The Cursed Wish | ONC 2024

By eliana_elf

Before the fall of the fairy kingdom, wishes were freely given. Now, wishes are gone, and only curses remain... More

A Note Before We Begin
Prologue: Sixteen Years Ago
Ch 1: The Circle of Promise
Ch 2: The Baker of Nene
Ch 4: The Prince of Sahar
Ch 5: The Boat of Cyra
Ch 6: The News of Balls
Ch 7: The Siblings of Sahar
Ch 8: The Dowager Duchess of Ryne
Ch 9: The Travelers of Nene
Ch 10: The Secrets of Fairy Silk
Ch 11: The Heir of Cyra
Ch 12: The Marquis de Ryne
Ch 13: The Countess of Nene
Ch 14: The Basement of the Manor
Ch 15: The Heir of Sahar
Ch 16: The Trial of Fairies
Ch 17: The Curse of Mona
Ch 18: The Poison of Failure
Ch 19: The Mirror of Memory
Ch 20: The Heart of Magic
Ch 21: The Scepter of The Empress
Ch 22: The Book of Fairies
Ch 23: The King of Cyra
Ch 24: The Savior of Curses
Ch 25: The Queen of Sahar
Ch 26: The Queen of Cyra
Epilogue: The Empress of the Fairies
A Note From The Author
Bonus Art

Ch 3: The Rangers of Cyra

78 12 25
By eliana_elf

Estefania had decided that the Marquis de Ryne and his rangers were insane. They rode like demons and seemed to run off endless energy. She didn't know how they could keep moving so quickly and still be in such jovial spirits.

Estefania had always been told it was a ten-day trek through the desert from the monastery to reach civilization. The rangers said they'd traveled the desert in six and claimed they could break their record, even with two additional passengers.

They only broke for camp when it became almost too dark to see. The princess had sand all through her hair and crusted to every inch of her body. When she'd asked to wash, Nathaniel had laughed at her.

Sure, she'd lived in the desert as long as she could remember, but she always stayed clean. The marquis seemed to delight in watching her struggle. She was ready to wipe that smirk off his face.

Solomon wanted her to focus on her betrothal. Neither of them could believe that Estefania was betrothed to Crown Prince Fletcher de Cyra. She wanted to see her grandmother's letter, but Solomon insisted it was private.

Instead, she had to settle for the second letter, which the marquis had bequeathed to her once they'd been traveling for three days. This one was from her father. She'd already read it so many times that it was burned into her memory.

He claimed that her grandmother was quite ill and had arranged this marriage to strengthen the kingdoms in the absence of the fairies. Her father wanted her to know that while he wasn't sure this was the best course of action, it was a gamble that they needed to take.

Sahar itself was in decline. The people couldn't grow enough food, and if she married Fletcher, she could at least ensure the lush crops of Cyra could feed her people. In addition, her father wanted her to know that he trusted Fletcher to take good care of his daughter.

The most interesting part of the letter, though, talked about Nathaniel. Her father said that the Marquis de Ryne was one of the best trackers and hunters in the land. His rangers were considered one of the greatest forces of soldiers.

Nathaniel had organized the men as companions to track down the fairy whose wish destroyed all her people. The fairy had also stolen his baby sister Caitryn. He believed that that fairy still had her in his grasp.

Estefania could admire Nathaniel's drive. He had a purpose in his life to track down the cruel fairy that wished for the end of her kind. If he succeeded, it was a step towards restoring the magic in all the lands.

He sat high on his saddle and treated his camel with respect. She had to wonder if he really was a bastard son of the king of Cyra. If the rumors were true, then Nathaniel was the half-brother of her betrothed.

Nathaniel looked back at her, smirking as he caught her staring. He hopped down from his camel and urged the animal to keep walking in the line. Then he backtracked and stood beside her camel.

"You all right up there, princess?" He asked.

She stiffened. "Of course, your grace. Why ever would I not be?"

Nathaniel gave her a funny look. "You know we're not at court. You don't have to treat me like I'm some stuffy noble. Save that for Fletcher."

"How well do you know Fletcher?" Estefania asked.

"He's my brother," Nathaniel said. "Fletch is loyal and honest. You won't find a man who cares more about his people. He's never treated me as less than family, but he's a politician, not a rough rider. You won't catch him hunting with my rangers, but even he's spent as much time as I have searching for our sister."

Estefania could see the pain in his eyes. "How long have you been looking for Caitryn?"

"She was three years old when the fairy burst into court and plucked her from my mother's arms," Nathaniel said. "It was the day after the rest of the fairy kingdom had evaporated. I still remember her words. 'We don't deserve wishes anymore. Especially because Cyra was an ungrateful and cruel land.' She said the royal families of Cyra and Sahar would only reap curses now, and then she left."

A shiver crawled down Estefania's spine. The night before the kingdom fell, the same fairy visited Sahar. Estefania had been at dinner with her family. Her mother was days from giving birth, and her father was overjoyed. Estefania sat on her grandmother's lap and giggled at Bastien, throwing food at the other end of the table.

The fairy appeared, draped in a cloak with pure black wings that shimmered like dragon scales. She surveyed their family and pointed a crooked finger at Estefania's forehead, where she had her birthmark. Her kiss from the fairy empress.

