(DnD) Depths of the Corrupt

By RyanW9

A 2 part Dungeons & Dragons styled campaign. Part 1: -INSTITUTE OF MADNESS- Some seemingly ordinary humans w... More

Institute of Madness (Prologue - Intro - Story)
STORY EVENTS & MAP (PT 1)
Tid Bits
Players & Player Jobs
Campaign Characters & Creatures
Enemy Character Stats
The Plight Of Erithal (Prologue - Intro - Story)

STORY EVENTS & MAP (PT 2)

3 0 0
By RyanW9

[Guide]
§ = Story
π = Notes (side bar)
* = Player actions
% = Enemy actions
∆ = NPC actions
√ = Terrain actions
( ) = Character details
[] = Story details

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Indoor Park]

- Key to this room can be found in any guard sleeping quarters.

- Top Right [Cabin 1]
Entrance & exit

- Center Left [Cabin 2]
Restroom

[Waterfall]
Players must make a dexterity saving throw (DC 13) if attempting to jump through the waterfall.

Behind the waterfall is a cave. There's two locks on the far wall. Unlocking both of them will slide open a false Rock wall acting as the back wall of the cave.

[Lake]
Under a tree in the bottom left part of the park just past the lake is a shiv half buried under the gravel. It is wrapped in a piece of cloth and tied with a bit of string.

Under a tree in the bottom right part of the park is a half buried chest with a note contained within and a small (Strange Crystal Ring) on top of the note.

§
As you follow a trail of whispers, you stumble across a half-buried box under a pine tree.

§
After digging it up and prying it open, you find two items inside: a folded note and an old ring, carefully placed on top of the paper. The note is weathered and the ink has faded, but it still holds a legible message. The ring intricately designed, seems to shine with an ethereal glow.

The note reads:

Greetings,

I am Vivian Wagner, it was my understanding that I'm just a simple patient within these walls, turns out it's a sort of facade. I'm like a puzzle piece forced into the wrong picture.

It all began mundanely enough, as I carried out my daily routines. Yet, a subtle shift in the atmosphere caught my attention-a whisper of something stirring beneath the surface. In that moment, familiar fragments of memories clawed their way to the forefront of my mind, stolen whispers from a forgotten past.

With a sudden clarity, I recalled who I was, or rather, who I used to be in the moments leading up to my arrival in this Institution. However, much of my history remains obscured, like pages torn from a book.

Since then, my efforts to find an exit have been in vain, navigating the various corridors, haunted by unseen entities and restless dreams filled with infinite torment. Now doubt clouds any hope of escape. In a desperate bid for freedom, I've entrusted my remaining magic to this crystal ring, a conduit for my magical powers. It may hold the key to your liberation.

But caution is paramount, for mysterious forces are at play here. Listening in on the guards conversations they referred to these things they called pylons. I'm not sure exactly what they are but It looked like they were bringing a pylon in through the security hallway. I could feel it pulsing with an arcane energy.

From what I've learned, these pylons exert a peculiar influence, inducing unyielding slumber, even distorting our reality. Disabling these pylons may offer a path to liberation, yet their chambers are guarded and locked.

It falls upon the bearer of this message to unravel the secrets of this place, to locate and disable these pylons that bind us all here. Tread carefully, for revealing yourselves and the knowledge you gain here could lead to your demise.

Best wishes,
[Mr. Wagner]

*
When the player dons the ring, they must make a wisdom (DC 12) saving throw.

S:
As you slide the ring onto your finger, a mixture of bright yellow and blue lights bursts forth from it. The light quickly wraps around you, filling your immediate surroundings with a warm glow. It feels as if the air itself vibrates slightly, energized by the sudden appearance of the light. The lights begin wrapping around your arm then around your torso and neck finally wrapping you in a cocoon of brilliant light. Just moments pass by before the light bursts off of you. Taking a moment to yourself when you look at the ring; you see a warm (blue/yellow) glow emanating from the crystal.

