MELTING A FROZEN HEART

Da serene_fictionist

Raelynn Baker A woman who escaped the viciously blinding nights of forced prostitution. Snatched from the emb... Altro

Author's Note
Meet the leads!!!
MARINO FAMILY TREE
Prologue - HIM
Prologue - HER
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 27

1.9K 243 71
Da serene_fictionist

200+ Votes!

----NOTE----

Dear readers, I'm extremely sorry for the delayed update and thank you for the patience!

----NOTE ENDS----

RAELYNN

As the slow moving wind toyed with my hair, disturbing me while eating, I was startled when rough calloused fingers gently brushed against my cheek, moving the hair strands off of my face and tucking them behind my ear.

Feeling strange in my chest, I turned to him.

Looking at his eyes that were gazing at me with an unrecognizable emotion, I froze, staring deep into his gray eyes that were being illuminated by the dim rays from the slowly rising sun, trying to gauge the emotion in them.

At that moment, he spoke up, his deep voice so flawlessly calm and gentle that it felt more tranquil than silence itself.

"That's the color of your eyes.", he stated gently, referring to the color of the sky while the sun's coming up.

I broke out of the daze and turned to look at the orangish dark sky slowly brightening up with each passing second.

My lips parted in awe at the breathtaking beauty of the vast sky and it's brightening hues as my chest felt light yet my heart became heavy with a whirlwind of emotions.

"You look surprised.", Vincent commented calmly.

I am.

For ten years now, I have never been able to stare into my own eyes for more than a few seconds due to the ugly memories they bring forth. These amber eyes, the ones I had once been very proud of, have become a doorway to the suppressed nightmares lying in a deep corner of my mind.

'Amber'

I used to be called by that name in the broth*l.

And indeed, life had been an endlessly depressing autumn in that dirty cellar and ever since my eyes have become terrifying to look into.

Tears stung my eyes at the overwhelming storm within me and I wanted to freeze time at that moment, stop the sun halfway in its rising and stare endlessly into that varying shades of amber hued sky.

Until now, my eyes were a depressing autumn, but he has showed me that they can be a magnificent dawn too.

Controlling the tears from falling, I gulped the lump in my throat, while basking in the peaceful silence for the next few moments.

"We need to leave.", Vincent said, standing up after a while, breaking the silence.

Staring at the beautiful scenery one last time, I stood up.

As I turned around to walk to the car, I found him already a few steps ahead of me.

I involuntarily took a few fast steps and held his hand, halting him in his tracks.

He turned to me, his eyes immediately concealing the surprise under his usual stoicness and raised a brow, questioning my actions.

Feeling overwhelmingly emotional, I clutched his hand tightly, slowly moving closer.

Not intending to show my tears, I lowered my eyes and leaned my head on his shoulder blades softly, clutching his t-shirt in a tight fist, my cheeks and nose growing warm due to the flooding emotions, a strange sense of relief spreading in me as his scent invaded my nostrils.

Thank you.

I wanted to say it, but my voice wouldn't come out, my lips trembling in a desperate attempt to keep my tears and sobs suppressed while my chest heaved up and down in heavy breaths.

When I felt his strong arms engulf me in warmth, the tears finally fell, cascading down my cheeks, past my quivering lips and onto my racing heart.

I stood there, engulfed in his warmth for a while until my swirling emotions calmed down slowly.

Embarrassment creeped in once I came back to my senses.

Clearing my throat, I let go of his shirt and moved back as he retracted his hands from around me.

Looking everywhere but at him, I waited for him to speak up.

"We should return back.", he spoke up, clearing his throat.

I nodded in response and we soon got into the car and started out drive back to the mansion.

All through the ride, none of us spoke up as an awkward silence prevailed in the air and through my peripheral view, I could see his ears tinted with a faint shade of red and that in turn coated my cheeks with the same shade.

A soft smile curved my lips as his words replayed in my mind and refused to leave despite my efforts to maintain a stoic.

We soon reached the mansion and walked in together, but were ambushed by his siblings, waiting for us in the living room.

I moved a little closer to Vincent and whispered so only he could hear.

"They told me you never experienced being caught breaking the rules, so ....", I trailed off, concealing a smirk.

I deliberately sent them a picture of him while he was driving.

