The Overwatch Story

By TareqALM

The Overwatch lore made into a single continuous story. All content belongs to Blizzard. This is fan fiction... More

Prologue - The Omnic Crisis
Chapter 1 - Chaos Within Order
Chapter 2 - A Friend
Chapter 3 - Kings Row
Chapter 4 - what it could be
Chapter 5 - Rise and Shine
Chapter 6 - Dragons
Chapter 7 - The Crusader's Oath
Chapter 8 - High Noon
Chapter 9 - The Iris
Chapter 10 - Ghosts
Chapter 11 - A Perilous Healer
Chapter 12 - Justice Reigns From Above
Chapter 13 - New Blood
Chapter 14 - Infiltration
Chapter 14.5 Infiltration (2)
Chapter 15 - Kanezaka
Chapter 16 - The Calm Before The Storm
Chapter 17 - A Storm Brews
Chapter 19 - Just in Time
Chapter 20 - New Recruits
Chapter 21 - Music in Rio
Chapter 22 - Appreciation

Chapter 18 - Liberation

19 3 0
By TareqALM

Lena's eyes opened suddenly with a hand onto her chest. She was sweating profusely. The pain of the bullet tearing through her chest woke her. This wasn't the first time she has had nightmares of the incident but it's the first time to be shot in a dream. She had slept all night and the next day has already started. She went to the sink and looked at her reflection. Her pupils were dilated; adrenaline pumping. She washed her face and after regaining her composure stepped out of her room. Winston and Mei were nowhere to be found.

"Athena, where are they?"

"Winston and Mei and in the training, area trying out Mei's new backpack. They are about to finish their last round. Mei is doing pretty well against the yeti," Athena Replied.

Lena walked over to the elevator that takes her down to the training area. When the door to the elevator closed, she realized what Athena had just said.

"Yeti?!"

"You'll know soon enough."

The elevator door opened to the control room which has a computer operating system and glass windows to the arena. The training room is an advanced simulated space that can generate a wide variety of terrains and weather conditions for training and skill development purposes.

Lena walked over to the windows to see what was happening below. The environment was set for snowy terrain with a blizzard. Lena thought it must have been Mei's choice since she has spent the last decade in Antarctica. As the weather started clearing, she was able to spot Mei through the storm but what caught her attention was the large Yeti that was rushing towards her. Lena felt the need to step in to assist Mei before Athena spoke to let her know it's only Winston with a holographic design. Mei fought off Winston pretty well until he yielded.

Winston returned to the control room while Mei was still in the arena. Winston's hologram was no longer there and he was back to his regular self.

"Blimey Winston! You almost gave me a heart attack."

"Haha, Mei was struggling fighting me at first so Athena and I decided to give her a bit of motivation. She did pretty well I'd say. She was able to defeat me multiple times," Winston Replied.

"Only because you let me!" Mei giggled as she replied over comms.

"Tracer, the modulator is ready, I'll go get it ready upstairs. In the meantime, how about going a few rounds with Mei?" Winston asked politely.

Lena thought a bit of practice could benefit her as well and get her mind off of certain things. She nodded, picked up two pulse pistols from the weapons racket and headed out into the arena. Even though it was a blizzard, the temperature wasn't freezing.

"Don't go easy on me"

"Aaw rubbish! I never go easy." Tracer replied with a smirk before setting off blinking all round Mei.

Mei's blaster can work by firing frost icicles or producing a concentrated short-range frost that can. If Tracer wasn't blinking, she would have been severely impacted by the frost. Since this is a training arena, all the weapons are non-lethal and do not cause any real damage; instead, the computer system calculates the total damage taken to determine the end of a round. Another way for the round to end is for someone to yield if they were held at gunpoint at point blank or at a sword's end.

