Heart of a Dragon (A Hiccup x...

By KingAnoniMus23

Mix Viking Blood and Sports, you get the most competitive, enthusiastic, and unforgiving group of scary peopl... More

Chapter 1: Where It All Starts
Chapter 2: An Old Friend
Chapter 3: Meeting the Hoffersons
Chapter 4: Justin?
Chapter 5: The Place my Mom and Dad Built
Chapter 6: The First Day of High School
Chapter 7: Welcome to THE PIT
Chapter 9: The Girl on the Court
Chapter 10: The Valkyrie
Chapter 11: The Brave, Fearless, and Beautiful
Chapter 12: Hard Cold Truth
Chapter 13: Eye for an Eye
Chapter 14: A Furry Mediator
Chapter 15: The Night Fury VS The Valkyrie
Chapter 16: It's Lunch, Not a Date
Chapter 17: It's just a Message
Chapter 18: Training Session
Chapter 19: Snap! I got Snapped
Chapter 20: A Misunderstanding
Chapter 21: Dating? Us?
Chapter 22: How to be a Fake Boyfriend
Chapter 23: Milady
Chapter 24: Headband
Chapter 25: Smooth Sailing
Chapter 26: Leave It All on the Line
Chapter 27: The Birth of the New Dragons
Chapter 28: First One Who Misses Lose
Chapter 29: A Kiss
Chapter 30: I Dare You
Chapter 31: Lie or Half Truth
Chapter 32: Sudden Invitation
Chapter 33: The Obsessive Self - Entitled Jerk
Chapter 34: Pressure is On
Chapter 35: It's GAMEDAY!
Chapter 36: The Debut
Chapter 37: Superstar in the Making
Chapter 38: A Bet is a Bet
Chapter 39: For the Win
Chapter 40: Getting Interviewed

Chapter 8: The Nickname

37 1 0
By KingAnoniMus23

I was completely in the zone, this was the same feeling I got during the final game of the tournament when we were down with just a few seconds left. 

I can see everything clearly, the movement of my teammates as well as the other teams and it was like the game was slowing down for me. 

I was able to steal the ball, pass it to open teammates, get blocks, grab rebounds, and importantly score. 

I was pulling up from anywhere and every shot was falling, I felt a smile formed and I knew that this is what I truly want to do.

The ball went out of bounds and then I noticed the number of people watching us doubled. 

"What's happening here?" I asked Fishlegs, "They're here for you. They want to see you play." he answered smiling, "Me? Why?" I asked myself as I get back on defense.

We won 21 to 9, I was walking off the court when some people offered high-fives which confused me but I gave it to them, "You were awesome." a kid told me and I just nodded in reply because I didn't know what to say.

I received a couple of high-fives and 'Nice Games' before I was able to sit, I was sitting on a bench when I saw the guys we played with giving me a nod which I also did.

"Hey Hiccup. You were on fire." Fishlegs enthusiastically said while sitting beside me, "It was fun. It has been a long time since I played 5v5 basketball." I replied, "The behind-the-back pass was my favorite. How did you even saw him?", "It was just a glimpse and I thought that he was open so I gave it to him in the quickest possible way and my left hand was nearest to the ball so I picked it up and threw it behind the back." I replied and I saw him wide-eyed, "You were thinking of all that in that small amount of time?" he asked and I nodded, "You are really different." he said.

"Oh. By the way, here's your $50 and the $50 that you won." he said, "Woah. I had fun and I even earned an extra $50. Thanks." I replied, "You know, if we start playing here regularly, we'll be rich." he joked, "How?", "With your talent, we'll be able to play on the number 3 or number 2 or even number 1 court in no time.", "I doubt that. I'm not that good.", "Don't be so humble.", "It's the truth. There are still many things I need to learn." I said, we watched a couple of games before leaving.

- - - - - 

I was woken up by my alarm going off, I pushed myself up and I felt the ache all over my body, "Ow... Ow... Ow... I forgot about this feeling too." I thought as I slowly made my way to the bathroom.

I was walking towards the bus stop when I felt a tap on my shoulder, "Hey Hiccup." I heard, "Oh hey, Fishlegs." I said, "Do you wanna go there again later after classes?" he asked and without a second thought I agreed, "Sure." I told him, we got on the bus and headed to school.

Fishlegs and I were talking about last night and anything basketball-related. "I can't wait for this year's basketball season." he said, "What's special this year?" I asked, "I'm gonna join the try-outs. Never in my wildest dreams that I thought of joining the 'Dragons'." he answered, "Dragons?" I asked, "Yeah. That's what the Men's Basketball Team are called the Berk Institute Dragons." he told me, "Cool name.", "Yeah... But the other schools call them 'Lizards'. I don't blame them. Even in our school, almost nobody attends their games because they were always sure they would lose.", "We ought to change that." I told him, "I agree." he nodded in agreement.

"But the talk of the nation is the debut of Astrid for the Valkyries. They are the favorites out of all the women's team." Fishlegs added, "Astrid, huh?" I mumbled, "Have you seen her yet?" Fishlegs asked, "No, I haven't." I told him, "Oh yeah. I remember back in the day that you told me you like Astrid." he smiled, "W-what are you talking about? I don't remember saying anything like that." I stuttered and he laughed at how awkward I was.

