In the Shadows

By ottermonster

Pessimistic Stephanie Thorne and her family just moved to a new town, and she's counting on a fresh start. S... More

Introduction
Part One: the Move
Part Two: the Dance
Part Three: the First Day
Part Four: the Gang
Part Five: the Plan
Part Six: the Date
Part Seven: the Decline
Part Eight: the Nadir
Part Nine: the Zenith
Part Ten: the Spring
Part Eleven: the Morning
Part Thirteen: the Thornes
Part Fourteen: the Hike
Part Fifteen: the Break
Part Sixteen: the Grill
Part Seventeen: the Divide
Part Eighteen: the Picnic
Part Nineteen: the Next Level
Part Twenty: the Retribute
Part Twenty-One: the Slaters
Part Twenty-Two: the Talk
Part Twenty Three: the Last Day
Part Twenty-Four: the Night Out
Part Twenty-Five: the Party
Part Twenty-Six: the Sand and Surf
Part Twenty-Seven: the Vast Space
Chapter Twenty-Eight: the Stages of Grief

Part Twelve: the Game

49 10 36
By ottermonster

    Walking in to the roar of school pride, it was a celebration like nothing I have ever seen. The entire student body was on its feet, taking every possible seat on the wooden bleachers and even spilling over onto the ground. They bounced and cheered and screamed with their whole being. Teachers lined the walls applauding as the cheer squad took to the center of the linoleum floor, dancing and flipping while the marching band twisted and stomped in unison. The song came to an abrupt end, the cheerleaders shook their pom-poms at the crowd. Somehow they managed to sound even louder.

    The principal stepped out from the sidelines and spoke into the microphone, "Gooood morning Redwood Falls high!"

    Another roar erupted from the sea from burgundy and white. Everyone dressed head to toe in the school colors. It was the first time the school around me really came into focus.

    "Everyone please help me in welcoming this year's varsity baseball team: the RFHS Dragons!" This is where the students really lost their collective minds.

    Fog rolled in as the heavy metal doors on the opposite side of the gym swung open. Members of the student council came running in, throwing red, white, and gold confetti in the air. Behind them, marching confidently, the senior baseball players entered the gym as if they were World Series champions.

    I clapped along as the team of tall boys enjoyed their adoration. They wore black jerseys with burgundy stripes and patches, fitted white pants, and matching red hats. I watched eagerly as they moved in close to the cheer squad, their coaches making the way down the line, shaking each players hand. The boy's playfully booed as one more team member walked in to the celebration. Anthony smiled at the scene, soaking in the praise, even while wearing the opposing team's colors. Everyone knew what a valuable player he was, despite being a year younger than the rest of the team.

    Seeing him charged me with electricity. I cheered a little bit louder, just for him. Through the noise, he managed to recognize my voice. Anthony stopped clapping and pointed at me, with a wink and a smile. A few of his team mates looked over at me, they leaned in quickly to ask him something. He nodded, smiling bigger. They turned back to me with a thumbs up, high-fiving Anthony.

    He continued watching me proudly. I was on top of the world.

***

    The minutes crept by like hours. Everyone was still charged from the pep rally; this was the most positive things have ever felt at school. For me, at least. I was aching for the day to end.

     Anthony left campus right after the celebration. He had drills to run with the Knights before the game. I think he said something about a nap, too.  The drama from this morning seemed long forgotten in the past to us both. I didn't have my phone to check in, but he seemed as confident and happy as ever.

    He had walked me to my class, kissing my forehead before he had to leave. His hands lingered in my hair, pressing his lips firmly against me. I felt Anthony smelling my coconut shampoo, he breathily deeply as if he wanted to inhale me. I wanted to let him.

    I sat at my desk, blissfully unaware of the lecture going on around me. Instead, I tilted my head lower to get a whiff of his cologne that had rubbed off on my shirt. My hair stood on end with excitement. The thought of him sent my nervous system into over drive. I wanted school to end, I wanted the game to end. I wanted to taste his lips one more time. I needed to be with him.

