The Princess Bride

By kanne53

Keira has accepted Alex's proposal and she's ready to move on with her life. She has never been eager to beco... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Happy Birthday, Your Highness

At First Sight

35 3 0
By kanne53

**These are some prequel chapters of Alex and Keira's history. I thought it would be fun to explore those memories they talk about in The General's Daughter and Princess Bride.

Keira

"Do you think other children will be there?" I asked Papa as we rode in the carriage together toward the castle. I'd only been allowed to visit a few times before, and while it was sort of exciting to think of the busyness from all the people who were there, grown ups could get pretty boring pretty quickly. So far, the only other children I'd actually met while I was at the castle were either much younger than myself or they weren't very friendly.

Well, okay. To be fair, Angelica and Victoria Hampton did try to be friendly. I think. It's just that their idea of friendship involved a lot of bragging. All they ever wanted to talk about was how many new dresses they had or their new dolls their father bought for them or all their jewelry or hair combs or lots and lots of other things I couldn't have cared less about. Mother told me I shouldn't brag, and I really didn't want to get into a contest with them, but after a while, I really wanted to tell them about some of the things I had, just to shut them up. Because, while their family was rich enough, it was no secret that mine had quite a bit more money than most. I think part of the reason they bragged so much was because they were trying to impress me.

Unfortunately, a lot of people acted that way with my family.

I might have been impressed if they actually knew how to do something interesting like climb a tree or ride a horse or how to read or paint. Or anything other than playing dress up or doing needlepoint or one of the many other incredibly boring things girls were supposed to be doing. Still, annoying as Angelica and Victoria could be, having to play with them was still better than being bored to death by all the grown up talk. I think anyway.

Papa pulled his attention from the passing scenery outside the window and focused on me. "I'm not sure," he said. "This isn't an actual event, so it's not as if there's an expectation for families to be present. I do think it's likely that some of the other men would bring their children along the way I'm bringing you. The king wants us to feel free to do that on occasion."

It wasn't a definite answer, but with a glance out the window, I realized I'd find out soon enough. Our carriage had just gone through the main castle gate.

"Actually, I think I remember Lord Hampton saying he intended to bring his girls today. They're about your age, I believe."

I fought a groan. "Angelica's a little older. She's ten, but Victoria is eight, like me."

Papa nodded and glanced out the window, noticing that we were nearly there. "It's good that you'll have some playmates," he said. "The prince should be present as well."

I didn't mean to, but at the mention of Prince Alexander, I couldn't help making a face. Papa glanced at me before I could hide it.

"I hope I don't have to remind you to be polite, Keira," he said sternly.

"No, Papa." I sighed.

"It's especially important with the royal family. Do you understand?"

I hadn't been planning to be rude, but even if I wanted to be, I wouldn't risk getting Papa in trouble. "Yes. I'll be polite."

He watched me dubiously. Maybe he was wondering if I could be well behaved enough for this privilege. To be honest, I didn't have the best track record with being good. I never meant to be bad, but sometimes I couldn't help it.

"I promise," I added as the carriage drew to a stop. Papa accepted my word, but it might have just been because he had no choice since it's not like we could just turn around and leave. I made up my mind to be extra good though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking through the castle always made me feel so very small and insignificant. Our home was large and there were lots of expensive things everywhere, so it wasn't a completely new experience. But the castle was just....so much more. It was a lot bigger and much more luxurious, and we never had nearly as many people in our home as were in the castle on a normal day. I couldn't imagine people actually living here the way the royal family did.

Before too long, I stood along side Papa in one of the castle's spacious reception rooms. As predicted, I was bored after only a few minutes. The grown ups would acknowledge me initially, but then they'd ignore me while they talked to Papa. But remembering my promise to be good, I pretended I wasn't bored. I didn't understand a lot of what they talked about, so it wasn't easy.

I began looking around the room and noticed that Angelica and Victoria were absent. At least for now. The only other children in the room looked to be either much younger or much older than myself. All but - ugh - the prince.

