Faustine the Sensible

By Tseales

Princess Faustine, a secret, self-taught sorceress, must leave her all too conventional kingdom in order to p... More

Faustine the Sensible (A Synopsis)
Prologue
Ch. 1~ Woman in the mirror
Chapter 2 ~ The rabbit trail ends and another begins
Chapter 3 Shock
Chapter 4. The Departure
Chapter 5. The Forbidden Enchanted Forest
Chapter 6. The Permitted Enchanted Forest
Chapter 7. The Lunar Festival
Chapter 8. The Watcher
Chapter 9. The Royal Apothecary
Chapter 10. Dinner in the Treehouse
Chapter 11. The Heart of the Forest
Chapter 12. Pranks and pixie dust
Chapter 13. R&R
Chapter 14. The Curious Case of Leif
Chapter 15. Popping Fizzle Berries
Chapter 16. The Dappled Grove
Chapter 17. Kitchen Escapades
Chapter 18. Weeks End
Chapter 20. What about the attic?

Ch. 19 Cinder Fever

38 2 0
By Tseales

~In which there is a frozen molten  cup and a chance of cosmic calamity~

Emerging on the other side Leif doubled over, releasing my hand to brace himself against the wall. Breathing in ragged gasps his color began to normalize. Slightly but nothing too reassuring

"Oh no! What's happening?" I cried, terrified by whatever affliction had come over him. He gestured weakly for me to wait. Just then Robin came rushing into the back room where the void way had dumped us.  I had been aiming for the lobby this time, however due to the circumstances I was a bit distracted. Better than a cabinet I suppose.  I asked her to fetch Luna who should be waiting for Leif and I out at the tables. 

"I'll be alright..." he murmured, though he still appeared shaken and was still very cinder.  My mind raced with questions, but I knew interrogation could wait. For now, I simply stayed by his side until Robin came back with Luna. She who took one look at her son and instantly sent Robbin to fetch something else. I couldn't hear what she said to her. 

"It's Cinder fever," she said as she rushed over to us across the room.  Just then Robbin rushed back into the room with a cup of tea. "Thank you," Luna said as she took the cup from her and began chanting words in a language unbeknownst to me.  The tea blazed hot like molten lava as she spoke but I could see icy frost forming on the outside of teacup.  "Drink," she said as she hastily handed the cup over to her son.  He took it and began to sip. I watched relief take over him as whatever healing enchantment in the glass took effect.

The cinder color began to rescind from his hands and face as he continued to drink the healing tea. 

"What happened?"Luna asked finally. 

"I'm not exactly sure but we came through the Void Way just now and it was strange.  First he said he wanted to try portal travel but then as we were just about to step through he changed his mind for moment but then decided to go ahead at last.  Then, in the Void Way he suddenly started heating up and his coloring became like cinders burning."

"I see.  The symptoms match that of cinder fever."

"Cinder fever! Whatever for?"

She hesitated a bit seeming to struggle with her words internally before she finally said in a meticulously careful fashion, "I couldn't say for sure, however, the symptoms have subsided now.  It would seem that the tincture was enough to quell the fever."

"But don't you think it strange?" I asked looking over at Leif who was now his normal complexion once again with maybe a faint red glow still subsiding over his heart. "What could have made him fall ill so quickly?"

"It must have been the Void Way," she replied her voiced almost pained as she spoke the words.  I could see that she was extremely uncomfortable about the subject.  Leif was still steadying his breath and drinking the tea but he seemed agitated as well, although that would most likely be due to the incident at hand.  I decided not to push the matter since he seemed to be recovering well, but I was more determined than ever to uncover the dark secret that seemed to haunt him.

"Come now, let's get you seated," Robin said at last, leading us briskly to a table. Though still shaken, Leif followed her lead. I knew further interrogation could wait - for now, I was just relieved to see him on the mend. The cheery din of the tavern appeared to revive him somewhat as we settled at a table. But his portal response nagged at me...what had he been so anxious about?

Once seated at our table, I realized just how famished portal travel had actually left me. The tavern was bustling with patrons and tantalizing aromas drifted from the kitchen. When the barmaid came to take our order, we took a moment to review the menu.

"I'll have the rabbit stew," Leif decided, some color returning to his cheeks at the mere mention of a meal.

"That sounds perfect, I'll have the same," said Luna.

For myself, the roasted pheasant caught my eye. I hadn't realized until now just how much I'd been craving a tender, savory meal. We handed over our menus, ready to satisfy our appetites. The scent of fresh bread, roasted meats, and warm soup suffused the cozy air. I was glad we'd decided to dine here this evening, comforted by the familiar atmosphere. The tavern's charm never failed to lift my spirits.

"So," Leif announced cheerily, "about those scrolls you've been so cagey about mother."

Luna chuckled a bit and drew out a red shimmering velvet pouch from a pocket hidden among the folds of her skirts. She took her time examining it carefully as she turned round and about between her fingers before finally placing it down on the table in front of her.

After a long while she said, "This is a very ancient and valuable artifact. It is my understanding that it once belonged to the Moon Clan, a group of sorcerers who lived here long ago. They were masters of lunar magic, and they used this scroll to perform their most rituals. Its called a Moonlight Wishing scroll."

"What is a wishing scroll?" I asked. In all my studies I hadn't come across such a name. I wonder if these people were the same as the wizards that Leif had mentioned to me the day we met. 

"It is a scroll that grants the wish of written upon it , but only under certain conditions. It can only be cast on a full moon and any enchantment casting must begin promptly at midnight.  Otherwise the it can have unexpected results to say the least. And there is no telling whether or not it's a beneficial or even pleasant surprise for that matter. 