F:
As you slide the ring onto your finger, a strange sensation begins to settle over you. Suddenly, a deep purple light emanates from the ring, enveloping you in its glow. The light expands slowly, wrapping around you in thick, swirling tendrils that almost seem to pulse with a life of their own.

These tendrils begin wrapping around your arm then around your torso and neck finally wrapping you in a cocoon of darkness. Just moments pass by before the tendrils burst off of you. Taking a moment to yourself when you look at the ring; you see a dense purple glow emanating from the crystal.

*
The player gains one level in sorcerer upon success or warlock upon failure

π
Once finished reading the note and wearing the ring, read [story day 2 chores]

- A death dog patrols the Park area at night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Cabin 1]

- Entrance / Exit

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Cabin 2]

- Restroom

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Park Waterfall Cave]

- The pair of keys can be found in the backroom sub floor mage chamber.

- Entrance / exit to the secret underground tunnels

- there are two keyholes on either side of the cave

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Underground Secret Tunnels]

- Left: [Smithing station]

- Top: [Torture Chamber]

- Right: [Boss Room]

- Bottom: [Waterfall Cave]

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Left: [Smithing station]

- Key to the room is located in torture chamber tied around the neck of the Hell Hound.

- Quasit are in every room on every floor within this section of the map.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Dr. Shamon's study]

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Dr. Shamon's storage room]

- Within the storage chest are 2 scrolls.

- the player will roll 1d4
1: scroll of greater restoration
2: scroll of stone skin
3: scroll of resilient sphere
4 scroll of misty step

+ Scroll of remove curse

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Dr. Shamon's Alchemy Chamber]

§
As the wooden doors are opened a flood of blue and purple light envelopes the group. Peering inside of the entry area of room there is a fireplace with a small blue and purple flame contained within. Strangely the flames on the candles and torches begin to flicker.

A voice echoes off the walls. "I wasn't expecting guests." There sitting in the far end of the room at his desk was Dr. Shamon. Standing up from his seat he turned to the group glaring at them fiercely with a smile on his face.

Yet the illusion that disguised the doctor before was completely gone now exposing his true self. A wispy dark shadow creature with a wide smile displaying his horribly crooked yellow teeth. Hovering effortlessly just above the floor.

"You naughty naughty naughty naughty NAUGHTY NAUGHTY NAUGHTY LITTLE PESTS. You shouldn't be SNOOPING AROUND! No matter, time to sedate you appropriately and report this to Yyurr Orrg." His smile now turned into a horrid snarl. Without warning a thick purple gas begins to fill the room.

*
Players to fall under the confusion spell upon entering and exiting the gasses affected area.

%
Dr. Shamon prepares to fight.

π
- Notes are on the Doctors desk. They talk about what the pills the players have been taking are made out of and more.

- Within the desk is a key to enter the boss room and a bottle of confusion pills containing 1D12 pills.

· Confusion Pylon:

- The Confusion Pylon is used to enchant the ashes of a cremated warlock soul that takes the form of a gas lingering in the air or used for medication.

- Confusion Pills:
When players consume the 3 pills every morning they will roll 1d4. If rolled 1, 2 or 3 that will be the number of pills that will take effect. If rolled 4 no pills will take effect.
Each effective pill will cause the player to fall under the confusion spell that many times randomly throughout the day.

- Confusion Gas:
Causes players to fall under the confusion spell as soon as they enter the gas.

- d10 Behavior:
(1) The creature uses all its movement to move in a random direction. To determine the direction, roll a d8 and assign a direction to each die face. The creature doesn't take an action this turn.

(2-6) The creature doesn't move or take actions this turn.

(7-8) The creature uses its action to make a melee attack against a randomly determined creature within its reach. If there is no creature within its reach, the creature does nothing this turn.

(9-10) The creature can act and move normally.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Torture Chamber]

There's a large room with two doors leading into two smaller rooms.

