Getting The Guy

By Fetish-for-melody

Meet Vannessa Walters, a teenager who lives a lavish lifestyle. She has things that most teenagers can only d... More

🍂INTRODUCTION🍂
Chapter 1: The Truth Hurts
Chapter 2: The Change
Chapter 3: The Unbreakable Bond
Chapter 4: The Gala
Chapter 5: The Agreement
Chapter 6: The First Step
Chapter 7: The Attitude
Chapter 8: The Insecurities We Feel
Chapter 9: The Things We Hope For
Chapter 10: The Thoughts Of You
Chapter 11: Who Knew?
Chapter 12: The Start Of Something New
Chapter 13: The Butterflies
Chapter 14: What Do You Mean?
Chapter 15: The Thoughts I Face
Chapter 16: The Nerves
Chapter 17: New Friends?
Chapter 18: The Road Trip
Chapter 19: The Beautiful Mistake
Chapter 20: The Confrontation
Chapter 21: The Master Plan
Chapter 22: The Pain You Give Me
Chapter 23: These Flaws Of Mine
Chapter 24: The Concert
Chapter 25: The Aftermath
Chapter 26: The Final Step
Chapter 27: The Beginning Of The End
Chapter 28: The Fit Of Rage
Chapter 29: The Great Disregard
Chapter 30: The First Downfall
Chapter 31: The Things You Do
Chapter 32: The Indecisive Heart
Chapter 34: The Sleepover

Chapter 33: The Step Up

7 1 0
By Fetish-for-melody

Song: Papaoutai

Artiste: Stromae

Thanks to Abb_Dizzle for making the lovely cover above.

Enjoy!

-

***_***_***_***

I dropped my heavy books on top of the desk in my room. They landed with a loud thud and I sighed heavily. Dontae and I just finished working on an assignment for his chemistry class.

It was worth seventy percent of his grade and the topic we had chosen was 'The Concentration Of Sucrose In Syrups'. We had turned Dontae's room into a mini lab. The wide wooden table in his room that we always used to study had been shielded with a plastic tablecloth.

Narrow vials with wide bottoms, bunsen burners, a probe thermometer, a few of my old notebooks, Dontae's textbooks, pens, pencils and erasers had been strewn all over the table.

And with the help of Google search engine and a little brain power, we managed to do the experiment. Documenting the process in Dontae's lab book like the temperature used, the time the sugar took to liquidize in the water...

Unfortunately, we had to redo the process a second time after Dontae had caused the sugar based solution to crystallize when I went to the bathroom. I had gotten upset with him but he just raised his arms in defense and said 'it's my fault for wanting to use the bathroom when I knew he was a handicap in chemistry'.

But nonetheless, we had spent less than three hours at his house. Surprisingly. And since school had ended two hours earlier than usual because of an emergency staff meeting. And Dontae somehow convinced my dad's driver, Pattrick, to let him drop me home. We went over to his house and instantly started working on the project.

I glanced at the large clock on my wall to see that it was now 4:21 p.m.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

I jerked a little when something jiggled on my buttocks. I gasped and was about to run out of my room like a madwoman while squishing my butt cheeks and looking around wildly in panic. Almost toppling over my vanity chair, I found the culprit to my scare and frowned.

I sighed in relief and studied the brightly lit screen. Mary and Allison's names popped up and I was being asked to join a group call.

My heart sunk.

I had hoped it would be Sean calling me since I haven't heard anything from him after the big fiasco in the school's cafeteria this morning.

Yes. I was still angry with him and I could call to find out how he is. But he was wrong for blowing up on Dontae when Dontae was only trying to protect me.

Also, I was partly surprised that Mary and Allison were calling me. We have never really spoken verbally unless Quincy had been around. We mostly talked over text and so, I hesitated.

Calm down Vannessa. You can do this, just answer the call and don't get nervous.

I took a deep breath. Exhaled and quickly clicked the call button before I could psych myself out.

Immediately the two girls' faces dominated the two halves of the screen in two rectangles. My face was the smallest, sitting in a square at the bottom right of the large screen.

"Hey Vannessa!" Mary greeted.

