Water Under the Bridge || Eva...

By aprilmoonlight16

In which, Josephine attempts to overcome the losses amid saving lives in the city. [911 SEASON 3-4] More

water under the bridge
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty one
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty three
chapter twenty four
chapter twenty five
chapter twenty six

chapter twenty seven

704 39 7
By aprilmoonlight16

the endless dark tunnel

Carla bid Josephine goodnight upon her departure from Diaz's residence. Josephine continued to clean up the rest of the kitchen after dinner. Today has been a long day between this house and the 118 Firehouse. Considering the tragedy that had struck their house earlier that morning where one of their own was admitted to surgery from being gunned down on the field.

It has left everyone edge.

However, Eddie wasn't the only firefighter targeted by a sniper earlier today. Another firefighter got wounded on another dispatch call. All of this seems like more than a coincidence.

Bobby pulled the 118 from being on call for the rest of the day. They were stationed outside of the hospital waiting for the news about Eddie instead.

Meanwhile, Josephine and Buck had the hardest job bringing the news to Christopher. Josephine accompanied her boyfriend to support him since he witnessed their best friend being gunned down. She could imagine how his mind must've been paralyzed between shock and fear.

Busying herself in the kitchen was the distraction from the constant phone calls of her concerned family members and friends. She couldn't blame them since the headlines were vague about which firefighters were attacked. She could recall her mother gasping in relief the second she answered her call.

Josephine's phone sounded off on the counter. She nearly choked on a sob after reading the text Bobby sent her.

Eddie was out of surgery. And according to the doctor it went well.

Buck had entered the kitchen to find his girlfriend standing in the middle of the room in silence.

"Hey, did you receive Bobby's text?"

Josephine sniffled, perking her head up at his arrival. "Yeah, I did. It's really good news. How's Christopher holding up?"

"Strongest kid I've known." Buck uttered with a faint laugh. "Comforting me when I should be the one comforting him."

"I'm sure your company is enough."

Buck nodded along, "Yours, too. He's asked if you could read to him before bed." He gestured, taking long strides to her.

"I can't say no to him." Josephine smiled lightly. "Um, my family called and send their love." She watched him nod with gratitude.

"Um, you can go home after if you—"

Without hesitation, Josephine cuts him off. "What makes you think I'm going home?" She furrowed her brows, "The last thing I'd want to do is sleep along—without you."

Josephine hadn't realized tears were streaming until Buck brought her into his embrace. Eventually, she wrapped her arms around him.

"I'm sorry, I just thought...I want you to stay too." Buck breathed out, shutting his eyes.

"I'm sorry for the lack of responses. Everything has been crazy."

"Don't worry, you have a lot going on."

Josephine settled on her couch with a glass of wine and a bowl of snacks while facetiming Carlos. She adjusted her phone in her hand after placing the drink and snacks on the side table. She simply smiled at her cousin's genuine response.

"How are you, though?" She pondered. Her life appeared to not be the only one taken a turn of events. Carlos' home shared with TK had burned down recently. The unfortunate event occurred when the couple was inside.

Luckily, they made it out without a scratch.

"Actually, I'm doing okay. TK and I have been apartment hunting. There's this one we really love, so, we're waiting to hear back about it." Carlos shared. "Living with Owen and Mateo isn't too bad."

"I hope you two get some good news. You deserve it after everything."

Carlos tugged a half grin, "Thanks, I should ask how you're feeling since you're wearing bulletproof vests at work now." He said in a worried tone.

She exhaled deeply, "Safety precaution now that the police believe the sniper is solely targeting the LAFD. We have SWAT and police escorting us on our calls now."

"It's unbelievable they're going after you guys." Carlos shook his head in disbelief. "Any news about your friend?"

"Still unconscious but stable. Alexis will text me updates."

"And Buck?"

Josephine pressed her lips together, "I feel like he's in this different mindset. From experiencing what he went through, I understand. He was persistent in going back out there even though they gave him the option not to. I'm just worried about him."

"The last thing he'd want to do is sit down and be in his head. We've all been there." Carlos frowned.

"I just want him to talk to me. Know that I'm there for him."

Carlos nodded in agreement, having to understand the predicament his cousin is in. "Give him time and just continue to show up for him."

911 what's your emergency?

I'm calling from a construction site downtown! One of my guys got pinned by a cable! He's way up there in the crane!

"Williams, you're with us." Bobby pointed to the police officer strolling onto the scene with the 118.

Emerging out of the portable office, the leading construction worker was followed by a few other workers. "What's going on? We didn't ask for cops! Our Buddy's hurt!" He exclaimed.

Bobby addressed the group calmly, "Gentlemen, the police are here just as a precaution."

"The sniper." One of the workers whispered to his boss.

"You've got a man pinned by a cable up there?"

"Don't know how the hell the cable came unseated, but it's got that on the end of it. There's at least a couple thousand pounds of pressure on his arm. You can see it on the feed."

"All right, take us there."

Josephine and the rest of the team were led to the video feed showing the injured construction worker.

"Ooh. An arterial bleed, Cap. With travel time, he's got eight minutes." Hen informed from first glance of the feed.

