𝟎𝟎𝟒

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

John abruptly stopped the car outside the small house on Watery Lane.

"Right we're here, come on," Arthur mumbled, stepping out and offering his hand to Madeline. She gave him a small smile and accepted his hand. "Nice car, John." Tommy said.

"Yeah beautiful, really smooth." John agreed, tapping the side of the car.

Polly stood with her hands on her
hips.

"Your sister is in there giving birth and you're talking about the bloody car," She said, placing a hand on Madeline's back as she stepped inside the house. "Not much us men can do now, Pol."

"Except go get drunk," Arthur grinned as he leaned back. "Right come on," Tommy huffed.

"At least one man should be here," Polly's eyes burned into their backs. Tommy turned, "you're right, Pol. Freddie should be here." He said, referring to Ada's husband.

"Is that a heartbeat I hear inside that chest?"

"The truth lasts till sunrise, on my oath, tell Freddie it's safe." Tommy told her. Polly smiled and went inside the house, "Ada!" She called out.

"All right boys, let's wet this babies head."

-

Ada's breath's were quick as her chest heaved up and down. Madeline pushed Ada's hair from her face gently and pushed the nervous feeling away.

"Keep going, that's right," Polly urged, "push," A scream left Ada's mouth and Madeline winced, placing her hands on Ada's lower stomach.  "Think it might be the wrong way round," Maddie spoke.

Polly thought for a moment. "Yeah, I think you're right. Come on Ada, come on." they both gently leaned Ada forward. "Right come on, not long to go now darling. Push, two three,"

Madeline quickly stepped away, covering her mouth as she felt her stomach churn. "I'm sorry," she apologised quickly, leaning against the wall.

Polly was confused but shook her head. "Don't apologise, love. You go down to the Garrison, that's where John will be. It's right up the road— go on, go."

"No, i'll stay. I'm alright." Madeline lied, taking a deep breath before kneeling beside Ada once more.

-

John finished off his drink, slamming the glass onto the table.

"I should go," he slurred, "i should go. It's me wedding night."

"No, no, you sit down," Arthur grabbed his shoulder, stopping him from falling forward. "You don't wanna be among women when there's a baby coming."

"So you think her husband with take the same advice and stay away?" The blonde barmaid asked as she placed a pint of beer down.

"Nah, no Freddie will be there," John said groggily, "nothing will keep 'im away, Tommy said it's okay for him to be there. Isn't that right Tommy?" He shouted.

Tommy appeared behind the barmaid.

"That's right, i'm all heart tonight." he admitted. John and Arthur began laughing once the barmaid had left and Tommy frowned. "Ya know what John boy, I think it's that lovely barmaid, that pretty barmaid that walked out that's made our brother go all soft!"