๐€๐ฆ๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐œ๐š๐ง ๐–๐ž๐๐๐ข๐ง...

By gracessecretshelby

- ๐ˆ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐œ๐ก Madeline Lee finds herself forced into the once thing she swore she'd never do: marriage or... More

๐ˆ๐ง๐ญ๐ซ๐จ๐๐ฎ๐œ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง
๐๐ซ๐จ๐ฅ๐จ๐ ๐ฎ๐ž
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ‘
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ’
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ“
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ”
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ•
-๐€๐‚๐“ ๐Ÿ-
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ—
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ

๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ–

2.4K 104 7
By gracessecretshelby

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

Madeline held Katie's hand tightly as they watched Tommy step forward to begin speaking.

"I promised my friend Freddie Thorne, that i'd say a few words over his grave if her were to die before me," he began. "I made this promise, before he became me brother in law." he nodded, "when we were in France, fighting for the king."

"Amen." Arthur said.

Maddie glanced at Ada who had a solemn look on her face — Karl in her arms.

"And in the end, it wasn't war that took Freddie, pestilence took him. But Freddie passed on his soul and his spirit to a new generation," Tommy said, "before he was cruelly taken."

Once he stopped talking, people began placing down flowers and muttering their last goodbye's — Ada and Tommy walking off to the side.

"It's a shame isn't it," Madeline looked up at John. He hummed and looked out into the field. "He'd just become a father and then lost his life. God— Ada must be devastated." Maddie said sympathetically.

"She'll be alright." John said.

He looked over his shoulder at the car that was approaching and he raised an eyebrow. "Who the fuck is rocking up to a funeral that they're not invited to?" John asked, walking away from the pair to see who it was.

"Who is it?" Katie asked. Madeline squinted to try and see who was inside the car but it was no use. "I'm not sure, Katie." She said quietly.

John had his hand resting on the top of the car, nodding along before shaking his head and walking off to Arthur. "Someone's blown up the pub." He said.

Arthur looked at him with a somewhat angry look in his eye. "You fucking what? My pub— someone's blown up my fucking Garrison?" He hissed. John was quick to smack his arm. "No swearing around the kids." John scolded.

Arthur put his arms up in defence and went to find Polly and Tommy.

"Right, come on you two." John said, placing a hand on Madeline's back and leading them to one of the cars.

"What's happened?" Madeline asked. John opened the door for them and helped Katie climb inside. "There's been some trouble back home." Was all he said.

She sighed and got inside the car.

-

Finn hovered over Madeline's shoulder, pointing down at the numbers she needed to add up. "Thank you, Finn." She smiled softly.

"Finn— Finn get in here, hold the phone. Come here." John instructed.

Finn left Madeline's side and went into Johns office quickly. John slowly left the office and walk round to Maddie's desk. "You keeping up?" He asked, his hands on the desk as he leaned down to kiss her cheek. She smiled and nodded. "Finn's given me the easy book." She told him.

"Well that's alright then, ain't it?" John said, squeezing her shoulder before walking to Polly. "Polly!" He called out. "Did he say who did it?"

"He's gone to the Black Lion." Polly said plainly, carrying a pile of books to the table.

"On his own?" John questioned. Polly moved past him and walked away. "Tommy does everything on his own." She reminded him.

"Should I go to the Black Lion." He asked.

"What?" Polly scoffed, walking through to the house. "Should I go there and see him?" John repeated. "No." Polly replied bluntly.

"Where the fuck is Arthur?"

"Protecting the Garrison's whiskey from the police." She said. John closed over the doors and joined his aunt in the house. "Polly, it feels a little bit to me like things are getting out of hand."

Madeline shook her head once the doors were closed. He asked too many questions. "Stupid boy," she muttered under her breath.

"Who's a stupid boy?" A voice spoke from across the table. Madeline quickly looked up and locked eyes with a boy who was not too much older than Finn with a cigarette perched between his lips. "Can I help you?" She asked, placing down her pencil.

The boy smirked and stifled a laugh. Before he could say anything, Finn came back from the office. "Isiah that's John's wife, Madeline, don't you dare answer her question." Finn warned, knowing exactly what type of response his best friend would have.

Isiah put his hands up in defence and nodded. "Yes sir," he said sarcastically. "Nice to meet you, Madeline." Isiah nodded his head forward, discreetly admiring her looks.

