Altruism | Part One : Trust

By ScarlettSinger

"Let me be your light at the end of the tunnel" - Ana Cabrera Ana Cabrera is a Cuban immigrant. She lives in... More

Cast - Season One
Episode One
Episode Two
Episode Three
Episode Four
Episode Five
Episode Six
Episode Eight
Episode Nine
Episode Ten
Episode Eleven
Episode Twelve
Episode Thirteen
Episode Fourteen
Episode Fifteen
Episode Sixteen
Episode Seventeen
Episode Eighteen
Episode Nineteen
Episode Twenty

Episode Seven

2.3K 62 4
By ScarlettSinger

"Cualquier policía bueno que hayas conocido, mija?" Esmerelda asks as Ana is getting ready for work. (Any hot cops you've met, darling?)

"A menos que estés interesado en las babosas, entonces no." Ana replies, softly, doing her mascara. (Unless you're interested in slugs, then no.)

"Ella no fue para ella, amor, fue para ti." Carmen says, walking into Ana's bathroom as well. (She didn't mean for her, love, she meant for you.)

"¿Para mí?" Ana giggles. (For me?)

"Gracias abuelas, realmente necesitaba eso esta mañana." Ana laughs, finding the thought amusing. (thank you, grandmothers, I really needed that this morning.)

"Ella habla en serio, cariño, ¿cuándo vas a encontrar a alguien a quien amar? ¿Realmente planeas vivir con tus abuelos para siempre?" Carmen responds, making Ana frown. (She's being serious, honey, when are you going to find someone to love? Are you really planning on living with your grandparents forever?)

"Pago el apartamento, no es que no tenga una vida y un trabajo." Ana replies. (I pay for the apartment, it's not like I don't have a life and a job.)

"No estamos diciendo eso, mija, solo estamos diciendo que necesitas a alguien que te ame. ¿Crees que no nos hemos dado cuenta de cómo pasas horas leyendo tu libro de estudio? Eso no es saludable, deberías tener a alguien a quien besar, alguien a quien amar." Carmen answers. (We're not saying that, darling, we're just saying that you need someone who will love you. You think we haven't noticed how you spend hours reading your study book? That isn't healthy, you should have someone to kiss, someone to love.)

"Abuela, son las seis de la mañana. ¿No podemos hablar de mi vida amorosa ahora mismo?" Ana says, pulling the 'I'm tired and have to go to work' card because she knows that her abuelas are right. (Grandmother, it's six in the morning. Can we not talk about my love life right now?)

[Timeskip]

She manages to escape her abuelas asking about her romantic life and drive to work. When she enters, she sees Nolan and Lucy having an awkward conversation with Jackson unknowingly spurring it on.

Ana sends Lucy a sympathetic look and she gets a smile in return. Roll call starts soon after.

"All right, grab your seats. A special day here at Mid-Wilshire. In fact, we're gonna start off by playing a game I like to call "What is a patrol officer's least favorite assignment?" Officer Lopez, why don't you get us started." Wade says.

"Easy. Guarding a dead body." Angela replies.

"Solid one. Officer Bradford?" Wade asks next.

"Canvassing in the rain" Bradford replies.

"Bishop" Wade calls next.

"Driving the drunk wagon. It's just nasty." Talia replies.

"Without a doubt. And yet, for me, the absolute worst is the VIP ride along." Wade adds.

The officers groan while the rookies exchange confused looks.

"Why? That sounds like fun" Nolan pipes up.

"Officer Bishop, would you like to inform your Boot why the ride along tops my list?" Wade asks, turning to Talia.

"Because if anything happens to your VIP, it's your ass. So, you take the lowest of low-risk calls. It makes a 12-hour shift feel twice as long." Talia answers.

"Plus, you're trapped in a car all day with an entitled prima donna coated in body spray." Bradford adds.

"Officer Nolan, you want to take a guess why we're playing this game?" Wade asks, turning back to Nolan.

"Because you're giving me the VIP ride along?" Nolan guesses.

"No." Wade answers.

"Really?" Nolan asks, getting hopeful.

"No. You absolutely got the ride along." Wade laughs and others join in.

"He's waiting in the Captain's office for you now." Wade smirks.

"Sir, is it too late to ask for a sick day?" Talia asks.

"Yes, it is" Wade answers.

"um, who is this VIP ride along anyway?" Nolan asks.

[Timeskip]

"Rupert Payne, movie director who worked up in New York with the NYPD and is moving his hit movie series down to LA" Lucy muses as Ana grabs the gear.

"is that spelled the same as Liam Payne?" Ana asks, softly.

"yeah, but I don't think they're related" Lucy responds.

Ana huffs.

"what's with the long face,  boot?" Bradford asks, walking over.

"I wanted to have some solid pop culture knowledge for once" Ana grumbles.

"If it makes you feel better, you'd definitely beat Liam Hemsworth in a fight" Lucy grins.

"who's Liam Hemsworth?" Ana asks, making Lucy groan and Bradford grin and shake his head.

Ana won't find out who Liam Hemsworth is until she googles him that evening.