"You sneaked out.", Dylan commented, looking at Vincent with a narrowed gaze.

I looked up to my side at him and he was already looking at me with a stern gaze.

"Why are you all up so early on a weekend?", Vincent asked calmly, dodging the topic.

"Ren sent me a picture of you driving. I was shocked that you both were out so early and woke everyone up.", Ashton replied.

I deliberately sent it to him.

The girls would have covered up for their brother and so would Theodore, Dylan and Ace. Only Ashton would stir up trouble.

Vincent looked at me with a flat gaze and I gave him a pretentiously friendly smile.

"The rules were very clear.", Ashton started calmly.

"Yet you dared to break them.", Dylan shook his head as if disappointed.

"You broke three rules, Vince.", Arianna stated seriously.

"One, not sleeping on time. Two, sneaking out at night. Three, hiding the truth.", Angelina added firmly.

"Above all, it was very reckless of you to risk your safety.", Theodore joined in.

"And breaking rules will lead to punishment.", Ace pointed out sternly.

I stifled a laugh at their attempt to imitate him.

Vincent leaned against the door frame, folding his hands over his chest, his lips slightly curved up at the ends in amusement.

"What's the punishment then?", he asked, raising a brow, deliberately intimidating them, daring them to speak up.

They huffed and glared at him at his intimidation.

Not letting the chance go, I stepped up.

"The punishment is ...", I trailed off in suspense, standing in front of them, facing him.

He raised a brow, his eyes mischievously challenging mine.

"You're grounded.", I said firmly, looking him in the eyes, smirking faintly.

"Is that so?", he raised a brow, amused.

"Yes. Come on, kids, list your brother's unhealthy habits that need to be stopped.", I stated haughtily.

"No coming home late.", Angelina spoke up first.

"No working overtime.", Ace added.

"No working on the weekends.", Arianna pointed out.

"No skipping meals.", Ashton stated.

"No bossing us around.", Dylan said.

Vincent laughed at their words as his face contorted into a peaceful smile.

His siblings went silent for a moment, gazing at their elder brother, surprised and happy to see him laughing freely.

"I'm not the only one who broke them though.", Vincent commented mischievously, gesturing towards me.

"Yes, all the rules apply to you too, Ren.", Angelina exclaimed.

"In that case, there's one more rule to add. No pestering me.", Ashton added dryly, glaring at me.

"That's extremely hard to do though.", I sighed pretentiously.

"You love bullying us, don't you?", Dylan gave me an irritated frown.

"Absolutely right!", I nodded seriously.

Vincent's phone started ringing, so he left to attend the call.

I looked at the siblings and they looked extremely happy, having seen their brother laugh carefreely and I couldn't help but smile at their innocent love for him.

Soon, all of us dispersed to our rooms to complete our morning chores.

Gathering in the dining room for breakfast, we were waiting for Sofia to bring in the plates.

Just then, Vincent's father walked in, much to my irritation.

However, I maintained my calm and ignored him.

He took his seat while the kids went utterly quiet too, annoyance clear on their face.

The breakfast was a silent affair and everyone once again dispersed to their own activities and so did I to my room.

After working on some pending work for a few hours, I walked out to the living room, knowing well that's where one or the other sibling would be present.

However, this time, it was their father.

Turning around, I was going to leave, but his words halted me.

"I have something to talk to you.", he stated seriously.

Out of respect for Vincent, I sat down on the sofa to hear this man out.

"What's your name?", he asked calmly.

"If your son has not told you that, I'm afraid I cannot either.", I replied politely.

"I don't need to know it anyway. I'll come straight to the point. Why are you here?", he asked sternly.

"You should ask your son.", I answered calmly.

I remember Vincent telling me not to trust anyone except himself, Theodore and Cavin. I assumed I shouldn't trust his father either.

"Don't act smart, woman. I can destroy your life in the blink of an eye.", he warned, his tone firm.

"You're too weak for that.", I shook my head with a slight contemptuous smile.

He clenched his jaw in irritation.

Before he could speak up, the twins walked in, interrupting the conversation.

"Why're you talking to him?", Ashton asked, frowning.

I shrugged slightly.

"I'll offer you as much as you want. Leave this house within a day.", his father ordered me, anger evident in his tone.