Finn was quick to smack him on the arm while passing the table. "I won't tell you again, Siah."

Isiah laughed loudly and shook his head. "My apologies." He sighed with a wide grin still sat on his lips. Madeline raised her eyebrows in amusement. "Nice to meet you too, Isiah."

"Please— sweetheart, the pleasures mine." Isiah sent her a friendly wink and put his cigarette out on the ashtray in front of him.

"Keep your dick in your pants, Isiah. We have places to be." Finn shoved his shoulder and went to retrieve his coat from beside the door. "I'm only joking with her, Finn. I ain't offended you have I? If i've offended you—"

"No, you've not offended me." She cut him off. Isiah relaxed his shoulders and nodded. "Well, have a nice day." He quickly dismissed himself and caught up to Finn who had just closed the door.

Madeline sat working for another ten minutes before John left the living room, a somewhat annoyed look painted across his features. "Everything okay?" Madeline asked.

John hummed and grabbed his cap from the table. "I'm off to pick Katie up from school. Apparently she told Pol she wanted me to get her for once." He said, leaning down to place a kiss on Maddie's forehead.

She looked up at him and nodded. "She'll like that." Maddie agreed. John smiled slightly and leaned down again, this time placing a kiss on her lips and holding her chin between his thumb and finger.

"I'll see you in a bit. You can go home if you like— Polly can get someone else to finish the count." John assured her.

"Okay." She said, watching him leave the den through the same door Isiah and Finn had.

A strange pit of happiness lingered within Madeline after he'd kissed her. Been married for a year and yet she still couldn't get used to it all. Since being away from home and in the comfort of John's company, she found it a lot easier to not miss home as much. Although she managed to get over the home sickness, it still felt like a part of her was missing.

But somehow, John managed to help with that. She felt safe with him.

-

"Madeline, are ya still here?" Arthur's voice bounced off the walls. His footsteps were heavy. "In here, Arthur." She replied. Arthur joined her in the now empty betting den where Maddie sat with a book and a cup of tea.

"You don't happen to know first aid do you?" He asked.

Madeline placed her book down and nodded. "My mother taught me when I was younger. Are you okay?" She asked, slightly concerned.

Arthur cleared his throat and stretched out his fingers. "I got into a bit of trouble at the gym, that's all." He said.

Polly looked over her shoulder and shook her head before looking back at the fireplace. Madeline pushed her chair away from the table and walked to him. She gently took his hand and examined his red knuckles that were beginning to bruise.

"I'll get a cold cloth." She told him. "You'll be fine."

Arthur hummed gratefully and took a seat beside the stairs, looking at his hands.

Whilst Madeline was in the kitchen getting the cloth for Arthur, Finn had returned from wherever it was he'd been and hovered awkwardly at the table. "Sit down, Finn." Arthur instructed. Finn did as he was told and took a seat.

"Here you are." Madeline handed him the cloth and looked over at John who was walking into the awkwardly quiet room. "Where the bloody hell is Tommy?" He whispered to Polly after checking his time piece.

"He's on his way." She replied quickly.

"Right then, whilst we're waiting patiently— whiskey." Arthur lifted a crate. "Left over from the explosion. It's good stuff as well."

John accepted a glass and walked to Maddie who'd placed herself on the stairs. "You okay?" He whispered, tucking a piece of her dark hair behind her ears whilst he towered over her. Maddie pursed her lips into a smile and nodded. "How's Katie?" She asked quietly.

John took a breath. "She's not feeling too well. I've left her with Maria. She'll be alright." He said, his eyes searching her face and admiring her.

Finally, John stepped away from her and took a sip from his whiskey glass. "Right, when Tommy gets here, I think there's a few things we need to get straight between the rest of us?"

"You think?" Polly asked.

"Yeah." John said. "Yeah I do. I want to know— when did we all take a vote on this expansion South?" He asked. Polly emerged from the doorway with her arms crossed. "You have anything to say, you wait for Thomas."

"Polly's fucking right." Arthur agreed.

"I see all the books— right, legal and off track. Some stuff you don't see and in the past year, The Shelby Company Limited has been making a hundred and fifty pounds a day. Right, a fucking day— sometimes more!" John raised his voice.

Madeline bit her tongue whilst she listened.

"So what I wanna know is why are we changing things? Polly, look what's happened already and we haven't even set foot in London yet. They've already blown up our fucking pub."

