Anabasis of the Northern Sea

By KageNishi

In 1943, the Japanese Empire found itself squeezed between the military powers of the United States and the S... More

PART 1: TALES OF THE FAR EAST | 1. Red Fleet
2. The First World War and the Postwar Order
3. The Setback of the Washington System
4. Iron Lions of Gongzhuling
5. From the Window of the Asia Express
6. Xinjing, Capital of Manchukuo
7. Preparation for Deployment
8. Wartime Fleet Organization
9. Sea Lanes in the South China Sea
10. Naval Base in the Shinnan Islands
11. Cruising to Dalian
12. Research No. 2
13. Special Envoy to the United States
14. White House's Perception of Foreign Affairs
15. The Distressed Kwantung Army Headquarters
16. The Army and the Manchurian-Mongolian Railway Network
17. Difficult Defense of Manchuria
18. The Navy's Confusion
19. Sea Power as a Deterrent
20. Cabinet Mass Resignation
PART 2: RED SHADOW OF THE NORTH | 21. The Third Yamato-class
22. National Unity Cabinet
23. America's Eye
24. Second Katsunoshin Yamanashi Cabinet
25. Preparing for War with the Soviet Union
26. Mantetsu's Agony
27. The Manchurian Settler Communities, a Conundrum
28. Kwantung Army's Operational Policy
29. Endurance Operation in Manchuria
31. The Search for an Averted Soviet-Japanese War
32. The Army General Staff's Unresolved Issue
33. Concept of the Primorsky Krai Operation
34. The Navy's Operational Plan Against the Soviet Union
35. Armaments of the Imperial Navy
36. The Red Tsar of the Kremlin
37. Japan's Diplomacy at a Standstill
38. The Other Side of the Third Reich
39. Preparing for a Clash
40. Gunfire in Month 8, Shōwa 19
Major Documents of the Japanese Empire's Cabinet, Army, and Navy
PART 3: SOVIET-JAPANESE WAR BEGINS | 41. Ominous Sign
42. North Manchurian Air War's Start
43. Air Defense of the North Manchuria Oil Field
44. Shiden Kai's Sword
45. Hutou's Giant Cannons
46. Cabinet Meeting Immediately After the Outbreak of War
47. The Soviet Union Declares War on Japan
48. Soviet Operation Plan Against Japan
49. Soviet Navy Pacific Fleet
50. Stalin's Strategy for the Far East
51. War Starts in Korea and Southern Karafuto
52. Hesitation of the Combined Fleet Headquarters
53. Air Operations in Manchuria
54. The US's Attitude Toward the Soviet-Japanese War Outbreak
55. First Naval Battle
56. Flash off Kamchatka
57. The First Arrow of Counterattack
58. Invasion of Korea
59. Naval Battle off the North Korean Coast
60. Diplomatic Fallout
Main Materials of the USSR as of August 1944

30. Defense of Southern Karafuto

20 3 0
By KageNishi

"Manchuria and Karafuto seem to be quite different places, don't they?" Lieutenant Colonel Sueo Ikeda, who had disembarked at the port of Ōdomari in southern Karafuto, remarked while surveying his surroundings.

The region around the Siping Army Tank School where Ikeda had previously served as an instructor was characterized by vast plains stretching to the horizon. On the other hand, Ōdomari, where Ikeda had landed, featured undulating terrain even within the urban area, with mountains to the north. The vegetation here was also different from that of Manchuria. The townscape was dotted with simple Japanese-style houses. The scenery conveyed the sense that this was a semi-interior area.

"Now, I suppose we must head further north from here."

Ikeda glanced back at the port, where transport ships were docked. Derrick cranes were lifting Type 3 Chi-Nu medium tanks, and lowering them onto the harbor. These tanks were the equipment of the 11th Tank Regiment, which Ikeda had recently been appointed as the regimental commander, transitioning from his role as an instructor at the Siping Army Tank School.

