝘅𝗶 | 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗺𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗲'𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗼𝗿𝘆
𝘅𝘅𝗶𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗼𝗻𝘂𝘀
𝘅𝘅𝗶𝗶𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗼
𝘅𝘅𝗶𝘃 | 𝘀𝗰𝗮𝗯𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝘃𝘀 𝗰𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗸𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸𝘀: 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗮𝗹𝗲
𝘅𝘅𝘃 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝘃𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗹𝗮𝘄 𝗴𝗮𝗺𝗲
𝘅𝘅𝘃𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗻 𝗼𝗳 𝘀𝗶𝗿𝗶𝘂𝘀 𝗯𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗸
𝘅𝘅𝘃𝗶𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗮𝗹 𝗵𝗼𝗴𝘀𝗺𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗽
𝘅𝘅𝗶𝘅 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗲𝗻𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝗺
𝘅𝘅𝘅 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗾𝘂𝗶𝗱𝗱𝗶𝘁𝗰𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗮𝗹
𝘅𝘅𝘅𝗶 | 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗸𝗲𝘀 𝗮𝘂𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗿𝗶𝘁𝘆
𝘅𝘅𝘅𝗶𝗶 | 𝗲𝘅𝗮𝗺 𝘀𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗼𝗻
𝘅𝘅𝘅𝗶𝗶𝗶 | 𝗯𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗯𝗲𝗮𝗸'𝘀 𝗳𝗮𝘁𝗲
𝘅𝘅𝘅𝗶𝘃 | 𝘀𝗶𝗿𝗶𝘂𝘀 𝗯𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗸
𝘅𝘅𝘅𝘃 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗿𝘂𝘁𝗵 𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗼𝗹𝗱
𝘅𝘅𝘅𝘃𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝘁'𝘀 𝗮 𝗺𝗮𝗻
𝘅𝘅𝘅𝘃𝗶𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗲𝗿𝗲𝘄𝗼𝗹𝗳
𝘅𝘅𝘅𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶 | 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗺𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗲'𝘀 𝘀𝗲𝗰𝗿𝗲𝘁
𝘅𝘅𝘅𝗶𝘅 | 𝘀𝗻𝗮𝗽𝗲'𝘀 𝗼𝘂𝘁𝗯𝘂𝗿𝘀𝘁
𝘅𝗹 | 𝗳𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘄𝗲𝗹𝗹 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗳𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗼𝗿 𝗹𝘂𝗽𝗶𝗻
𝘅𝗹𝗶 | 𝗷𝗼𝘂𝗿𝗻𝗲𝘆 𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗲
𝗕𝗢𝗢𝗞 𝟰

𝘅𝘅𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶 | 𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝗲𝗻𝗱

19 1 0
By softjinri

Gwen felt the tears spill over her eyelids as Hermione held out the letter.

'He-- he sent me this...'

The letter was smudged with fat teardrops that it was hard to read in places. Harry took it, holding it out for Gwen and Ron to read:

Dear Gwen and Hermione,

We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed.
Beaky has enjoyed London.
I won't forget all the help you both gave us.

Hagrid

'They can't do this,' said Harry, handing the letter back as Gwen wiped at her face. 'They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous.'

'Malfoy's dad frightened the committer into it,' said Hermione, sniffing. 'You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared. There'll be an appeal, there always is. Only I can't see any hope... nothing will have changed.'

'Yeah it will,' said Ron fiercely. 'You'll have my help this time.'

'Oh, Ron!'

Hermione flung her arms around Ron's neck and broke down completely, startling both Gwen and Harry. Ron, looking quite terrified, patted her very awkwardly on the top of the head. Finally, Hermione drew away.

'Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers...' she sobbed.

'Oh, well, he was old,' said Ron, looking thoroughly relieved that she had let go of him. 'And he was a bit useless. You never know, Mum and Dad might get me an owl now.'

Despite her tears, Gwen caught Harry's eye, and the two of them shared a secret, relieved smile. It was good to be back, the four of them, once again.

• • •

The safety measures around the school now meant that it was impossible for Gwen, Harry, Ron and Hermione to go and visit Hagrid in the evenings. Their only chance to speak to him was during their Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

He seemed numb with shock at the verdict.