Multiple rounds have gone by where Tracer has come out victorious. Even though Tracer's blink direction and distance can be anticipated and calculated, Mei found it difficult to keep up with her since it's her first time. In one of the rounds, Tracer threw a pulse bomb, which Mei blocked with her ice wall. The explosion did hit Tracer but the computer didn't end the round, signifying it wasn't enough damage. Mei wanted to try something new she has been working on. However, the computer system doesn't have it installed and so it wouldn't be a simulation. She knew it shouldn't cause any real harm and so convinced herself it's okay to use. As Tracer was blinking around her, she pulled Snowball from her backpack and threw it toward Tracer.

"Freeze! Don't move," Mei said.

Surprised by the change of tactics, Tracer couldn't react in time. Snowball released a gust of wind and snow from underneath. It seems that snowball was strategically sitting on the backpack charging up for this. Tracer found herself frozen in place unable to move, blink, or recall out of the situation. Mei walked over to Tracer and held her blaster to Tracer's head.

After a few seconds, snowball returned to Mei's backpack and the ice melted. Tracer was able to move again.

"Brrrrr. I... yield," Tracer said as she shivered in place.

"Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry," Mei said as she shied away from Tracer.

"It's okay. Really... I'm just cold. That was a good round. I guess there are certain things I can't escape either."

"New data calibrated to the training system database." Athena said. This indicates that Mei's freeze ability has been added to the database and the system can now generate its identical effects by manipulating the training environment. (This would be through locking the player's boots in place and deactivating their weapons to simulate freezing).

"Tracer. Mei. You need to come see this. Come up as soon as you can." Winston's voice came from the speakers.

"That's coming from the base speakers. It must mean he's at the main computer making the announcement." Tracer explained to Mei as they both began walking towards the exit. The arena lights started dimming as they entered the elevator and headed upstairs.

Winston was focused on the large television screen above the computer when Tracer and Mei joined him. They stood in silence watching the news.

"Uproar in King's row as Omnics have begun raiding stores and fighting officials. Could this be another Null Sector uprising incident similar to the one that took place a few years ago?" The news reporter said on the television.

"Winston hand me the modulator, meet me at the square. I'll go ahead of you and try to find Iggy. Maybe. Maybe it can help calm things down." Tracer said as she pointed at the modulator in Winston's arms.

Given the current state of things, Tracer put her armor on just in case and darted out of the base toward King's row. Along the way she kept thinking how she would contact Iggy; she never took any contact details. She was just hoping she would run into her again in the same place she found her yesterday. Tracer reached the Bakers and began blinking around trying to catch sight of Iggy somewhere. It was chaotic; people were running away, police officers with batons and shields moving together toward the square, and fires were started in countless alleyways. Amongst all the madness she heard someone call out to her.

"Lena! Here!"

Without hesitation, Tracer blinked towards the call. It was Iggy in one of the alleyways, hiding from the police. Tracer was glad she was not injured.

"Iggy! What happened?! I have the modulator."

"Oh...that's great..." Iggy said but looked down. "It's too late... The grid failed. We now need an entirely new grid and everyone was upset. Kace, one of the leaders down in the underworld, rallied everyone to storm King's Row.

"Let's go, my team is heading there. We need to stop this before anyone gets hurt." Tracer said as she took Iggy's hand whilst thinking about Mondatta.

At the square, Winston and Mei were making sure civilians get out of harm's way. After all civilians were safe, they started helping the injured and attempting to de-escalate the situation. Winston returned to Mei's side to tell her what he learned from speaking to the officer in charge.

"They refuse to listen. They want to remove all resistance completely. With whatever means necessary. The omnics need to retreat but they won't listen either."

"What do we do, Winston? Mei asked, concerned.

"Protect as many as we can. Build walls and provide cover for them."

Winston provided cover with his shield projector and turned a few cars over for Omnics to use as cover. Mei used her blaster to create temporary ice wall barriers for them as they ran into cover. Tracer and Iggy, joined by Hazel and Izzy along the way, had caught up to Mei and assisted. After a few minutes, the barricade that Winston made with vehicles was pushed to the side and multiple large sonic cannons were through. These cannons produce sonic pulses that can incapacitate or even kill Omnics at high intensity. They were used during the Omnic crisis. Tracer never thought they would see the light of day again.