"Sahar will rot," the fairy's voice echoed. "Its heirs will bring the country to ruin. These little children will bring only disaster to your kingdom. This is my wish. A curse on your household. Your eldest will love only what is monstrous. The boy will be nothing but a slime for half his days. And that unborn girl will meet a fate worse than death."

The fairy disappeared with that final word, and Estefania's grandmother laughed. Then, the next day, the fairies fell, and Estefania's mother died in childbirth. Only then did the queen take the fairy's final wish seriously.

Estefania knew there was more to the curse. Solomon had refused ever to discuss it. Estefania only knew that she'd love what was monstrous.

When she was younger, she swore never to love. She thought there was a chance that she could change fate. Now that she was older, though, she knew it was foolish.

Perhaps her grandmother was trying to save her from her curse with the betrothal. If she was marrying a man she didn't know, there was a slim chance she'd fall in love with him. It could be her way of trying to help Estefania escape the vile wishes of a horrid fairy.

"Is the Cyran royal family cursed like mine?" Estefania asked.

Nathaniel scratched the back of his neck. "We have our own problems. I'm not sure that anyone is truly cursed. Your sister is a regular ray of sunshine, dancing about our court."

Estefania only had a concept of Avangelique beyond her letters. Her sister was more or less a mystery. She knew she was good friends with Prince Lorenzo, the youngest of the Cyran royals, but that didn't mean she knew her sister.

"What is she like?" Estefania dearly wanted to know any detail at all.

Nathaniel looked surprised. "You don't know your own sister... no, I suppose you wouldn't. She likes to paint, and she's good at it too. She goes out with Lorenzo to inspect trading goods. She has quite an eye for quality. She's good with numbers, too. My queen sometimes allows her to balance accounts."

Estefania had seen a few of her sister's paintings. Her father carried a few with him when he visited. However, she hadn't heard that her sister was good at math. That was unique.

"What about you?" Nathaniel asked. "I mean, no one knows anything about the mysterious Crown Princess Estefania de Sahar. Tell me what a princess does for fun."

Estefania looked at Nathaniel and frowned. "Fun? I grew up at a monastery. They don't have fun."

"You have to have some hobby," Nathaniel said. "Or are you telling me you spent sixteen years meditating and singing in their chapel?"

"I do like to sing," Estefania said. "But that's not terribly useful."

"Oh, I think it might earn you some points," Nathaniel had a twinkle in his eye. "I mean, it's a beautiful art."

"Perhaps," Estefania said. "Or maybe it's a rather useless skill for a sheltered princess. You've seen the world. Your rangers are renowned, and I've been trapped in the desert. It's no wonder my grandmother set up this betrothal. She doesn't think I can rule Sahar."

Nathaniel set a hand on top of hers. "There's no way that's true. You have a good heart, and Fletcher won't improve your ability to rule any more than anyone else. My brother is lucky. He wasn't sure what he was getting, but I think he'll be happy with you as his wife."

Estefania felt her face heat. Even though she'd grown up in a monastery of men, she wasn't used to this level of praise. Something about Nathaniel was different.

"Captain," one of the rangers at the front of the pack called. "We've nearly reached the port."

"Yes," Nathaniel let Estefania's hand go. "Forgive me, princess. I should make sure the rangers are ready."

She watched him go, and he started directing his men. Estefania saw the small settlement in the distance and watched as a group of men rushed from the settlement to join them.

Solomon helped her off her camel and down as one of the men from the settlement took her camel. She caught up with Nathaniel as he ordered the rangers to take the saddlebags to a waiting ship.

Estefania couldn't help but stare at the ocean. She supposed traveling north to Cyra would take too long if they had to traverse through her entire country and then through most of Cyra. She'd hoped to see her country, but it would have to wait if this marriage was so vital.

Nathaniel was here to change her world. She didn't know if she should thank him once they arrived in Cyra or kiss him right now.

"Princess," Nathaniel stepped close to her. "There's nothing to fear. I'll get you to my brother. Then you'll get your wish, and you can go home."

But as Estefania stared at the sea, she wondered what lay beyond. Her world had always been so small, and now that she was free for the first time, she felt the fear of the unknown.

"Home," the word felt foreign on her lips. "But Cyra first."

"As you command, princess," he raised her hand, and she shivered again as his lips brushed her knuckles.

Estefania stiffened and wondered not for the first time if she'd truly gotten more than she'd bargained for. If there were any iota of wish magic left in their world, she'd bet anything that Nathaniel and his rangers could find it for her.

She smiled softly and walked towards the ship. After all, she had a ball to attend.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.8K 6K 38
"Usually innocents like you have time to grow into their magic before they have to break the rules. You don't have that time, Minta. Please believe m...
220 45 19
What if dreams really could come true? What if fairy tales could come true? And you will become their main character? Once a girl named Aislinn had a...
8.8K 1K 29
||WATTY 2021 SHORTLIST|| Ex-Princess-Bride wants to marry her beloved Dragon, but when a curse threatens their happily ever after, they are left raci...
852 76 17
"I wouldn't bother trying. The only way out of here, is through me. You are trapped here Isabella." There was nothing else I could say or do to stop...