Chapter 27

They had memorized the Four Books and Five Classics, and had studied political history and strategies, confidently arriving here.

Ning Rushen kindly explained, "The exam papers are on the desks. You have fifteen minutes to discuss among yourselves. During this time, everything you say or do, every frown or smile, will be part of my assessment."

After saying this, he adjusted his clothes casually and added, "Oh, I almost forgot to mention, only the most outstanding performer will be selected in this assessment, and the rest will be eliminated."

"Only one person will be selected!?" There was an instant uproar in the room.

Especially among the aristocratic families under the command of the Five City Garrison, they looked at each other, their expressions changing slightly, quickly avoiding eye contact.

Only selecting one meant either you die or I live.

Ning Rushen noticed the subtle change in the atmosphere in the examination room, sat back satisfied, leaned against the chair back, and nodded:

"The desks are arranged in a semicircle facing me. Let's begin."

Ning Rushen propped his chin and calmly said, "Begin."

Rustling sounds filled the room as exam papers were taken out, and the candidates anxiously and blankly opened the exam paper and looked up:

"Your name is Xiaoshuai, a second-generation official from a wealthy family in the capital. Currently, you are a junior official in the Ministry of Works, with superiors but no subordinates.

One day, a sudden rainstorm causes the river bank to burst. The Ministry of Works is ordered to repair and rectify the river bank..."

They continued to read with ease:

"...but found that the treasury was empty. So, you applied to the Ministry of Revenue for a budget of five million taels. The Ministry of Revenue stated that the Ministry of Works still had a surplus of silver and did not approve.

You are now tasked with solving this problem.

Requirements:

- Fifteen minutes to organize and articulate your views.
- One person will be selected to report and present to the examiner.
- If no conclusion is reached, all will be eliminated."

The candidates were startled: ...!

What kind of question was this, wasn't this just a waste of time!? And what's with that last small print...

They glanced at Ning Rushen, the chief examiner, but he was just leisurely propping his chin, showing no intention of speaking, completely leaving it to them.

However, his eyes were clear and full of scrutiny as they swept over, causing the candidates to tremble.

Finally, one of the aristocratic youths cleared his throat and spoke first, "In my opinion, we should first explain the pros and cons to the Ministry of Revenue..."

Ning Rushen sat comfortably, listening to the discussion.

With one person starting, others joined in.

However, due to the hasty preparation and lack of experience, several people often spoke at the same time, either not giving way to each other or causing awkward pauses.

...

Half of the time passed unknowingly, and the debate in the room continued unabated.

Yu Tiao hadn't yet recovered from the shock before the exam, and was caught off guard by this cruel competitive mechanism, his mind in chaos.