Altruism | Part One : Trust

By ScarlettSinger

"Let me be your light at the end of the tunnel" - Ana Cabrera Ana Cabrera is a Cuban immigrant. She lives in... More

Cast - Season One
Episode One
Episode Two
Episode Three
Episode Four
Episode Five
Episode Six
Episode Seven
Episode Eight
Episode Nine
Episode Ten
Episode Eleven
Episode Twelve
Episode Thirteen
Episode Fourteen
Episode Fifteen
Episode Sixteen
Episode Eighteen
Episode Nineteen
Episode Twenty

Episode Seventeen

2.1K 64 1
By ScarlettSinger

"Per Captain Weatherby, the following protocol changes will take place immediately. No more putting any boots on top of lockers. Any boots left on top of lockers will be thrown away at midnight and noon daily. Second, every officer must provide a business card to every citizen they contact. If a citizen doesn't want a business card, the officer must write a police report and document the fact the citizen refused a business card." Grey announces at roll call.

"Sir, with all due respect, this sucks." Angela pipes up.

"Ours is not to judge, Officer Lopez. Command believes that the captain's focus on efficiency is what Mid-Wilshire needs right now." Grey answers.

Everyone watches as Captain Weatherby wanders into the room, holding a cup of coffee.

"Captain. Can I help you?" Grey asks.

"I need an updated vehicle list." Weatherby replies.

"Yes, sir. I'm in the middle of roll call. I'll get it to you right after. But since you're here, would you like to say anything inspirational to day shift?" Grey offers.

"Did you tell them about the boots?" Weatherby asks.

"Yes, sir." Grey nods.

"Oh. Okay." Weatherby says, turning around to look at them.

"Well, uh - Keep up the, uh, good work." Weatherby says lamely, making Ana tilt her head in confusion as he wanders out.

"All right. District Attorney's office has a witness on ice. They need our help watching them." Grey announces and everyone watches as Nolan raises his hand immediately.

"I usually don't assign rookies these type of details, Officer Nolan. And Officer Bishop would have to agree." Grey says.

"Forget it. Protection details are like watching paint dry." Bishop responds.

"Looks like you're out of luck." Grey says.

"I'll do it. And Nolan and I haven't had a chance to "bond" yet." Bradford smirks, making senior officers laugh.

"Great." Nolan says, hesitantly.

"Last bit of business. Weatherby wants to go out on patrol with a rookie, to make sure they're being and I quote "trained correctly"" Grey announces.

Lucy, Ana and Jackson exchange a look.

"I'll do it, sir" Ana says, softly, caving. 

"we'll remember your honorable sacrifice" Grey nods, not making Ana feel any better.

"All right. Bishop, you'll be riding with Chen. That's it. Oh, and remember when you take your shops in at night, you now have to drive by the garage to get a mechanical inspection and mileage report. You're welcome." Grey says, dismissing them.

[Timeskip]

"huh" Weatherby, watching Ana get into the drivers seat.

"what, sir?" Ana asks, softly.

"protocol for uniforms is the pants be a centimeter below the hips" Weatherby replies.

Ana is 99% sure he made that up, but she still pushes her pants down that very valuable centimeter before continuing. She internally sighs when Weatherby jots it down.

She's lectured for many things, like not having her hands at ten and two when making a turn, or going over the speed limit by one mile per hour, while Bradford usually goes ten or twenty over. She gets cited for how she put the gear in the back of the shop, where she puts her hands on her utility belt when talking to a civilian.

Ana knows that usually rookies are fired after Plain Clothes Day, but she's sure she's going to be fired after her well named "Weatherby Day". He gets mad at her for not looking around in every direction before pursuing a subject, because apparently looking down at the ground could save everyone's lives or something. 

[Timeskip]

"okay, no one was home during the robbery, do you know at what time you came home and found the house broken into?" Ana asks, softly, interviewing people whose house was robbed.

"Officer Cabrera" Weatherby calls.

"yes, sir?" Ana calls, softly.

"protocol states that you are three feet away from any civilian at all times unless engaged upon" Weatherby responds.

"yes, sir, I'm sorry" Ana says, softly, taking a step back and looking back up at the woman.

[Timeskip]

Ana manages to track down the robber, no thanks to Weatherby who is constantly getting mad at her for her shoelace length or how she holds an arrested civilian. 

"where are the stolen items?" Ana asks.

"d-downstairs, in the basement" The robber stutters out.

Ana nods, grabbing her flashlight and gun.

"now, now, Officer Cabrera, protocol states that any information must be confirmed by another source if not life threatening." Weatherby stops her.

Ana has to stop herself from strangling this idiot. 

"yes, sir" Ana manages to get out.

