Chaos Palette

By cherryistie

As Lilith begins a new chapter in Britain after enduring unspeakable loss, she never expected her journey to... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
Playlist
Author's Note

10.

4 1 0
By cherryistie

The next morning, sunlight streamed through the classroom window, illuminating the worn pages of their English textbooks. Mrs. Thompson announced a pair project, assigning Lilith and Oliver as partners.

"Literature?" Oliver groaned playfully, sending a mischievous wink towards Lilith. "Looks like we're stuck together, partner."

Lilith chuckled, returning the wink. "Looks that way, quarterback."

After class, Julia caught up with Lilith in the hallway, excitement gleaming in her eyes. "So, spill the tea, Lil," she teased, nudging her playfully. "What's the deal with you and Oliver?"

Lilith rolled her eyes, a smirk playing on her lips. "Nothing much," she replied coyly. "Just project partners."

They shared a knowing smile, the unspoken words hanging heavy in the air. It was good to have a friend who understood without needing to say a word.

As they prepared for their cheer routine, in the gymnasium, before the game, Samantha, Oliver and Ryle's ex-girlfriend, gave Lilith weird looks. She sauntered over, a smirk tugging at her lips.

"So, Lilith," she sneered, her tone dripping with jealousy. "You seem to have a thing for going out with my leftovers. First Ryle, now Oliver. What's next? You gonna run through the whole team?"

Lilith bristled at the implication, her temper flaring. "At least I don't treat them like disposable toys," she retorted, her voice sharp. "But hey, thanks for the concern."

The tension hung thick in the air, but Lilith refused to back down. Samantha's snide remarks were nothing new, but they still stung.

Tonight's the big game. The stadium buzzed with excitement as the players took to the field, the cheers of the crowd echoing in the air. The game was intense, each goal celebrated with wild enthusiasm from the spectators and the cheerleaders.

After scoring the last goal and securing the win for their team, Oliver was bombarded by cheerleaders all around him, but his eyes sought out only one – Lilith. She stood off to the side, her attention focused on her phone, a frown marring her features.

Lilith's heart sank as she checked her phone, only to find no reply from Ryle. She had texted him some time earlier. She had hoped to plan a quiet night in with him before starting with the finalising of the wedding cards. Sighing, she pocketed her phone, the weight of disappointment settling in her chest.

Oliver approached Lilith, a bottle of water in hand. "You did amazing out there," he said, offering her a bottle of water. "And you look beautiful, as always."

Lilith offered him a grateful smile, her heart fluttering at his compliment. "Thanks, Oli," she replied, taking a sip of water. "You weren't too bad yourself."

As they exchanged words of encouragement, Oliver leaned in close, his voice barely a whisper. "Meet me outside near my car after the game," he murmured. "I've got something I want to show you."

Lilith hesitated, her thoughts still lingering on Ryle. But when she checked her phone one last time and found no messages from him, she finally agreed. Something about Oliver being an open book with her made her feel very comfortable around him.

Outside, Oliver grinned, holding out the keys to his car. "Ready for an adventure?" he asked, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

Lilith took a deep breath, pushing aside her doubts. "Lead the way," she said, a hint of anticipation in her voice.

They drove to the beach, the salty breeze whipping through the open windows of the car. As they reached the shore, Oliver wasted no time in diving into the cool waters, his laughter echoing in the night.

Lilith laughed, watching from the safety of the shore. "You're crazy, Oliver!" she called out, a smile tugging at her lips.

Oliver splashed her playfully, his eyes dancing with mischief. "Come on, Lilith," he teased, gesturing for her to join him. "The water's perfect!"

Despite her initial reluctance, Lilith couldn't resist the playful gleam in Oliver's eyes. With a laugh, she shed her shoes and waded into the water, the cool waves washing over her.

As they frolicked in the surf, the weight of her worries melted away, replaced by a sense of freedom and exhilaration. For the first time in weeks, she felt truly alive.

When they finally returned home, Lilith found Ryle and Rose sitting behind the TV in her living room. Little Rose greeted her sister with a squeal of delight, but Ryle's smile seemed forced, his eyes filled with unease.

"I'll take a hot shower and dry up," Lilith spoke. "Do you mind waiting?"