Chimney added, "Maybe ten. It's pretty high up his arm. He could bleed out quick."

"I talked to SWAT. They're still ten minutes out." Williams informed Bobby.

"Airship?"

The officer shrugged, "Maybe less, but not by much. You'd be completely exposed up there, Captain. We can't protect you."

"Look, we can sit here trying to do the math, Cap, but we got to get up there." Chimney urged. They were on a time crunch to save the man.

The construction worker's eyes were locked in at the figure on the ladder. "Uh, I think he beat you to it." His comment caused the team to stare up to find Buck climbing the ladder.

"Of course he did." Josephine sighed.

Bobby pressed the button onto his radio, calling out. "Buck, nobody cleared you to go up there. You are completely exposed, and we don't have any way to protect you, Buckley." He watched the blond continue to climb without answering the line. "Buckley, respond."

"I got this, Cap. I brought a tourniquet. Hen and Chim can walk me through anything else I need to do." Buck responded in a hoarse tone.

With guidance from the paramedics and his steadiness, Buck succeeded in aiding the wounded construction worker by the time the airship arrived. They were carried down from the crane safely without the presence of the sniper, thankfully.

Chimney and Hen went to work the moment the construction worker landed on the stretcher.

"Might be some nerve damage, but I think he'll keep his arm." Chimney assured, intervening the conversation between the frantic construction workers.

"Thank you."

Hen hummed, "Don't thank us. Thank the crazy guy." She referred to Buck who seemed prideful of this save.

Buck jogged down the steps of the staircase of the firehouse to the apparatus floor. There, he discovered Josephine checking off the clipboard as she stood between the vehicles. She sent a nod to another colleague of theirs once receiving confirmation of the item on the list.

Josephine was infuriated with him. He knew. Bobby's glare wasn't the only one he earned at the end of the rescue.

After what felt like a reverse psychology conversation pulled by Bobby. Buck figured he had to endure a confrontation with his girlfriend.

"Josie," Buck called out, interrupting the brunette's conversation. Her gaze moved onto him. "Can we talk?"

She stared at him for a short moment then handed the clipboard to the firefighter before following Buck away from the apparatus floor.

He shut the door behind him as they stepped inside the supply closet.

"You disagree with what I did on that last call."

She scoffed, folding her arms on her chest. "It's like you read my mind." He opened his mouth to respond but she beat him to it. "No, you don't need to explain yourself. Because I know you, you act before thinking or considering the consequences. And sometimes it works out for the best it shows how dedicated you are to the people and the city."

"But that stunt you pulled wasn't okay. You're not invincible, Buck." She emphasized.

"I couldn't let you or anyone else get hurt." Buck argued.

"So, sacrificing yourself at the chance of getting gunned down is the best solution?" Josephine retorted, tilting her head. Buck lowered his gaze to the floor while her face softened. "You know I'm here for you. There's no need to bottle it all up." She rested a hand on his arm.

Buck kissed his teeth, looking up. "Better than anyone else. Sacrificing our lives is part of the job. If you're mad at me then are you mad at your dad?"

"Wow." Josephine's mouth gaped as she removed her hand and stepped back. Buck's face formed into regret once realizing what he said. She shook her head, "I was mad at my dad. I was mad at everyone. At the world. They took away my dad and I couldn't understand why. The last thing I want to see is you gunned down by a sniper after finding Bryan's dead body at a call. I've already seen the dead body of someone I loved on the field. I don't want to relive that again with you." She pushed past him and exited the supply closet.

Ethan Copeland former LAPD SWAT turned sniper attacker was no longer a threat to the LAFD. He was pronounced dead at the site where he purposely ignited a fire at a warehouse. Athena burst inside in a matter of time when Bobby was cornered by Ethan.

Back at home after an intense shift, Josephine descended the staircase hearing the knocks on the door. She went to answer where Buck was expected to be on the other side of the door.

Despite the end of the horrid events that transpired, everything seemed at peace. Although, the couple remained distant during their last shift. Emotions were heightened in new situations that tested their relationship.

Clearly, it wasn't easy from their last conversation.

Buck stood nervously, staring at his girlfriend. He felt regretful for what he said. Especially, bringing up her father nor considering Josephine experienced with Bryan.

Except, that was a portion of the mixture of regret and guilt churning internally.

Josephine thought of breaking the ice by sending a text to come over and work it out. Buck's intentions meant well but he hurt her. She wasn't going to let it be swept under the rug. They're more than colleagues and friends. They must find balance while in a relationship and their lives being at stake on the job.

However, in this situation, their lives were targeted.

She could tell that her boyfriend appeared uneasy merely from his expression.

"I'm sorry." Buck began, standing in the kitchen across from Josephine. His remorseful eyes were locked onto hers. "I-I just thought when your dad saved those people during the predicament he was in.... that you would understand. But I see that it seemed selfish. Because I...wanted to take Eddie's place—save everyone else than myself. Instead, I scared you."

Josephine exhausted a sigh, "This week has been tough for everyone. All I wanted from you was to understand you can lean on me. I'm your girlfriend. You don't need to go through anything alone. Neither of us are invincible when we're out there, Buck."