The deterioration of relations between Japan and the Soviet Union had necessitated defense measures, not only in Manchuria but also elsewhere. In the case of a conflict with the Soviet Union, southern Karafuto and the Chishima Islands would also become frontlines. Therefore, to reinforce defense capabilities, the 11th Tank Regiment was deployed to Sakhalin.

The 11th Tank Regiment, along with the 10th Tank Regiment, formed the 4th Tank Brigade. However, due to the upgrade of equipment to Type 3 medium tanks, the 4th Tank Brigade had been withdrawn from Manchuria to the interior. In exchange, the 3rd Tank Division (the backbone of the 5th and 6th Tank Brigades) had completed equipment upgrades and training in the interior and was dispatched to Manchuria. As a result, the 11th Tank Regiment, with its equipment updated, was allocated to the defense of Karafuto.

The serious consideration of Karafuto's defense began in 1939. Until then, the island had only a minimal force consisting of a reserve infantry company formed by a few garrison units and veterans' associations. However, considering the reinforcement of Soviet forces in northern Sakhalin, on May 11, 1939, the Army organized a mixed brigade in Karafuto. As of April 1944, this brigade consisted of about 4.000 troops, including infantry, mountain artillery, and engineers, organized into individual regiments.

The Karafuto Composite Brigade established its headquarters near Shisuka, close to the Japanese-Soviet border (50th parallel north), and was responsible for the defense of the area north of Nairo to Esutori. As for the southern area, it fell under the jurisdiction of the 7th Division, with its headquarters in Asahikawa, Hokkaidō.

And when the 5th Army, responsible for the defense of Hokkaidō, Karafuto, and the Chishima Islands, under the command of Lieutenant General Kiichirō Higuchi, was established on February 18, 1944, the 4th Tank Brigade, which had been undergoing equipment upgrades and training in the interior, was incorporated under its command. As a result, the 10th Regiment was deployed to the Chishima Islands, and the 11th Regiment, led by Ikeda, was deployed to Karafuto.

Additionally, to guard against a direct Soviet landing on Hokkaidō, a part of the 4th Tank Division, established for mainland defense in Narashino, was also placed under the command of the 5th Army. Furthermore, the mobilization of the Reserve 7th Division, which would later become the 77th Division, was gradually progressing.

On the Chishima Islands, the construction of the Kita-Chishima Fortress, centered on Paramushir Island, was underway. The establishment of Army airfields, which previously only existed at the Kitanodai Airfield on Paramushir, was rapidly progressing. Two airfields, Miyoshino (on Shumushu Island) and Uruppu (on Urup Island), had already been completed. Additionally, naval airfields constructed by the Navy on Paramushir, Matsuwa, and Tennei (on Etorofu Island) were being expanded for joint Army-Navy use.

On the other hand, although fortifications were not being constructed in Karafuto, the construction of airfields was progressing more rapidly than in the Chishima Islands. At nine locations – Shisuka, Ochiai, Nairo, Ketan, Toyohara (the capital of Karafuto Prefecture), Shotoi, Konotoro, Nayori, and Toro – airfield development was underway. Especially, the airfield at Konotoro was being constructed as a large-scale facility capable of accommodating heavy bombers. In addition to the 5th Army, there were about 5.000 personnel of the Navy's Chishima Base Force in the region.

Moreover, unlike Manchuria, Karafuto and the Chishima Islands faced the sea, allowing for support from naval vessels. The Fifth Fleet operated in this area, and an agreement known as the "Agreement Between the Land and Naval Commanders of the Northern Pacific Theater" had been concluded between Lieutenant General Kiichirō Higuchi, the commander of the 5th Army, and Vice Admiral Kiyohide Shima, the commander of the Fifth Fleet.

However, just like in Manchuria, the Army's plans for offensive operations against the Soviet Union in Karafuto and the Chishima Islands had traditionally been emphasized. Initially, the plan was to seize northern Karafuto at the onset of hostilities, followed by the occupation of vital points on the Kamchatka Peninsula and Primorsky Krai across from Karafuto. However, with the transition of the Army's plans in Manchuria to a protracted campaign, the Army's plans for operations against the Soviet Union in Karafuto and the Chishima Islands had also shifted to a protracted strategy.