[Timeskip]

So that's how they go on a wild goose chase, trying to find the robber's brother who apparently owns the house where the robber stored the stolen items. 

The brother, confused as ever, wondering why the police haven't just checked the damn basement.

"why didn't you just go down into the basement?" the brother asks while Weatherby is occupied.

"because our new captain is implementing new rules, I'm sorry for this waste of time, so can you say whether you saw such items in the basement?" Ana asks, softly, sighing. 

"I guess" the brother sighs.

"that's good enough for me, thank you for your time and again I'm sorry" Ana says, softly, walking back to the car. 

[Timeskip]

Finally, they're able to search the damn basement.

Ana has never been this excited to search for stolen property, mainly because she just wants to get this day over with. 

Of course, it's just not her day, because while her and Weatherby are searching the basement, an earthquake happens. Ana grabs onto a pillar in the wall, but a basement is the last place you want to be in an earthquake. Weatherby hides behind her, the coward. The pillars holding up the roof collapse and the first floor comes falling in on them. Ana covers Weatherby as they're hit with debris.

[Timeskip]

"god" Ana groans, waking up blearily. She sees Captain Weatherby underneath her and there are chunks of wood on top of her.

"Seven Adam 10, we're stuck in a collapsed basement, could use backup and RA, over" Ana says over the radio, only to hear static. 

"damn" Ana murmurs, softly. She braces herself before trying to push up the wood chunks that are on top of her.

"over here" Ana hears someone call.

"we're here! Help" Weatherby calls.

Someone takes off the wood chunks but when Ana looks up, she quickly realizes that they are robbers, opportunists who take possessions from people's houses after a natural disaster.

"oh look, two cops" One of the robbers smirks. 

Ana groans, her head is killing her and she knows for a fact that she has some broken ribs, still she manages to swing her leg out and send the two robbers falling to the ground. The wood creaks underneath them as they land.

Ana tries to pull out her gun, only to realize that she must have dropped it during the earthquake. Ana reaches down to take Weatherby's gun but he swats her hand away.

"protocol says-..." Weatherby starts.

"shut up" Ana hisses, turning back to the two men who have known stood up.

 Ana sighs, barely ducking a punch that is thrown her way. 

Fighting off two men after being unconscious for ten minutes and unarmed is not fun, in the slightest. By the time Ana has pinned and arrested them, she's managed to twist her ankle and made her minor concussion a major one. 

"who is your training officer again?" Weatherby asks.

Ana huffs, crawling out of the collapsed basement and looking around. Her radio is still not working. 

She finds the nearest standing house and limps over to it. Ana knocks on the door of the house, relaxing when a friendly elderly woman answers the door.

"hi, ma'am, are your phones working?" Ana asks.

"no, I'm sorry" The elderly woman says, shaking her head.

"of course, thank you" Ana says, softly. 

Weatherby opens his mouth to lecture her again, probably about something stupid, but Ana just turns and starts the long and painful walk to the nearest hospital. 

Weatherby leaves her at the hospital and hitches a ride back to the station, she's told later that he was promoted to headquarters.

So, Ana spends the rest of her evening trying to bake cookies for Sergeant Grey.

However, Carmen comes over and soon Ana watches her abuela make cookies. 

"Voy a aprender algún día." Ana murmurs, softly. (I'm going to learn one day).

"Sigue diciéndote eso, mija." Carmen responds, kissing her forehead and giving her a new ice pack to put on her ankle. (You keep telling yourself that, darling.)

"Gracias abuela por todo." Ana says, softly. (Thank you, abuela, for everything).

"Claro, mija. Ahora, ¿cuándo volverás a invitar a cenar a tu alto jefe? Tengo unos cubiertos nuevos y elegantes que me gustaría poner en el estante superior." Her abuela asks, making Ana giggle. (of course, darling. Now when are you inviting your tall boss over for dinner again? I have some new fancy cutlery I'd like to put on the top shelf.)

"Hablaré con él mañana." Ana smiles, eating one of the cookies that her abuela made. (I'll talk to him tomorrow).

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.5K 1.1K 22
"Let me be your light at the end of the tunnel" - Ana Cabrera Ana Cabrera is a Cuban immigrant. She lives in a three bedroom apartment with her grand...
16.8K 681 37
"Just like a shadow. I'll be beside you. I'll be your comfort. And let it guide you home. I will provide you a place of shelter....If I could be your...
5K 188 5
"Let me be your light at the end of the tunnel" - Ana Cabrera Ana Cabrera is a Cuban immigrant. She lives in a three bedroom apartment with her grand...
20.1K 378 17
you and me can be what we want to be / don't you let this come falling down me / I can hold it in my arms / and I don't expect anything in return | p...