Players have the choice to open both doors.

§
(Room 1)
Looking into the room you see a corpse in the far corner.

§
As your hand touches the body, a mystical aura begins to swirl around the lifeless form. Subtle, ghostly whispers filled the air as a faint blue light began to glow from within the corpse's eyes, casting eerie shadows on the surrounding walls. With a slow, creaking sound, the corpse's lips parted, and it began to speak with a voice that, despite its ethereal quality, carried a poignant urgency.

"Hello, I am Vivian Wagner. Though I speak I am but a shadow of my former self. By casting a spell I have managed to preserve the last echoes of my consciousness. Time is a luxury I no longer possess, for I am but moments away from passing into the realm beyond. In life, my days were devoted to the arcane-my identity, that of a sorcerer deeply enthralled by the mysteries of wizardry."

The spectral light in his eyes flickered softly as he continued, weaving his narrative with a melancholic tone. "I once dazzled audiences with feats of magic, crafting wonders while subtly lining my pockets. However, not all my acts were to be admired. Driven by dire need, I resorted to deception. Misjudging my mark, I performed a simple sleight of hand on one I believed to be a mere child. An illusion of duplicating their coin was my ploy, but in truth, I replaced their genuine coin with simple illusionary coins. I believed myself clever, escaping with my petty crime."

The corpse paused, the light in his eyes dimming momentarily. "But my folly was grave, for that child was no naive soul but a demon in disguise. In an instant, as punishment for my transgression, the very earth beneath me gave way, and I was condemned to a chasm of fire and despair. My fall from grace was swift and merciless. I was brought here to this place. With my life gone and my memory is wiped clean. I was led around on a leash. Forced to relive the same daily routine over and over again. One night something happened. I regained myself. The memories flooded back to me of who I used to be. That's when I took the time to make the ring but in doing so I was discovered. After I was discovered using my magics I was brought here and tortured until my last breath. In my final moments, fraught with torment, I managed to conceal a sliver of my mind here."

As the blue light in his eyes began to wane, Wagner's voice softened to a murmur. "It seems that my time here is up now. I wish you all the best of luck, but before I pass on I will give you one final gift."

A new golden light started emerging from Vivian. Suddenly a burst of magical energy shoots out across the room.

Vivian will cast mass cure wounds 2nd level

The lights finally flickering out, the corpse slumped over motionless. The last remaining shreds of this man's consciousness now moving on to the next life.

§
(Room 2)

Looking into the holding cell you see a man chained within. Looking up your eyes lock on to one another. Tears swell up in the Man's eyes.
"Please I beg of you release me! I can't handle any more torture. The things these monsters have done to me, I can't bear it anymore! Please quickly free me, now!"

With the man's cries echoing, out a snarl could be heard from the opposite side of the room. Looking over you can see, now standing up glaring at you with horrifically sharp teeth, a large wolf with its fur the color and texture of burning charcoal. Its paws the size of your head displaying claws capable of tearing down any prey. With a gleam in its eye it turns to you preparing to fulfill its role and guard the room with their life.

%
Hellhound initiates a fight against the players

If the players release the chained man (chain devil) he will help kill the hellhound

Once the hell happened is killed it will dissolve leaving behind a hell of pelt

The chained man will try to steal the key and then he will initiate a fight

The chained man's main goal is to steal the key to escape by himself

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Boss room]

- Key to the cave is located in Dr. Etch's desk.

· Force Cage Pylon:

- Traps player characters inside facility until disabled.

- The room is empty and the portal is deactivated until all but confusion pylon and Force cage pylon is destroyed.

- Once the players enter the final boss room after destroying all the other required Pylons the tunnel behind the players leading back to the facility caves in on itself trapping the players within the room.

§
As everyone steps into the open expanse of the cave, their feet sank slightly into the sandy floor. The vast chamber, mostly by lit torches, exposed scattered rocks and debris across the cavernous landscape, leading up to an ancient stone structure looming ominously in the distance. Attention quickly snaps back to the immediate foreground where a small group gathers.