"Who said anything about cockneys?" Arthur grumbled.

"Who else?" Madeline spoke up. Polly's eyes darted to her. "You know who did it do you?" Polly asked bluntly. John watched his aunt carefully. "No, she doesn't know who did it."

They all fell silent upon Tommy's arrival.

"I'm told only family are allowed to speak." Madeline said, slightly angry, her book back in hand. "Everyone's allowed to speak. On your feet, Madeline. Let's hear what you have to say." Tommy frowned.

John cleared his throat. "I speak for our household. So i'll—"

"John, this company is a modern enterprise and believes in equal rights for women. On your feet Madeline." Tommy interrupted.

She hesitantly stood after sharing a glance with John. "I'm not a blood member of this family. But perhaps because i'm not a member, I can see things in a different light. So i'll get to my point."

"That would be nice." Polly said, lighting a cigarette.

Madeline swallowed hard and clenched her fists at her sides because of the woman's comment. "As my husband said, Shelby Company Limited is now very successful but London— i have kin in Shepard's Bush and Portobello. It's more like wars between army's down there and the coppers fight side by side with them. And there are foreigners of every description— the use of bombs is the least of it. I want children, I want John to be able to see them grow up if the time ever come. I want us to someday live somewhere with fresh air and trees— and keep chickens or something. But London is just smoke and trouble, Thomas."

"Thomas?" Polly raised her eyebrows at Madeline's use of the name.

"That's all I have to say." Madeline said, sitting back down. John clenched his jaw and crossed his arms, turning away. "That was a lot of words. A lot of words." Arthur said. "Wash them down with nice drink." He shoved a glass into Tommy's hand.

"Thank you, Madeline." Tommy said. "Firstly, the bang in the pub has nothing to do with London. Understood? The bang is something i'm dealing with on my own. Secondly, we have nothing to fear from the proposed business expansion so long as we stick together. After the first few weeks of what we intend to do in London, we'll be legal. The other stuff is in good hands, isn't that right, Arthur?"

"That's right."

"Now some of you in this room have expressed their reservations— fair enough. Any of you want no part in the future of this company, walk out the door." Tommy said.

Silence.

"Right now. Go raise your chickens." He said. "For those of you with ambitions, expansion process begins tomorrow."

John looked at Madeline again and she avoided his eyes, afraid that he was annoyed at her for something. "John." She began. Arthur watched her as she sat with worry in her eyes. John didn't look at her, just placed down his glass. "I told Katie i'd be home to say goodnight." He said before disappearing.

"Did I do something wrong?" Madeline turned to Arthur. Arthur shrugged. "I dunno, love." He admitted.

She bit her lip and closed her book over. "Goodnight, Arthur— Finn." She said quickly, going to make her way over to the house.

"John?" Madeline pushed the door open to the dimly lit house. He quickly hushed her because Katie was just about getting to sleep. Madeline paused and stopped by the doorframe of Katie's bedroom.

"Did i do something to annoy you?" She asked. John blinked hard and shook his head. "Just go to bed, Madeline, i'll be there in a moment." He dismissed.

Maddie let out a frustrated breath and practically stormed to their bedroom. She waited patiently by the window until he finally decided to join her. "So go on then— speak up, John. I can read you like a book. You act like a fucking child sometimes." Maddie blurted out.

John was taken back by her sudden outburst. He shoved his hands into his pockets and shrugged. "Ya made me look stupid in front of my brothers."

Madeline scoffed. "How? How did I make you look stupid?"

"I told them that it was me who spoke for our household and you went and opened your mouth anyway." John said. Madeline raised her eyebrows and let her arms fall to her sides. A pathetic laugh left her mouth.

"So that's what it's about? If anybody made you look stupid, it was Thomas. Not me. So get your head out of your fucking arse and listen to what you're saying." Madeline said, not holding back on what she thought. "Do you not think I have a right to voice what I know?"

"That's not what I meant, alright?" He pinched the bridge of his nose.

"What did you mean then?" Madeline urged. John looked up, trying to think. "Or are you angry at me for no reason. Are you angry at me because you're angry with Thomas." Madeline said, knowing for a fact she was correct but John wouldn't admit that.

He just looked at her. She nodded slowly. "Admit that you're acting like a child, John. Go on. Admit it." She teased, a grin tugging at the corners of her mouth.