I'd never actually met the prince before, but everyone knew who he was. Part of me thought he could actually be interesting since he was a boy and wouldn't care about dolls or dresses or needlepoint. But I also didn't think he knew much about actual fun. He probably thought ordering people around all day was fun. He must be a snob. Mostly, the richer people were, the more stuck up they were, and he was royalty, after all. I didn't doubt for a second that he was vain and pompous. Talking to him was probably ten times worse than talking to Angelica and Victoria, because at least, in their way, they were trying to be likable. Why would a prince feel the need to impress anyone?

Judging by the way he was surveying the room with that bored and superior expression, he wasn't impressed by anyone here either.

With a frown, I turned my attention away from Prince Alexander and hoped that we wouldn't have to interact at all. I wasn't sure how I'd keep my promise to Papa otherwise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately, my hope had been in vain. I probably should have known it would be, because of course Papa would want to speak with the royal family. That was probably the entire reason he was here.

And so with forced smile, I curtsied and said all the appropriate things when Papa introduced me to Prince Alexander. The prince did all the appropriate things too, but he was barely even trying to be pleasant. He hadn't smiled at all and he barely looked at me or anyone else.

Honestly, if I could be polite, he should be able to as well. He probably had a politeness tutor or something. And it just made me angry that I had to try when he didn't. No one even looked at him funny for his sour expression.

Well, I certainly would. Sneaking a quick look at Papa and the other grown ups to make sure they wouldn't see, I turned back to the prince and, once he met my gaze, I made the nastiest face I could come up with and stuck out my tongue. But only for a second so Papa wouldn't discover that I broke my promise. I quickly glanced back at him to check and to my relief, he hadn't noticed a thing.

When I looked at the prince again, he seemed different. Surprised.

Well good. Maybe now he knew that not everyone thought he was amazing simply because he was born to one family instead of another.

Of course, if he planned to tattle on me... I nervously glanced at Papa again.

The prince recovered from his surprise and then took me off guard with a nasty look of his own. There was something in his eyes though that told me that the motivation behind that look wasn't to be nasty at all. He thought it was funny. It was such a strange and unexpected reaction, I couldn't help giggling.

The prince's face took on a whole new expression - a happy one - and he laughed with me.

It was our laughter that got Papa's attention. He looked down on the two of us, and for a frightening moment, I thought maybe he knew what I did.

He didn't scold though. Instead, he seemed more at ease. "Why don't you two go play in the garden?" He suggested. "It's a beautiful day and I'm afraid our discussion could go on for a while yet."

I looked at the prince, still hesitant, but he seemed to like the suggestion.

"Come on." He took my hand and began pulling me in the direction of the gardens.

When we got outside, he led me down a garden path and through some of the hedges. Slowing, he let go of my hand and sat on the ground.

I looked around for a second, still feeling a little strange about the situation. Did he expect me to sit on the ground? Grandmother would have a fit if I got a grass stain on my white dress.

Especially in that particular spot.

"What should we do?" I wondered.

He eyed me from his spot on the ground. "What do you like to do?"

Was that a real question or a polite one? When I just watched him skeptically, he smiled a little. "What?"

"Do you want to know what I actually like, or all the girly things I'm supposed to like?" I risked asking.

His smile became more prominent. "What do you actually like?"

"Anything except all the girly things I'm supposed to like."

"Good. Me too."

I laughed, and he joined in.

"Do you ever climb trees?" I wondered.

He looked back at me with a challenging glint. "Do you?"

I grinned. "Sometimes."

Looking pleased, he got to his feet and headed for the large tree a few feet away. "Well, come on then," he prompted when I hadn't moved.

I glanced around nervously. We were far enough away from everyone inside, but I was still worried someone would see. And then I'd be in so much trouble.

"We can't," I tried, moving the short distance to the base of the tree. "We'll get in trouble." Or maybe he wouldn't. "I will, anyway."

