Shattered Illusions

By etfreeman

Wren falls asleep and drifts off to the Dreamworld. The moment she turns 18, a man appears in her dreams. The... More

Character Aesthetics
Dreamwalker
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16

Chapter 4

2 1 0
By etfreeman

~Nyx~
Dreamworld

I like this place! Calm, soothing, outdoors. I lean against a tree, close my eyes and listen to the water trickle over the rocks. I can feel the presence of the dreamer without even looking at them. When I do the air in my lungs stops moving when I see the brown haired woman sitting next to the creek. I let out the breath I didn’t know I was holding at the realization I had been hoping to see her again. She turns to look at me and it takes her a second to recognize me, faster than last night.

“Nyx?”

“You remembered.”

She seems just as surprised to see me. I walk closer and sit down next to her.

“I have to say I like this place better than the last two.” I comment.

She seems confused.

“Is this a dream?” She bluntly asks.

“Yes.” I study her reaction.

“What?”

“It’s just that most people don’t notice they are dreaming.”

She looks around us. I try to take it all in like it's the first time to see what she’s experiencing. The atmosphere is almost too perfect. There is a hum I can feel on my skin. It’s different from the real world.

“Do you often dream like this?” I ask her.

She shakes her head. “Only a couple times now, well, ever since you showed up.”

One of my eyebrows shoots up.

“This is the third night in a row I have been in your dreams.” I state.

“Do you usually dream like this?” She asks.

“Yes and no, I don’t dream.” I bluntly state, it’s complicated.

“What do you mean you don’t dream?”

I sigh, why not tell her. She won’t believe me anyways, they never do.

“For as long as I can remember I get pulled into other people’s dreams. I’ve never experienced a dream of my own creation. I’ve never seen the same person more than once either. Until you.”

I can tell she is nervous. Neither one of us says anything, both taking in this new knowledge. I can tell she has a lot of questions but I really don’t want to get into it all. It would just be a waste of our time here.

“Was yesterday really your birthday?” I break the silence.

“Yes.”

“Happy belated birthday.” I smile at her.

“Thank you.”

“Did you get the birthday of your dreams?”

She leans back, more relaxed, and thinks.

“No, I actually didn’t do anything for my birthday.”

“Really?” I ask, surprised.

“I just relaxed at home and had a nice dinner with my parents.”

“Did they get you anything?”

“Not really. We don’t really do gifts.” she shrugs. “I usually just get money or they take me somewhere like a concert.”

“More into the experience than things. I get that.”

“I did get this.”

She raises her arm up to show me something but freezes when she notices it is not there.

“Huh, weird, I never take it off.”

“What?”

“Oh, my charm bracelet. Austin got me a new charm for my birthday but the whole thing is gone.”

I shrug. “We don’t always look the same way in the Dreamworld as we do in reality.”

“Do you look different?” She asks me.

“I’m sure I look just as different as you probably do. The Dreamworld has a certain…glow to it.”

I don’t know. I think I look pretty much the same but the dreamworld is strange. It wouldn’t surprise me if a dreamer saw me differently than I do.

“I’m not sure why this has happened but it was nice to meet you, Little Bird.”

She squints at me.

“Why do you keep calling me that? I hate nicknames.”

I  smirk. “More reason to call you it.”

She smiles and shakes her head at me.

“Will I see you again tomorrow night?” she asks.

“I don’t know. Like I said before I’ve never seen a dreamer more than once and now I have been pulled into your’s three times now. I have no idea what will be next.”

I can feel her fading away. Everything slowly becomes duller and more distant; she is waking up.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3M 271K 96
RANKED #1 CUTE #1 COMEDY-ROMANCE #2 YOUNG ADULT #2 BOLLYWOOD #2 LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT #3 PASSION #7 COMEDY-DRAMA #9 LOVE P.S - Do let me know if you...
28.8M 915K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
43.7M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
1.2M 15.6K 52
NOT EDITED YET Gracie Owen's a headstrong journalist major rooms with her childhood best friend JJ Anderson for junior year, little does she know she...