Ryle nodded and turned his attention to the phone. After she came downstairs, in a cozy grey PJs, they started work. Ryle remained quiet as they worked on the last of the wedding preparations, his demeanor distant and withdrawn. Lilith checked her phone only to see that Ryle has actually replied to her previous text messages, only an hour or so after she texted him. She couldn't shake the feeling of guilt gnawing at her, knowing she had left him waiting while she spent time with Oliver.

As they sat and worked on the last preparations, Lilith couldn't resist a sarcastic remark. "Well, I hope you didn't wait too long for me. You know, the game went on, and we got caught up on the celebrations," she quipped, her tone bitter.

Ryle's expression hardened, a flicker of hurt flashing in his eyes. "That's not really my concern," he replied, his voice strained. "You could've at least let me know that you're not up to hanging out anymore."

Lilith's heart sank at the disappointment in his voice, her guilt weighing heavy on her conscience. "I... I got caught up. Plus, you didn't reply to my text messages," she mumbled, her gaze falling to the floor.

"Except I did, when I finished my workout," Ryle replied sternly.

As they worked side by side, the air thick with unspoken words, Ryle couldn't help but sigh and pause for a minute or two. "I'm sorry, Lily, I'm not entitled to your time," Ryle spoke softly.

Lilith interjected, "it's not like that, Ryle. It's just that—..."

Ryle cut in before she could finish, his tone laced with a sharp, mocking edge. "Oh, don't trouble yourself explaining. It's not like my day was anything special, and it kind of affected how I reacted, " he quipped, his gaze holding hers with a challenging glint.

Lilith found herself momentarily distracted by the sight of him. His hair, usually tied back in a bun, was let down today, cascading a little below his shoulders in a way that framed his face softly. It was a rare sight that added a layer of vulnerability to his appearance. His eyes, normally vibrant with mischief, looked tired now, shadows lingering under them like faint bruises. Every so often, he massaged the bridge of his nose absentmindedly, a gesture that spoke volumes of his fatigue and stress.

"And why's that?" Lilith inquired, her voice softened by concern. There was an unexpected flutter in her stomach as she observed him, a mix of concern and an inexplicable warmth that seemed to pool inside her whenever she was physically close to him.

"Oh, let's not dive into the tragic tale of my day," Ryle retorted, his words dripping with sarcasm. Despite the sharpness of his words, Lilith found herself drawn to the raw honesty in his tired gaze, a reminder of the depth and complexity that lay beneath his often playful exterior.

"Try me, Ry," she challenged, leaning in closer. The proximity to Ryle made her acutely aware of the subtle scent of his cologne, a hint of cedar and spice that seemed to wrap around her, comforting yet invigorating.

Ryle's smirk widened, his voice oozing faux enthusiasm. "Thrilling, but I'd rather not steal the spotlight from your adventurous evening. Instead, how about we discuss something far less mundane? Dinner, perhaps? Tomorrow at 6?"

Lilith felt a warmth spread through her cheeks. "Dinner? Sounds dangerously close to a date, don't you think?" she managed to say, her voice teasing yet laced with an undercurrent of genuine curiosity.

"Call it what you will," Ryle shot back, the playful smile reaching his eyes and momentarily dispelling the tiredness from them. "Just be sure to put on your prettiest dress, would you?"

Being this close to Ryle, feeling the warmth of his presence and the electric tension that seemed to dance between them, Lilith was reminded of the inexplicable connection they shared. It was a mix of comfort and excitement, a dynamic that seemed to pull her in despite the chaos that often surrounded their interactions.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 136 52
I took a deep breath and spoke up. "No, I don't," I took a pause before continuing, "because I can't marry a blind person." Aria Watson, a girl born...
4.3K 224 28
Tay is in love with one of her ex bestfriend the only problem is that she is not dating her. Instead Tay is in a relationship with Calvin who makes t...
27.7K 531 26
Kai and Charlotte have known each other since high school and used to be together but when Kai moved to London for his football career, Charlotte was...
298K 6.4K 52
Ethan Lane was your typical player. He was smooth, handsome, manly, successful and a total chick magnet. Women loved him and men wanted to be him. He...