Altruism | Part Two : Care

De ScarlettSinger

"Let me be your light at the end of the tunnel" - Ana Cabrera Ana Cabrera is a Cuban immigrant. She lives in... Mai multe

Cast - Season Two
Episode One
Episode Two
Episode Four
Episode Five
Episode Six
Episode Seven
Episode Eight
Episode Nine
Episode Ten
Episode Eleven
Episode Twelve
Episode Thirteen
Episode Fourteen
Episode Fifteen
Episode Sixteen
Episode Seventeen
Episode Eighteen
Episode Nineteen
Episode Twenty

Episode Three

2K 67 3
De ScarlettSinger

"Today is problem day. So you know what that means." Grey announces at roll call.

"Actually, sir, I-I don't." Nolan says.

"Problem spots on your patrol route. Locations that attract crime like a felonious magnet." Grey explains.

"Businesses used as a cover for criminal activity." Tim adds.

"No-tell motels, massage parlors, dive bars." Angela lists.

"Or anywhere that ex-cons gather to plan their next adventure." Jackson finishes.

"The spots you see every day and you vow to take them down if you have the time, but we never have the time. So today we make some." Grey explains.

"Is there a problem, Smitty?" Grey asks, seeing Smitty whisper to another officer.

"Oh, no, sir. I love playing whack-a-mole." Smitty responds.

"Knock down a problem spot, it can pop back up anywhere. But that's the job, right? And since you're so excited about doing it, I think you should share your excitement with Officer West out there today." Grey decides.

"Seriously?" Both Jackson and Smitty say at the same time.

"Yeah, seriously. That means, Lopez, you're with Nolan. Okay. Happy hunting out there." Grey says, dismissing roll call.

"so... Jackson moved in with you?" Ana asks, softly.

"he did" Lucy nods as they walk out of roll call.

"how does he feel about Kojo?" Ana asks, softly.

Lucy doesn't respond.

"he doesn't like dogs?" Ana frowns.

"no, he does not" Lucy shakes her head.

"aww, poor Kojo" Ana pouts.

[Timeskip]

"What's our problem spot, sir?" Ana asks, softly, as they grab the gear.

"You'll see when we get there." Tim replies.

"So what'd you do last night?" Lucy asks.

"Gym. Dinner. Study." Tim lists.

"what'd you have for dinner?" Ana asks, softly and innocently.

"Rinse, wash, repeat." Lucy says.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Tim asks, turning to Lucy and not answering Ana's question.

"Nothing. You know, it- it's just been a while since the divorce." Lucy hints at.

"You wanna jog behind the shop all day, Boot?" Tim asks, raising an eyebrow.

"No. No. No, sir. Shutting up." Lucy replies

"and I had spaghetti, cupcake" Tim says, turning to Ana, who nods.

[Timeskip]

They bring in two women who were soliciting.

"We gonna be here a while?" One of the women (Nemesis) asks.

"Yep." Tim replies as they process them.

"Then I need to arrange childcare." Nemesis says.

"Of course, you get one call once we finish processing you" Ana promises, softly.

"Thanks." Nemesis says.

They put the ladies in holding before going to do the paperwork. Well... Ana does the paperwork while Lucy talks to Tim.

"Hey. I know you're gonna say no, but - I think I can help." Lucy mentions.

"With what?" Tim asks.

"Well, you know, I know how hard it is to meet people in L.A. It's what keeps them in business." Lucy starts.

"Wait. You wanna set me up? Forget it. Even if this wasn't your dumbest idea yet, there is no way you'd be able to pick someone right for me." Tim rejects, immediately.

"Um, I bet I can. I'm serious. If we can fix you up on one good date, just one, we get to, uh - we get to wear short sleeves." Lucy decides, gesturing between her and Ana.

"Okay. Okay. But you're paying." Tim agrees.

"Whatever." Lucy shrugs.

"And if you lose, you're gonna do 50 push-ups after every call we take." Tim decides.

"what did you just rope me into?" Ana asks, softly, looking up.

[Timeskip]

"She's a social worker?" Tim asks.

"You say that like it's equivalent to being a serial killer." Lucy frowns.

"No." Tim answers.

"Social workers do valuable work -" Ana starts, softly.

"- coddling criminals." Tim finishes, making Ana frown.

"Look, if you're not even gonna try -" Lucy says, getting frustrated.

"Hold your water, Boot. I'm just getting the lay of the land on my "date."" Tim responds.

"So, where are you taking her?" Lucy asks.

"Ravenna." Tim answers.

"That sounds expensive." Lucy frowns.