''S'all my fault. Got all tongue tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up for me. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Comittee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em...'

'There's still the appeal!' said Ron fiercely. 'Don't give up yet, we're working on it!'

They were walking back up to the castle with the rest of teh class. Ahead, they could see Malfoy, who was walking with Crabbe and Goyle, and kept looking back, laughing cruelly.

''S'no good, Ron,' said Hagrid sadly as they reached the castle steps. 'That Committee's in Lucius Malfoy's pocket. I'm jus' gonna make sure the rest o' Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that...'

Hagrid turned and hurried back to his cabin, his face buried in his handkerchief.

'Look at him blubber!' Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle had been standing just inside the castle doors, listening. 'Have you ever seen anything quite as pathetic?' Malfoy said. 'And he's supposed to be our teacher!'

Harry and Ron both made furious moves towards Malfoy, Gwen reached for her wand, but Hermione got there first.

There was a loud smack and Malfoy staggered backwards. She had just slapped Malfoy around the face with all the strength she could muster.

Gwen, Harry, Ron, Crabbe and Goyle stood flabbergasted as Hermione raised her hand again.

'Don't you dare call Hagrid pathetic, you foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach--!'

'Hermione!' Ron said, somewhat half heartedly, as he tried to grab her hand as she swung it back again.

'Get off, Ron!'

Hermione pulled out her wand; Ron looked to Gwen for help, who shrugged, smirking, sending him a look that said, 'She's got this.' Malfoy stumbled backwards. Crabbe and Goyle looked at him for instructions, thoroughly bewildered.

'Come on,' Malfoy muttered, and the next moment, the three of them had disappeared into the passageway to the dungeons.

'Blimey, Hermione,' Gwen said, unable to suppress her grin. Hermione's face was red with fury. Harry and Ron were looking at her, half stunned, half impressed.

'Harry, Gwen, you'd better beat him in the Quidditch Final!' Hermione said shrilly, breathing harshly. 'You just better because I can't stand it if Slytherin win!'

'We're due in Charms,' said Ron, still goggling at Hermione. 'We'd better go.'

They hurried up the marble staircase towards Professor Flitwick's classroom.

'You're late!' Professor Flitwick said reprovingly as Harry opened the classroom door. 'Come along, quickly, wands out, we're experimenting with Cheering Charms today. We've already divided into pairs--'

Gwen, Harry and Ron hurried to their usual seats, Gwen taking her place next to Lisa Turpin who greeted her warmly. She looked around for Hermione, who usually sat in front of them next to Padma Patil, but she was not there. Gwen stared around, bewildered, catching Harry and Ron's gazes who were sharing the same sentiment.

'Where's Hermione?' she mouthed, and the boys shrugged. Gwen knew she had been next to them when they entered, but the seat next to Padma Patil remained empty. Perhaps she had gone to the bathroom. Gwen and Lisa listened to Professor Flitwick, and began their Cheering Charms with the rest of the class, but Hermione did not turn up all lesson.

'She could have done with a Cheering Charm on her,' said Ron as he, Gwen and Harry regrouped after the class, which were now all grinning broadly and left with a great feeling of content after they'd had their Cheering Charms cast.

Hermione wasn't at lunch either, and by the time Gwen, Harry and Ron had finished their desserts, the Cheering Charms were wearing off and they were beginning to get worried.

'You don't think Malfoy did something to her?' said Ron anxiously as they hurried up the stairs to Gryffindor Tower.

'He hasn't got the balls,' Gwen said firmly, although she too had her concerns.

They passed the security trolls, gave the Fat Lady the password, and scrambled through the portrait hole into the common room.

Hermione was sitting at a table, fast asleep, her head resting on an open Arithmancy book. They went to sit down around her table, and Harry prodded her awake.

'Wh-what?' said Hermione, waking with a start and staring around wildly. 'Is it time to go? Which lesson have we got now?'

'Divination,' Gwen said, 'but that's not for another twenty minutes. Hermione, why didn't you come to Charms?'

'What? Oh no!' squeaked Hermione. 'I forgot to go to Charms!'

