This Official is so Weak

By kipziart

In the fifteenth year of the Chenghua Dynasty, the usurper Ning Chen finally died. The youngest left minister... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31

Chapter 3

189 10 0
By kipziart

Li Wuting stared at the small walnut in silence for a long time, then suddenly spoke, "Pick it up."

A figure silently emerged from the shadow in the corner of the study. Li Wuting glanced in the direction outside the study, and the figure disappeared back into the darkness.

Half an hour later, Ning Rushen was back in the carriage.

Yan Min pulled back the carriage curtain for him. "Sir, you don't look too well?"

Ning Rushen sank into the cushions, gazing deeply out of the window. "Losing is my luck, gaining is my fate."

"...Yan Min: He's starting to talk nonsense now."

"Let me call a doctor for you, sir."

"No need." Ning Rushen collected his thoughts again. "Gather everyone from the mansion when we return. I have something to say."

Yan Min glanced inside the carriage again before dropping the curtain. But the fruit plate was already empty. "Sir, did you finish all the walnuts?"

The mansion was modest in size, with a simple elegance that befitted a fifth-ranked official.

Back at the Ning residence, Yan Min summoned all the servants.

Ning Rushen pulled up a chair and sat in the courtyard, guarding a plate of fruit and tea. He scanned the dozen or so servants in the courtyard, pondering:

Resigning from office was unavoidable now, and his memories were becoming increasingly hazy.

We can only take it one step at a time, first figure out everything that relates to us.

"Sir, everyone has arrived," Yan Min said.

A courtyard full of people waited nervously, heads bowed, anticipating their fate.

"Everyone's here, then."

Ning Rushen set down his teacup, straightened up, and cleared his throat, saying, "Come on, praise me."

"..."

The crowd looked up in confusion: ?

Ning Rushen, unabashed, repeated himself, "Praise me, your lord."

After exchanging bewildered glances, it was the maid, Xinglan, who quickly caught on, eagerly flattering him:

"Sir, with your elegance surpassing the dawn and your intellect rivaling the moon, you truly deserve your reputation as the top scholar who once dazzled the capital!"

The rest finally caught on.

In no time, words of admiration bloomed like a lush garden throughout the courtyard—

Ning Rushen listened for a while, slowly piecing it together:

"Ning Chen" had not yet come of age and was the youngest fifth-rank official in the current dynasty. Orphaned at a young age, he rose from commoner to top imperial exam scholar, catching the late emperor's eye, entering the Hanlin Academy, and smoothly climbing the ranks.

In the struggle for the throne, he successfully took a stand and supported the current new emperor, Li Wuting.

To outsiders, it should have seemed like an endless glory.

But where did "he" go wrong with Li Wuting?

...

The voices in the courtyard gradually died down.

Servants racked their brains, even turning a simple meal into an elaborate affair.

Ning Rushen raised his hand to signal, "That's enough."

Everyone let out a collective sigh of relief.

Then Ning Rushen added, "Now, start cursing at me."

...Immediately, the courtyard was filled with people dropping to their knees in disbelief!

Outside the unnoticed courtyard walls, the figure crouched there trembled slightly.

"I-I dare not!" they whispered.

Ning Rushen rubbed his temples. "Get up, all of you."

He glanced at the shivering group and after a moment's thought, he spoke again, "Cuss once, and earn a silver or two."

Several faces hesitantly lifted.

With practiced hands, Ning Rushen began peeling a small walnut. "The first one to speak up gets ten silvers."

But before anyone could utter a word, the steward's voice boomed like a thunderclap, "Are you a starving ghost reincarnated, my lord?"

(T/N I think this means restless spirit)

Ning Rushen froze, speechless.

Ning Rushen spent the entire afternoon doling out silver in exchange for insults.

From eager inquiries at the outset to numb indifference by the end.

——It was all just a jumble of trivial matters, thinly veiled criticisms mixed with false praises, the tone becoming increasingly skewed. Towards the end, even a blushing maid dared to scold:

"Your robe is so open, it's downright, downright indecent."

Ning Rushen's head spun with ringing ears.

What kind of chaotic mess was this?

After talking for so long, he hadn't gleaned anything useful. He couldn't identify any enemies, nor did he know where he had offended the new emperor.

"That's enough."

He wearily waved his hand, instructing Yan Min to distribute the reward silver, while he himself walked back to the main house. "I'm going to rest for a while. Wake me up before the banquet."

Yan Min, clutching the gleaming silver, nodded reverently. "Yes, my lord."

...

In the palace, inside the imperial study.

A figure knelt silently before Li Wuting — it was Shi Yi, the embroidered guard dispatched to spy on Ning Rushen.

The room had long been cleared of any onlookers.

Li Wuting gazed at the dark figure kneeling before him. "Speak."

