The Villainess Should NOT Out...

By lil_megu

Elise is reincarnated as the typical villainess destined for downfall and despair. To ensure her survival she... More

Chapter 1: The Symbol and the Shift
Chapter 2: Welcome to Mystic Academy
Chapter 3: The Outshining
Chapter 4: The Protagonist Hates Me... I think
Chapter 5: Demonstration/Royal Summoning
Interlude 1: King/Queen
Chapter 8: Finally Some Respect?
Chapter 9: Accusations
Chapter 10: The New Headmaster
Chapter 11: Training Day
Chapter 12: Training Day Part 2
Chapter 13: A New Friend?
Interlude 2: Emily Koster
Chapter 15: Unexpected Apology
Chapter 16: Tournament Prelude
Chapter 17: Tournament
Chapter 18: Ethan's Fight
Chapter 19: Side Quest
Chapter 20: The Culprit/Introspection
Chapter 21: The Ball
Interlude 3: Ethan Verreault
Chapter 23: Training the Main Protagonist
Chapter 24: A Fateful Letter and a Return to Sender
Chapter 25: Lord of the Estate
Chapter 26: Romantic Encounter

Chapter 6: Tea Party

422 14 0
By lil_megu

Before I could exit the hall, a maid approached me.

"Lady Vancourt, you have been invited to have tea with Her Majesty the Queen," she said, her voice steady and professional. The invitation was unexpected, yet I figured I couldn't just say no.

Well, guess my time at the palace isn't over yet, I thought to myself, as I followed the maid through the palace's ornate corridors. The journey felt surreal, walking through such opulence, each painting and portrait whispering tales of Florabelle's past glories and silent tragedies. The anticipation built with each step, not just for the tea but for the conversation that awaited. What could the Queen possibly want with me?

The tea room was a marvel of elegance, sunlight filtering through large windows, illuminating the intricate patterns on the fine china and the array of pastry carts. The Queen herself exuded a serene authority, her gaze both beautiful and piercing.

"My, if it isn't the talk of the kingdom. I'm delighted you could join me." The queen had a calm and mature-like quality to her, yet she maintained an air of youthfulness.

"It's an honor to be here, Your Majesty," I responded, bowing fully. "I am Evelyn Vancourt."

"This is unofficial business, no need to be so formal," The Queen smiled warmly, easing the formality of the atmosphere. "Go ahead and have a seat, we have plenty of pastries."

I took the offered seat, marveling at the spread before me. The pastries were as varied as they were exquisite, each one a culinary masterpiece.

"Mmm looky here: the sticky toffee pudding," The Queen reached for one of the pastries, her movements graceful and deliberate. She held up a piece of the sticky toffee pudding, its rich caramel glaze catching the light. "This pudding," she began, her voice imbued with a hint of playfulness, "is much like yourself, Lady Vancourt."

I raised an eyebrow, confused about where this comparison was heading.

"It appears simple at first glance," the Queen continued, "but beneath the surface lies a complexity of flavors, each bite revealing depth and a richness that surprises and delights. Not unlike the way your demonstration at the academy revealed depths of power and potential no one expected."

Her analogy drew an awkward chuckle from me. "I suppose that's one way to look at it."

The Queen smiled, placing the pastry back on her plate. "Did you know traditional recipes call for Demerara sugar? You may not have heard of it but it's a partially raw brown sugar that gives it a subtle molasses flavor."

I couldn't help but wince, was this tea party about me or the pastries?

She took another delicate bite of the sticky toffee pudding, her appreciation for the dessert evident in her expression. The moment was quiet, the only sound was the soft clink of china and subtle moans of delight.

As the Queen feasted deeper into our assortment of pastries, a maid entered, carrying a tray adorned with a new variety of exquisite desserts. She moved with a grace that seemed in perfect harmony with the ornate surroundings of the tea room, placing the tray on the table with care.

The Queen glanced up from her tea, a smile playing on her lips as she surveyed the fresh offerings. "Thank you, my dear," she said with a warmth that belied the authority in her voice. Then, with a more casual, almost conspiratorial tone, she added, "Now, would you be so kind as to give us some privacy? We wouldn't want to be disturbed with more... distractions."

She immediately made sharp eye contact with me before playfully commenting. "It seems we are truly indulged for choice today."

As the maid nodded, a hint of a fear flashed on her face at the Queen's gentle warning, and quickly made her exit, closing the door softly behind her.

Uneasy, I grabbed a fresh pastry to distract myself, my thoughts swirling.

"Ah, you chose the spongecake. Quite the lovely choice. I just love the fresh strawberry jam, it is actually made in-house using special berries from the royal gardens," the Queen remarked, her tone mixing admiration with a touch of pride.