"Oh. It is. They've got a $100 filet, just melts in your mouth. And their wine list - ohh! It's exceptional." Tim replies, making Ana frown at having to pay for that when she doesn't even have enough money to buy herself lunch from a food truck.

"Well, good. It seems like a really romantic place." Lucy continues.

"Hmm." Tim hums.

"What?" Lucy asks.

"You're gonna have to do so many push-ups." Tim grins.

"Anyway, this is Rachel." Lucy says, showing him a picture of her.

"Pretty." Tim nods.

Ana doesn't expect the way her stomach drops when he calls Rachel 'pretty'. Instead, she shakes it off and wonders if she can cut back on groceries this week to pay her half of Tim and Rachel's date.

[Timeskip]

Ana is dragged along to spy on Tim and Rachel's date.

"this feels weird" Ana frowns, softly, as Lucy looks through binoculars at the pair.

"relax, this is gonna get us short sleeves" Lucy replies.

"is this really that important?" Ana asks, softly.

"yes, it is, mama needs short sleeves" Lucy answers.

Ana shrinks in her seat, tired and wanting this day to be over with already.

"wait, they stopped talking" Lucy realizes. "we're going to lose this bet"

Ana really doesn't care, she doesn't mind short sleeves and she can do pushups, what she's worried about is the bill to this restaurant. Her stomach grumbles a little. She's endlessly hungry these days now that she barely eats anything, only enough to keep her body functioning.

"we're gonna be in long sleeves forever" Lucy whines when they watch Rachel spill her glass of water on Tim, slap him, and walk away.

"can we go home now?" Ana requests, softly, only to be met with silence.

[Timeskip]

Ana sighs, looking through jobs online. 

All of them that would pay her enough wouldn't allow her to do police work as well. 

She gets woken up in the middle of the night some days for calls but no jobs available would allow her that freedom. 

"¿Por qué buscas trabajo?" Mario asks, sitting down next to his granddaughter. (Why are you looking for jobs?)

"El alquiler volvió a aumentar y necesito algo más de dinero." Ana responds, softly. (The rent increased again and I need some more money.)

"Mija, ¿estamos luchando con el dinero?" Mario questions. (Darling, we're struggling with money?)

"Sí, sí lo somos." Ana nods. (yeah, yeah we are)

"Este es un apartamento grande." Mario notes, looking around. (This is a large apartment.)

"He buscado pero no hay otros apartamentos de cuatro dormitorios más baratos en el mercado." Ana explains, softly. (I've looked but there aren't any other four bedroom apartments cheaper on the market)

"No necesitamos cuatro dormitorios. Vivíamos en una choza en La Habana, ¿sabes? Dormimos en el suelo todos los días, creo que podemos compartir habitaciones entre nosotros." Mario responds. (we don't need four bedrooms. we lived in a hut in Havana, you know. We slept on the floor every day, I think we can share rooms with each other.)

"No. No. Cada uno de ustedes merece una casa enorme con el jardín que la abuela Carmen siempre ha soñado, con la piscina que el abuelo José siempre ha querido. Te mereces las casas de tus sueños. Y no puedo decírtelo, pero ciertamente no lo empeoraré. Lamento no poder brindarte más, pero estoy haciendo lo mejor que puedo y nos quedaremos con este apartamento." Ana rambles, standing up and shutting her laptop. (No. No. You each deserve a huge house with the garden grandma Carmen has always dreamed of, with the pool that grandpa Jose has always wanted. You deserve the homes of your dreams. And I can't give it to you but I'm certainly not making it worse. I'm sorry that I can't provide more for you, but I'm doing the best I can and we're keeping this apartment.)

"mija, I-" Mario starts but Ana has already entered her room and shut the door. 

Ana barely manages to put her computer down before she's sliding down the door, sobbing. The weight of the world is on her shoulders and she has these confusing feelings for Tim and she's overwhelmed and confused and done with all of this.

She doesn't want to do this anymore.

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

31.1K 1.1K 22
"Let me be your light at the end of the tunnel" - Ana Cabrera Ana Cabrera is a Cuban immigrant. She lives in a three bedroom apartment with her grand...
39.7K 890 25
***COMPLETED*** Lucy Brown is a bit nerdy, she has a big heart and a mysterious past. One day she meets Angus MacGyver and he shows her his dangerou...
27.3K 870 15
"Let me be your light at the end of the tunnel" - Ana Cabrera Ana Cabrera is a Cuban immigrant. She lives in a three bedroom apartment with her grand...
2K 35 4
Alessia Octavia Andino was already surrounded by love, family and money the moment she was born. Being the mafia princess with 7 older brothers meant...