Red Skies at Morning | Claris...

Per birdontheinternet

An AU of PJO that takes place during the events of The Lightning Thief and The Sea of Monsters. Summary: Zoe... Més

Part 1: Meeting Clifford's Ugly Cousin
I Get American Citizenship from a Goat
Meeting My Crappy New Cabinmate
Percy Plays The Maury Game
Getting Stabbed in the Back (and Other Fun Camp Activities)
A Lion, a Goat, and a Snake Walk into a Magical Camp
Part 2: I Try Armature Bull-Leaping
Fun Times in the Infirmary
The Birds, by Alfred Hitchcock
Meeting the Mummy
Finally, the Inciting Incident
Avatar: The Last Airbender
Sans Undertale Kicks My Ass
I Have a Horrible Morning, What's New?
Quick Author's Note
Fun Facts 1
Fun Facts 2
Fun Facts 3
(Sorta a Spoiler, You've Been Warned) Fun Facts 4

The Talk (Not That One)

133 4 6
Per birdontheinternet

I know, very short chapter compared to usual but it's been what, three months since the last update? I figured I'd rather give ya'll what I have now than make you wait another three months for a barely longer chapter. Also, there would have been a time skip at the end and honestly, I kinda hate putting those in the middle of chapters. In a perfect, edited version of this book (one day), I'd remove all time skips in the middle of the chapter and instead just have better, more content-filled chapters and any necessary time skip would happen between chapters instead. 
Also, the title is almost guaranteed to change, but I think at this point you'll have to wait for the inevitable complete editing of the entire book before I have the time and energy to make good chapter titles. Bro idk what I was doing when I first started writing this book, I was pumping out chapters and fairly good titles nearly weekly. What was I on freshman year and where do I find it again...

Clarisse showed me to the captain's quarters, where we discovered that there wasn't any ice on the ship. So I had to settle for a couple of Dr Pepper cans from the mini-fridge to nurse my swollen face.

Clarisse pushed a table into the middle of the room and explained that the others would be back for dinner after their tour, meaning there was time for her to interrogate me before they arrived.

The first thing she demanded I tell her was how I'd managed to catch up to her at all. I tried to explain in the most convoluted, vague, and unhelpful way possible, going on about the energy in the air and good vibes, but after a while, I realized she wasn't going to let me wriggle out of an explanation.

I let her in on my hypothesis about my mother, the paper wrapper, and the way I'd experimented with the wind while chasing her ship. Clarisse was very amused by the idea of my mother being a wind goddess

"No wonder you can't throw a punch!" Clarisse snickered.

"And what is that supposed to mean?" I waved one of my Dr Pepper cans at her.

It felt like ages since we'd been this relaxed around each other. I couldn't remember when exactly, but sometime after my nightmares had started including Clarisse, our relationship had subtly started to become strained. It wasn't obvious, but I was noticeably anxious about more than Thalia's tree, and Clarisse must have picked up on that. I'd slowly been driving us apart, and then Clarisse started acting weird and even more unreasonable than usual after meeting with the Oracle and things had only gotten worse. But now we'd put it behind us. We were back to normal; poking fun and blabbering nonsense.

"... and that's when they dragged me up to the top deck." I finished my story.

"Dang! They really messed you up," Clarisse pointed a finger in my face. "Maybe I should give those two a raise."

Both my hands were full with the Dr Pepper cans, so jabbed her in the side with my heel while we both snickered.

"Is there a porthole open? It's a little drafty," Clarisse grinned, rubbing her arms and pretending to shiver.

"Oh yeah, laugh while you can. Just you wait 'till I figure out how to make tornados or whatever. I'll wipe the floor with you!"

"Yeah? I'd like to see you try."

Our laughter died down and a short pause flowed into a comfortable silence. The atmosphere felt comfortable enough that I decided to bring up the topic that I'd been meaning to since I'd first seen her.

"You know," I started, "I sure went through a lot of trouble to get here..." Clarisse's grin was quickly swapped out for a suspicious scowl and she crossed her. My jaw clamped shut with an audible clack and we slipped back into silence.

We frowned at each other. My own questions and anxieties reflected back at me.

Clarisse broke the silence.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you here, Wren?"

I broke her gaze.

The captain's quarters managed to become even more cramped and stuffy.

"Because I'm scared," I replied, moving the Dr Pepper to my scabbed lip and shielding my face.

Clarisse didn't push for a more specific answer, understanding the expected cost.

After that, the silence returned once again, this time it crawled under my fingernails and tied knots in my back.

It felt like hours, but couldn't have been there for more than minutes before we heard approaching footsteps, causing Clarisse to clear her throat and sit up into a more imposing posture. I breathed a sigh of relief and slouched back into my chair.

The door opened and Percy, Tyson, and Annabeth made an appearance.

"You are in so much trouble," Clarisse greeted them smugly.

Once the trio sat down, dead soldiers arrived to serve peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, potato chips, and more Dr Pepper.

"Tantalus expelled you for eternity," Clarisse continued, "Mr. D said if any of you show your face at camp again, he'll turn you into squirrels and run you over with his SUV."

"Did they give you this ship?" Percy asked.

"'Course not," Clarisse scoffed. "My father did."

"Ares?" Percy raised a brow.

Clarisse sneered.

"You think your daddy is the only one with sea power? The spirits on the losing side of every war owe a tribute to Ares." She waved a hand at the soldiers. "That's their curse for being defeated. I prayed to my father for a naval transport and here it is. These guys will do anything I tell them. Won't you, Captain?

