𝘅𝘅𝘅𝘃𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝘁'𝘀 𝗮 𝗺𝗮𝗻

Hermione screamed

Hermione screamed. Black leapt to his feet. Gwen raised her wand, jumping as though she had been shocked by a bolt of Electricity.

  'I found this at the base of the Whomping Willow,' said Snape, throwing the cloak aside, careful to keep his wand pointed directly at Lupin's chest. 'Very useful, Potter, I thank you...'

  Snape was slightly breathless, but his face was full of suppressed triumph. 'You're wondering, perhaps, how I knew you were here?' he said, his eyes glittering malevolently. 'I've just been to your office, Lupin. You forgot to take your Potion tonight, so I took a gobletful along... very lucky I did, for me, I mean. Lying on your desk was a certain map. One glance at it told me all I needed to know. I saw you running along this passageway and out of sight.'

  'Severus,' Lupin began, but Snape overrode him.

  'I've told the Headmaster again and again that you've been helping your old friend Black into the castle, Lupin, and here's the proof. Not even I dreamed you would have the nerve to use this old place as your hideout--'

  'Severus, you're making a mistake,' said Lupin urgently. 'You haven't heard everything-- I can explain-- Sirius is not here to kill Harry--'

  'Two more for Azkaban tonight,' said Snape, his eyes now gleaming with a sort of maniacal glee. 'I shall be interested to see how Dumbledore takes this... he was quite convinced that you were harmless, you know, Lupin... a tame werewolf...'

  'You fool,' said Lupin softly. 'Is a schoolboy grudge worth putting an innocent man back in Azkaban?'

  BANG! Thin, snake-like cords burst from the end of Snape's wand and twisted themselves around Lupin's mouth, wrist and ankles; he swayed and fell to the floor, unable to move.

  Gwen didn't even think about what she was doing. She shot a spell straight at Snape; he blocked the curse, turned his cold eyes on her--

  BANG! The cords spurted from the end of his wand-- Gwen managed to block them, but Snape was quicker--

  BANG! Those same cords snapped themselves around Gwen's mouth and throat, snapped around her wrists and her wand clattered to the floor. She tried to gasp for breath, but the ropes were tightening around her neck--

  With a roar of rage, Black started towards Snape, but Snape pointed his wand straight between Black's eyes.

  'Give me a reason,' he whispered. 'Give me a reason to do it, and I swear I will.'

  Black stopped dead. It would have been impossible to say which face showed more hatred. Gwen's eyes began to dim, her nostrils working overtime to get air into her lungs.