chapter twenty seven

the endless dark tunnel

Carla bid Josephine goodnight upon her departure from Diaz's residence. Josephine continued to clean up the rest of the kitchen after dinner. Today has been a long day between this house and the 118 Firehouse. Considering the tragedy that had struck their house earlier that morning where one of their own was admitted to surgery from being gunned down on the field.

It has left everyone edge.

However, Eddie wasn't the only firefighter targeted by a sniper earlier today. Another firefighter got wounded on another dispatch call. All of this seems like more than a coincidence.

Bobby pulled the 118 from being on call for the rest of the day. They were stationed outside of the hospital waiting for the news about Eddie instead.

Meanwhile, Josephine and Buck had the hardest job bringing the news to Christopher. Josephine accompanied her boyfriend to support him since he witnessed their best friend being gunned down. She could imagine how his mind must've been paralyzed between shock and fear.

Busying herself in the kitchen was the distraction from the constant phone calls of her concerned family members and friends. She couldn't blame them since the headlines were vague about which firefighters were attacked. She could recall her mother gasping in relief the second she answered her call.

Josephine's phone sounded off on the counter. She nearly choked on a sob after reading the text Bobby sent her.

Eddie was out of surgery. And according to the doctor it went well.

Buck had entered the kitchen to find his girlfriend standing in the middle of the room in silence.

"Hey, did you receive Bobby's text?"

Josephine sniffled, perking her head up at his arrival. "Yeah, I did. It's really good news. How's Christopher holding up?"

"Strongest kid I've known." Buck uttered with a faint laugh. "Comforting me when I should be the one comforting him."

"I'm sure your company is enough."

Buck nodded along, "Yours, too. He's asked if you could read to him before bed." He gestured, taking long strides to her.

"I can't say no to him." Josephine smiled lightly. "Um, my family called and send their love." She watched him nod with gratitude.

"Um, you can go home after if you—"

Without hesitation, Josephine cuts him off. "What makes you think I'm going home?" She furrowed her brows, "The last thing I'd want to do is sleep along—without you."

Josephine hadn't realized tears were streaming until Buck brought her into his embrace. Eventually, she wrapped her arms around him.

"I'm sorry, I just thought...I want you to stay too." Buck breathed out, shutting his eyes.