Her long black hair spilled over her shoulders and her hand was on her jaw. I could also see her feet propped in the air behind her head.

"Annyong!" Allison chirped.

I mumbled a hoarse 'hey' and raised my eyebrows in confusion.

As if Mary could read my thoughts, she intervened with a roll of her beautiful bright blue eyes.

"Don't ask," she grumbled. "Recently Allison's been trying to learn Korean on Doughlinho. She's stupid."

Allison jumped to her defense and grabbed her chest defensively.

"It's Duolingo Mary. Now you're the one that looks stupid."

"At least I'm not stupid," Mary countered. "I only look stupid."

Mary grinned at Allison when she didn't reply like she accomplished an honorable reward and stuck her tongue out.

I suppose not having a retort, Allison folded her arms and flung her body back into the chair she was sitting in dramatically.

"I might be stupid but you have a small tongue!" Allison exclaimed and I burst out laughing.

"Thanks for the compliment!"

Mary grinned and stuck her tongue out again.

"Anyways," Mary flipped off Allison playfully before continuing. "Vannessa! How's it been? We haven't seen each other in ages."

I laughed heartily. And the uneasiness from before slowly dissipated as we engaged in light conversation.

"We saw each other just last week," I pointed out.

"Exactly, last week was so long ago."

I shook my head at her antics.

A boisterous snore sprang from Allison's caller screen and my eyes flitted to her.

Her mop of ginger hair covered her face as she hung her head sideways on the chair that she was sitting on.

"Allison," Mary reprimanded. "Why do you have to be so extra?"

"Guys I'm bored." Allison ignored Mary like she never said anything and Mary huffed irritably before muttering something incomprehensible.

"You're using your phone now," I said. "How are you bored?"

"Pft, so." Allison rolled her eyes. "That doesn't mean I'm not bored out of my mind."

"You're always bored," Mary quipped.

"I know." Allison frowned. "I want a break from my loud siblings."

The first time we met, Allison had mentioned that she has five siblings that live with her. Two sisters, and three brothers who are all under fifteen and very chaotic.

At that moment, the door behind Allison burst open and what looked like a round cushion flew into Allison's room. It smacked Allison right in the back of her head before any of us could utter a warning and Allison sprung up from her chair hotly.

"Ow! You dirty little brat!"

Allison abandoned her phone as she grabbed a little auburn haired boy who peeked his body through the door with a mischievous laugh. She grabbed him by his shirt and shook him violently.

"Dj I told you to stay out of my room!"

A few heated words were spat before the little boy, Dj, ran out the room bawling his eyes out.

Poor Dj.

"I'm glad I don't have any siblings," Mary spoke matter-of-factly.

She surprised me a little but I still replied with, 'same'. Because although it gets lonely here sometimes living in this huge house of mine, I love my privacy and if that's what it's like having siblings then I'm fine with my current situation.

Allison slammed her room door close and twisted the lock into place. She then sauntered back to the chair and plopped down with a calmness that I found very scary.

"Sorry guys. Sibling malfunction."

Mary sighed heavily and pulled her hair into a ponytail.

"My aunt and her bratty children are staying over again so my house isn't an option," Mary said.

That's when a thought hit me.

"You can come over to my house," I said unsuredly. "There's more than enough room for two people."

I don't know where the idea or the courage to ask came from but it was too late to back out now since I already offered.

"Can we come over right now?" Allison asked eagerly.

"Yeah."

Both girls squealed in excitement before agreeing with 'oh thank God' and 'sure, let's do it.'

A pervasive warmth swirled in my tummy and I grinned widely at the two girls who were like two bright stars sent to the earth to brighten my life.

"Allison what did you do to Dj?!" A lady's voice boomed in obvious anger.

Allison rolled her eyes and slammed her hand on the armrest of her chair.

"Here we go," Mary deadpanned.

A few seconds later there was a round of sharp knocks on the door and Allison groaned.

"Allison! Allison! Why is your door shut?!"

Allison leaned forward and grabbed her phone.

"Open up this instant!"

The camera was suddenly wobbly and blurry. Soon her face was no longer visible.

"Jalga guys! I have to go."

Her picture disappeared from the screen and suddenly Mary's face was dominating most of the screen.