"Your majesty, Pardon the bluntness but what exactly did you want from me? I'm sure you didn't need a friend to discuss desserts with," I ventured, setting down the delicate fork. The question had been burning within me since the invitation, and the mundane conversations made me snap.

There was a moment of silence as the Queen's expression shifted from playful to serious. She placed her fork gently on the plate. "The main topic," the queen began, "keep in mind this is information that only the royal family knows about. In three years the demon king will be resurrected."

The information hit me with an anticlimactic thud. I already knew this event from the game, but I chose to follow along as if it were news to me.

"You mean to tell me the demon king is coming? Soon?!" Blurting that out I knew my acting skills betrayed my fake surprise, but the Queen didn't seem to notice, or perhaps she chose to ignore it.

"Yes, and that's why I need your help taking down the demon king. Our military will already be preoccupied with holding off his demon army, so we need a small party to face him."

"Understood, as a proud warrior of Florabelle, I will aid my kingdom in its day of crisis."

The Queen nodded, a look of relief washing over her face. "I appreciate it, Evelyn, Florabelle is lucky to have you on its side."

The atmosphere, previously charged with the gravity of our impending challenge, shifted as the Queen broached a new topic. "Speaking of aid, there is another matter I hoped to discuss with you, Evelyn."

I raised my eyebrows, curious about what could possibly follow the revelation of a demon king's resurrection.

"It involves my son, Prince Cornelius," the Queen began, her tone taking on a mischievous quality that seemed out of place given our earlier conversation.

I felt a sudden urge to sigh, already sensing where this might be leading. "Your Majesty, if this is about, well... marriage?"

"Yes, my dear! A marriage! To the prince!" the Queen exclaimed, clapping her hands together in delight. "He has quite a huge following among girls, most would say he is the most handsome young man throughout the entire kingdom!"

"I appreciate the offer, I'm sure he is a lovely gentleman, but I'd have to refuse."

The Queen leaned forward, a sly grin spreading across her face. "Oh, come now, Evelyn. Think of the... 'benefits'. Besides, Cornelius isn't so bad once you get to know him. And as his mother, I assure you, he wields a rather... impressive 'sword'," she added, the innuendo clear in her voice.

I choked on the bite of spongecake I had just taken, coughing slightly as I processed her words. "I'm sorry, are you suggesting—"

"Honestly, Cornelius has always been hopeless as a romantic." She continued, ignoring my spluttering disbelief. "But you, Evelyn, with your strength and prowess, could be the perfect match for him. Why, the tales of your battles and his... ahem, 'swordsmanship' would be legendary!"

I couldn't take this anymore, This... well, foodie demon was pushing the boundaries of royal dignity in ways I hadn't anticipated. I knew I had to escape her mischievous matchmaking before I found myself somehow accidentally engaged in a plot more suited to one of those overly dramatic courtly dramas than real life.

"Your Majesty, I really am flattered by the... unusual honor, the unique pastries too... but I think I have to head back to the academy now. Something about magical research that cannot wait," I stammered, hastily rising from my seat. The Queen's offer, while lavished with good intentions, was a labyrinth I'd rather not navigate.

The Queen's expression shifted from playful to a touch of disappointment, yet she maintained her grace. "Of course, I understand you have your studies, Evelyn. Do take home some pastries," she grabbed a velvet-lined box from beneath the table and began to fill it with an assortment of the finest pastries. "These should sweeten your studies."

With a final, somewhat awkward smile, I accepted the box, feeling its surprising weight in my hands. "Thank you, Your Majesty," I murmured, turning to exit the tea room.

"Oh, and Evelyn," the Queen called out just as I reached the doorway. "Do be careful about other countries, they're unlikely to overlook the emergence of such a powerful individual. We've already received inquiries and expressions of concern from our neighbors," the Queen added, her tone shifting to one of seriousness.

I paused, considering the weight of her words. "I'll keep that in mind, Your Majesty," I replied, my mind racing with the implications. The idea that other nations might view me as a threat or a valuable asset added another layer of complexity to my situation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 45.4K 173
Being a normal college student, Eunseo was reincarnated into a book she barely remembers as a no-name canon fodder. To survive in an unknown world s...
325K 9.4K 25
Jody was reborn into a mob character in one of her favorite novels. She doesn't even realize until she witnesses the heroine in action. Ever since th...
656K 22.1K 37
Rose was an artist and musician in her past life, she died somehow and got reincarnated as the villainess of an otome game she keeps hearing about. S...
164K 6.5K 18
I suddenly became the villainess, but it is already the end scene? - She doesn't even realize where she is or who she is. She undergoes the torture...