At its forefront stands Yyurr Orrg. Lifting his gaze to meet that of the intruders, his eyes ignite with a spark of rage, swiftly masked by a disconcerting grin that stretches too wide, betraying his attempt at composure.

"I'm surprised to see anyone has survived this long," Yyurr Orrg begins, his voice resonating with a cold mirth that chills the already frigid air of the cavern. "Seeing how you were able to enter this area I take it that Dr. Shamon is no longer alive. It's a shame those shadow demons are so hard to recruit. Congratulations are in order. No mere mortals have ever penetrated this far into my domain. But it seems," he pauses, his grin faltering ever so slightly as his tone hardens, "that the end of their journey approaches. You will advance no further! Your lives will end at the hands of Yyurr Orrg."

Stepping forward into the open, Yyurr Orrg raised his hand, signaling to his minions. As they moved forward, they prepared for the impending battle, their movements synchronized and deliberate, ready to follow their leader's command. The air grew tense with anticipation, each step echoing ominously through the cavern.

%
A mix of Quasit, imps, manes and abyssal chickens will attack

π
There is a necklace on the final boss that is illuminated with purple and blue magic. This necklace is a key that must be placed into the outreached Palm of a stone statue next to the portal. When the key has been inserted it then self destructs to activate the portal. Once players pass through the portal said portal will deactivate. The players will then be located in the outskirts of hell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[South / South East Hallway]

- [Medical Room]

- If players become injured or sedated they will wake up here. Once patient awakens from being sedated they will recover HP for a short rest yet suffer 1 point of exhaustion. The player will then be escorted back to their assigned chamber.

· Major Image Pylon:

- Key to the room is located on any doctor

- When active the pylon tricks characters into thinking real patients are occupying space with them. Also hides a door with an illusion of a painting.

- there are two buttons, one on either side of the pylon. Both must be pressed to deactivate the pylon.

- Once the major image pylon is deactivated the illusion of the back wall of the patient chamber Hall that had hung the painting of The light house disappears exposing a locked door. Also all other patients disappear.

- [Guard sleeping quarters]

- [Armory]

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Guard Sleeping Quarters]

-----------------------------------------------------------------[Armory]

- Key to the room is located on any Security Guard.

- Contains one silver short sword and one weapon that each player is proficient in.

- Set of keys to the Waterfall Cave door are found here

-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Armory backroom]

· Anti Magic Field Pylon:

- Keeps magic wielders from using magic at all times.

- Once powered down magic wielding characters can use their spells.

- there are two buttons, one on either side of the pylon. Both must be pressed to deactivate the pylon.

- If players are caught using Magic they will be punished.

- If players are caught fighting, stealing, B&E, destroying property or using Magic the players may be punished.

- The first time they will be sedated then detained to their sleeping chamber for one day and they will be physically restrained then have their memory wiped. The player must make a wisdom saving throw (DC 15) once an hour until they succeed.

- The second time the player will be taken to the torture chamber to be tortured for a day, whipped 3 lashes.

- The third time the player will be taken to Dr. Shamon Alchemy chamber and pumped with confusion medication cursing the player for 2 days. When cursed the player will fall under the confusion spell at the beginning of every combat encounter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15K 349 36
Eros is sent to find the princess when he happens across a sanguinary mage on an evil crusade. He resolves to stop her, but this simple task proves d...
37 4 4
After discovering enigmatic staff in a cave and daring to touch it, he was abruptly transported into a pitch-black void while a grining guy approache...
55 17 22
In a dystopian wasteland ravaged by an unforgiving apocalypse, the shattered remnants of humanity cling to survival in a new Dark Age. The Enchanted...
7.7K 329 50
Five people brought back from an early grave. Their future shrouded in fog and their path unknown. In death, they seem to be bound. Neither dead nor...