She shrugged.

"That was chaotic," I said.

"I know right."

"So I guess I'll see you soon then?"

"Yeah," Mary scratched her head. "Just send us the location. I'll pick up Allison and just drive to your house."

I nodded and the call ended with a bloop sound.

That's when I remembered something.

I was still grounded.

Crap.

-

***_***_***_***

I jumped off the last step of the staircase in search of my dad and Wilma. I only saw them once since coming home.

"You shouldn't tell her yet, Tom."

My brows furrowed and I stopped next to the wall close to the living room entrance.

"What if she freaks out."

My brows creased together even more as I registered Wilma's voice.

"Yeah. Maybe we should wait a little while longer. But you know how smart she is, it might not be long before she finds out."

That was my dad.

I followed the voice into the living room area and was surprised to see my dad sitting in the shiny leather armchair with a brown file in hand and some papers. Wilma sat across from him on the large sofa.

She was the first to spot me and she jumped up from the seat like the sofa was suddenly laced with hot coal.

"Vannessa!" Wilma exclaimed. "I-I thought you were in your room."

My dad was studying the file in his hand intently so I couldn't gauge his reaction.

"What were you guys talking about just now?" I queried, glancing between the two adults. "What am I going to freak out about?"

My dad jumped out of the seat and when his eyes landed on me, all I saw was red hot anger.

"That's none of your business Vannessa. You're smart but it seems like you need to take a class on how not to interfere in adult's conversations."

I jumped slightly at the tone he was using and before I could react or even say anything, he grabbed the file and the papers resting on the coffee table and left the room.

I blinked back hot tears that were threatening to spill out in heavy streams. Suddenly Wilma was standing next to me. She cooed comforting words into my ear.

My lips quivered and I fought back a strangled sob.

"Why is he like this Wilma?"

"What did I ever do to him?" I cried.

The pain in my voice was raw and unfiltered. My breathing was constricting and Wilma wrapped her slim arms around my small body.

"It's ok honey. When the time comes everything will be clear to you."

She pecked my cheek and judging by her response, it told me everything I needed to know.

She wasn't going to answer any of my questions.

So I didn't bother trying.

I lifted my head that had somehow found refuge on her collarbone and wiped the few tears that had strayed from my eyes.

I cleared my throat and forced a smile.

"I'm having some friends over for a sleepover tonight. That's what I came to tell you guys but Mr. Big Bad Wolf was too caught up in his own feelings to listen to anything that I had to say." I grumbled bitterly with a little sniffle.

"Oh wow!" Wilma exclaimed delightedly.

"Vannessa that's good news. I'm glad you're finally putting yourself out there and making some friends."

I hoped the smile that I was forcing would hide the pain running through my chest and the abhorrence I felt towards my dad. But it didn't seem to since Wilma gave me a knowing look.

She stood before me and gripped my shoulders. I refused to look at her.

"Darling, I know that recently you and your dad haven't exactly had the best of relationships..."

I cringed and took a few backward steps away from her. Twisting my fingers together repeatedly.

"But you know that he means well right?"

So him taking out his anger on me and disregarding my feelings is showing me just how much he cares? Wow.

I was about to retort stubbornly but the ringing of the doorbell saved me from having to give Wilma an answer.

Usually I love hearing Wilma's advice but today I just wasn't interested in hearing any of it.

Did she hit her head or something? Why was she on my dad's side? He's in the wrong.

I quickly moved past Wilma. Her hands fell from my shoulders and I headed to the front door.

The squealing was loud, causing my ears to ring. I gasped, grunted slightly and stumbled backwards as two bodies catapulted into me. My hands dangled awkwardly by my sides as the two figures forced me into a bear hug.

"Hey Vannessa!" Mary and Allison synced excitedly.

I couldn't stop the laughter that bubbled out of my throat.

"Hey guys!"

When I pulled away, the two girls had their mouths half open. I was going to ask what the problem was when I realized that they were gawking at the interior design of my house.

"Damn," Mary uttered in amazement. Mouth half open.

"Mary. Pinch me. I think I'm in heaven."

"Oh Hello," Wilma greeted as she exited the living room.