Fishlegs kept teasing me and we didn't realized that we already arrived at school. We both went to our class while walking along the hallway, I was checking something on my phone when I felt a bump on my shoulder.

"Oh! I'm sor-"I turned and I saw this guy about 6 feet and bulky already glaring at me and behind him was 4 more guys as the same size as him, "WATCH IT!" he shouted at me, "I-I'm sorry." I replied and he scoffed before continued walking away.

I was a little infuriated by that guy and his very punchable face. "Who was that guy? He thinks that he owned the hallway or something." I asked Fishlegs, "Uh... That was Snotlout. But he prefers to be called Scott. Star player of the Berk Institute Chiefs." he replied, "You were right, he's a bigger douchebag than before." I told Fishlegs as the bell rang so we continued to our class.

My day went as how I expected to go , discussions and discussions and... more discussion. "School officially started." I thought while I was putting back the things I used from the last subject, I looked at my side and I saw Fishlegs jotting down notes at incredible speed. 

The classes finally end, "Hiccup, let's go!" Fishlegs said excitedly, "Alright." I replied and we both went out and headed to 'THE PIT'. 

When we got there, there were already numerous games being played throughout the five courts.

Me and John went to a bench to sit and get changed, that's when someone approached us.

"Hey! Pipsqueak!" I heard someone say, I looked up and I saw the same dude we played against yesterday.

At first, I didn't mind him and continued tying my shoelaces, "Hey! I'm talking to you." he suddenly threw away my bag. "What the! What's your problem?!" I stood up from the bench and looked him directly in the eye, "Let's play ball. One-on-one." he said with a cocky expression on his face, "What?!" I said while I was getting angrier, "What the hell is this?!" I went to pick my bag and he pulled me by my arm and now I'm pissed off.

"Don't wanna play? Are you afraid? Wanna run to your mommy?" he said, "You want to play? Let's play." I felt my blood boil.

"Here's the wager; if I win, I'll get a thousand bucks and you'll never set foot in 'THE PIT' ever again." I said and I saw his expression changed, "What if I win?" he asked, "You won't." I replied and I heard cheers from the people around us, i could see steam blowing out of his ears. 

"After I'm finished with you, you'll wish that you never played basketball." he told me but I ignored him.  

They started clearing out the number 5 court and I was just sitting on the bench, "What the hell are you thinking?" Fishlegs scolded me, "Where are you even gonna get $1,000 dollars? he continued, "I won't lose." I told him.

I only agreed because I was just sick of him talking trash.

Narration:

As the number 5 court was cleared out, Hiccup started stretching and warming up while his opponent was still at the sideline talking smack to the people there.

As the sun slowly sets in the sky, the calmness and the cold night breeze that supposed to follow was never felt especially in the number 5 court in 'THE PIT'.

The game hasn't even started but the intensity brought by the quietness and seriousness of Hiccup's presence overwhelmed the cold night breeze.

Even his opponent that was still mocking him just a minute ago was suddenly quiet and felt the sudden change in mood as well, the once smiling, cocky, and arrogant façade he was showing disappeared.

Fishlegs was not saying anything because he didn't know that Hiccup has this side, it was like a dragon stalking his prey.

The game started with Hiccup's possession and as he checked the ball and received it back he released a three and immediately scoring.

It was Hiccup's possession again and he shoot a three and it swishes. Hiccup's face was serious and stern and didn't even changed when he made back-to-back threes.

It was his possession and his opponent went closer and played close defense but it didn't matter. 

Max dribbled towards the right then pulled back with a step back and there was a space between them, he shot a three again and it swishes. The audience started murmuring.

That afternoon, all of the games suddenly stopped from the 4 other courts as the players and on-lookers got curious of the growing number of audience in the number 5 court.

All eyes were on the game happening in the number 5 court. It was just a normal game of race-to-21, one-on-one match but it never felt like that. The way a kid, a high school kid, was playing seems surreal to many of them.

To those who already saw Hiccup played yesterday, this game was a surprise because of how different he was playing. Even Fishlegs was mesmerized and left speechless.

The intensity he showed that afternoon and of how he meticulously picked apart his opponent's game, his opponent didn't even stand the chance from the very beginning. 

Everyone who witnessed the events that took place in the number 5 court were all surprised, mesmerized, amazed and terrified.

The score was 21 - 0. Hiccup made 6 straight threes, followed by some jumpers and lay-ups and only missed one shot. His opponent wasn't even able to take a shot because Hiccup would steal the ball before he could make a move.

Max was given a terrifying nickname that day in 'THE PIT', "Night Fury".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

201K 3.7K 54
| Completed | Hiccstrid Following the great migration of the dragons going to the Hidden World, Chief Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III marries Astrid...
28.2K 349 33
Hiccup and astrid are best friends till they are 8 when astrid is forced to end her friendship with him but they still meet at the forest some times...
15.1K 298 14
[COMPLETED][REWRITTEN] Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third as the name clearly states was a hiccup and a runt. He used to make crazy inventions to k...
351K 11K 111
[BOOK 1/1] You are your average fangirl, but an outcast to your family. Your mother died when you were just 3 months old. Your father thinks you are...