The moment she started smiling was the moment John could no longer stay angry at her. But he was definitely not going to admit anything that involved him being in the wrong.

"Just get into bed will you?" John huffed, trying to hide his smile. Madeline grinned at his accept with defeat. John sat on the bed with his hands behind his head, resting against the headboard.

Madeline stood at the foot of the bed, placing her knees on the mattress and moving up to him. She placed her knees either side of his hips and cupped his face. "Admit you're being childish, Shelby." She whispered, leaning forward so their noses were touching slightly.

John shook his head and held her wrists gently. "I'm never childish." He said cockily.

Madeline scoffed. "Yes you are. You're being childish right now." She tormented, pulling back slightly. John rolled his eyes and held on to her as he pulled himself to sit up straight. "I might be childish but at least i'm never wrong."

"You're always wrong— wait, so you admit that you're being childish?" Madeline smiled widely.

John groaned and closed his eyes. "I didn't admit anything!" He lied. Madeline leaned her forehead on his. "I've got you there, Shelby. No getting out of that." She said. "You've finally accepted that you're in the wrong. We're making progress." She continued teasing him.

John pursed his lips into a line and let out a breath.

They sat there for a few moments, their faces extremely close. She could feel his breath on her skin. John's hands trailed up the sides of her arms and rested at the sides of her neck, cupping her jaw.

His mouth parted slightly. "I love you, Madeline." John blurted out. She relaxed her body and refrained from frowning. Madeline put her hands on his chest and closed her eyes.

It was a bit of a shock for her to hear him say that. Yes he'd said it before but it wasn't very often he did. They'd been married for a year and it wasn't a regular thing that left his mouth. That's how she knew that when he said it, he meant it.

"I love you too." She said quickly before he felt rejected by her.

John carefully moved her hair onto one shoulder and leaned forward to kiss the shoulder that was now bare. Shivers and goosebumps crawled across her skin. He moved his hands up and down the sides of her arms slowly.

John realised very early on that he loved Madeline. Despite being against the arranged marriage between them, he just knew.

He saw the way she acted with his daughter Katie. How she'd braid her hair of a morning and read her stories before bed. He saw the way her eyes would glisten when he'd walk through the door.

John just knew.

Madeline placed her head on John's chest, her hand resting under her cheek and her free arm around the back of his neck. John wrapped an arm around the back of her shoulders and carefully adjusted himself on the bed so they were fully lying down.

"One day we'll get that house in the fresh air— with trees and we will keep some chickens." John whispered as her breath steadied, implying she was starting to drift asleep.

Madeline just hummed.

"And we'll have a kid together— if that's what you want of course. Maybe a little boy. I've always wanted a son." John continued, staring up at the ceiling. Madeline nodded slightly. "Maybe call him John junior." He joked.

Maddie let out a tired laugh.

"Or James." He suggested, remembering the name of Maddie's father. The name made her open her eyes but a sudden sadness washed over her. "James." She whispered. "Like my dad?" She asked, lifting her head to look at him.

John nodded in agreement.

"James." She repeated. "James Shelby has a ring to it. I like it." Madeline said as she placed her head back on his chest.

"We've got the name." John said. "Now we just need to kid." He added. Maddie closed her eyes again. "One day." She assured him. There was something about the way John spoke about having kids— especially a boy, that told her he was passionate about having another. He loved Katie, obviously, but there was nothing he wanted more than to be able to hold a baby of his own again.

There was a certain comfort that was brought to him when he had Katie. To have a son was just a dream he'd had for years.

But sometimes, dreams come true.

༻♡༺

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

174K 2.7K 85
๐Ÿ“–|Peaky Blinders story ๐Ÿ‘ฅ| Lottie Shelby (oc) , Shelby Family ๐Ÿ’Œ| Isaiah Jesus Disclaimer: I do not own any characters within this story's other tha...
35.5K 581 59
In which Micheal Gray and Cassidy Gold find their secret love affairs too much to handle. Peaky Blinders story. Follows the Peaky Blinders story line...
14.2K 363 12
"Esme what if even after we marry we don't fall in love?" Ivy asked again. Her eyes red and cheeks flushed. "You ask to many questions, I don't even...
473K 17.5K 28
Arranged marriage? In this day and age? Seriously? That's the proposition Elizabeth Westville, a young beautiful heiress, has to face in order to bri...