'But how could you forget?' said Harry. 'You were with us till we were right outside the classroom!'

'I don't believe it!' Hermione wailed. 'Was Professor Flitwick angry? Oh, it was Malgoy, I was thinking about him and I lost track of things!'

Gwen, Harry and Ron shared a concerned look.

'You know what, Hermione?' said Ron, looking down at the enormous Arithmancy book Hermione had been using as a pillow. 'I reckon your cracking up. You're trying to do too much.'

'No, I'm not!' said Hermione, brushing her hair out of her eyes and staring hopelessly for her bag. 'I've just made a mistake, that's all! I'd better go and see Professor Flitwick and say sorry... I'll see you in Divination!'

Hermione joined them at the foot of the ladder to Professor Trelawney's classroom twenty minutes later, looking extremely stressed.

'I can't believe I missed Cheering Charms! And I bet they come up in our exams. Professor Flitwick hinted they might!'

As the four of them emerged into Professor Trelawney's stifling little classroom, they noticed on every table were glowing crystal balls full of pearly white mist. Gwen, Harry, Ron and Hermione all squeezed around the same rickety table.

'I thought we weren't starting crystal balls till next term?' Ron muttered.

'Don't complain,' Harry whispered. 'This means we've finished palmistry. I was getting sick of her flinching every time she looked at my hands.'

Hermione rolled her eyes. Gwen caught her in an exasperated look.

'Good day to you!' said the familiar, misty voice, and Professor Trelawney made her usual dramatic entrance out of the shadows. Parvati and Lavender inhaled excitedly on the table next to Gwen, their faces lit by the milky glow of their crystal ball.

'I've decided to introduce crystal balls a little earlier than I had planned,' said Professot Trelawaney, seating herself with her back to the fire and gazing around. 'The fates have informed me that your examination in June will concern the Orb, and I am anxious to give you sufficient practice.'

Hermione snorted. 'Well, honestly...' she said to Gwen. '"The fates have informed her"... who sets the exam? She does! What an amazing prediction!' She hadn't bothered to keep her voice low, and it was hard to tell if Professor Trelawney had heard, as her face was hidden in shadow. She continued, however, as though she had not.

'Crystal gazing is a particularly refined art,' she said dreamily. ;I do not expect any of you to See when you first peer into the Orb's infinite depths. We shall start by practising relaxing the conscious mind and external eyes so as to clear the Inner Eye and the superconscious. Perhaps, if we are lucky, some of you will See before the end of class.'

Ron was sniggering so uncontrollably he had to stuff his fist in his mouth. Harry was sitting back, suppressing his smile and looking as though he would rather be anywhere else, and Gwen and Hermione were fighting to stay awake. They spent a solid ten minutes, which felt like at least three hours, staring into the fog in the crystal ball. It was difficult to stay focused when Ron kept breaking into silent giggles and Hermione kept tutting. Gwen couldn't stop herself from grinning and kept catching Harry and Ron's eyes, which made her fight to stop herself from laughing.

'Seen anything yet?' Harry asked them after fifteen minutes of quiet crystal-gazing.

'Yeah, there's a burn on this table,' said Ron, pointing. 'Someone's spilled their candle.'

'Can anyone make out what this says?' Gwen asked, pointing at a scribble on the table. 'I've been trying to figure it out this whole time.'

'This is such a waste of time,' Hermione hissed. 'I could be practising something useful. I could be catching up on Cheering Charms--'

Professor Trelawney rustled past.

'Would anyone like me to interpret the shadowy potents within their Orb?' she murmured over the clinking of her bangles.

'I don't need help,' Ron whispered. 'It's obvious what this means. There's going to be loads of fog tonight.'

Gwen. Harry and Hermione all burst out laughing.

'Now, really!' said Professor Trelawney, as everyone's heads turned in their direction. Parvati and Lavender were looking scandalised. 'You are disturbing the clairvoyant vibrations!' She approached their table, and Gwen's heart sank.

'Here we go,' she whispered to Hermione. Gwen was willing to bet everything she owned, all her gold, her entire house, that Professor Trelawney was, once again, going to predict Harry's death.