"Can you stop with that nonsense already!", Ashton intervened, frustrated.

"Don't meddle in adults' matters. Go, call your brother.", he ordered sternly.

"He's in the middle of some work. Can you give him a break for once!", Ashton exclaimed, annoyed.

"Ashton.", his father warned him.

"What's wrong in what he's asked, dad? Why don't you leave Vince in peace?", Ace intervened, irritated.

I sat there, getting annoyed each passing second.

"Your brother is wasting his time with a nobody like her and you all are supporting him?", he questioned angrily.

"Watch your words, Mr. Marino.", I warned coldly.

He looked at me, slightly taken aback, but composed himself quickly.

"A standardless girl mooching off of my house and threatening me in return? Is this what your brother ha-", he was saying, but I cut him off.

Feeling rage wash over me at his insults, midway through his sentence, I picked up the fork from the fruits plate on the coffee table and threw it straight at his neck, but just an inch to the right and it went piercing the sofa beside his neck, halting his words.

The twins looked at me, shocked, and so did their father.

"You -", their father stood up angrily, taking a step towards me.

Ace stepped in quickly and stood in front of his father.

"Dad -", he tried to stop his father, but was cut off by a harsh slap.

The room went utterly silent as Ace stumbled back a little and I rushed to him and held his hand.

"Are you stupid? Why would you hit your own son?", I raised my voice angrily.

"You disgust me!", Ashton yelled at his father, standing by his twin's side.

His father raised his hand yet again, but I pushed the twins back on reflex and held his hand midair.

"Stop it! You're hitting your children over an argument with me?", I asked, anger bubbling in me.

He pulled his hand back from my hold as his eyes pierced into mine with pure hatred.

"Their father is attacked in front of their eyes and they're supporting the culprit. Is this how low your brother taught you to stoop?", he raised his voice coldly, looking at the twins angrily.

They flinched slightly and hesitated to speak up at the intimidating aura of their father.

"You have no right to criticize Vincent for teaching them manners, which you clearly lack.", I commented in disdain.

"Raelynn", Vincent's sharp voice came from behind us.

The twins and I turned around and there he was standing with a stern look on his face, clearly displeased.

Theodore was standing right behind him, looking at us in confusion.

"What's going on here?", Vincent questioned in a stern tone.

"You never fail to disappoint me, Vince. It is humiliating to see my children raised so poorly.", his father commented with extreme disappointment lacing his tone.

For a split moment, I saw a jolt of pain flicker in Vincent's gray eyes, but it disappeared as soon as it came.

I don't know why, but it fueled my anger even further.

"Have some shame not to blame others' efforts to conceal your own failures.", I retorted sharply.

"Enough.", Vincent cut me off sternly.

Before I could speak, he beat me to it and the words he spoke next halted me in my tracks, stinging me sharply,

"I don't appreciate a guest meddling in my family matters."

************************************************************************************************

Phew! That was a long chapter!

How was the chapter?

Ren hugged Vince! 🥰

Well, the siblings enjoyed imitating their brother. 😂

Why did Vince say something so hurtful! 😭

Do not forget to vote, comment and follow.

Do follow me on Insta with the same ID.

Yours lovingly,

Author.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerร  anche

1.4M 33.9K 46
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
226K 4.5K 17
โžค STARTED SEPTEMBER 2021 โžคFINISHED FEBRUARY 2022 adriana hernandez , didn't have the best upbringing of life, her life was always secretive, her fam...
842K 70.1K 34
"Excuse me!! How dare you to talk to me like this?? Do you know who I am?" He roared at Vanika in loud voice pointing his index finger towards her. "...
503K 20.6K 200
โž  [ INCORRECT ENHA SERIES #1 ] โœ… โ ๐–๐‡๐€๐“ ๐ˆ๐’ ๐„๐๐‡๐˜๐๐„๐? ๐€๐‹๐‹ ๐ˆ ๐Š๐๐Ž๐– ๐€๐‘๐„ ๐‡๐ˆ๐‹๐€๐‘๐ˆ๐Ž๐”๐’ ๐ˆ๐๐‚๐Ž๐‘๐‘๐„๐‚๐“ ๐„๐๐‡๐˜๐๐„๐ ๐๐”๏ฟฝ...