She began to make her way towards him. "Also, you have to remember you are important to a lot of people." Her hand raised to cup the side of his face.

There was a faint crack in Buck's heart. Because as Josephine assumed they're finding the light at the end of the dark tunnel.

Buck needed to be truthful even if it would be painful for them both.

And when those words came out of his mouth, Josephine froze and pulled away from him.

Josephine somewhat blacked out when she interrogated him. Her will not to scream was more terrifying to Buck to be met with long silences in between. She felt her heart physically ache while Buck spared the details in a quiet tone.

"Taylor—Taylor was over. I felt alone at the time. We had too much to drink and then we kissed."

His words echoed into her ears repeatedly.

Quivering her lips, they parted open. "We're done." she said softly.

Buck stared at her as if his world came to a halt. "W-What?"

"We're done, Buck."

Tears welled in his eyes; he began to rush forward to her. "J-Josie—"

"Get out." Josephine spoke in a firm tone. She clutched onto the countertop with all her strength to what shed a tent. Not in front of him. The last thing she wanted was for him to see her weak.

Her briefly shut eyes had reopened practically shooting daggers at him. "Don't make me say it again."

"I-I'm sorry, Josie." Buck uttered through the shakiness of his breath. He stalked out of the room, not without looking over his shoulder at her once more.

Once the door shut, Josephine's knees buckled to the floor. She let out a sob where the tears streaming down her face felt never ending.

The nurse motioned the direction to Eddie's room after granting Josephine across for visitation. Josephine spared her gratitude then wandered off the hallway. Her hand gripped onto the white envelope during the brief journey through the hospital. The envelope was addressed to Eddie in her handwriting.

Breaching the firefighter's room, a piece of her was relieved to see him sleeping. Josephine had no intentions to stay nor exchange words with Eddie. Everything she needed to say was written in the letter she brought.

Josephine crossed the room where the only sounds emerged from the monitors at the bedside. She took one look at her friend soundly asleep once resting the envelope on the nightstand. Her lips graced into a tight-lipped smile, seeing how he braved through the storm.

"Wow, you're not going to stay to say hi to your best friend." Eddie stirred in his bed, rubbing his eyes.

"I didn't want to disturb your beauty sleep." Josephine teased, pivoting from the door and towards Eddie's bedside. "And I did leave you a note." She gestured to the nightstand.

He suppressed a chuckle, "Well, I'm awake now. So, what's going on?"

Catching Eddie up from Josephine's perspective from the past week was a turn he never anticipated. Buck's visit was brief with him blurting out how it should've been for him. Eddie hadn't realized his near death caused one of his best friends to spiral. Nor having his other best friend hurt in the crossfire.

"I'm sorry." Eddie huffed out once Josephine finished telling him. "He's a dumbass."

"Yeah, I can agree with that." Josephine replied quietly. She looked at Eddie with sad eyes. "Which is why I think I need a break from here."

Eddie straightened up in his bed. One brow lifted in confusion in what she meant.

"Don't tell me you're moving because of him."

"No." Josephine shut him down. "The last few years has been a lot. I feel like a new environment during my furlough will give me that breather."

He understood where she was coming from. Lose Angeles was his fresh of breath air from Texas and his family."

"Where are you going then?"

Josephine blew through her lips, clasping her hands together. "My cousin Carlos might need help moving into his place after the fire. I've been meaning to visit Texas again." She had already made plans with Carlos, calling him after that night.

Eddie couldn't help but form a sad smile. "If that what will help you and bring my favorite girl back then I support you." He started to lean forward but Josephine beat him to it and hugged him.

"Thanks. I'll keep you updated and be back soon." Josephine elicited a teary-eyed smile. "Don't tell him where I'm going for now."

"Sure will." Eddie promised. They pulled away, matching watery eyes. "I might be in recovery, but I can beat his ass for you."

His remark made her laugh. "No need. One brawl was enough."

-That is the end for season four arc...please don't hate me. The next chapter will begin season five finally. I've had ideas in store for this for a really longtime. So, I am excited to write more about our lovely couple and characters. Hope you like it! Tell me what you think! Don't forget to vote and comment! Stay tuned!-

WRITTEN: 4/13/24

PUBLISHED: 4/22/24

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

197K 2.8K 14
"NOT EVERYONE BELIEVES IN HER, AND NOT EVERYONE SUPPORTS HER, BUT HER GOD GOES WITH HER AND THATS WHAT SUSTAINS HER." 9-1-1 season 1 OC x Evan 'Buck'...
241K 6.2K 31
In which, Josephine Santiago continues to save lives and navigate her personal life. [911 SEASON 1-2]
228K 7.1K 53
In which two co-workers find peace and comfort in one another. "These people are the best part of me." Trigger warning for any and all chapters!!
36.6K 2K 66
"𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐌 𝐈𝐒 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐕𝐀𝐋𝐔𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐍 𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐘. 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐂𝐀𝐍 𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐒𝐓 𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐘 𝐁𝐔𝐘 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐂𝐀𝐍'𝐓 𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐒𝐓 𝐂𝐇...