'There is something here!' Professor Trelawney whispered, lowering her face to the ball so that it reflected twice in her huge glasses. 'Something moving... but what is it?'

Ron held his breath, stopping himself from bursting into laughter again. He caught Gwen's eye, who had to fight hard to not break her curious facade.

'My dear...' Professor Trelawney breathed, gazing up at Harry. 'It is here, plainer than ever before... my dear, stalking towards you, growing ever closer... the Gr--'

'Oh for goodness sake!' said Hermione loudly. 'Not that ridiculous Grim again!'

Professor Trelawney raised her enormous eyes to Hermione's face. Parvati whispered something to Lavender, and they both glared at Hermione, too. Professor Trelawney stood up, surveying Hermione with unmistakable anger.

'I am sorry to say that from the moment you have arrived in this class, my dear, it has been apparent that you do not have what the noble art of Divination requires. You may be young in years but the heart that beats beneath your bosom is as shrivelled as an old maid's, your soul as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave. Indeed, I don't remember ever meeting a student whose mind was so hopelessly Mundane.'

There was a moment's silence. Then--

'Fine!' said Hermione, suddenly getting up and slamming Unfogging the Future onto the table. 'Fine!' she repeated, swinging her bag over her shoulder and almost knocking Gwen off her chair. 'I give up! I'm leaving!'

And to the whole class's amazement, Hermione strode over to the trapdoor, kicked it open and climbed down the ladder and out of sight.

It took a few minutes for the class to settle down again. Gwen was wishing she had followed Hermione's example and left the classroom too. Professor Trelawney seemed to have forgotten all about the Grim, and she turned abruptly from Gwen, Harry and Ron's table, breathing rather heavily as she tugged her gauzy shall more closely to her.

'Oooh!' said Lavender suddenly, making everyone start. 'Ooh, Professor Trelawney, I've just remembered! You saw her leaving, didn't you? Didn't you, Professor? "Around Easter, one of our number will leave us forever"! You said it ages ago, Professor!'

Professor Trelawney gave her a misty smile.

'Yes, my dear, I did indeed know that Miss Granger would be leaving us. One hopes, however, that one might have mistakens the Signs... the Inner Eye can be a burden...'

'Maybe if you hadn't stood there and insulted her, maybe she wouldn't have left,' Gwen said loudly.

Professor Trelawney turned her huge eyes on Gwen now. 'What did you say, my dear?'

'You heard me,' Gwen said angrily. 'What teacher speaks to a student like that?'

Lavender and Parvati were glaring daggers into Gwen's back. Professor Trelawney continued to stare at Gwen, unblinking. 'Fiercely loyal as you are, Miss Everill, don't mistake my words for cruelty. The fates had predicted this moment, my dear, and who am I to dispute the dealings of fate...'

Gwen inhaled deeply, biting her tongue. She was not about to start an argument in Divination of all classes, there were much more important things, but she couldn't help the fury at Trelawney's spiteful words. As Professor Trelawney moved to sit with Lavender and Parvati, Gwen brushed her hair back from her face. She hadn't even noticed it had turned crimson.

'Some day, Hermione's having,' Ron whispered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 33.5K 152
☄︎ ⋆·˚ ⋆ *. ⇒ 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐂𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐎𝐍 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐒 Eleanor Lupin hates her life. This isn't an overstatement. She's barely allowed to do...
72.7K 2.2K 25
❝𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧'𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐬?❞ -𝒓.𝒂.𝒃. ➝ In a world of shadows and secrets 𝙍𝙤𝙭𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙚...
4.9M 147K 95
Two burning hearts that dared to break Remeber, nobody said that it would last forever. Harry Potter, the boy who lived, had always felt as if everyo...
1M 29.5K 182
-ᴍᴀʀᴀᴜᴅᴇʀs ᴇʀᴀ ❁ -ʀᴇᴍᴜs ʟᴜᴘɪɴ ❁ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝘙𝘦𝘮𝘶𝘴 𝘓𝘶𝘱𝘪𝘯 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘪𝘮𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧 𝘨𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦...