New Wings

By -sublimate

Scott Hoying was walking in the streets of LA when he sees someone jump from the top of a five-story building... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - The Boy
Chapter 2 - Clipped Wings
Chapter 3 - Interrogation
Chapter 4 - Visit
Chapter 5 - What's a Good Name for a Teddy Bear?
Chapter 6 - Group Text
Chapter 7 - The Road to Recovery
Chapter 8 - Will You Take Me?
Chapter 9 - Moving In
Chapter 11 - Meeting the Parents

Chapter 10 - Voices

352 25 10
By -sublimate

Sorry I didn't update last week! I was on a lake trip with my youth group and I didn't have time to update.

But I'm updating now! Yay! And this one is pretty long, too, so it's a double whammy!

Hope y'all enjoy it! ^^

______________

Scott's POV

After the call with Mitch's parents, he and I sat down to book a flight to Arlington.

"What day works for you, Mitch?" I asked him.

Mitch shrugged. "I don't have a job or anything to do really, so no. I would like to get there as soon as possible, though."

"All right." I replied. "How about we leave next Wednesday?"

Mitch nods. "Sounds good."

I nodded and booked the flight.

"Who will take care of Wyatt while we're gone?" Mitch asked.

"My friend, Kirstie usually comes by and feeds him whenever I'm out of town. He'll be all right." I reassured him.

"May I take a shower?" Mitch asks. "I haven't taken one in a long time."

"Oh, yeah. Of course. The bathroom is the first door on your right down that hall. You can use my shampoo and stuff."

"Got it. Thank you, Scott."

"No problem."

After Mitch walked away to take a shower, I inspected the pantry to see if I had anything I could use to make dinner.

I heard the water turn on and... singing.

It was faint, so I walked closer to the bathroom to hear Mitch's voice.

He was singing the same song he sung that first day I visited him.

His voice was so beautiful. I could listen to it forever.

The water stopped running, but Mitch kept singing.

The doorknob turned and I sprinted to the kitchen. I wouldn't want Mitch to think I was stalking him or something.

I pretended to study the nutritional facts label on a pack of ramen when Mitch walked in, humming.

"Hey, Mitch." I greeted, looking up from the ramen pack.

I was planning on taking a quick glance then look back down, but I caught myself staring.

Water droplets fell from the tips of his bangs, the latter sticking to his glowing olive skin in a tousled mess.

A towel was wrapped around his waist, revealing his bare chest.

I faked a sneeze so I could wipe away the drool that had begun to dribble over my lips.

"Bless you." Mitch says.

"Thanks." I replied, looking back at him.

"Do you have clothes I can borrow?" Mitch asks.

"Yeah, but they'll be pretty big on you." I replied, putting down the ramen and walking to my room.

"That's fine." Mitch reassures, following me.

I grabbed one of my tanks and sweat pants and handed them to Mitch. "Here."

"Thank you. Now, where shall I change? And what about underwear?"

I swore mentally. "Unless you want to borrow mine, you'll have to go commando."

Mitch sighs. "I guess I'll go commando."

"Are you sure?"

Mitch nodded. "We're going to need to do some shopping tonight."

~

On Wednesday Mitch and I woke up and got ready to go to the airport.

"I don't think I've been on an airplane." Mitch says while he was helping me packing. "In this life or my last."

"Technically, it's the same life." I pointed out. "You were Mitch Grassi then, and you're Mitch Grassi now."

"I suppose so," Mitch replies.

"Did you not take a plane when you moved to LA?" I asked.

Mitch shook his head. "I think I just packed everything into my car and drove. That still hasn't quite come back to me just yet."

I nodded. "Well, you'd better go say good-bye to Wyatt." I said, pointing out the door. "I'm just about to be done packing and then we need to leave."

Mitch nods and starts calling for Wyatt.

I packed the last of my clothes and my charger and zipped up my suitcase.

My stomach's been churning all day. I'm so nervous about meeting Mitch's parents. I don't even know why. 

Well, they are his parents, so naturally they would be worried about the people their son hang out with. They need to be able to trust that I'll take care of Mitch.

I took a deep breath and walked out of my room, rolling my suitcase behind me. 

Mitch was lying on his belly on the couch across from Wyatt. Mitch turned his head when I walked in. He nodded and leaned in to kiss the top of Wyatt's wrinkly head and sat up, getting off the couch.

Mitch grabbed his suitcase and said good-bye to Wyatt one more time.

"You ready to go?" I asked.

Mitch nodded. "Let's go."

Mitch's POV

I was both excited and nervous for a lot of things.

From what I heard from Scott, planes are usually really fun to ride, but I kept thinking of the worst case scenario: the plane crashing.

I was nervous to go back to my hometown, but also excited since I could see where I came from.

I had met my parents before, but I had gained more memories of them since they first saw them in the hospital. I was nervous about facing them again after putting them through the torture of your child not remembering who you are. I was excited to finally be able to talk to them and be casual since I remember most everything now.

I was nervous my parents wouldn't approve of Scott. Will I have to be able to move in with them and leave Scott behind in LA?

I was also excited for my parents to meet Scott.

Scott's an amazing person, so kind and generous. He was also so humble and supportive. He's helped me through this and he was there with me the entire time. I would probably be lost without him.

I kept thinking about these things during the ride to the airport.

Scott noticed.

"You okay, Mitch?" He had asked. "You look like you're off in la la land."

I blinked. "Sorry. I'm just thinking."

"Hey," Scott said softly. "I'm nervous, too."

I smiled a little. "Thank you."

~

Our plane was already boarding when we arrived at the airport.

Scott and I rushed to get on and take our seats.

Scott had gotten the window seat and I sat in the middle seat between him and a middle-aged woman whose eyes were glued to her phone.

I suddenly felt very drowsy.

I rest my head on Scott's shoulder and let my eyes close, slowly drifting off to sleep.

~

"Mitchie," I heard Scott whisper, shaking me slightly. "The plane's landed."

I open my eyes and am suddenly drowning in the oceans of Scott's eyes. I smile contentedly. "Okay," I reply sleepily, lifting my head off his shoulder. I yawned, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

I stood and slowly walked off the plane, still groggy.

I looked behind me once I stepped off the plane and saw Scott rolling two suitcases behind him. "You forgot your luggage." He said with a smirk.

I bit my lip. Riiiiight. Luggage...

I walked up to take my suitcase from him, but Scott yanked his arm back. "I got it."

"Scott, I can roll a suitcase." I argued, reaching again to take it.

"It's fine, really. It's just a suitcase, not an anvil." Scott insists.

I sighed in defeat and nodded. "Fine."

Scott grins triumphantly.

Scott's POV

Mitch and I would be staying at his parent's place while we were visiting. It was cheaper that way. Besides, like I could afford a hotel with money from my own pocket.

We hailed a taxi and gave him the address.

Mitch would occasionally remember certain homes or buildings, smiling. 

"You used to live here?" The taxi driver asked.

Mitch nodded. "I moved to LA a few years ago."

"I bet it's way different over there than it is here, huh?" The taxi driver chuckled.

"It is. Very different." Mitch replied, smiling.

The taxi slowed to a stop in front of Mitch's old house.

Mitch gasped a little. He sways a little, gripping the edge of his seat. He squeezes his eyes shut, letting out a soft groan.

"Mitch?" I asked, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Are you okay?"

Mitch opens his eyes as he looks at me. "I'm fine." He says with a smile.

"You looked like you were about to be sick." I said.

"I feel fine, Scott." Mitch reassures. 

There was something in his voice as he spoke those words. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, though. He did, however, sound exhausted.

Mitch opened the door and shakily got to his feet.

I quickly tipped the driver and climbed out. 

"Are you absolutely sure you're okay?" I pressed, opening the trunk to get our luggage.

Mitch nods. "Yes. A lot of memories came back to me and I got overwhelmed, that's it."

I dropped the suitcases on the ground and looked at him.

Mitch had his arms folded and a hip sticking out sassily. 

I couldn't read his eyes.

I sighed. "Whatever you say, Mitch." I muttered as I walked to the front door, rolling our suitcases behind me.

Mitch's POV

You fell for a reason. You were sent here because you fell from grace. You don't belong here, or there. You belong nowhere. Remember that.

I couldn't get those words out of my head. The ones I heard when I laid eyes on my old home.

Why did I hear these words? Who was speaking to me?

When I was falling, I heard Scott's voice.

But this voice struck a different chord. This voice was warm and kind, but it spoke such harsh words.

You belong nowhere.

I was hit with a wave of nausea. I swallowed bile, squeezing my eyes shut.

Scott expressed his concern, putting his hand on my shoulder.

I can't tell him this. I just can't. He barely believed me when I told him that I heard his voice as I fell.

Now he keeps asking me if I'm okay. I keep telling him I am, but he's a good friend, so he's being stubborn.

He finally just walks away with our luggage.

I took a deep breath and plastered on a smile as I entered my old home.

Scott's POV

We entered the Grassi household and were met with greetings and hugs.

Mitch was smiling as if nothing ever happened.

But something did happen. I know it did. Mitch just isn't telling me.

Maybe that's for the best.

_________________________

Yay! More awkward endings!

But I hope this chapter makes up for last week's update, which never existed lol, and if you enjoyed it, please vote and comment your thoughts about the new voice, how you think the whole thing with Mitch's parents will work out, etc.

Love y'all!

-Bai

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.6K 912 20
The rest of the band noticed a sudden change regarding Avi's mental state. One day they decide to find out what had caused it but they had never thou...
36.4K 1.8K 21
Book One in the Finder's, Keepers Series. COMPLETED. An anonymous tip led Detective Scott Hoying and his team to a warehouse full of hundreds of pict...
68.8K 3.9K 29
〝 "scott?" i said quietly, gaining his attention. "hm?" scott mumbled. i sat next to him and we didn't look at each other. "i'm sorry," i said after...
6.2K 244 33
COMPLETED 17 year old Scott Hoying's mother is shot dead before his eyes. He is forced to live with his physically abusive father who had abandoned S...