"What kind of wish?" Leif inquired.

"Any kind of wish. The Moon Clan believed that the moon was a source of wisdom and harmony, and that it could guide them to their true happiness. They used this scroll to make their dreams come true, and to celebrate their beliefs."

"That sounds amazing," I said.

"It is, indeed. But it is also very dangerous. The Moon Clan was not the only one who wanted this scroll. Many others coveted its power, and tried to steal it or destroy it. There was a war between the clans, and the Moon Clan was almost wiped out. You can find the ruins of there old temples deep within the black rock sector of the forest.  They hid theirs srolls scattered in secret places. Places they had hoped no one would find it. They must have entrusted this o w  to the guardian of the lagoon, the silver willow. Hidden safe and secure until such a time as this."

"Then how did we find it?" Leif asked.

"I don't know. It must be fated. Maybe it sensed something in you, something special. Maybe it knew that you were worthy of the scroll, and that you would use it wisely."

"That seems strange.  Why would I find it? Leif practically lives at that lagoon most of the time and he's never once seen it before."

She smiled and said, "I believe the willow wanted it found by the both of you together. That's why I wanted to speak to you about it together and not separately. I won't tell you what to do with it. It is your choice. You can keep it, or you can return it to the lagoon. You can use it, or you can leave it alone. You can make a wish, or you can let it go. It is up to you. But whatever you decide, you must do it together. And you must do it soon before the next full moon ."

Leif and I exchanged glances.  I could see a thrilled expression in his eyes and maybe something else...fear? Personally I was thrilled. We could make any wish together using this. Anything.

Luna handed the scroll back to Leif and said, "Think it over and do be careful. This scroll is a blessing, but it can also be a curse. It can bring you joy, but it can also bring you sorrow. It can make you happy, but it can also make you regret. It is a powerful magic, and it comes with a price. A price that you may not be ready to pay."

Shortly after the food came, hot and ready to satisfy our ravenous appetites. For a while, we ate in contemplative silence, each of us mulling over Luna's words about the powerful Moonlight Wishing Scroll.

As I savored each bite of the succulent roasted pheasant, my mind whirled with the possibilities. To be able to manifest any desire felt almost too fantastical to be real. Yet the proof lay before us, an ancient relic of immense magic.

I stole sidelong glances at Leif, wondering if he pondered the same wondrous scenarios I did. His expression was unreadable as he methodically worked his way through the hearty blue rabbit stew. Only the occasional shared look with his mother betrayed the gravity of what had been revealed to us.

When our plates were nearly all clean, Leif finally broke the heavy silence. "Mother, you make it sound as if this scroll could be a perilous thing," he said tentatively. "Are you saying its power is too great for us?"

Luna's eyes softened. "I merely urge caution. Such cosmic energies should not be channeled on a whim. You know how powerful the forces of nature can truly are." She rose then, the conversation seemingly concluded for now. "No matter what you decide, I trust you both to weigh your options. When you have settled on a course, you know where to find me." And with that peculiar advice, she departed, leaving Leif and I to our swirling jumble of thoughts.

Not long after she departed we too decided to head home for the evening. A walk in the cool night air helped me feel lighter despite the revelations over our hearty meal and our worrisome travel by portal earlier on. Leif seemed to share my buoyant mood. Strange since I feel this trip had taken the heaviest toll on him personally.

"Well, that was certainly a lot to digest," he quipped with a wry grin. "And I don't just mean the rabbit stew!"

I groaned at his pun usage, falling into step beside him on the wooded path home. "Luna trully has quite a flare for the dramatic, doesn't she? With all the talk of ancient powers and the moonmancy now I'm half-expecting a lunar eclipse right this very instant!"

Leif snorted. "Please, this is my mother we're talking about. If there were an eclipse happening, she'd simply wave her hand and redirect the entire moon's course."

"Is that so?" I played along jovially. "I'll have to keep that in mind next time I require the realignment of celestial bodies."

As we wandered beneath the gently swaying trees, our banter continued in that familiar, effortless cadence. Poking fun and jesting a bit allowed some of the tension to dissipate into the night breeze.

"Of course, for all we know, a wish on that scroll could accidentally evaporate every puddle, pond and brook for miles around," Leif posited with a sardonic lilt. "We'd best be judicious with our whims."

"Or turn the entire forest into one massive bramble patch," I added with a grin. "Thorns upon thorns as far as the eye can see!"

We erupted into laughter, likely disturbing the slumbering forest creatures around us. But in that moment, I couldn't be more grateful for Leif's ability to find levity amid the gravity. Our journey home passed in that convivial spirit, the mysterious scroll's implications briefly uncoiling under the warmth of our banter.

When at last we had ventured as far as we possibly could together on our voyage homeward Leif and I prepared to part our separate ways. Pausing with that mirthful glint still sparkling in his eyes Leif said, "So maybe we should meet sometime next week? We need to work on the shop and probably brainstorm some properly mundane wishes to avoid cosmic cataclysms."

"It's a date," I agreed with an easy smile, giving his hand a brief squeeze before we parted ways.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

838 155 28
Monsters are real. But so is her power... It's October 2003 and Jackie Thorne has just started her senior year of high school. Things are good -- mos...
2.2K 186 37
In a far away Kingdom where the concept of evil has been blurred, there is one witch who has decided to take back the story. Prince Charming wasn't t...
224 9 9
This is a living collection where I cultivate the seeds of story ideas that have taken root in my mind. Within these pages, you'll find initial chapt...
59 2 10
One day is all Princess Aurelie has left. In just one day, she needs to survive her curse and get out of her tower so she can become the leader of he...