    For the first time, I was too happy to second guess any of my feelings. I held no doubts. Anxiety was nowhere to be found.

***

    I decided not to go home after school. It was the Friday before spring break after all. And there was only an hour until both teams began to warm up in the field.

    It didn't take long for the crowd to begin rolling in. Students, families, friends, and more began to fill the bleachers. Everyone was dressed with color coordinated exuberance. My plain black t-shirt and faded jeans paled in comparison. I gathered my things and hurried to the bathroom in the nearby courtyard. Other girls had the same idea, there was a line of students freshening up in the mirrors. For only a moment, I felt a bit out of place.

    "Hey! Stephanie right?" It was Ashley, from student council. Of course they would be the ones to go all out.

    "Yeah, hey, Ashley. How's it going?" I smiled politely.

    "I'm glad you came out for the game! We gotta show our school spirit!" She looked me over briefly before asking, "Wanna borrow some of our stuff?"

    The girls were painting their faces- a high school war paint- and fixing their hair into big buns and braids with burgundy ribbons. It was cheesy, but it looked fun. I haphazardly agreed.

    I chose a white bow that was tied to a hair elastic, Ashley pulled my hair into pony tail. She managed to make my wavy hair look fuller than I ever could. Next, she gently placed a streak of black paint across each of my cheeks.

    "There." She said proudly. "School spirited."

    I thanked the girls and hurried back for the bleachers. Both teams were scattered in the field, warming up.

    Another loud crack, a ball zooming through the air, then clunk the metal bat gets tossed through the air. Repeated, heavy, thumps of the ball smacking against leather gloves. The sounds pulsed in my ear, egging on my anticipation. I sat in the bottom row of bleachers, the metal was cold against my jeans. Time moved on, and more people came to the seats. Despite how crowded it became, I refused to move my seat by an inch; I remembered Anthony mentioning that he played third base, the 'hot corner' he called it. My seat was close, with an unobstructed view of third base.

The commitment to my seat was almost completely removed in an instant. Above the chatter I recognized Monica's voice, where she went, more trouble was to follow. Trying to be discrete, I looked from the corner of my eye: they sat across the isle, Monica and Sara snuggling up close with Eric, Nick, and T.P.

My stomach began to turn. Maybe I should just leave.

Before I even had the chance to wonder if they sat close by to antagonize me, I found myself surrounded. Forming a human wall, John and Brett sat close beside me. With a few other their friends who I hadn't been introduced to, the boys piled in. My view of the adversaries was gone. The tall skaters lounged back in the metal seats, making themselves comfortable: I watched them as they fiddled with their headphones, tucking cigarettes behind their ear, twirling their keys around their fingers. For a moment, it felt as if they didn't know I was even there. Until Maddy's long soft fingers worked themselves over my tense shoulders.

I turned around, she sat directly behind me, with a bright smile, "Hello, little one. I'm glad to see you."

"Me, too." I responded truthfully.

"Don't mind those big, smelly, boys. We weren't planning on coming, but Anthony asked us to sit with you during the game."

"He did?"

"He sure did, just this afternoon." She deepened her voice to do an impression, "I need you to look out for her tonight. Hehe, Anthony is so serious sometimes."

"He never acted like this for a chick before-" Brett chimed in.

John nudged him roughly, "Dude! She's not some chick, you remember what he said. Besides she can hear you."

The boy's chuckled, pushing each other playfully. I couldn't resist smiling.

Just then, two umpires in all black walked towards the pitcher's mound, shaking the coaches hands. It was time for the game to begin. The Dragons took the field first, the whole student body cheered. The first batter on the Knights stepped up to home plate, another section cheered. I applauded for both.

A few hours, and eight hard fought innings later, the sun had disappeared behind the hills, massive stadium lights illuminated the field. Fourth in line to bat, Anthony stepped out of the dug out. His friends and I hollered for him. Anthony's attention didn't break. He was completely in the game; his eyes locked on the pitcher, he tugged at his glossy black helmet before extending his bat to tap on home plate. He brought the bat up to his shoulders, knees bent, hands twisting tightly on the grip as he waited for the ball.