"Officer Bradford, Sergeant Grey wants to see you in his office." The guy who runs the quartermaster store says.

"Get the shop set up. I'll be right back." Bradford says.

Ana and Lucy shrug and walk to the shop, putting the gear in the back and waiting for Tim to return. It takes too long so they walk back up to the bull pen and see Tim sitting alone in the briefing room.

"Hey, is everything okay?" Ana asks, softly.

"What did Grey want? Are we going out?" Lucy asks.

Tim doesn't respond and instead looks over their shoulders. Ana and Lucy turn around, confused, when they see Isabel being escorted by two detectives.

"oh" Ana breathes, watching as Grey asks the detectives to meet Grey in his office when they're done.

"I'm so sorry" Ana turns back to Tim.

They go back out on patrol and find a guy publicly urinating. Ana doesn't think anything of it, but Lucy does as they process the guy.

"Isn't public urination usually a citation?" Lucy asks.

"You need to brush up on your California Penal Code. Section 314. Indecent exposure is a misdemeanor subject to six months in jail." Tim responds.

"Hmm. Indecent exposure requires an offended party." Lucy answers.

"Plenty of offended families living in the apartment building across that alley." Tim replies.

"Mm. Respectfully, sir, that'll never stick." Lucy says.

"It doesn't matter. Start processing." Tim orders.

Lucy looks ready to protest but Ana mouthes "drop it" to her and she does.

"Hey. Do you want me to give you a shout if I see the detectives?" Lucy asks as her and Ana walk away.

"Yeah" Tim says, making sure his two boots are occupied before turning to Jansenn 

"can you imagine?" Lucy asks as they process the guy.

"no, I couldn't" Ana replies, softly.

"it's just so..." Ana starts.

"selfish" Lucy says.

"heartbreaking" Ana finishes at the same time as Lucy.

"selfish?" Ana asks.

"to do that to him... I mean, he's an asshole, sure, but you could tell that he just wanted to help her" Lucy answers.

"that's what makes it heartbreaking, did you see the look on his face when he saw her for the first time?" Ana asks, softly.

"he's a good guy, rough around the edges, sure, but he's still a good guy" Ana muses, softly. "he doesn't deserve for that to happen. 

[Timeskip]

Ana and Lucy aren't stupid. They figured out pretty quickly that Tim talked to Isabel, and they  figured out pretty quickly what he's going to do.

"What are you two doing here?" Tim hisses, when they pull up behind his car next to Isabel's apartment.

"No, what are you doing here?" Lucy asks.

"sir, you won't change her" Ana says, softly.

"you two are out of your depth on this" Tim responds.

"Look, I've been riding with you for two months. You project the rogue cop thing, but you are always on the right side of the law." Lucy adds.

"if you came here to psychoanalyze me, you're wasting your time" Tim says, turning to get into his car.

"no, please, sir, you can't help her" Ana responds, softly. "she told me that you always loved patrol and you'll get that stripped from you if people find out what you did."

"she's changed, for the worst, but you don't have to change, not for her" Ana pleads.

"Doing this won't change her, but it'll sure as hell change you" Lucy finishes.

Tim doesn't respond, instead getting into his car and driving away.

Ana deflates, turning to Lucy who just shakes her head as they get back into the car and drive home.

The next day, Ana approaches Tim alone.

"Sir, last night -" Ana starts, softly.

"Didn't happen. That clear?" Tim asks, Ana opens her mouth to respond but Grey comes over.

"Hey, I got some bad news." Grey says.

"Can't be worse than yesterday." Tim responds.

"See, I'm afraid it can. Detectives executed a search warrant on your wife's apartment this morning. They found a kilo hidden in the heating unit. She's with her lawyer now. I'm sorry, Tim." Grey says, before walking away.

Ana turns to Tim, a sad smile on her face.

"you did the right thing and I know that it doesn't feel like that right now, but you did" Ana assures him, softly.

Tim shakes his head and walks away.

Ana gets home that night with a heavy heart, when she sees her grandparents scheming, probably to start Ana's love life.

"Esta noche no, abuelos, tal vez alguna otra noche. Voy a darme una ducha y a acostarme.." Ana sighs, softly, toeing off her shoes and walking into her room. Thankfully, her grandparents knew to leave her alone. (Not tonight, grandparents, maybe some other night. I'm going to take a shower and go to bed).

How do you do that to someone you love? Ana asks herself.

How do you hurt them like that? Ana asks herself, tossing and turning in bed.

Ana doesn't get a wink of sleep that night, instead spending the night thinking about Isabel and how she hurt Tim over and over again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.5K 265 37
Lucy and Tim's relationship is put to the test as they have to navigate this new adventure... together. Through thick and thin, the ups and downs, ca...
13.8K 308 13
When 28 year old Elsie Denesco joins the LAPD as a rookie after moving from Florida her life seems to improve dramatically. Until she gets diagnosed...
31.2K 1.1K 22
"Let me be your light at the end of the tunnel" - Ana Cabrera Ana Cabrera is a Cuban immigrant. She lives in a three bedroom apartment with her grand...