A Scent of Chaos | ONC 2024

By -DeeIsDead-

| ᴏɴᴄ 2024 ʟᴏɴɢʟɪꜱᴛᴇʀ | ❝ ᴀ ᴍᴇʀᴇ ꜱᴘʀᴀʏ ɪꜱ ᴀʟʟ ɪᴛ ᴛᴀᴋᴇꜱ. ❞ All Elvira Grythras has ever wanted is to climb the... More

Preface
Pronunciation Guide
Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Author's Note
Continue The Series!

Chapter Two

31 13 97
By -DeeIsDead-

The workshop that I shared with two other apprentices was nothing compared to what Corvin Pethra now claimed as his own. While the other apprentices' areas were organised and cleared of any mess, mine was unbridled turmoil. Where bottles were stored neatly on shelves, books stacked away from their work, and not a lick of dust was in sight, my desk was covered in scattered items. The disorder only grew as my plan to make a perfume greater than anyone had ever seen unfolded.

I caught my reflection in an empty perfume bottle and I had to halt my progress at the sight. The long, black hair that I had quickly tied up into a ponytail was bunched and knotted at the base, giving me a warning that it would be a nightmare to brush out later. My dark skin was covered in copious amounts of green glitter in an attempt to recreate what the new Head Perfumer had been working on. I looked unhinged — perhaps even on the same level that Corvin was when I first saw him.

So far, all I had managed was a tiny breath of air that couldn't dream of matching the whirlwind I had been pushed out with. I hadn't even started on the actual scent yet either. It wasn't good enough and I could already feel myself beginning to be drained of energy.

It didn't help that the constant sound of giggling from the other apprentices drove a blade into my concentration and twisted with each snort of laughter. Could there possibly be a worse distraction?

If only I had my own workshop where I could be free from interruption.

"Did you see the new Head Perfumer? When he came in with the royal guards?" Salris fanned herself with her hand, a faint blush spreading over her cheeks. "He's gorgeous."

"I didn't," Nalyn admitted, her voice wobbling on the verge of frustrated tears. "But, I did get a glimpse of him when he came out of his workshop not that long ago to get some supplies. He's so deliciously beautiful that I would just melt in his presence."

"Elvira," Salris called my attention.

The final, thin threads of focus slipped from my mind and a gust of wind sent papers from my desk flying to the other side of the room. "Yes?" One glare in their direction made their smiles vanish with fear.

"I'm sorry to hear that your promotion got taken, but we wanted to know if you've seen Corvin at all," she continued. "We really want to know what he's like."

Nalyn nodded in agreement. "How attractive is he? We've only ever seen him from afar."

"He's... attractive." It wasn't a lie. If anger hadn't been controlling the reins of my thoughts and actions, I might have swooned over him a little too. "But he's also infuriating. The only thing truly attractive about him is his perfumes."

Salris rolled her eyes. "Another position will come around, Elvira. It just might not be for a while."

How long was a while? That could be months or even years. It wasn't fair that he got to snatch everything from me without even lifting a finger.

"You'll get that promotion soon!" Nalyn cheered with an encouraging smile. "We all know it!"

"Thanks," I replied as I collected a notebook, tucking some scent strips inside, and a pen. It was impossible to work with both of them chatting away like there was no tomorrow. Their own perfumes still sat on their desks untouched. They might still have been water.

"Where are you going?" Salris prompted as she eyed me gathering my belongings.

"To do some research for my perfume." It also wasn't a lie.

The two apprentices had mentioned Corvin had left his workshop to get some supplies. What were the chances he was still gathering them now? Perhaps I only needed a nudge in the right direction to refine the magic control I had witnessed. If Corvin had left his notebook unattended, it would be the perfect chance to flip through the pages. Just for curiosity's sake, of course. If I happened to pick up a guiding hint as to how he focused the magic in his work, that would be a wonderful added benefit.

It didn't take long to wind my way through the familiar halls up to the Head Perfumers' workshops and for my feet to stop outside of the room which should have been mine. I had expected the door to be locked — for his secrets to be rightfully kept inside — but a single nudge cracked it open a fraction. Had he returned already? I peered through the gap to check for any movement or sound inside, but Corvin was nowhere to be seen.

The workshop was just how I left it earlier — a chaotic heap of unpacked boxes and half-finished perfumes. Amongst all of the clutter, Corvin's notebook was nowhere to be found. He had to have it on him. Though, maybe I didn't need to look through it. He had to have other notes lying around somewhere — it was simply a matter of finding them.

As I weaved my way through the stacks of boxes, making my way toward the desk, a collection of framed insects caught my eye. One was a bottle-green dragonfly with a ripped wing, several honey bees were trapped in another glass frame, and in the last was a pink, glimmering butterfly whose wings had been pinned down with precision.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Corvin's voice caused my heart to leap into my throat. He perched on the edge of his desk beside me, gazing in awe at the poor insect. The new Head Perfumer towered several inches above me. "I caught that butterfly on a trip to the Ivory Forest searching for new plants for scents. There were lots in many different colours, but most were this breathtaking blush."