    I found myself holding my breath as I watched him. He held his stance still as the first pitch went whizzing past. The umpire called ball one. The pitcher checked over his shoulder to the other Knights player on second base, waiting to run. He straightened his stance, ready to throw.

    Ka-TING! The metal bat crashed against the ball, sending it reeling over second base. The player ran for third, Anthony dropped his bat and bolted for first. The Dragons outfielders scrambled for the ball, it landed between the center and right fielder. One of the boys scooped it up as Anthony's cleat touched down on first. The outfielder arched back to throw the ball, only to have it roll from the back of his glove. The Dragons fumbled again. Anthony and the other Knight bolted once more. His teammate scored a run as Anthony dove, sliding on his belly with arms extended. He touched second base and hopped to his feet.

    "And the Knights take another run, thanks to a double by number 22. That leaves the game tied, 15-15 in the top of the eighth." The announcers microphone echoed over the crowd.

    The next batter took a practice swing before heading to the plate, and I looked to Anthony. He seemed miles away. Right as I wondered if he could see me, he raised his arm slightly to point at me with a grin. He squatted down, preparing to run. I could feel my heart exploded.

    Anthony was able to steal third and score before the inning ended. The Knights held a one point lead. And now they had to defend it.

    The Knights, in their tarnished white uniforms, took the field. Anthony stepped to far side of third base, stretching his neck and beating his fist into the palm of his solid black glove.

    The game rolled on. Only one out to go, one player on second base. The Dragons sent up their best hitter. He was taller than everyone else on the field, with arms like logs. The tall teen crouched into his batting stance but still rose above the umpire who stood behind him. There's the wind up, and the pitch. He whipped the bat around, sending the ball hurtling towards left field. The batter began to run for first, but Anthony moved faster. He dove, arm suspended like Superman. It was a line drive to third; the ball rocketed to Anthony's glove like a magnet. The Dragon's play on second was making his way toward Anthony but froze. He had just turned to head back to second base when Anthony popped up. Pressing himself up off the dirt, Anthony took a quick double step before launching the ball to his teammate. The shortstop made the catch and tagged out the runner. A double play. That's the game!

    The students cheered the home team's best efforts, the visitors celebrated their win, the gang and I bounced on our feet for our personal sports hero.

    Each of the players formed a line, walked across the field to shake the hand of everyone on the opposing team in a show of good sportsmanship. As both teams made their way into their respective dugouts, one boy didn't. Anthony ran straight towards us.

    With a step and a hop, he climbed over the low chain link fence, and I was compelled to run to him. He lowered down, his rough hands grabbing my waist and lifting me into the air. Anthony spun me around, holding me tightly. He kissed me with giggles and smiles.

    He sat me down on my feet, looking at the white bow in my hair, "You look amazing, Steph. God, I'm so glad you are here."

    "You were amazing!" I said breathlessly. He pulled me in to his sweaty embrace one more time. My head rested on his chest, I listened to his racing heart. Anthony gently tilted my head up to look at him. His dark curls clung to the sweat on his neck, his whole cheeks were smudged with eyeblack, and his eyes were glowing with pride.

    I held tightly to his jersey as his kissed me again. His lips were soft and warm, his hand rested on the small of my back. I would have given anything to save this moment forever.

     In his arms, I finally felt safe.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.2K 1.2K 5
(Publishing 4/2. Leaving Wattpad 3/7) EXCERPT ONLY Being in love with your best friend is complicated. Being in love with him after your parents get...
3.7M 118K 41
You've got one boy. One girl. One pretty little lie. A perfect relationship. The perfect boyfriend. The perfect girlfriend. The perfect dates. The pe...
7.9K 129 35
June's senior year in high school starts probably the worst way possible - her first boyfriend and supposedly love of her life cheats on her and dump...
9.8K 377 34
●COMPLETED● Fan of erotic and heated love scenes? Well, you've come to the right place. No under 18s allowed🚫. The funny thing about love, is that...