The omnics were not afraid and remained in the square as the cannon were charged up. Each Overwatch member headed toward a cannon to prevent it from being fired. However, there were only three of them and there were 5 cannons. Each of them was able to block or destroy a cannon. Tracer used her pulse bomb on the fourth after pulling away any officers from the blast radius.

None of them were able to reach the last cannon as it charged up ready to fire; Hazel stood in front of the cannon using her own body as a shield for her fellow Omnics. Hazel's body fell to the ground as the light in her bedroom eyes went out.

Out of anger, Winston launched himself in the air and landed on the cannon, destroying it in the process. The officers working the cannon were injured and fell backwards as the device got crushed underneath Winston's giant arms. The two officers retreated back into the crowd of force marching into the square. There were even more cannons being dragged into the fight now. The rageful Winston, continued to launch himself at the cannons but was simply way too outnumbered.

"Winston, we need to leave. We need your help."

With the sudden turn of events, the Omnics started fleeing out of the square telling each other to head back to the underworld. Iggy and Tracer were carrying Hazel's body and dragging it to the underworld. When Winston snapped out of his rage, he returned to carry Hazel's body and assisted in their return. A thought crossed over Tracer's mind: did I fail to save someone again? 

The Underworld no longer had that warm light cozy ambience. It was dark, grim and cold. Hazel's body was kept on a table while many Omnics stood around her. In the distance, the Overwatch members were standing in silence devastated by the events that unfolded. The Omnics were handling their friend's death better than they did. Which made them angrier because it only means that the Omnics are used to losing their loved ones. Iggy broke the silence and spoke whilst standing next to Hazel.

"We are a single generation of species. We only have each other. Mondatta taught us that we are all one. When one of us dies, the whole of us are that much smaller. When one of us ceases to be, a part of us ceases to be. We hold onto what we have lost. We keep it close to us to remind us of the part of us we have lost."

Iggy grabbed onto Hazel's body and pulled off a metal piece from it. She opened her blouse and revealed her metal chest. Izzy nearby had a torch in her hand and began welding the metal piece onto her chest. All the Omnics began doing the same until nothing was left on the table. Hazel was gone but at the same time, she was everywhere and a part of everyone.

Tracer approached Iggy slowly. "I'm so sorry Iggy. That was a beautiful ceremony."

Iggy remained quiet and held a hand onto her chest where a part of Hazel now is embedded into her. Tracer, Winston and Mei scanned the now dark underworld to assess its state. The silence of the grid was deafening. Some whispers are heard from around the corners but the majority of omnics had a look of defeat and devastation.

Monitors all over the underworld have suddenly come online. Holograms have started functioning as well. It was unsure where they were drawing power from. A spark of hope emerged in Tracer and Iggy as more omnics stood up approaching the lit-up screens. The screens and holograms were not displaying anything for about a minute until a logo appeared.

Oh no! Tracer thought to herself. She has seen this logo in the past. It was about two years ago when it was last seen and it left a massive impact on Kings Row. This is the worst possible time for them to make an appearance. The omnics are vulnerable and in need of hope. But not this. Not them.

A voice spoke across all the screens.

"My fellow Omnics, this is Null Sector. Since our creation, humans have oppressed us. You have lived in fear. That ends Now! Do not be afraid. This is not war. This is liberation. We will shatter the chains that have held you in servitude. This marks a new era; one of equality, of unity. Conflicts and strife will be relics of the past. Together, working as one, we will lift our people. Together, of one mind and purpose, we will make this world a paradise. The humans will fight us... "change" frightens them. WE frighten them. They believe we're not their equals. Together we will prove them wrong. Do not betray your fellow omnics by defending injustice. Join us. Take your place at our side. Only together will our strength manifest. Only as one will we ascend. We welcome you into the Iris."