He laughed. "I would too if anyone saw, but no one will. The guards can't see this spot from where they are and we're too far away from everyone else."

It sounded logical, but what if he was wrong.

"Come on," he said again, beginning to pull himself up the branches. "I promise, no one will see. And if they do, I'll say I ordered you to do it."

With a giggle, I decided to forget my worries and I hurried up after him.

"Hey, you're pretty good at this," he said with surprise when I caught up to him.

"Because I'm a girl?" I said cynically.

"No. Because you're wearing that. I'd kill myself trying to climb around all that fabric."

I was both pleased by his admission and annoyed by his point. "You get used to it," I grumbled. "I wish I could wear what you're wearing."

"You want to wear this?" he said with a disbelieving laugh. "I don't even want to wear this."

He wore a suit that was undoubtedly very expensive and very stiff. "Well, maybe not that exactly," I agreed with a laugh. "But like you said, skirts are a pain."

We stopped climbing and sat when we reached a branch that was high enough off the ground to feel like we actually did something, but still low enough not to be seen over the hedges.

"It's pretty up here," I said, glad that even with the hedges, we still had a decent view.

"It's okay," he said with a shrug. "I wish everything wasn't so...perfect."

It was such a strange thing to hear from someone like him. Everything about him was strange. I'd been so sure he would be snotty and completely unlikable, but he was the exact opposite.

"What?" he asked when he noticed me watching him.

I shook my head. "You're just different than I thought you'd be. Why are you so likable?"

He raised an amused eyebrow. "Why are you?"

I laughed at that. He definitely had a point. I should be just as obnoxious as Angelica and Victoria. More so even.

"I guess we're both pretty weird."

"Yep."

"Why'd you seem so..." I searched for the right word.

"Bored?" he suggested.

"Kind of," I said. "But you looked sort of annoyed too."

"I guess because I was." He shrugged. "I have to do these kinds of things all the time, and the people are always so fake. If they even pay attention to me, I mean."

I frowned. That would be awful. "I'm sorry. I guess that makes sense."

He shrugged again. "Well, today wasn't so bad at least. You're going to come again, right?"

"As long as Papa lets me. He wasn't sure I'd behave myself today." I was thrilled that he wanted me here. I'd never had a real friend before. Everyone was mostly fake, like he said.

The prince grinned. "We won't tell him about before, and I'll make sure he knows you should come with him."

I beamed.

"Can I see your horse?" I asked after a minute.

"Who says I have my own horse?" he teased.

"I'm pretty sure that Prince Alexander has his own horse. Especially since Papa gave me one for my birthday this year. How old are you, anyway?"

With a grin, he let himself drop to the ground. I was not that daring, so I climbed my way back down.

"I'm ten," he said when we both stood on the ground again. "And it's just Alex."

Little as I knew about the correct things to do around the royal family, I didn't think I was allowed to just call him by a nickname. But other than his father, who was going to argue with the prince? Certainly not me. I was overjoyed that I finally seemed to find a real friend.

"Well, Alex, I'm eight, and you know what?"

"What?" He looked entertained until I smacked his arm. Then he looked stunned.

"You're it," I said and then took off running as I laughed hysterically.

It probably wouldn't be long before he caught me since he was taller, but this was the most fun I'd ever had.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Keira's Fire By kanne53

General Fiction

8.6K 498 30
Keira never dreamed that her happy childhood would be ripped away so brutally. But when her family is torn apart and her small village left in devast...
385 4 33
Keira Grace is one girl with a whole world as her secret, a secret she wished she didn't have to keep. In fact she wishes more than anything she neve...
3.5K 231 20
Evie is no stranger to obligation. When you're born a princess, your every day is an obligation. Evie has grown up fulfilling requirements, being con...
330 48 22
Alexandra is a fierce yet lively princess. She is athletic and has been raised as a prince, with the same education and military training. Alexandra...