He didn't seem to mind that I had barged into his workshop uninvited, unlike last time when I was met with a forceful gust. After he admired the glittering, pink wings for a moment longer, he returned to the seat of his desk and dived straight back into his work. A quick scan of his figure proved useless as I couldn't find the notebook on him anywhere. It didn't even seem to be tucked away in one of his pockets.

"I see you haven't unpacked yet," I began, moving around the rest of the workshop in search of something that would be useful to me.

"I have more important things to be doing," Corvin explained, laying out the supplies he had retrieved in front of him. "Why? Are you planning to move me out when I'm not looking?" His eyes, the shade of fresh, morning ice, met mine, sending a shiver of frost down my spine. "If you're here again, it can only be for one of few reasons. I highly doubt it's because you're craving my wonderful company."

"Perhaps." The stare sent heat rushing to my cheeks, crawling up my neck. Salris and Nalyn had been right after all, he wasn't the worst looking in all of Yuris. "Why are you here and not at the castle? I don't want to come off rude, but surely the Royals have much better equipment and materials for perfumes than we do." Even if we were the largest and best perfume emporium around, nothing could beat the coin provided by the Royal Family.

"It was a personal choice to move." He rose from his seat and opened one of the boxes that formed the labyrinth of belongings, pulling out multiple empty bottles. Corvin seemed so erratic, yet every movement of his felt calculated in a way. "I've worked in the castle for so long that it was beginning to shove me toward the cliff of insanity."

I only nodded in response, waiting to watch him work. Who needed pages upon pages of notes when I could watch the magic happen before my very eyes? Sure, I wouldn't have the ins and outs of his thoughts and the knowledge of how he weaved the power into the ingredients, but as long as he didn't throw me out again, it was better than nothing.

Popping the stopper off of one of the bottles, he poured three different liquids inside and swirled them around to mix them together. Closing his eyes, he guided his fingers towards the glass. His breathing slowed as the perfume began to bubble, sparks of magic bursting as he intertwined it with the scent.

Only a select few had the ability to gather stray strands of magic from the air and forge it into something else. Most who had the gift never realised they possessed it. We couldn't wield magic like some creatures or deity-blessed people could, but it was more than enough for the perfume business.

Once the liquid had settled to a serene calm, Corvin wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand and began to roll up the sleeves of his white shirt. I caught a glimpse of a large scar hidden under the fabric before he realised I was still in the room and pulled them back down.

Switching the cork stopper for an atomiser, he sprayed the newly concocted perfume away from us to test his creation. A deep, blue puff of smoke filled the air, causing us to cough and turn away, but nothing more happened.

With a defeated sigh, the Head Perfumer tossed the bottle into a box and slumped in his chair. "Why are you even here? Have you come to gloat over my failures? Demand my hand in marriage?"

"Excuse me?" Not thinking anything of the remark, Corvin merely pinched the bridge of his nose, awaiting my explanation. "No, not at all. I was only curious about what exactly you're doing here. What are you working on?" If I could make his requested perfume before he could and figure out which client it belonged to, maybe that could get me my title and workshop back.

"I'm preparing a gift for the Miracles Festival." His voice revealed the signs of regret lingering in his thoughts. Why was he going to so much trouble for a gift?

The Festival of Miracles occurred at the dawn of every year. Legends from the Gods said that people's dreams would come true if they believed in them hard enough, if their determination proved stronger than any other force around. A celebration was made out of it centuries ago, meaning parties and feasts were held in its honour throughout the Kingdom of Yuris.

"If you're not planning to be productive or insightful, you can leave," Corvin ordered. His gaze searched his boxes once more and I could only hope that it wasn't for another perfume to kick me out.

I held my hands up in defence, stepping backwards to the exit. "I'll leave you in peace." I was sure I would have a bruise on my back for weeks due to his last forceful measures, all I needed was something more. "Good luck with the Miracles Festival gift."

As I closed the door behind me, a new plan surged through my mind, gripping the reins of my control. It was time to get some new ingredients.

Chapter Word Count: 1,874
Total Word Count: 3,986

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 1.2K 70
The Dragons are gone, the Goblins have been defeated, and for the first time in generations Dim-Eden has known peace. In a land with a forgotten hist...
180K 11.2K 36
Alera lost her mother early in life and was raised by a strict king for a father and the many nursemaids who crossed themselves before touching her...
2.3K 390 38
***WINNER OF MISSMYSTERYGAME'S BOOK OF THE MONTH DECEMBER 2021*** ***2nd PLACE IN THE FANTASY SECTION OF THE PUNK ROCK AWARDS*** In the realm of Glor...
3.1K 74 25
"𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘢 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺..." "𝘞𝘩𝘰'𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘪𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩?" ...