"Judging from how you guys just screamed Vannessa's name, I take it you are her new friends."

"I could live here forever," Allison said dreamily. She looked to be in a daze and I was tempted to wave my hand before her eyes to see if she's still alive.

"Ow!" She yelled suddenly.

She jerked forward and whipped her head in Mary's direction.

"That hurt!"

Mary shrugged.

"You said to pinch you so I did."

A small smile was glued to my face as I watched Allison and Mary's banter.

They straightened up as if remembering where they were and looked at Wilma sheepishly.

"Sorry. Allison has no manners."

Allison elbowed Mary in her side and she gasped before glaring daggers at her.

Wilma laughed.

"That's alright hon. I raised three sons plus I grew up with two brothers and a sister so I know how it is with siblings."

Allison's eyes widened and she exchanged a panicked glance with Mary.

"Oh no. We're not siblings."

Wilma giggled.

"Oh well I guess now it's my time to apologize." She laughed lightly and I pursed my lips.

I always admired how easily she could make conversation.

Wilma sighed and scratched her head

"You guys have the same eyes and you do seem really close so I thought you were related."

"I'm Wilma."

Wilma raised her eyebrows slightly.

"Can I give you a hug to clear the awkwardness?"

Allison and Mary laughed and uttered 'yeah' and 'sure'.

Wilma exchanged a quick hug with the girls and when she was finished, she glanced in my direction. I quickly looked away and pretended to search for a stray thread on my blouse.

Seeing that I wasn't in the mood to talk-I guess-she looked back at Allison and Mary.

"Well ladies, it was nice meeting you but I have to order some new appliances from the home depot store and do a bunch of other things before it gets later. So I'll see you guys later alright?"

Allison and Mary nodded eagerly.

"Bye Wilma," they said in unison.

When Wilma was out of sight, they exploded into an ecstatic mess again. Squealing uncontrollably and grabbing my arms while jumping up and down.

"She is awesome," Allison smiled stupidly. "Who is she?"

I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"She's just told you. She's Wilma."

Allison gave me a knowing look.

"You know that's not what I meant. But anyways, why didn't you tell us your house was so gorgeous Vannessa? My house isn't even this big and my parents own a hotel."

"Yup," Mary said. "This house is awesome. I'm tempted to trade bodies like 'Freaky Friday' if you're up for it."

I shrugged sheepishly, "it didn't come up?"

They exchanged knowing glances as if saying 'oh really' and before it could get awkward, I closed the front and smiled.

"Let me show you to my room."

They nodded and grabbed their bags that had been haphazardly thrown onto the ground.

"Bruce!" I yelled.

I was about to call again when he came running into the foyer a few seconds later.

I introduced him to our guests. Bruce smiled and bowed slightly.

"Nice to meet you."

Allison and Mary waved politely, gushing slightly at Bruce's mannerisms. I pointed to the bags on the ground.

"Bruce can you carry these bags to my room please?"

He nodded and sprang into action.

Allison and Mary grinned at each other as they continued to gawk around them.

"Come on guys."

I shook my head at their antics and ushered them towards the grand stairs.

How am I going to handle these two?

-

-

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hey readers! Here's a quick translation for you.

Translation: 'Annyong' is an informal or casual greeting in Korea which translates to 'Peace'.

Translation: 'Jalga' in the Korean language is a casual way to say 'Goodbye'.

Also, how do you like Allison and Mary so Far? Hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading. If you liked the chapter then please leave a vote and a comment or choose one. Until next time...

Your amateur author,
Fetish_For_Melody 💜

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Ophiuchus By rainshine03

General Fiction

6K 370 19
Matthew and Camille, Camille and Matthew. That's how things have always been. Despite living with an abusive father and an emotionally unstable and a...
246 29 34
"Your hair is full of snow," He chuckled as he looked at her, reaching out to push a strand of hair behind her ear. Some snow successfully fell off...
1.7K 100 33
There is one thing that all of humanity has in relationship to each other - whether your gender, class, background, family, or race - and that is dea...
41 13 13
The Story of Skylar Engelmann and her best friend. Two teens which grew up being rich and famous. With everything, one could ever wish for. Perfect...