Especially with the reinforcement of the Soviet Pacific Fleet, the possibility of a large-scale amphibious operation against Sakhalin and Hokkaidō became a concern. As a result, the 7th Division in Hokkaidō had to strengthen its defenses in the western part of the island. The mobilization of the Reserve 7th Division aimed to defend the lightly defended eastern part of the island.

In Karafuto as well, there was a need to guard against not only the southward advance of Soviet forces from the northern border but also the possibility of amphibious operations in the south. Therefore, the newly organized 30th Guard Unit was tasked with enhancing the defense posture in the southern region of southern Karafuto, which is Japanese territory. Including the 11th Tank Regiment led by Ikeda, the forces stationed in Karafuto were planned to be placed under the command of the Karafuto Composite Brigade.

As a new challenge emerged in Sakhalin's defense, which was the direct Soviet invasion of Hokkaidō, it was deemed impossible for the 7th Division to reinforce Karafuto if the Japanese forces there became isolated and the Soviet forces landed in Hokkaidō. Thus, currently, the defense of Karafuto was expected to be carried out solely by the forces stationed there. Therefore, the Karafuto Composite Brigade was constructing defensive positions in the northern border areas. The main force of the brigade was constructing the Mount Happō position about 11 kilometers from the border, while the 30th Guard Unit was reinforcing defenses in the Notoro Peninsula in the southern part.

Once the landing of equipment and personnel led by Ikeda's 11th Tank Regiment was completed, they were scheduled to proceed to Shisuka, the garrison town of the brigade. The Horonai Plain where Shisuka is located was the largest plain in all of Karafuto. However, it posed the difficulty of becoming a low-lying marshland of 1 to 4 meters in depth during the thawing period, making it unsuitable for tank maneuvers.

However, in this region, a road called the Central Army Road was constructed, leading from Shisuka through Keton towards the Japanese-Soviet border area. It was believed that this Central Army Road and the forested areas to its west allowed sufficient passage for the advancing Soviet forces aiming southward. On the other hand, to the west of the Central Army Road lay the Western Karafuto Mountain Range, also covered with coniferous forests. However, from Horomi Pass to the Handa border area, a width of approximately ten kilometers, there were few obstacles in the form of trees, making it also conceivable for Soviet troops to pass through.

In other words, due to geographical considerations, it was highly likely that the advancing Soviet forces would deploy their main forces in the region centered around the Central Army Road. This area was the only terrain along the Japanese-Soviet border where the passage of large units was feasible. Therefore, it could be said that the decision to deploy the 11th Tank Regiment to Shisuka was made by the Karafuto Composite Brigade.

"Nevertheless, it seems that the harbor facilities and railways are not as developed as in Manchuria."

While observing the unloading operations from the transport ships, Ikeda muttered to himself.

Though Shisuka, the destination for the 11th Tank Regiment, was also a port town, the low port capacity necessitated the transport ships carrying the regiment to dock at Ōtomari. In southern Karafuto, only Ōtomari Port and Maoka Port on the west coast could accommodate ships of 3.000 tons or more. In the event of Karafuto becoming a battlefield, it would undoubtedly pose difficulties for the swift transportation of troops and supplies using railways and vessels.

Ikeda pondered this, tightening his resolve even further in anticipation of the possible Soviet-Japanese conflict that might arise.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6M 391K 74
Losing this war means captured by the enemy empire and considered as their prostitutes and servants. Dreaming that situation made my heart race even...
My Sin By XxMeixiangxX

Historical Fiction

1.7M 69.1K 65
Liu Quiaqio, the Empress of the Jin Dynasty has given his heart, soul, and body to the emperor, he loved him to the point it exhausted him, but the c...
419K 16.9K 52
Eren lives in a abusive home, where he is burned, cut, kicked, and hit. He's ready to give up on life, and be with his mother. No one loves, cares, o...
2K 82 22
One- shot Request Story SS only!