The Jin YiWei bowed deeply and recounted in detail to the new emperor the events following Ning Rushen's return to his mansion.

When Li Wuting heard that Ning Rushen demanded praise from his servants, he let out a soft chuckle.

But soon after, he heard the report from the Jin YiWei:

"After receiving praise, Lord Ning then commands: 'Insult me.'"

"Each insult earns a silver or two."

Li Wuting's expression briefly turned peculiar.

The Jin YiWei, with great animation, mimicked Yan Min's demeanor, his voice booming, "Then the steward of the mansion asks—'My lord! Are you a starving ghost reincarnated?'"

(a Jin YiWei is secret police)

Li Wuting choked on his tea.

Unfazed, the JinYi Wei continued his report with precision, "Another maid pouted—'My lord's robes are so loose, it's simply indecent!'"

Li Wuting remained silent.

The Jin YiWei added, "Lord Ning's face flushed crimson as he discreetly fastened his robes..."

"Jin Yi," Li Wuting interrupted.

The Jin YiWei fell silent, lowering his head.

Li Wuting glared at the Jin Yiwei before him, feeling like his mind was stuffed with a chaotic mess, pressing his temples to alleviate the pressure.

After a moment, he spoke, "Get out and continue following."

The Jin Yiwei bowed and left.

Before departing, the emperor's voice sounded stern, "And next time, if you bring up nonsense again, don't bother coming back."

"...Yes."

·

Ning Rushen slept until nearly dusk.

When the knocking came, his mind was still foggy. The windows were tightly shut, casting the room in darkness. In his daze, he thought he was still in his dormitory.

Ning Rushen propped himself up, groggily calling out to his roommate, "Er Kang—why is it so dark in here? Why haven't you turned on the lights?"

The door creaked open, and a familiar voice replied, "My lord, it's me, Yan Min."

The candle was lit, illuminating the room.

Yan Min stood respectfully by the bedside.

Ning Rushen suddenly snapped awake.

Almost forgetting, he had crossed over to another dynasty.

He rubbed his throbbing temples and fumbled around on the bed, "Erkang, where are my clothes?"

"The master's outer garment is hanging on the rack," Yan Min handed him the Yunyan red robe, "And, sir, I am Yan Min."

Ning Rushen took the clothes, refusing his service, "That's enough, I'll dress myself. You may leave, Er... Yan Kang."

Yan Min: *expressionless*

...

As he entered the palace, the sky had darkened.

The evening banquet was ready, with red pillars, golden beams, and bright lights all around.

Guided by the eunuch, Ning Rushen took his seat, surrounded by colleagues from the Hanlin Academy, far away from the seat at the front.

After a while, the imperial procession grandly made its way from the other side.

Li Wuting, dressed in dark robes, took his seat above.

From a distance, Ning Rushen cast a glance his way. As if sensing it, the other's gaze seemed to linger on him for a moment, a subtle exchange.

But separated by the dazzling lights and the dance floor, the view was not clear.

Ning Rushen stroked his chin: Perhaps it was just an illusion.

After several rounds of music and speeches, the courtiers gradually loosened up. As the wine flowed freely for the third round, the emperor rose and left the banquet.

The atmosphere of the gathering immediately became more lively and relaxed.

Ning Rushen's colleagues around him enthusiastically brought their wine cups to toast: "I heard that from tomorrow, Lord Ning will be serving directly before the emperor. Truly the most favored in the court!"

Ning Rushen: ? Who's been spreading rumors again.

"Ha, my lord, no need to pretend ignorance! The imperial decree was issued to the Hanlin Academy this afternoon; we all know about it."

Ning Rushen took a sip of his wine, choking a bit: "So it's His Majesty!"

The courtiers raised their glasses in toast, one round after another.

Ning Rushen drank from his cup, feeling his body flush with heat. As he pondered how to excuse himself, a familiar sneer sounded from beside him, "Ha, returning to the fold, are we?"

"...!" He jerked his head up!

Geng Yan stood before him, holding his cup of wine with disdain written all over his face.

A lifeline appeared! Ning Rushen seized it instantly, pulling the person down firmly in front of his own seat. "What? Do you have something to discuss with me?"

Geng Yan was puzzled, "What?"

Ning Rushen furrowed his brows, "A hidden ailment?"

The colleagues who came to toast awkwardly glanced at each other and dispersed in small groups.

Geng Yan finally caught on, slamming the table, "You son of a—"

Ning Rushen quickly poured him a drink and handed him a walnut, "Calm down, calm down."

"Shameless!" Geng Yan cursed, then shot him another glare, "Hypocrite."

Ning Rushen explained, "I did suggest retiring to His Majesty, but he insisted on keeping me in the study."

