The Villainess Should NOT Out...

By lil_megu

Elise is reincarnated as the typical villainess destined for downfall and despair. To ensure her survival she... More

Chapter 1: The Symbol and the Shift
Chapter 2: Welcome to Mystic Academy
Chapter 3: The Outshining
Chapter 4: The Protagonist Hates Me... I think
Chapter 5: Demonstration/Royal Summoning
Chapter 6: Tea Party
Interlude 1: King/Queen
Chapter 8: Finally Some Respect?
Chapter 9: Accusations
Chapter 11: Training Day
Chapter 12: Training Day Part 2
Chapter 13: A New Friend?
Interlude 2: Emily Koster
Chapter 15: Unexpected Apology
Chapter 16: Tournament Prelude
Chapter 17: Tournament
Chapter 18: Ethan's Fight
Chapter 19: Side Quest
Chapter 20: The Culprit/Introspection
Chapter 21: The Ball
Interlude 3: Ethan Verreault
Chapter 23: Training the Main Protagonist
Chapter 24: A Fateful Letter and a Return to Sender
Chapter 25: Lord of the Estate

Chapter 10: The New Headmaster

335 12 0
By lil_megu

The door to the headmaster's office closed behind me with a soft click, sealing away the ambiance of the academy. The room was an oasis of calm, filled with shelves of ancient books and the gentle light filtering through the windows. Julius Agrippa, the newly appointed headmaster, sat at his desk, his presence commanding yet reassuring.

"Ms. Vancourt, please have a seat. Would you care for some pastries?" He motioned towards a lavish cart adorned with an assortment of Danishes beside a quaint side table.

Accepting his offer, I took a seat across from him, the scent of freshly baked pastries filling the space between us, creating an invisible bridge of hospitality.

He picked up a small cup of sugar, meticulously pouring it straight onto his Danish—a subtle detail I couldn't help but notice.

Who put raw sugar directly on their pastry? Was he some sort of psychopath?

"I want to start off by saying that I've been appointed this position by his majesty's direct orders. I am also aware of the demon King's upcoming revival so you needn't hold your tongue around me."

This revelation took me by surprise, suggesting a deep level of confidence from the king in Agrippa's capabilities. But it also raised questions about the sudden change in leadership.

"What about the previous headmaster, what happened to him?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me. The abrupt transition to Agrippa's leadership, after all, was suspicious.

Before Agrippa could respond, his eyes flickered towards the untouched plate in front of me. "Ms. Vancourt, you haven't touched your pastry," he said, a small smile playing at the corners of his mouth, skillfully steering the conversation away from potentially murky waters.

Agrippa's observation prompted me to reach for the Danish, its tempting aroma suggesting a delightful treat. However, as my teeth sank into what I expected to be a soft, sugary pastry, I was met instead with a hard, glazed texture. Confusion washed over me as the unmistakable taste of porcelain filled my mouth, the sensation of sipping from a teacup rather than biting into a pastry.

I paused, pulling the item away from my mouth to inspect it closer, only to find that it had indeed transformed into a delicate tea cup, complete with a thin rim and a handle, perfectly designed for sipping rather than eating.

"This... this isn't funny..." I whispered under my breath, a slight frown forming on my face. Agrippa's earlier action of pouring sugar onto his Danish—or rather, a teacup in disguise—suddenly made sense.

Julius Agrippa, chuckled softly, "C'mon, where's your sense of humor?"

My sense of humor was dead. Perhaps killed off by the internet back in my original world.

"Jokes aside," I began, setting the teacup-turned-Danish back onto the plate. "Let's not dance around the bush here, you're here to observe me right?"

It seemed obvious given the timing and suspicious circumstances.

Agrippa's eyes twinkled with a hint of amusement and surprise at my directness. He leaned back in his chair, the corners of his mouth curling into a thoughtful smile. "My, you're quite the cunning character. Observation is indeed my role, not only of you but of the prince and his allies."

It would make sense that the king was afraid of me, given my unexpected arrival and the power I've shown. It was only logical that he'd want someone to keep an eye on me, to gauge if I were a threat or an asset.

"The young prince has been quite the troublemaker lately," he continued. "From leaking classified information to his recent confrontation with you, it must have been rough for you. For that, I ask that you please forgive him."

"Oh, it's fine, really. It hasn't bothered me that much. If anything it's the most human response one can give," I tried to convey a sense of understanding and leniency.

Agrippa nodded, "Right, thank you. The young prince wasn't always the type to step into conflict so readily. Recent events have undoubtedly put a strain on him, as they have on all of us."

"Recent events... Do you mean me?" I asked.

He paused for a moment, his gaze drifting toward the window as if reflecting on the weight of his next words. "Your arrival has broken egos... naturally the way to keep one's sanity is to blame, or in this case, accuse someone of being the demon king.