"If it means an end to this infernal war, ma'am, peace at last, we'll do anything," The ghost wearing a more intricately decorated uniform responded. His gaze shifted to Percy. "Destroy anyone."

"Destroy anyone Clarisse grinned. "I like that."

I could hear Tyson gulp from across the table.

"Clarisse," Annabeth spoke up, "Luke might be after the Fleece, too. He's-

I moved the can from my lip and straightened in my seat.

"Luke? You've seen him? Is he-"

I remembered Percy next to her and my voice died in my throat.

"Uhhm... you think he's after the fleece?

"Yes," Annabeth continued. "He's got the coordinates and he's heading south. He's got a cruise ship full of monsters-"

"Good!" Clarisse cut in. "I'll blow him out of the water!

Annabeth glared at Clarisse and me, growing visibly agitated that we kept interrupting her.

I tried to give her an apologetic smile, but instead, it turned into a wince.

'Luke has the coordinates?' I thought. 'How? I thought Percy and Annabeth got them from the Grey Sisters. Did Luke take their cab too or something?'

"You don't understand," Annabeth shook her head. "We have to combine forces. Let us help you-"

"No!" Clarisse pounded her fist on the table, causing an empty Dr Pepper can to fall over. "This is my quest, smart girl! Finally I get to be the hero, and you two will not steal my chance."

"Clarisse-" I started.

"Where are your cabinmates?" Percy suddenly asked. "You were allowed to take two friends with you, weren't you? Why's only Wren here?

"They didn't... I let them stay behind. To protect the camp."

"távros skatá..." I muttered.

"You mean even the people in your own cabin wouldn't help you?" Percy accused.

"Shut up, Prissy!" Clarisse snapped. "I don't need them! Or you!"

I stood up. "Yes. You. Do! If you're not gonna let me help you, at least let them!" I waved a can at the trio.

"Clarisse, Tantalus is using you. He doesn't care about the camp. He'd love to see it destroyed. He's setting you up to fail."

"No! I don't care what the Oracle—"

"What?" Percy asked.

"Ha!" I shoved a can in her face. "You mentioned the Oracle before, too! Back at camp!"

"What did the Oracle tell you?" Percy asked.

"Nothing." Clarisse's ears turned pink. "All you need to know is that I'm finishing this quest and none of you are helping."

"Good luck getting rid of me, then." I snarled, falling back into my seat.

Clarisse put a hand on her chin, muttering more to herself than us. "On the other hand, I can't let you three go..."

"So we're prisoners?" Annabeth asked.

"Guests. For now." Clarisse propped her boots up on the table. "Captain, take them below. Assign them hammocks on the berth deck. If they don't mind their manners, show them how we deal with enemy spies."

The word spies struck a sudden chord in me. My chest tightened and I stood to leave with the others.

"Not you," Clarisse kicked the leg of my chair.

'Oh,' I thought, the tension leaving my shoulders. 'She wasn't even talking about me. Idiot.'

The others disappeared through the door, leaving Clarisse and me alone again.

"You got your dinner and all we had was the cans. Time to go." Clarisse waved her arms in a 'shoo' motion.

"Only if you let Percy and Annabeth help you." I placed the cans on the table and crossed my arms.

"No, you're leaving, and they're staying below deck and out my way until we get back to camp."

"Clarisse," I met her eyes, "I came all this way specifically so that you wouldn't be alone on this quest. And I'm perfectly alright with you refusing me if you think I'll just get in your way, but you're refusing two perfectly good, experienced questers'. You know what that tells me?

"I don't care that that-"

"That tells me that there's something else going on here, Clarisse. And I'm not going to let you-" get yourself killed "- throw this quest away for nothing."

"Well you don't have a choice," She growled.

Clarisse grabbed my upper arm and began dragging me down the halls. I struggled to plant my feet on the floor until managing to get a grip on a door frame and wriggle out of her grasp. But before I could make a run for it, she just bear hugged me and continued on her way. I struggled, flopping around in her arms until I realized that there was no way I was getting out of her grip and giving up; going limp with a dramatic huff.

Clarisse carried me up to the top deck and then down the plank one of the soldiers must have set up.

The moment the rubber of my sneakers touched the soil, I took a deep breath. Clarisse's hands loosened around my waist and in the blink of an eye, I'd ducked under her arm and was back on the top deck before either of us knew what had happened.

I couldn't hold back my smirk as Clarisse turned around. For once, I genuinely felt I had the advantage. Clarisse was not going to leave me behind this time. I wasn't going to let her.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

108K 1.4K 20
A few notes before we get started. -I am no longer taking requests. This is a completed work. -I will do thinks like Demigod x Child!Reader (THESE...
806 76 15
Meet Ash, a 13 year old demigoddess, daughter of Hades and sister of, Percy Jackson? Ash's life has been complicated, tough, and lonely, but all that...
25.8K 511 21
Percy Jackson is not a good person. At least, not anymore. Percy has been through a lot. Annabeth is dead and his few remaining friends are scatter...
376 15 6
˚₊ ‧꒰ა ⚜️ ໒꒱ ‧ ₊° "ᵃ ˢⁱⁿᵍˡᵉ ᵗʰʳᵉᵃᵈ ᵒᶠ ᵍᵒˡᵈ ᵗⁱᵉᵈ ᵐᵉ ᵗᵒ ʸᵒᵘ" "Kronos may think he's written my fate, but I've got news for him-I'm holding the pen no...