His words were sincere, but even he felt a bit shamefaced after saying them. A glance revealed Geng Yan's clenched fists, clearly not buying it.

"... "

Ning Rushen sighed, "Being close to the king is like being close to a tiger."

Geng Yans intense stare softened a bit.

He swirled his wine glass, feeling melancholic. "I wonder how long I can keep this up."

The tension in his sleeves eased.

Geng Yan considered his situation, "You might be right."

Ning Rushen took a sip of wine, feeling down: This guy is quite gullible.

Seizing the chance to change the subject, he glanced at the empty seat above, "Why hasn't His Majesty returned yet?"

Geng Yan's expression turned odd, "You've forgotten about that too?"

Ning Rushen blinked, "Forgotten what?"

Geng Yan leaned in, whispering, "His Majesty must have gone to Changning Palace, where his birth mother, Concubine Xian, used to live."

...

As the banquet ended,

Ning Rushen was filled with gossip and alcohol. The warmth and fumes made him dizzy and flushed.

He stood up and left the palace banquet.

Outside, there was a pond hidden behind trees, cool and quiet.

Ning Rushen sat on a nearby stone, letting the cool breeze soothe him.

He reached to loosen his collar, feeling the warmth spread from his neck to his cheeks and ears, while the glimmering light of the lake reflected in his eyes.

After a moment, he faintly heard De Quan's voice from the other end of the path, "Your Majesty, it's getting chilly. Shall I bring you another garment?"

In the silent night, there was no reply.

"Your Majesty?" Ning Rushen stood up, feeling groggy.

A slight rustle of grass by his feet caught his attention.

Immediately, De Quan's sharp voice echoed, "Who's there!?"

Suddenly, two rows of palace lamps lit up the path by the lake. Ning Rushen faced the light, his flushed face and bright eyes now visible to everyone—

The serene atmosphere shattered instantly.

De Quan exclaimed in surprise, "Lord Ning?"

Ning Rushen stood there, dazed, unable to utter a word.

He saw Li Wuting standing in the darkness in just a thin garment and couldn't help but blurt out, "Your Majesty, please wear some clothes."

Li Wuting remained silent.

Ning Rushen's hair fell loose, slipping into his open collar, and his body exuded a strong scent of alcohol.

Seeing him, Li Wuting was reminded of the reports from the Jin yiwei:

A scoundrel with no sense of decency.

Seeing Ning Rushen behaving so disorderly, De Quan panicked, eager to intervene, "Lord Ning seems to be drunk! Please hurry and pay respects to His Majesty!"

Ning Rushen was feeling dizzy, but he could still understand the words. He took a few unsteady steps toward Li Wuting.

De Quan tightened his grip on his dust brush, fearing Ning Rushen might inadvertently offend the emperor.

Ning Rushen stopped in front of Li Wuting and performed a swaying bow, "This humble servant pays respects to Your Majesty."

Li Wuting glanced down at him and asked, "What are you doing here?"

"Just getting some fresh air."

"This isn't the place for you." Li Wuting's tone remained neutral. "Go back."

"Alright." Ning Rushen blinked, then slowly added, "Ill take my leave, Your Majesty."

With that, he turned to leave.

The crimson hem of his garment fluttered in the wind, tied around his slender waist with a silver sash.

Li Wuting briefly glanced at him before looking away, calmly instructing, "Return to the Yuxin Hall."

"Yes, Your Majesty." The palace lamps changed direction.

As they took a few steps forward, they heard a "splash" from behind, near the lake.

Splash? Li Wuting turned his head.

He saw the person who had just left stumbling into the water, their upper body already submerged, sliding down the lakeside with a gurgling sound.

"..."

De Quan exclaimed in shock, "Lord Ning!"

The palace attendants were about to rush to the lake, but Li Wuting's voice stopped them abruptly, "Wait."

"Your Majesty?" De Quan asked, his voice tinged with shock and uncertainty as he looked up.

Li Wuting's gaze darkened, but only for a moment.

Quickly, his attention shifted back to the "blub blub" of bubbles rising to the surface. Pinching the bridge of his nose in irritation, he muttered, "…Fine, let's fish him out."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 92 86
Explicit! Explicit! Explicit! Proceed w caution âš  The Peng Society for Gentlemen - a secret friend-making club for the homosexual men of the Great X...
902K 24.7K 43
Being a modern free spirited girl, Gongsun Li couldn't accept her fate as a cannon fodder concubine when she found herself transmigrate into her favo...
60.6K 1.7K 166
Yuan Li was an excellent logistics personnel on the battlefield. One day, after transmigrating, he found himself in ancient times as the son of a min...
1M 32.5K 57
As tragedy befalls on Zhan Yu , he soon finds himself transmigrated into a novel world as a character. To his disappointment, he became the villain w...