I let that sink in. It was a sobering thought to be seen as the catalyst for so much upheaval, even if unintentionally. "I suppose that's understandable," I murmured, "But is there anything I can do to make the other student less afraid of me?"

Agrippa considered my question for a moment, steepling his fingers and gazing thoughtfully at the array of books behind me. "It's impossible to quell a rumor once it has taken root in the collective imagination of the student body. Even as the kingdom denies allegations of the demon king's revival, many believe it to be true."

However..." Agrippa's voice trailed off as he caught the flicker of concern in my eyes, a concern that I hadn't voiced but had clearly registered on my face. It was a fleeting thought, one that I hadn't intended to share, but it seemed nothing was truly private in the presence of someone as perceptive as the headmaster.

"You're wondering if the king suspects you of being the demon king," Agrippa stated, not as a question but as a fact, his keen observation cutting through the silence. His ability to read my unspoken worries was unsettling, yet he didn't appear threatening or accusatory. Instead, there was a softness in his tone, an understanding that was almost comforting.

"No, Ms. Vancourt," he continued, addressing the silent question. "The king does not believe you to be the demon king. His Majesty's concerns are more about the stability of the kingdom and the safety of its people amidst such rumors and fears."

Just as Agrippa finished his reassurance, a soft knock echoed against the door, momentarily pausing our heavy conversation. The door creaked open to reveal Wilhelm, a teacher I was familiar with, his presence marked by a respectful urgency.

"My apologies for the interruption, Headmaster Agrippa, Ms. Vancourt," Wilhelm began, his tone respectful. "I have a question regarding tomorrow's outdoor training session I need to clarify with you."

Agrippa nodded, his expression shifting to one of professional attentiveness. "Of course, Wilhelm. What seems to be the matter?"

Wilhelm quickly relayed his concern, a minor logistical issue that needed the headmaster's input. With a few words of guidance from Agrippa, the issue was resolved, and Wilhelm, expressing his thanks, excused himself, leaving as quietly as he had entered.

"Outdoor training?" I asked, picking up where Wilhelm's interruption had left us, my curiosity piqued by the mention of it.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I have a favor to ask of you. With your unique skills and perspective, I was hoping you could assist in leading part of the outdoor training session," Agrippa explained.

"Me? Lead a part of the training?" I echoed, unsure of his confidence in me.

My thoughts immediately shifted to the prince and his friends. "Will I be working with the prince and his companions during this training session?" I asked with a hint of concern.

Their reactions to my presence had been mixed, to say the least, they would undoubtedly revolt against me in a leadership role.

"Actually no, I plan on putting you in a different group."

Agrippa's response took me by surprise. "A different group?" I inquired, my curiosity now mingled with a sense of relief. The idea of directly leading the prince and his close companions might have been too much, too soon.

"Yes," Agrippa affirmed, his tone suggesting this was a well-considered decision. "There will be a total of two groups split off based on nobility rankings. The lower nobles, and the higher nobles. You will be in the lower nobles group."

"That sounds a bit biased..." I murmured, trying the understand the logic.

"I understand how it might seem, but the truth is there's a motivational gap between the two groups."

What he explained was that the upper nobles often cared less about level grinding, focusing instead on political maneuvers and leveraging their family's influence to secure their positions. In contrast, the lower nobles, who lacked the same level of prestige and connections, had a lot more to gain from improving their combat skills and magical abilities. This disparity created an environment where the upper nobles could coast on their status while the lower nobles struggled to prove their worth.

"And this will all take place in a forest outside the royal capital. Your role will be to handle any emergencies with the lead instructor. How does that sound?"

The forest... I remember in the game that was the first stage. The monsters there should be very low level. Surely it's unlikely that anything too dangerous would occur.

"It sounds fair enough. I'll take on the role."

Agrippa nodded in approval, "Wonderful, I have full confidence in your abilities, Ms. Vancourt."

As the conversation drew to a close, I found myself involuntarily reaching toward the plate of pastries again, my hand hovering midway as hesitation gripped me. The earlier trick with the Danish-turned-teacup flashed through my mind, mingling curiosity with a cautious wariness.

"What's wrong? It won't bite," he remarked, his smile a blend of mischief and warmth.

With a slow release, I let my hand fall away from the pastry, choosing instead to lean back into the chair. "Maybe next time." I softly smiled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164K 6.5K 18
I suddenly became the villainess, but it is already the end scene? - She doesn't even realize where she is or who she is. She undergoes the torture...
325K 9.4K 25
Jody was reborn into a mob character in one of her favorite novels. She doesn't even realize until she witnesses the heroine in action. Ever since th...
510K 28.8K 60
She had a very perfect life as she was a perfect girl. She had everything she could ask for, a brilliant mind, wealth, and many other things, hence d...
1.1M 45.4K 172
Being a normal college student, Eunseo was reincarnated into a book she barely remembers as a no-name canon fodder. To survive in an unknown world s...