The entire facility went dark again. All the screens went offline. Chatter has begun amongst the Omnics in the crowd. Iggy was still in her state of grief. Tracer looked over at Mei to see concern. Things look like they are about to tip over as people started demonstrating agreement with Null Sector.

An omnic wearing a red cape stood atop the table; the same table that Hazel was on. He was the same omnic who led the attack against Tracer in the alley outside the Underworld yesterday.

"When one of the humans die, another comes into the world. We are all we have. We are one generation. We only have each other. Two of us are gone now. And what are humans doing?" The red caped omnic paused before he continued. "Waging war against us. It has always been this way since we came to enlightenment."

Tracer couldn't remain quiet and spoke up. "It doesn't have to be war! Whoever started this, we can stop it. We can stop it from-"

"Says you Overwatch soldier. Was that what you fought for, to stop wars? Or to kill omnics?"

"I fought for peace."

"And yet we are still at war."

Tracer looked down. "I fought for Mondatta."

"And yet he died under your watch! You fought for them. You have already chosen a side, Tracer." Kace lifted his arm to point toward the exit. "Leave this place. You are not one of us."

Tracer felt she is becoming the target at the moment. However, she wasn't afraid for herself; instead, she was worried about Mei and Winston; she dragged them down here and now it might be unsafe for them to remain.

"Kace, this is not what Mondatta wanted! Mondatta fought for Omnics. Not against humans." It was Iggy who finally broke her silence.

The crowd seemed split in between supporting Iggy or Kace. As they exchanged further words the tension grew and the omnics began pushing one another. Winston pulled Mei close to his side as he tried to close this distance between Tracer and himself, but given his size, that was not easy. As their arguments became heated, the crowd began to favor Kace.

"You brought a human to the underworld. You brought the person who did not save Mondatta. She could not take the bullet for Mondatta. And yet you are still her friend. Tell me Iggy are you really on the omnics side? Or do you stand in the Omnics way!?" Kace said as he pulled a gun from underneath his robe and fired at Iggy.

I have never called myself anything other than a soldier. My mission was to always protect the ideas, the people, the omnics, the movements that make the world better. That's me, that's what I do. At any cost!

Without hesitation, Tracer blinked to push Iggy out of the way. But she knew the bullet would hit someone else if she only pushed her. This time, Tracer put herself in the bullet's path. She saved Iggy but took the bullet herself in the process. It lodged itself into the chronal accelerator and pierced her chest. She tried to recall once Iggy was safe. However, with her chronal accelerator broken she couldn't control her abilities and ended up doing further damage to herself. The bullet ended up hitting her over and over.

The crowd was in a state of shock. Some began to flee while others were rioting. Kace was nowhere to be seen. Winston pushed through the crowd to find Tracer laying on the ground in Iggy's arms. She was alive, but unconscious. Winston picked her body and rushed to exit the underworld with Mei. Tracer needed a hospital because the bullet was lodged into her lung. Even though Winston cared for the omnics and wanted to help them, his friend was in dire need of help as well.

-------------

Credit to the artists: Nicola Saviori, Mercy-gone-bad, Midjourney, Wenfei Ye 2016, AmyGraphic, Caleb Crow

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.5K 710 14
Reaper x Soldier fanfiction. Have to do this one. As a Reaper Main it is my duty to write this book. Expect smut and language. If you don't know Over...
5.3K 50 24
(Complete) Idk what to really put here, its a love story between Tracer and a Male Talon agent so um...enjoy? πŸ˜‡ They're working now! The pictures th...
1.1K 22 8
An Overwatch Story with a couple of ships in it. Like my other work it's mostly just everyday life with hurdles coming up, highs and lows. A few date...
5.5K 277 30
Mature story! Will contain 18+ content! Old soldier Jack Morrison had been alone since his disappearance. He had faked his death and was on the run...